DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 PM

Default Does anyone ever mess with your gear?

At home? Church? Jam space?

It's normally not a problem for me, everyone is for the most part respectful of each other's things. Except when I leave the house I guess.

I have a 16" bass/snare/hat/ride setup for jazz but just use the snare stand from my main kit, so the snare sits on the floor in the corner when not in use.

I come home yesterday and said snare has migrated from it's usual safe home in the corner to the headrest of a couch and flipped it's snares on. Well, I wasn't so happy about that.

The reason it was moved was to 'mute it'. My roommate was playing bass loudly and the snares were making noise. That's definitely call for balancing my J1/Hazy200 skinned jazz snare on the reso head, on a damn couch, 4 feet off the floor.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Does anyone ever mess with your gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickropolis View Post
Church?
I think my drums would go up in a puff of red sparkle smoke in a church.

Have you considered balancing that jazz snare on top of his head?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

At home, no. My wife has no interest in the drums.

At church, it's the church's drumset, so as long as everything is at least still there on stage when I get there, I simply adjust and drive on. If I don't want kids to play the drums when I'm not around, I lock up the spare drumsticks in the worship team room.

Any other time I have drums set up in a public spot, I take the sticks with me. When I've had to leave my drums parked at a venue for a long time (theater gig, etc.) I drape a sheet or blanket over them. This is surprisingly effective.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:00 PM

I have never had anyone mess with my gear....anywhere except at home and then it was the grandkids. I don't mind the GKs messing around with them when I'm home but I have the luxury of shutting and locking the door to my music room when I'm not.

When I gigged, I just covered them with a bed sheet like Alparrott stated. Yes, it was very effective.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM

My bands singer has an annoying habit of leaning on my cymbals or standing there spinning them when she's talking to me.

She's only 17 (we're 24) so I try and not be too harsh on her but when you've told someone over five times to stop, you'd think they'd take notice!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboyt View Post
..when you've told someone over five times to stop, you'd think they'd take notice!
You’d think. Maybe there’s something else clouding her perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyboyt View Post
My bands singer...
Oh, right, that’d be it.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

At church, it's the church's drum set, set up in a sound booth. I've only had one problem with someone completly trashing it and moving things around. We were playing a Good Friday service, which we had practiced on for several weeks and I get there about 45 minutes before the service for sound check. I look into the drum booth and all the drums had been rearranged and moved since YESTERDAY's evening rehearsal. Talk about PO'd! Never found out who moved everything, but it hasn't happened since.

At home, my wife gets on the kit or Djembes and has some fun, and my 2 year old granddaughter gets to "bang around" and my kids, but apart from that, nobody else unless they ask.

I love the idea about the sheet or bedspread. Fantastic. Gotta use it next time.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member

They never mess with my gear a second time...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 08-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

The only problem i've ever had came from a bass player that insisted on crashing one of my cymbals with the neck of his guitar during gigs for "showmanship."

I asked him several times to stop but he would always continue so i secretly replaced the crash with a heavy ride cymbal. He hit the cymbal perfectly which broke the head stock of his bass. I just looked at him and smiled.

Never had a problem after that. Don't know why someone would do that to their guitar in the first place.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

In the mid 1960's, when sharing a stage with 2 other rock groups I let the other drummers use my drumset and cymbals. After one of the sets by another group, the drummer took off
my ride cymbal and tried to make it to the door....He Never Made It!!!!

Other than that one instance, no one has ever messed with my drum gear.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
The only problem i've ever had came from a bass player that insisted on crashing one of my cymbals with the neck of his guitar during gigs for "showmanship."

I asked him several times to stop but he would always continue so i secretly replaced the crash with a heavy ride cymbal. He hit the cymbal perfectly which broke the head stock of his bass. I just looked at him and smiled.

Never had a problem after that. Don't know why someone would do that to their guitar in the first place.
Before I read the second paragraph I was thinking "Whatever, let him go, he'll probably break the guitar before your cymbal" but I guess you beat him to it. :)
Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 PM

I used to leave my drums setup in our practice space, which was our bassists basement. He lived with some guys, and one of them asked if he could play my drums.I told him it was fine because he knew how to play. Apparently everyone who was there took that as an open invitation to mess with my stuff, because after that night I showed up for practice. My sticks where all chewed up, and a tip was busted. The heads had some dents, and there were even marks on the rims from the paint of my sticks. My kit hadn't been 'played' it had been abused.

I was very upset. And as such, I started bringing them home after each practice.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Ha!! Same here......bloody bass players. Mine did it because he knew it would get a rise out of me. I once returned the favour though and set his leg on fire with a cigarette.....that'll teach him.

But he's my best mate, even to this day. What are you gonna do....shoot the guy? He's been annoying me senseless for 25 years now anyway. Crashing my cymbals is the least of it. You should see how much of my beer he guzzles!! :-)
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Someone messed with my gear...

...once.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Gold Member

Only time I had any issues was when I had my Rogers kit set up at a church years ago. That was a jacked up sitch. Live and learn I guess. I remember vividly putting brand new blue hydraulics on them and some other group had a service with Mike Tyson on the tubs. Every head had more dents than a golf ball. I was a bit pissed. Glad I don't have to leave any of my kits set up anywhere where people have access to them without me knowing.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:50 PM

a universal problem. i suppose because we "beat" on them, they're open game? no one is allowed to touch my stuff. ever. i've tried to be nice, and let people sit in, and invariably, the visitor is a closet visigoth, leaving dents, rearranged drums/cymbals, and worse. if i'm asked to sit in on someone else's drums, i wouldn't dream of rearranging/ changing ANYTHING. seems like common sense to me. the incident that changed my permissiveness to stone wall forbidding was when a nice young man asked (or maybe i offered?) to use my sonors for a practice with my son in a jazz combo at our house. my drums are VERY easy to play. everything is set up in a logical, accessible manner. nothing weird. anyone could play this set, and this kid was polite and gentle- i've seen him play before, and he's a light hitter. i felt safe. what could go wrong? what could POSSIBLY GO WRONG? well, i get back from dinner, and they're done, the drummer is gone, and every drum is completely repositioned. every memory lock loosened and moved. every cymbal. everything. memory locks? are you kiddin' me?!? when i was in junior high, we had our end of year jazz concert. after the concert, there was a reception in the band room, with everyone in attendance. a very good time. a band mate came up to me and says, "i hear drums coming from the gym. i think someones playing your drums!" i ran over there, and, yup. a cro-magnon was unleashing his fury on my drums. those were my last and first misadventures. sorry. no one touches my stuff. :)
Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 AM

My little niece comes in my room sometimes and likes to drum like a pro lol, she's only 5 and she makes lots of noise. She does that even if I'm not present.
Had my ride taken away a few times by her, she was hiding it under her toys collection haha.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

At church never had any problems. Now at one of my last gigs there was a random drunk dude who felt the need to try to touch my drums. He actually upset just about all of my band asking to play with our gear. Never had a problem with Germans but of course it was a drunk American. Only times I ever had problems (so far) was of course with other Americans who were usually drunk.
Session Work
Old 08-15-2012, 05:17 AM
Gold Member

Not that have lived to tell about it.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:39 AM

I agree with all of you.. people think that because we play the heck out of our kits, they have free reign to play the heck on them too! What is it about a drum set just sitting there that makes it irresistible to play? The sheet does work imo.. it says "hands off pretty" affectively. Plus people may just be too lazy to remove the sheet and try putting it back!

I let people sit in on my kit all the time at my open mic gig, but they are either the other regular drummer, local drummers i've seen or know already, or are friends of one of the performers who vouch for their playing. I don't let total strangers who simply ask "may i play with those guys?" get up on my kit.

Unless they have been talking drums and I get a good friendly drummer vibe. It payed off when a guy got up and did all this great cymbal work! My gut almost said "no way" but he winked and smiled at me and said "are you sure?"... and them blew my mind!! that was the one and only time.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 AM

And yeah.. I think if you just leave out your kit uncovered, you're just asking for it.. at least disassemble it a bit and pack it away..
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
In the mid 1960's, when sharing a stage with 2 other rock groups I let the other drummers use my drumset and cymbals. After one of the sets by another group, the drummer took off my ride cymbal and tried to make it to the door....He Never Made It!!!!
Let me guess, he claimed he thought it was his?

That's really terrible. What a punk.