DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ringo Starr... Good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
Hahaha

Insecto-core?

Beatle-sludge?

Playing:

'we all kill with our yellow sub-machine(gun)'s
That's creative. Ha!

Or he would've called himself Rango and joined an Acid-core post Cowpunk band and dressed himself like a lizard. Not quite as funny as your idea, Chunky. I tried.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
That's creative. Ha!

Or he would've called himself Rango and joined an Acid-core post Cowpunk band and dressed himself like a lizard. Not quite as funny as your idea, Chunky. I tried.
Hahaha Cowpunk? Is that a style or did you make it up?

Imagine all the arguments?

Should Ringo use triggers?

Ringo's double pedal technique - crap or natural?

Ringo doesn't use an 18 piece kit and he rocks

Ringo's low floor tom - do you think it clashes with Lennons down-tuned distorted piano?

Etc etc
Old 06-04-2012, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
Hahaha Cowpunk? Is that a style or did you make it up?

Imagine all the arguments?

Should Ringo use triggers?

Ringo's double pedal technique - crap or natural?

Ringo doesn't use an 18 piece kit and he rocks

Ringo's low floor tom - do you think it clashes with Lennons down-tuned distorted piano?

Etc etc
cowpunk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNvhk...eature=related

Would he use towels or G14's with 5 moongels on the snare drum?

I can see it now.....
Old 06-04-2012, 05:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
cowpunk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNvhk...eature=related

Would he use towels or G14's with 5 moongels on the snare drum?

I can see it now.....
Wow, just wow!

This is kind of silly coming from a metalhead but, I couldn't understand the words!

Definitely moongel! Tastes awful.... Everyones made that mistake though....
Old 06-05-2012, 09:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stramming View Post
I am a huge Beatles fan, and Ringo is usually the one who people say has "limited" talent. I disagree with this. Sure, he isn't John Bonham or Keith Moon level, but he is still a great drummer and very underrated.

What do you guys think?
Without Ringo, there is no John Bonham. He preceded many drummers who list him as one of their main influences. Modern Drummer, July 1997 had a sidebar on a feature article about reasons to respect Ringo - He started the trend of having the drummer on a riser, thus making the drummer an equal memeber of the band. He changed the sound of drums. He has near perfect tempo and was the reason the Beatles could record a song 25 times - set a metronome to 126 bpm to his solo on "The End".

He came from a hard-working nightclub backgorund which made him well-versed in many styles, not just jazz or metal. This made for more interesting songs (what normal people listen to and consume which means pay for) and diverse styles for the band to explore.

Ringo was considered the best drummer in Liverpool and was hired after George Martin was disappointed with Pete Best's studio work. Speaking of the studio. Ringo played on all of the Beatles' songs except for "Back in the USSR" & "Dear Prudence" as well as "The Ballad of John & Yoko." The 1962 release of "Love Me Do" was Andy White.

John Lennon chose Ringo to play drums on his solo album because he knew Ringo would take his music to the appropriate play. Ringo would also play on Paul and George's albums as well.

Ringo also hires great musicians to back him in his "All-Stars" like Gregg Bisonette and Shelia Escovedo. It sounds like a plum gig to me.

Ringo also used a technique to play the hi hats known as "butter the bread" to get that sloshy sound. Technique doesn't only mean "I can play 5 versus 7. Look how great I am." It encompasses quite a bit more.

Is Ringo the ultimate drummer - nah but neither is Thomas Lang, Dave Weckl or what ever shredder is in style this week. Ringo is about what is appropriate for the song and less about inflicting the song with technique and chops which may fit mathematically but doesn't fit the character of the song.

As for Charlie Watts - Terry Bozzio said it all. He said he was working with Mick Jagger on Mick's solo project and felt inadequate because he couldn't be Charlie Watts or play like him.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
http://www.skillpages.com/mike.mccraw
Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Without Ringo, there is no John Bonham. He preceded many drummers who list him as one of their main influences. Modern Drummer, July 1997 had a sidebar on a feature article about reasons to respect Ringo - He started the trend of having the drummer on a riser, thus making the drummer an equal memeber of the band. He changed the sound of drums. He has near perfect tempo and was the reason the Beatles could record a song 25 times - set a metronome to 126 bpm to his solo on "The End".

He came from a hard-working nightclub backgorund which made him well-versed in many styles, not just jazz or metal. This made for more interesting songs (what normal people listen to and consume which means pay for) and diverse styles for the band to explore.

Ringo was considered the best drummer in Liverpool and was hired after George Martin was disappointed with Pete Best's studio work. Speaking of the studio. Ringo played on all of the Beatles' songs except for "Back in the USSR" & "Dear Prudence" as well as "The Ballad of John & Yoko." The 1962 release of "Love Me Do" was Andy White.

John Lennon chose Ringo to play drums on his solo album because he knew Ringo would take his music to the appropriate play. Ringo would also play on Paul and George's albums as well.

Ringo also hires great musicians to back him in his "All-Stars" like Gregg Bisonette and Shelia Escovedo. It sounds like a plum gig to me.

Ringo also used a technique to play the hi hats known as "butter the bread" to get that sloshy sound. Technique doesn't only mean "I can play 5 versus 7. Look how great I am." It encompasses quite a bit more.

Is Ringo the ultimate drummer - nah but neither is Thomas Lang, Dave Weckl or what ever shredder is in style this week. Ringo is about what is appropriate for the song and less about inflicting the song with technique and chops which may fit mathematically but doesn't fit the character of the song.

As for Charlie Watts - Terry Bozzio said it all. He said he was working with Mick Jagger on Mick's solo project and felt inadequate because he couldn't be Charlie Watts or play like him.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
http://www.skillpages.com/mike.mccraw
While I get what you're saying and I agree with most of it, I've never heard Weckl ever play anything purely mathematical or anything that didn't fit the sound or feel of the song.
Ever.

So maybe not the best example. I'm a fan of Lang but, he'a been guilty more than once of the maths game.

But at the same time, Ringo isn't the ultimate drummer because he kept it simple and played with the Beatles. And 'buttering the bread' is hardly anything spectacular or unheard of but, Ringo was The Ultimate drummer for The Beatles and that's what counts.

It's pointless disgsrding other people talents for taking things further when the majority of Ringo fans get so mad when the technicians do the opposite back to him.

They are simpley at opposite ends of the spectrum. no-one is doing it wrong.
It's just yin and yang man.

Peace

Ah my God I'm turning into a Beatle!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
Actually, I don't have to admit that :)

I don't hear rock and jazz enthusiasts splitting hairs about such definitions, nor being so parochial about their particular sub-genre.
Marketing, dear boy. They're just letting prospective fans know what flavour they are.

I think young people (and the metal crowd is younger than the jazz and rock crowds) tend more than us oldies to enjoy the language of labels - trying to find words to describe the sensations they get from music.

Us oldies tend to give up going into that much detail because our memories aren't that good and we'd keep forgetting them!

As for jazz enthusiasts getting excited about definitions ... I'm thinking Wynton Marsalis and Pat Metheney. IMO they both make good enough points in their rants ... just saying ...
Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Us oldies tend to give up going into that much detail because our memories aren't that good and we'd keep forgetting them!
Hey, I resemble that remark! :)

Quote:
As for jazz enthusiasts getting excited about definitions ... I'm thinking Wynton Marsalis and Pat Metheney. IMO they both make good enough points in their rants ... just saying ...
Oh, there's no question that definitions are a huge point of contention in jazz, but that whole debate is of a different variety because it's not about sub-genres. The big question in jazz circles is whether something is or isn't jazz.

Of course, all of that stuff becomes every bit as silly as any other music-related argument.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:27 PM
Silver Member

I'll tell you what, Ringo is a helluva lot better than that big sluggo that McCartney plays with now. I don't know his name, but his drums always sound so flat, his beats have no snap, and his fills consistently sound like they're missing something. He almost ruins it for me ...
Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator - Mayor

You must be talking about Abe.............

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers...boriel_jr.html
Old 06-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverok View Post
I'll tell you what, Ringo is a helluva lot better than that big sluggo that McCartney plays with now. I don't know his name, but his drums always sound so flat, his beats have no snap, and his fills consistently sound like they're missing something. He almost ruins it for me ...
That would be the great Abe Laboriel Jr, he's the best "Ringo" besides Ringo for me :)
Old 06-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, sorry Abe, but he just doesn't cut it for me. It's not very often that I see a professional band on a huge stage, and think that I could make them sound better. But in his case, I want to de-throne him.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverok View Post
I love Abe but I think he's not quite a good fit for Macca. I preferred his predecessor, Blair Cunningham. Abe + DW drums aren't a good fit soundwise. For example, listen to the tune "Heather" from Paul's "Driving Rain" release (2001). It about sums up why I'm not a DW fan.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stramming View Post
I am a huge Beatles fan, and Ringo is usually the one who people say has "limited" talent. I disagree with this. Sure, he isn't John Bonham or Keith Moon level, but he is still a great drummer and very underrated.

What do you guys think?
Ringo had an easy style of playing that worked for the Beatles and a busier player wouldn,t have sounded the same in the group. The proof is that the band sold millions of records because of the drummer keeping good time and not being too flashy, When I started to play fifty odd years ago, I was told that a drummer should be felt, but not Heard, your chance to shine was when you had your sixteen or thirty two bar solo. I doubt nowadays if some drummers could accompany a group just playing TIME without some sort of embellishment AROUND their kit, Try it & see if your band members notice any difference in your playing. Finally who is the Richest drummer in the world? Must be RINGO. cheers T.O.R.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 PM

Ringo was always under rated in my opinion. Like was said he's rich so he did something right. :)
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Why can't this thread just die?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:18 AM

It lives to annoy you lad. Sorry cant help myself.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:50 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Why can't this thread just die?
Meanwhile the positioning of the snare mechanism thread is into its 4th page.

Could it be that we have covered every single significant mainstream area of drumming multiple times over and now we're just looking for things to say to keep up the conversation?

Roughly equivalent to a group of people in a pub who are pissed off their skulls and talking nonsense for the sake of it.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Could it be that we have covered every single significant mainstream area of drumming multiple times over and now we're just looking for things to say to keep up the conversation?
It could well be Grea :)

What did had for diner today? I had pasta with tomato sauce, an hamburger, some salad and a slice of pie :)

I wonder what Ringo had for diner tonight, and where does he put his snare's throw off in relation to the badge position...
Old 02-24-2013, 02:54 AM

Good......I'm sure he had something to do with Zaks playing as well...Zak is a lot more explosive. :]
Old 02-24-2013, 10:33 AM

Great drummer, but not much of a singer though. Watch the following video to see what McCartney thought of Ringo's abilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYrdb...vL561A&index=4
Old 02-24-2013, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
It could well be Grea :)
Had a really interesting chat with a couple of drummers the other night, over drinks,on this topic. The inevitable Bernard Purdie question came up again because Purdie apparently had a one on one conversation with one of them about 'The controversy'. The issue we discussed centered around the lack of consistency, drumming -wise in the Ringo catalogue. Over a large discography on gets to feel the nuances of a player and 'recognize' his playing. Ringo's didnt seemed consistent to these guys. They are convinced all of it isnt Ringo.

This however has nothing to do with my position on this, because I loved the Beatles music, period. Did George Martin make all that music? was is just Lennon & McCartney with the other two on a free ride? I couldnt really care less. I wasnt there. Nor am I a historian.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Renegade

Which tracks, Abe? I think Ringo had a lot more headroom than people assumed - probably because his groove was less smooth than, say, Bernard Purdie's. I think one of his strengths was breath and variation of feel - or at least I thought so.

Based on what he showed in the Ringo live clips I've seen, I can easily imagine him playing all other studio parts apart from the very quick ride work on I Feel Fine (studio). Actually, based on his studio output I was surprised when I saw his scorching live performance of I Saw Her Standing There on YT!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Had a really interesting chat with a couple of drummers the other night, over drinks,on this topic. The inevitable Bernard Purdie question came up again because Purdie apparently had a one on one conversation with one of them about 'The controversy'. The issue we discussed centered around the lack of consistency, drumming -wise in the Ringo catalogue. Over a large discography on gets to feel the nuances of a player and 'recognize' his playing. Ringo's didnt seemed consistent to these guys. They are convinced all of it isnt Ringo.

This however has nothing to do with my position on this, because I loved the Beatles music, period. Did George Martin make all that music? was is just Lennon & McCartney with the other two on a free ride? I couldnt really care less. I wasnt there. Nor am I a historian.

To answer the question,it was around 99% George Martin.George Harrison wrote plenty of tunes while he was still a Beatle,but there was an arrangement as to how many of his songs were recorded by the Beatles for release on a Beatle album.

Take two Harrison song for instance "Something" and "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".The first being one of the most covered sons of all time,and the second not all that far behind.He wrote "Something" in.....1965.

Lennon and McCartney weren't really interested in "While my guitar gently weeps",and none were happly with the guitar solos,so they were going to drop the tune fron the album.

Enter Harrisons pal Eric Clapton,who helped Harrison finish the tune,and who's guitar sole you hear on the song.So it was a bit of an ego fest in the fab four at times.Each had a role to play,

As far as consistency,from "meet the Beatles" to" Ringo 2012",his style is consistant and distinct.I can tell Ringos playing when I hear it,and I think it was one of the most consistant things about him,and Beatle music.Listen to Lennons first solo album...Ringo on drums.Or Peter Framptons first solo album "Wind of Change".The tune "The Lodger" has Ringo's signature all over it.

There's plenty of evidence debunking Perdies lies.If your looking for inconsistency,just look at how his stories have changed over the years.The man never learned that the worst thing about telling a lie....is that you always have to remember it,just the way you told it the first time.

Also..if this were true,someone.......anyone who could confirm this,would have come foward and written their own tell all about the Beatles and Purdie playing on studio tunes.....and made a ton of money.

There are a few Beatle tunes that Macca plays drums on...so maybe thats whats throwing them off.If Ringo wasn't cutting it.....he would have met the same fate as Pete Best....count on it.Remember.....Lennon was pushing to replace Harrison with Eric Clapton on the "Let It Be" album.Lennon and McCartney could be pretty cut throat in order to get their way,so if Ringo wasn't playing up to their or George Martins standard,he would have been outside lookin in.

Steve B
Old 02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
.Lennon and McCartney could be pretty cut throat in order to get their way,so if Ringo wasn't playing up to their or George Martins standard,he would have been outside lookin in.
So true. he quit during the White Album and they all went to his door, and begged him to come back. Evidence of his status in the band.

George Harrison also always spoke highly of Ringo....his great feel and playing for the song.

The debate on this topic gets so silly. What do people want?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Administrator - Mayor

What I find funny is the fact that many bands have had other musicians play on albums and in the studio, but for some reason even if someone did sit in for Ringo, no matter who it was, Perdie, McCartney, Pete Best, Frank Sinatra, the Easter Bunny, so what. Regardless of whether you liked them or not, they were the most popular band of the past 50 or so years(not to open another debate, which seems to be the norm on this site) and none of the "haters" or "doubters" is going to change history. I own everything they ever published, and if I found out Ringo didn't play on any of the albums I could care less. Get over it people.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:22 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
The debate on this topic gets so silly. What do people want?
I agree :)

Whatever we're going to discuss here about one of the most famous drummer in the whole drumming history to date won't change anything, ever, what's done is done, and really well done if you ask me.

I love the Beatles, I love Ringo, period, whatever's going to be said here or in any other threads about him/them won't change my mind, I settled on my opinions of them over 40 years ago, and I have not seen anything like them since... :)
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Which tracks, Abe? I think Ringo had a lot more headroom than people assumed - probably because his groove was less smooth than, say, Bernard Purdie's. I think one of his strengths was breath and variation of feel - or at least I thought so.

Based on what he showed in the Ringo live clips I've seen, I can easily imagine him playing all other studio parts apart from the very quick ride work on I Feel Fine (studio). Actually, based on his studio output I was surprised when I saw his scorching live performance of I Saw Her Standing There on YT!
It was more more or less whats already out there in the public domain, Grea. The one he remembered was 'She Loves You', and there was a also lot of studio post production work with just Epstein in the studio ( no Bealtes, no George Martin ), and he went in and fixed things.. added/deleted a little of this, a little of that to whatever was there already. This account was different from his well known public claim that Ringo wasn't on any of the 21 tracks that he'd worked on. Not sure if Epstien has ever said anything on this topic.

Agree with you completely on the live clips of Ringo.

@Steve - "To answer the question,it was around 99% George Martin." That was the point of the discussion. Apparently there was so much back & forth, and post- production work on all the albums, no one seems quite sure how it all went down.

Last edited by aydee; 02-25-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
@Steve - "To answer the question,it was around 99% George Martin." That was the point of the discussion. Apparently there was so much back & forth, and post- production work on all the albums, no one seems quite sure how it all went down.
At some point someone in the band circle has been claimed to be pivotal - from the claim that Ringo held them together live, or that John was the main talent, or nothing would have happened without Paul's creativity and drive, or George being the best lead player in the band and unacknowledged talent ... then there was George Martin and Geoff Elphick taking credit for many things in their memoirs.

Each played an important part but in the end it was The Paul and John Show - the rest is detail. Whatever, I don't hear anything in the Beatles catalogue that sounds more like Purdie than Ringo.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 PM

The evolution of the Beatles music was astounding and I would say Ringo did his job and was a good drummer for the band. On the same token, if I were making a list of my favorite drummers, the list would get pretty long before Ringo's name would be listed. Of course there's no accounting for personal taste.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Yes to what Steve said about if Ringo wasn't cutting it Paul would have voiced his opinion and often did. Nah, Ringo's playing is golden. Perfect for the band. Paul played drums on "Ballad of John & Yoko" and "Back in the USSR" if memory served correctly. That's it. And Purdie is a bonehead.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

The TRUTH is quite simple really... Bernard "Pretty" Purdie liked Ringo's playing SO much, he wished it was his own playing, that's when he had the idea about making the world believe it was himself playing on those Beatles tracks, hell I wish I had played and created these wonderful, unique, signature grooves myself :)
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

Good or bad, the members of a band are what make it a band. Put different members in any band and the end results will change, sometimes subtly, sometimes alarmingly. Without the four guys who were the Beatles the results would not have been the same.
If you read the Books about the band and listen to un used takes of some of the most famous songs ever written it is obvious that the input of the four members was crucial to what we ended up with as the Beatles back catalogue. The original version of the songs penned by L and Mc often changed hugely after being introduced to the rest of the band.
Change ANY of the members and the results would have been different.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Good or bad, the members of a band are what make it a band. Put different members in any band and the end results will change, sometimes subtly, sometimes alarmingly. Without the four guys who were the Beatles the results would not have been the same.
If you read the Books about the band and listen to un used takes of some of the most famous songs ever written it is obvious that the input of the four members was crucial to what we ended up with as the Beatles back catalogue. The original version of the songs penned by L and Mc often changed hugely after being introduced to the rest of the band.
Change ANY of the members and the results would have been different.
good points.

without Ringo we would not have The Rooftop Concert, The Abbey Road Album Cover, the song titles "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "A Hard Day's Night" or the fills on "A Day In The LIfe".

musically speaking, i always say just listen to the way he kicks in (and THROUGH) "She Loves You".

good to the last drop.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Whatever, I don't hear anything in the Beatles catalogue that sounds more like Purdie than Ringo.
+1.

There's little doubt Purdie has ghosted on many an album.....some may even surprise us. But if it had have been Beatles tracks as he claims, someone other than Purdie would have let the cat out of the bag by now. So many books have been written, so many "in the know" people referenced for for those books and so many opportunities to bring it to light......yet it never has been. The rumour only ever stems from one person and one person alone. You've gotta ask why that is.

Pretty Purdie is a very convincing player. Not such a convincing bullshit artists, I'm afraid.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 AM
Renegade

Not only that, Jules, but the fact that people think some of his parts are so good that they must have been played by a ghost drummer says something about the quality of the drumming.

Agree Mikel and Dr SraFu - synergy is a mysterious thing.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
+1.

There's little doubt Purdie has ghosted on many an album.....some may even surprise us. But if it had have been Beatles tracks as he claims, someone other than Purdie would have let the cat out of the bag by now. So many books have been written, so many "in the know" people referenced for for those books and so many opportunities to bring it to light......yet it never has been. The rumour only ever stems from one person and one person alone. You've gotta ask why that is.

Pretty Purdie is a very convincing player. Not such a convincing bullshit artists, I'm afraid.
+1..I've been saying that for years Jules.With all of at least a hundred Beatle tell all books out there,someone would look to make money from the sensationalism that story would cause.Yet nobody has.....HHHHHMMMMM.

Ringo has also played on 2 Lennon solo albums,4 from Macca and 7 From Harrison.He's also played on at least 35 other artists studio albums including Peter Frampton,Jeff Lynn,Tom Petty and BB King just to name a few.(note to naysayers.....check the discography )

Two things the naysayers should take away from this is,firstly the "Ringo was only barely good enough and simple enough for the Beatles,and just lucky" statement I hear so often.....is just the classic argument from ignorance.Because after all,they all could have done a better job.:)

Secondly,Pudrie never learned the first rule of telling a lie,and that's you have to remember exactly what you said,the way you said it and be able to repeat exactly what you said......forever.Purdies story has changed over the years with the biggest lie being Ringo didn't play on ANY of the Beatles tunes.

And as Purdie said he can't remember which ones they were except for Yeah Yeah Yeah????.

Great drummer...................lousy liar.

Steve B
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 AM

On behalf of the group and himself, John Lennon hoped they passed the audition. I think they did. They were that good, including Ringo.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:35 AM

For the most part, the Beatles were more about beautiful simplicity than showy technical ability and the like and Ringo fitted that dynamic as well as anyone. I'd also argue that he developed a subtle style all his own over the course of his Beatles career. The only reason people are 'down' on him is that he had the misfortune to be in a band with Lennon, McCartney and Harrison (and the greater misfortune that they let him sing and write his own material from time to time).

Poor old Ringo, eh?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:44 AM

I LOVE Ringo. He totally had his own thing going and he fit in well. He's definitely part of The Fab Four. It never hurts when ya get by with a little help from your friends!