DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Ringo Starr... Good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Fast going off any movie you own if it is not Blue Ray?

So the recording quality is more important than the content. " Better is better" is it?

As far as I am concerned a good story well told is worth more than all the new technology.

How many cinema audiences have you heard coming out of a filming saying "I have no idea what that was about but the recording was crystal clear you could almost see the pores in there skin.

It is the story being told or the song that is king, what it is recorded on makes no difference. The early black American Blues recordings are still sublime, despite being recorded in a living room in one take, direct to disc.

I have all the new technology but it fails to make a poor song sound any better or a poor film more watchable.
In that case I wrote and recorded THE BEST song ever! Better than anything you have ever heard but, I recorded it on my phone, outside in the wind.

You'll love it though....

Your not the only one who can take things out of context....

Have I gone off my Alien and Terminator collections? course not, are you kidding me? but, i have rebought them. first I replaced my video tapes with dvd's and then my dvd's with blu-ray and yes, it does make them marginally better.
But like I said, better is better.

Do you understand the context of what i'm saying this time?

Also, yeah old session guys.played without a click, that's fine they had great time. Not everyone does, so a click helps. Does this make sense?
Old 06-02-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
For me, so much of music is about inspired moments and passages and the kind of lead ins and outtros that makes those passages work. As a hobby hack, I'm not going to sacrifice that vibe with a click. All I need is the pad, a 'nome and some discipline to tidy up my stroke and tempo.

The economic rationalist suits that pushed this quantised musical Farex on us can go take a running jump, and if you have already been indoctrinated to be their bitch then be my guest ;-)

Marry Me.
Seriously. Marry Me.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:32 AM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky - Hellraizer View Post
In that case I wrote and recorded THE BEST song ever! Better than anything you have ever heard but, I recorded it on my phone, outside in the wind.

You'll love it though....

Your not the only one who can take things out of context....

Have I gone off my Alien and Terminator collections? course not, are you kidding me? but, i have rebought them. first I replaced my video tapes with dvd's and then my dvd's with blu-ray and yes, it does make them marginally better.
But like I said, better is better.

Do you understand the context of what i'm saying this time?

Also, yeah old session guys.played without a click, that's fine they had great time. Not everyone does, so a click helps. Does this make sense?
Actually a click doesn't instantly give someone good time. If you don't have good time you'll have trouble grooving with a click. And nobody uses a click anymore anyway -- they use a drum machine.

A metronome is a tool. It's reference. It helps develop good time. What's the problem with that? Playing a track with a drum machine is a great way to get solid sounding tracks. Would it better to have 6 great players who groove together in a special way? Sure. But I do a lot of recording by myself, so there's no option. And a lot of guys who think they're grooving hard realize it ain't so great once it's recorded and they hear it back.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Fast going off any movie you own if it is not Blue Ray?

So the recording quality is more important than the content. " Better is better" is it?

As far as I am concerned a good story well told is worth more than all the new technology.

How many cinema audiences have you heard coming out of a filming saying "I have no idea what that was about but the recording was crystal clear you could almost see the pores in there skin.

It is the story being told or the song that is king, what it is recorded on makes no difference. The early black American Blues recordings are still sublime, despite being recorded in a living room in one take, direct to disc.

I have all the new technology but it fails to make a poor song sound any better or a poor film more watchable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plangentmusic View Post
Actually a click doesn't instantly give someone good time. If you don't have good time you'll have trouble grooving with a click. And nobody uses a click anymore anyway -- they use a drum machine.

A metronome is a tool. It's reference. It helps develop good time. What's the problem with that? Playing a track with a drum machine is a great way to get solid sounding tracks. Would it better to have 6 great players who groove together in a special way? Sure. But I do a lot of recording by myself, so there's no option. And a lot of guys who think they're grooving hard realize it ain't so great once it's recorded and they hear it back.
I'm not saying a click gives you good times I'm saying playing along to a click or drum machine can certainly help you achieve better time, recording OR live, so your tempo doesn't stray if you get too carried away.

But I agree with everything else you said.

I'm actually shocked at how many people are against the idea. Not a good mindset if you want keep with it and not get left behind
Old 06-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Gold Member

"Drum machines"? They still make drum machines? Are you posting on a dial up connection? :P
Old 06-02-2012, 07:13 AM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
"Drum machines"? They still make drum machines? Are you posting on a dial up connection? :P

Ha-- you know what I mean. Any program that has "drum parts" and not just a click.

I still refer to recording TV shows as "taping." lol
Old 06-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Gold Member

I am not against click tracks btw. I took a long time off from the kit. I practice with a click all the time. I am kind of burned on modern production,especially metal productions.Clicked,quantized,sound replaced and re-amped.Modern productions are kind of generic.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
I am not against click tracks btw. I took a long time off from the kit. I practice with a click all the time. I am kind of burned on modern production,especially metal productions.Clicked,quantized,sound replaced and re-amped.Modern productions are kind of generic.
I think it's actually a good thing (if they get a good sound). It's improved and created more sub-genres in metal. How?
Players have had to become better to play so 'clean' and tight and with the super compressed guitar sounds it's spawned even more complexed and in my opinion interesting syncopations, alot of the time played in unison with the bass drum.
Drummers wouldn't have dreamed of attempting some of those syncopations on bass drums at such high speeds years ago but with some bands quantizing and some not even using drummers at all and sequencing 'impossible' fast and tight patterns it's raised the bar and now it's the standard, now drummers ARE actually playing what so many of them thought impossible years ago. Including myself.

So it's actually pushed not just the genre forward but music AND the art of drumming/playing guitar.

Some may say it's sterile and we're playing like machines.

Others will say 'oh my God, it's so clean and tight, they're playing like machines'.

Whatever turns you on really...

Last edited by Chunky; 06-02-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

No real argument with any of that. Still wont agree that it's necessarily "better" than what came before because that angle really sounds as if it sets out to diminish a musical history, for mine. But there's little doubt that in some cases the bar has been raised....partially due to "perfect time" and partially because that's the nature of evolution anyway.

But, as for this:

Quote:
It's improved and created more sub-genres in metal.
It's now at the point where each new band is a sub-genre in its own right anyway. Do we really need more? :-)
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
No real argument with any of that. Still wont agree that it's necessarily "better" than what came before because that angle really sounds as if it sets out to diminish a musical history, for mine. But there's little doubt that in some cases the bar has been raised....partially due to "perfect time" and partially because that's the nature of evolution anyway.

But, as for this:

It's now at the point where each new band is a sub-genre in its own right anyway. Do we really need more? :-)
It's not that I'm saying this new stuff is better than the old. There still is traditional metal with more traditional production.
But this stuff is great for other styles of metal.

And YES course we need more! lol. It keeps it fresh and interesting.
admittedly there are loads of sub-genres in metal I don't really like or listen to or even know what they are but, every now and then one pops up that grabs me and i suppose the ones I don't like did the samen for the people who do like it.

I personally think some of them are more of a 'scene' thing. Kids coming up with 'cool' new names and being the most hip and up to date when really it's not different enough to me to be a new genre or barely even an evolution.

Nu-metal grabbed me back in the day when it arrived and some of the tech/prog stuff then djent has more recently. You could argue that all 4 of them are just 1 genre in various staged of evolution though.

I always love my traditional metal and even that to some is not 'traditional' like Black Sabbath and co, I mean more Pantera. What would you class that as, Power Metal?

Anyway my band likes to mix all of my favourites there but keep the majority of it metal and add bits of the others to keep a more 'songy' song just with cool/interesting bits going off here and there. Some songs are pure djent though.

Sub-genres always sound ridiculous don't they? Especially if your not into them! lol
Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Henri, imo I think sometimes when people say a 'guys got great time', or he 'buries the click', they think he is hitting a decimal point or a dot..like a bullseye or something. Actually, a better way to think of it is a horizontal line, and the art lies in where on that line the drummer places the beat. That entire line is still 'in time'.

Perfect quantization is a terrible thing. To err is human, I thought.. and human is good.

Totally agree Abe, ...and the horizontal line analogy describe it perfectly IMO.

Quote:
I have forgiving ears, which is great for me as a listener but not as a player.
I guess I fall in the same category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
Marry Me.
Seriously. Marry Me.
UFF, is that you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plangentmusic View Post
A metronome is a tool. It's reference. It helps develop good time. What's the problem with that? Playing a track with a drum machine is a great way to get solid sounding tracks.
I use the metronome for exercises, for grooving and feel I prefer to use a drum machine, I would also create patterns on a DM for practice purposes, it feels more musical than a "beep", the goal is simple, if I don't hear the programmed patterns in my headphones anymore, I must be on time.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:52 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrangefunk View Post
Marry Me.
Seriously. Marry Me.
How much do you earn again?

:)
Old 06-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Hahahahahahaha! brilliant!
Old 06-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Renegade

Quote:
I'm nobody's bitch - unlike you lol

Ref: my earlier post ...
Old 06-02-2012, 04:40 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Quote:
Ha! Chunky...

... may I point out that Polly's not deaf, lol.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I think it's actually a good thing (if they get a good sound). It's improved and created more sub-genres in metal. How?
Players have had to become better to play so 'clean' and tight and with the super compressed guitar sounds it's spawned even more complexed and in my opinion interesting syncopations, alot of the time played in unison with the bass drum.
Drummers wouldn't have dreamed of attempting some of those syncopations on bass drums at such high speeds years ago but with some bands quantizing and some not even using drummers at all and sequencing 'impossible' fast and tight patterns it's raised the bar and now it's the standard, now drummers ARE actually playing what so many of them thought impossible years ago. Including myself.

So it's actually pushed not just the genre forward but music AND the art of drumming/playing guitar.

Some may say it's sterile and we're playing like machines.

Others will say 'oh my God, it's so clean and tight, they're playing like machines'.

Whatever turns you on really...
I am a metalhead. I enjoy extreme metal ,as well as the classic stuff I grew up on. I agree bbuuuuuttt IMO productions have became cookie cutter. Bands don't have their own sounds anymore,producers do.I actually have friends who are fairly successful metal producers.Even they are going back and trying to make organic sounding recordings.

Last edited by Bull; 06-02-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Ha! Chunky...

... may I point out that Polly's not deaf, lol.
Lol, it was just the echo bouncing back!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh no, not this again...we'll have DMC saying 'there are more people who play metal than want to listen to it' in a minute...
Old 06-03-2012, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
Oh no, not this again...we'll have DMC saying 'there are more people who play metal than want to listen to it' in a minute...
Well, I was going to, but now I get others to say that for me. Like you just now.

My message is spreading!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Yes, because the fussy sub-genres are laughable, "Satanic stoner melodic stench doomcore." It would be cool to come up with a software name generator for metal genres.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:36 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Yes, because the fussy sub-genres are laughable, "Satanic stoner melodic stench doomcore." It would be cool to come up with a software name generator for metal genres.
Here are some subgenre lists - the tech to develop a random generator for these would be easy for a Javascript or PHP programmer.

Thing is ... metal is far from alone in having numerous sub genres:

Metal
Alternative
Avant-garde
Black
Cello
Celtic
Christian
Crossover thrash
Crust punk
Death
Death 'n' roll
Death/doom
Deathcore
Deathgrind
Djent
Doom
Drone
Extreme
Folk
Funeral doom
Funk
Glam
Goregrind
Gothic
Grindcore
Groove
Grunge
Industrial
Mathcore
Medieval
Melodic
Metalcore
Neo-classical
Nintendocore
Nu
Pagan
Post-metal
Power
Progressive
Rap
Sludge
Speed
Stoner
Symphonic black
Symphonic
Technical death
Teutonic thrash
Thrash
Traditional heavy
Unblack
Viking

Jazz
Acid blues
Acid
Asian American
Avant-garde
Bebop
Bossa nova
British dance band
Cape
Chamber
Continental
Cool
Crossover
Cubop
Dixieland
Ethno
European free
Free funk
Free improvisation
Free
Gypsy
Hard bop
Jazz blues
Jazz-funk
Jazz fusion
Jazz rap
Jazz rock
Kansas City blues
Kansas City
Latin
Livetronica
M-Base
Mainstream
Modal
Neo-bop
Neo-swing
Novelty ragtime
Nu
Orchestral
Post-bop
Punk
Ragtime
Shibuya-kei
Ska
Smooth
Soul
Stride
Straight-ahead
Swing
Third stream
Trad
Urban
Vocal
West Coast Gypsy
West Coast

Rock
2 Tone
Acid rock
Afro punk
Alternative dance
Alternative rock
Anatolian rock
Art punk
Art rock
Bandana Thrash
Beat
Bent edge
Big beat
Bisrock
Blues-rock
Breakcore
Britpop
C86
Canterbury sound
Cello rock
Celtic punk
Celtic rock
Chicano rock
Christian punk
Christian rock
Coldwave
College rock
Comedy rock
Country rock
Cowpunk
Crossover thrash
Crunkcore
Crust punk
Crustgrind
Cybergrind
Dance-punk
Dance-rock
Dark cabaret
Dark rock
Darkwave
D-beat
Digital hardcore
Dream pop
Dunedin sound
Electric folk
Electronic hardcore
Electronic rock
Electroclash
Electro punk
Emo
Emo pop
Emo violence
Ethereal Wave
Experimental rock
Folk punk
Folk rock
Freakbeat
Funk rock
Garage punk
Garage rock
Garage rock revival
Glam punk
Glam rock
Gothabilly
Gothic rock
Grebo
Grimecore
Grindcore
Grindie
Group Sounds
Grunge
Grungecore
Gypsy punk
Hard rock
Hardcore punk
Heartland rock
Horror punk
Indie pop
Indie rock
Indietronica
Indorock
Industrial rock
Instrumental rock
Jam rock
Jangle pop
Jazz rock
Jersey Shore sound
Krautrock
Lo-fi
Madchester
Manguebeat
Manila Sound
Math rock
Medieval folk rock
Mod revival
Nardcore
Nazi punk
Neue Deutsche Härte
Neue Deutsche Welle
Neoclassical dark wave
Neo-folk
Neo-prog
Neo-psychedelia
New prog
New rave
New wave
New Wave of New Wave
New Weird America
Nintendocore
Noisecore
Noisegrind
Noise pop
Noise rock
No wave
Nu gaze
Oi!
Ostrock
Pagan rock
Paisley underground
Piano rock
Pinoy rock
Pop punk
Pop rock
Pornogrind
Post-Britpop
Post-grunge
Post-hardcore
Post-punk
Post-punk revival
Post-rock
Power pop
Powerviolence
Progressive rock
Protopunk
Psychedelic rock
Psychobilly
Punk blues
Punk jazz
Punk rock
Punkcore
Queercore
Raga rock
Rapcore
Rap rock
Reggae rock
Riot grrrl
Rock Against Communism
Rock and roll
Rockabilly
Rock in Opposition
Rock noir
Roots rock
Sadcore
Samba-rock
Screamo
Shoegazing
Shock rock
Ska-core
Ska punk
Skate punk
Skate rock
Slowcore
Soft rock
Southern rock
Southern sludge
Space rock
Straight edge
Stoner doom
Stoner rock
Stoner sludge
Street punk
Sufi rock
Sunshine pop
Surfabilly
Surf music
Swamp pop
Symphonic rock
Synthpop
Swing revival
Taqwacore
Third Wave Ska
Thrashabilly
Thrashcore
Trashabilly
Trip rock
Tulsa Sound
Twee pop
Viking rock
Visual kei
Youth Crew
Wizard rock
Zeuhl

Blues
Acid blues
African blues
Blues-rock
Blues shouter
Boogie-woogie
British blues
Canadian blues
Chicago blues
Classic female blues
Contemporary R&B
Country blues
Delta blues
Detroit blues
Electric blues
Gospel blues
Hill country blues
Hokum blues
Jazz blues
Jump blues
Kansas City blues
Louisiana blues
Memphis blues
Piano blues
Piedmont blues
Punk blues
Rhythm and blues
Soul blues
St. Louis blues
Swamp blues
Texas blues
West Coast blues

Country
Alternative country
Cowpunk
Blues country
Deathcountry
Gothic Americana
Gothabilly/Hellbilly
Hokum
Outlaw country
Progressive country
Psychobilly/Punkabilly
Psydeco
Rap country
country crunk
country psycrunk
Red Dirt
Rockabilly
Rock country/Cosmic American
Soul country
Techno-Country
Texas Country
Americana
Appalachian
Australian country
Bakersfield sound
Bluegrass
Heavy Metal Bluegrass
Nu-grass
Old-time bluegrass/Appalachian bluegrass
Progressive bluegrass
Reactionary bluegrass
Bush band
Cajun, Cajun fiddle tunes
Christian country
Classic country
Close harmony
Cowboy/Western
Dansband
Folk rock
Franco-country
Gulf and western
Honky Tonk
Instrumental country
Lubbock Sound
Nashville Sound/Countrypolitan
Neotraditional Country
Neo-Rockabilly
New country
Old-time
Pop country/Cosmopolitan country
Sertanejo
Southern rock
Traditional Country
Truck-driving country
Western swing
Zydeco

One band, one genre!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Thing is ... metal is far from alone in having numerous sub genres:

...One band, one genre!
And it goes without saying that you will attach a song link to every single sub-genres you've listed here for us to fully appreciate the differences between them :)
Old 06-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

Don't tempt her! You know she will!

Then we'll have to listen to all of them!
Old 06-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member

That's quite an impressive list there, Polly.

I kept trying to think of something that may not be there, but everything I can think of is already there. I describe my own sound as a Folk Bluesrock.

My question is, what style would the Beatles fall under? They were always evolving throughout their career and they experimented with all sorts of various instruments.

I like Beatles songs as a whole entity. Honestly, I never listened to the Beatles for any one specific member, including Ringo. Never idolized his drumming, but the thought that Ringo's drumming could be better or was insufficient in certain areas never crossed my mind at all.

Like I've stated before on a very similar thread, each member of that band went on to have a very successful solo career. There are not many bands one can say that about. I can't think of any. That alone is testament to the kind of musicians they were and continued to be even after the Beatles.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
My question is, what style would the Beatles fall under?
Your answer below :)

Quote:
Pop rock
Quote:
Don't tempt her! You know she will!

Then we'll have to listen to all of them!
I'll be listening... Polly's quite good at finding good links :)
Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

The had successful solo careers because they were in the Beatles. If there had been no Beatles, I doubt that John Lennon or Ringo Starr would have been picked up by a record label. Harrison and McCartney, yes, sure, but Lennon's solo work was pretty patchy, IMO, and good old Ringo...what would recommend him? "Octopus's Garden?"
Old 06-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
The had successful solo careers because they were in the Beatles. If there had been no Beatles, I doubt that John Lennon or Ringo Starr would have been picked up by a record label.
Even with a song like Imagine ?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Your answer below :)

I'll be listening... Polly's quite good at finding good links :)
Quite good?! That's an understatement!

I'm actually starting to doubt Polly is real. I think she's an AI who became self aware on the net and just pulls information from her endless library of information.
Her liking of natural playing and sounds is a smokescreen, she's a machine and she's going to get us all eventually.
If I don't post on here tommorow it's because I've said too much and I've been terminated!

Anyway, back to Ringo. as for Lennon and Ringo not making it without The Beatles, that could be said about all of them. Doesn't matter how good you are you need a bit of luck and The Beatles were in (several) right places at the right time then they had the chance for their great work to be put out and appreciated by others.

I wonder how many other bands as good as The Beatles did not get their break. If we went back in time and did it again they might not have got a break at all.

Being great isn't all you need to make it.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Being great isn't all you need to make it.
Just ask The Spice Girls.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Just ask The Spice Girls.
Amen brotha!

I meant as in you need luck too but, you're right. Once the vultures perfected their conveyor belt music all you really need to be able to do is look good and be confident.
The rest is done for you.

Makes me sick. 'cos I'm ugly! Hahaha
Old 06-04-2012, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Makes me sick. 'cos I'm ugly! Hahaha
Hey, if Sporty Spice can get a deal there's hope for all of us!! :-)
Old 06-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey, if Sporty Spice can get a deal there's hope for all of us!! :-)
True, this is very true.

I feel a bit better now, thanks!
Old 06-04-2012, 02:56 AM
Renegade

Quote:
I'm actually starting to doubt Polly is real. I think she's an AI who became self aware on the net and just pulls information from her endless library of information.
*does-not-compute* ... reboot ...

You have to admit those mega lists sure shut down talk about metal subgenres :) ... every genre splits into tiny pieces as bands explore different combinations in an attempt to find something fresh and original.

The talk of drum machines reminds us that, whether we like or dislike Ringo's or whomever's playing, they still beat drum machines.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
*does-not-compute* ... reboot ...

You have to admit those mega lists sure shut down talk about metal subgenres :) ... every genre splits into tiny pieces as bands explore different combinations in an attempt to find something fresh and original.

The talk of drum machines reminds us that, whether we like or dislike Ringo's or whomever's playing, they still beat drum machines.
Yep, you swooped in like a bird of prey and destroyed everybody's arguments.
I think everyones a bit scared to say anything now!

So then, I've been wanting to know this for some time, who are our creators and where are they now?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You have to admit those mega lists sure shut down talk about metal subgenres :)
Not really. I never hear rock or blues players touting their sub-genres to the same degree that metal players do. How many "pagan rock" "cowpunk" or "etheral wave" players have you heard of? They are simply not labels that get applied in the broader sense by the players themselves. Can't say the same for metal.....where sub-genres are almost a badge of honour. The sub-genres are actively embraced and encouraged to the point that it becomes a race to define the next one. All so as to appear totally removed from the one before it. Which is fine by me, not gonna lose any sleep over it. But by the same measure given the speed and intensity that it occurs, added to the arguments between fans who vehemently define and defend what consitutes a particular sub-genre, it's little wonder people pile in to pull the piss out of it. :-)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Not really. I never hear rock or blues players touting their sub-genres to the same degree that metal players do. How many "pagan rock" "cowpunk" or "etheral wave" players have you heard of? They are simply not labels that get applied in the broader sense by the players themselves. Can't say the same for metal.....where sub-genres are almost a badge of honour. The sub-genres are actively embraced and encouraged to the point that it becomes a race to define the next one. All so as to appear totally removed from the one before it. Which is fine by me, not gonna lose any sleep over it. But by the same measure given the speed and intensity that it occurs, added to the arguments between fans who vehemently define and defend what consitutes a particular sub-genre, it's little wonder people pile in to pull the piss out of it. :-)
Your not wrong but, alot of young people are into metal and they are usually the ones who give sub-genres their names. the bands themselves are usually a bit older and just think they're playing their brand of metal but, after a while the names stixk and it does become a little easier to properly or more precisely identify your sound/style to other people.

Me, and my band-mates often join in making fun of the new daft names for sub-genres but, I'm sure we we're like that ourselves when we were at school. it's a young peoples game and we end up HAVING to use their terms after a while.

You may not hear this so much in blues or whatever but, they're not exactly huge styles with the kids are they?
So it's not hard to work out the why of it if you sit and think about it.

Look at dub-step and the like, another style huge with the kids and also has frequent new sub-genres and the adults who like it just end up using the terms that have been created by the kids otherwise people don't really know what you play if you just say 'metal' 'breakbeat' etc. It's too vague, as much as I'd love to say I play 'metal' it does us no favours when networking. You have to be down with the kids.

Also dub-step and metal genres are styles that change and evolve more and faster than most styles. Yes some sub-genres have me scratching my head thinking isn't screamo just emo'? etc but, others are more than just a step forward so it IS fairly relevant even if it does seem a bit silly to us grown ups.

I also agree with you 'badge of honour' statement. Some people do, mainly young ones and it can become a bit competative and silly but, this is not just a metal thing.
Maybe jazz guys don't talk about sub-genres so much but, so, so many people say they play jazz and expect everyone to be impressed, like they are saying 'hey I'm at this level of ability, yes I'm great, be impressed', when really it's a load of rubbish aswell and equally as laughable especially seens as it's done more so by older people whereas atleast it's mainly just the kids in metal.

I've just lit the fireworks here haven't I?
Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You have to admit those mega lists sure shut down talk about metal subgenres :)
Actually, I don't have to admit that :)

I don't hear rock and jazz enthusiasts splitting hairs about such definitions, nor being so parochial about their particular sub-genre.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I've just lit the fireworks here haven't I?
All good fun.

But I think we're all overlooking the real question here. If Ringo had have been born in the 80's or 90's......what sub-genre of metal would he have played?
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
All good fun.

But I think we're all overlooking the real question here. If Ringo had have been born in the 80's or 90's......what sub-genre of metal would he have played?
Hahaha

Insecto-core?

Beatle-sludge?

Playing:

'we all kill with our yellow sub-machine(gun)'s