DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 PM

Default Song gets out of sync on my drum cover?

So, I am trying to make a video of me covering a song on drums. What I did is I filmed myself playing, while recording the audio on my laptop using one mic. I then sent my audio file of me playing from my laptop to my desktop. I imported the video of me playing the song.

So then I created the video. I muted the video of me playing and put the mic'd audio of me playing over the video, and I got it all synced up. I watched the cover and it sounded great, all synced up with a video.

But there's one more thing I'm missing: the actual song that I was playing along to. See, when I was playing the song on my drums, I had headphones on to listen to the song. So what I did is I put the actual song over my drum cover, and that's where the problem is.

When I put the song audio over the drum cover, the song goes slowly out of sync. By the end of the video, it's off by a lot. I know that I'm using the correct MP3 file that I listened to (it's the only "drumless" version of the song I have) so I don't know why it won't say in line with the cover itself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Re: Song gets out of sync on my drum cover?

i had a very detailed post answer for you ready but somethin happened when i clicked post and it erased it. so ill just try to give a more simple answer.

wen u play the same song on multiple devices like computers, mp3, cd players, ect... alot of the time the song isnt played at the exact same tempo on every device. alot of the time the tempo has a slight increase or decrease (such a small amount that u wouldnt notice normally) but when playing them simutaneously you would know. and being that you prob listened to a cd or mp3 while recording ur cover. you prob unknowingly followed along with the cd or mp3 which was playing at a slightly slower or faster tempo to start with. there starts ur problem. if your song was originally supposed to be 3:15 long but u played along with a cd or mp3 that was playing the song a hair slower. now your song is, say, 3:18 long.

this is your problem. when you upload ur recording of ur drums. its a recording that was played a hair slower or faster. and when you align your recording and that same play along song which is saved on ur computer (a completely different device and different file save), then theres the prob. the computer could be playing the song and the correct tempo or a tempo that slightly differs from what you where listening to while playing the drums. which would cause them to not sync right.

again you wouldnt notice unless you played the same song on a cd player and computer simutaneously. because its such a slight diff. but you would def notice wen syncing as they wouldnt match.

best way to fix this is to record your drums and what song ur playing along with (whats playing in ur headphones) at the same time together. and upload it to computer. that way its already synced perfectly. you would have to E.Q. everything before recording though. because itd be hard to set volume levels for ur drums and the play along song. when it was all recorded at once.

the other way to fix is harder. but anyways. if ur program will let you. go back to the part where u was having syncing probs. and fiddle around with the tempo of the play along song until it matches the drum recording. simply aligning beats at the beginning wont cut it. youll have to get the tempos to match perfectly before u sync and align the beats. remember to only adjust the play along song tempo NOT ur recording. because if u slightly increase or decrease the tempo on ur drum recording youll look weird when u add in the video as u will be either moving a little to fast or a little slow.

i am by no means a professional. im just a fellow musician whos been playing piano and drums for over 16 years and ive had alot of experience dealing with tempo issues when recording piano.

i really hoped this helped you if u ever see it, lol i spent a few hours cause i had to do this post twice, so i hope it helps.

also ive seen people with this same prob on other drum forums. and out of the hundreds of answers they got, not 1 was even remotely close to being correct. i dont understand how those people can put such stupid answers that are obviously not even close to correct. they would say stufff like its your camera or u need to clear ur computer cache, lol WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS.

those of u idiots that stumble upon this post. stop, read, and learn from a smarter person.

i may not have explained this answer very well but i assure u that if u do read this post. this is the CORRECT answer to ur problem. dont reguard any of the nonsense that other people put.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelimeat View Post
i had a very detailed post answer for you ready but somethin happened when i clicked post and it erased it. so ill just try to give a more simple answer.

wen u play the same song on multiple devices like computers, mp3, cd players, ect... alot of the time the song isnt played at the exact same tempo on every device. alot of the time the tempo has a slight increase or decrease (such a small amount that u wouldnt notice normally) but when playing them simutaneously you would know. and being that you prob listened to a cd or mp3 while recording ur cover. you prob unknowingly followed along with the cd or mp3 which was playing at a slightly slower or faster tempo to start with. there starts ur problem. if your song was originally supposed to be 3:15 long but u played along with a cd or mp3 that was playing the song a hair slower. now your song is, say, 3:18 long.

this is your problem. when you upload ur recording of ur drums. its a recording that was played a hair slower or faster. and when you align your recording and that same play along song which is saved on ur computer (a completely different device and different file save), then theres the prob. the computer could be playing the song and the correct tempo or a tempo that slightly differs from what you where listening to while playing the drums. which would cause them to not sync right.

again you wouldnt notice unless you played the same song on a cd player and computer simutaneously. because its such a slight diff. but you would def notice wen syncing as they wouldnt match.

best way to fix this is to record your drums and what song ur playing along with (whats playing in ur headphones) at the same time together. and upload it to computer. that way its already synced perfectly. you would have to E.Q. everything before recording though. because itd be hard to set volume levels for ur drums and the play along song. when it was all recorded at once.

the other way to fix is harder. but anyways. if ur program will let you. go back to the part where u was having syncing probs. and fiddle around with the tempo of the play along song until it matches the drum recording. simply aligning beats at the beginning wont cut it. youll have to get the tempos to match perfectly before u sync and align the beats. remember to only adjust the play along song tempo NOT ur recording. because if u slightly increase or decrease the tempo on ur drum recording youll look weird when u add in the video as u will be either moving a little to fast or a little slow.

i am by no means a professional. im just a fellow musician whos been playing piano and drums for over 16 years and ive had alot of experience dealing with tempo issues when recording piano.

i really hoped this helped you if u ever see it, lol i spent a few hours cause i had to do this post twice, so i hope it helps.

also ive seen people with this same prob on other drum forums. and out of the hundreds of answers they got, not 1 was even remotely close to being correct. i dont understand how those people can put such stupid answers that are obviously not even close to correct. they would say stufff like its your camera or u need to clear ur computer cache, lol WHAT A BUNCH OF IDIOTS.

those of u idiots that stumble upon this post. stop, read, and learn from a smarter person.

i may not have explained this answer very well but i assure u that if u do read this post. this is the CORRECT answer to ur problem. dont reguard any of the nonsense that other people put.
I wonder if your first post was more easily read, lol. It also sounds as if you have some subtle anger issues. Smile and take a breath, everyone is not trying to defeat you.

Dennis
Old 02-06-2013, 05:05 AM

that was a funny post (#2). anyway...

import the song you are covering into your DAW. allow it to playback on one track while you record your playing to another track.

its that simple. no need to record them together at the same time. that's just ridiculous.