DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Travis Barker: Underrated or Overrated? What do you think of him?

I watched a live video of Blink 182 (crap name for a band, or anything else for that matter) and my impression is that he's actually quite good. He reminds me of metal drummers. He's got chops, no question about it.

My other impression is that the music his band plays SUCKS.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeithard View Post
ah you know sarcasm on forums is very easy to detect! lol

yes I am.. Been away from drumming the last 8 years but think I caught the bug again!

and I really liked Travis' playing style. He may not be too technical, but his swagger and flow is off the hook. stylish I may add too!

He rejuvenated the young drummer world in the early 2000's IMO
Yeah, the guys got style alright. He does come up with some interesting grooves too. Might not re-invent rhyth. But, put any other punk drummsr in his shoes and they would have opted for something more dull and common.

Con Struct - I agree, I don't like their music either, punk just isn't my thing but, the guy does have some chops and I don't get the hate mob. Is it 'cos he's done exceptionally well for himself? or that kids think he's great?

Do you nees to be Dave Weckl to get any respect these days? There's plenty of drummers with inferior chops who play less 'rebellious' music and recieve great praise on here.

End of the day he puts the right grooves down for the songs, has the chops to do what he wants effectively and the natural showmanship to impress and entertain a crowd.

Women love him!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
Con Struct - I agree, I don't like their music either, punk just isn't my thing but, the guy does have some chops and I don't get the hate mob. Is it 'cos he's done exceptionally well for himself? or that kids think he's great?
Hi Chunky, call me Jay.

See, I do like punk, real punk, and I'm here to tell you that Blink 182 is not a punk band. I don't really know what to call the music they play, they're neither fish nor fowl. But you can't argue with a career, so there that is.

I don't get the put downs either. He's a good drummer, precise, clean, and strong. That's technique any way you want to look at it.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 AM
spikeithard

He has done a lot for blink 182. The dude ranch album was good but Enema of the State was amazing.. (amazing for pop punk standards lol). It was a poppy beach party, summer time feel to it). Their new stuff is garbage.
He took Scott Rayners songs and styled them up.

example A...a song from dude ranch that was good but he just makes it jump out at ya.,,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdM6Q...eature=related

PS.. his OCDP kit is AMAZING.. sounds sick and looks sicker
Old 08-14-2012, 03:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
or that kids think he's great?
This gets my vote.

Nothing wrong with Travis, his playing or his career. I think that the fanboys are prone to overstating him and that draws all the grief. No fault of TB, but the poor sod is left to cop it nonetheless. Either way, I'm sure he's not in the least bit perturbed. He's too busy livin' the dream. More power to him.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

It never occurred to me that people consider 182 a punk band... I thought they were always in the "alternative rock" section.

Then again I hear all kinds of silly things from the "kids" these days. The one I keep hearing that makes me smirk is "pop punk". It just sounds weird.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

Well, actually back when they had a punk drummer, Scott Raynor, they were more punk. you gotta hear Cheshire Cat and Dude Ranch, the pre-Barker albums to get a feel for who they were. Barker brought a different vibe to the band. His first album with Blink 182 was Enema of the State, which is less punk and more alternative or pop-punk.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Hi Chunky, call me Jay.

See, I do like punk, real punk, and I'm here to tell you that Blink 182 is not a punk band. I don't really know what to call the music they play, they're neither fish nor fowl. But you can't argue with a career, so there that is.

I don't get the put downs either. He's a good drummer, precise, clean, and strong. That's technique any way you want to look at it.
Hey Jay,
Sorry, I'm showing my ignorance here, I don't know much about punk. I too had them down as 'pop punk' like watso said. I think that just means a more commercial type of punk?
Also, I've only hear Dude Ranch (not TB and more punky) Enema which TB tore it up style wise and probably contributed largely to their sudden increase in popularity then Take Of Your Pants And Jacket which moved further away from punk again and more creative grooves.

I haven't heard any other albums but, I've caught a glimpse of some of the stuff they did after that on music channels and it seems they went a bit emo/alt rock?

So I really don't know what to label them as. Atleast they didn't keep on writing Dude Ranch again and again. They change, so good on them!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:18 AM
spikeithard

found this just now.. Byron from Pennywise (a REAL punk rawk band!) playing with blink 182 in place of Travis.

does a MUCH better job lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8d4mopg2YY

how do you embed on here?!
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 AM
spikeithard

if anyone hasnt really seen him in action, here is some of work

some good grace note playing around 230 mark!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=EU4x48KXZhY
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 AM
Platinum Member

Okay... Honestly. Can he really be comfortable setup that way? How can it not tire your arm out to have it lifted above your freakin heart when you play the hats?
Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM

haters gonna hate!!! lol..... I don't necessarily think he's either. He's great at what HE does and that's what's important. He's a hugely successful drummer, not only in the drumming world but in the entertainment business in general, having a reality show and all that. That alone should make us proud as drummers that one of us is having that much success. It makes for good publicity for the entire drumming community. Anytime a drummer gets that level of success I'm proud. I was proud seeing Lars Ulrich in "Get Him To The Greek". It's been a while since we had a drummer in major motion pictures. We haven't had that since Gene Krupa lol.

I loved Travis's remixes of popular hip hop and rnb stuff like "Soulja Boy" or "Umbrella", and I love his track "Can A Drummer Get Some". Beyond his "drumming" abilities I love his passion for breeding punk rock and hip hop. I like some Blink182 songs but that's neither here nor there. I'm not a big Rush fan either but I love Neil Peart.

All in all, more power to him. Those who love him, LOVE HIM, and those who hate him, HATE HIM. But for those who hate on him, he's laughing all the way to the bank lol. Remember, if you don't have haters, you aint doin' it right :)