DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:28 PM

Default Ringo Starr... Good or bad?

I am a huge Beatles fan, and Ringo is usually the one who people say has "limited" talent. I disagree with this. Sure, he isn't John Bonham or Keith Moon level, but he is still a great drummer and very underrated.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Ringo Starr... Good or bad?

Anyone who could navigate all the stylistic waters that Lennon and McCartney floated through during the Beatles career, has my respect as a drummer.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:37 PM

@bruin

I agree, and if anyone thinks Ringo isn't that good should listen to "Rain" or "The Word".

Last edited by stramming; 05-30-2012 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Time for another round of Ringo sucks/rocks? Cool!

To précis the debate as I see it: Ringo did a job and did it well. If anyone thinks he never did anything good, well he's Ringo Starr and who the bloody hell are you?

On the other hand, there were a few jobbing drummers who could have easily stepped into his shoes in 1962 or whenever it was and to suggest that The Beatles wouldn't have made it as big as they did if they had taken any of them over Ringo is overstating his importance just a tad.

The influence of The Beatles is undeniable, but if it had been Herman's Hermits that had made it huge and The Beatles had been just another band down at The Cavern then we'd all be having this argument about Steve Titterington now and again.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:38 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Ringo sucks!!!!!.......

sorry .....that was Sticks/Balto channeling through me trying to get back on the forums
Old 05-28-2012, 06:40 PM
plangentmusic

Ringo also symbolizes how the right "personality" makes for a good fit. Lennon/McCartney were the genius, George was a brooder -- all 3 were very good looking. Tommy Sheridan was also brooding and good looking. That's one too many. There was only room for the goofy. happy go lucky guy...enter, Ringo.

As for his playing, he not only fit the mold, listened to what Mac told him to do, and had great time, but had some unique quirks that people have been copying ever since.

The backwards fills in "Day in the Life."

The hi-hat-less beat in "Something."

The busy but perfectly placed fills in "You Won'tt See Me."

The groove in "Let it Be."

The Intro to Come Together.

The Ray Charles mambo in "I Feel Fine."

The syncopated beat in "In My Life." (Stolen for the song "Get Together by the Youngbloods).

And most impressive, those amazing "two hands together" fills. Check out the build on the snare and floor at 1:41. here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vXWYHUTDR4
Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

For me, Ringo is not only an awesome drummer but the consummate entertainer and that makes him special. He also clearly still loves what he does after all of these years and it comes thru in his shows. I'll be seeing ny third consecutive All-Starr show this summer and can't wait. Maybe hes not the most technical but his timing is impeccable. I would give my left foot for half his talent.

So , yeah, I think he's pretty good.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stramming View Post
I am a huge Beatles fan, and Ringo is usually the one who people say has "limited" talent. I disagree with this. Sure, he isn't John Bonham or Keith Moon level, but he is still a great drummer and very underrated.

What do you guys think?
I think you need to spend more time reading the forum and less time asking questions that have been asked 1000 times. Use the search feature.

You could start here with the 8 plus pages which I found under Drummers on the main page. why do new people click the box saying they have read the forum rules and clearly have no clue. Sorry but it just gets old.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=ringo

45,000 members but only 10,000 looks at the forum rules page. Problem? I think so.

the fact that you bring him up means he is IMPORTANT. Thats all that counts.

Last edited by GruntersDad; 05-29-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:43 PM

Its foolish to think that a drummer lacks ability because he or she is not take solos or

shows off during a song/band. Ringos drumming was creative and complimented all the

music he played. He did his job and he did an outstanding job. He played on music that is

timeless, it will be around for ever. He was a singing drummer, do you know how hard that

is, he was a lefty that played righty, he wrote great songs. Being a good drummer means

playing good music. He influence more people to be drummers and all around musicians

than any other drummer, even the drummers so called Master drummers. Compare

Ringos lifestyle to any one of your master drummers, Ringo comes out ahead, and thats

just the way it happened to work out. Ringo is part of music history, how many drummers

can say that. We can all learn from Ringo.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I think you need to spend more time reading the forum and less time asking questions that have been asked 1000 times. Use the search feature.

You could start here with the 8 plus pages which I found under Drummers on the main page. why do new people click the box saying they have read the forum rules and clearly have no clue. Sorry but it just gets old.

45,000 members but only 10,000 looks at the forum rules page. Problem? I think so.

the fact that you bring him up means he is IMPORTANT. Thats all that counts.
I don't get this. It's a talk forum, not a reference library. Not everyone has been here for years. Let someone get a conversation going and those who want to join in may do so and those who don't, don't have to. Forums are self regulated -- the thread stays up only if people engage, otherwise, it falls.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
plangentmusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie k View Post
Its foolish to think that a drummer lacks ability because he or she is not take solos or

shows off during a song/band. Ringos drumming was creative and complimented all the

music he played. He did his job and he did an outstanding job. He played on music that is

timeless, it will be around for ever. He was a singing drummer, do you know how hard that

is, he was a lefty that played righty, he wrote great songs. Being a good drummer means

playing good music. He influence more people to be drummers and all around musicians

than any other drummer, even the drummers so called Master drummers. Compare

Ringos lifestyle to any one of your master drummers, Ringo comes out ahead, and thats

just the way it happened to work out. Ringo is part of music history, how many drummers

can say that. We can all learn from Ringo.
I strongly agree with all you said -- excpet the notion that singing and playing drums is hard. I know most audiences think it's difficult because they assume the drumming is doing 4 independent things, plus singing, but that isn't really the case. For the most part. it's doing a single repetitive thing.

I've performed singing and playing guitar, playing piano, playing bass and playing drums and I have to say, by far, drums is easiest. (Bass is hardest).

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Just sayin'--- if a drummer can sing at all, do so. It'll make you more employable.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Use the search feature.
I typed "search" into the search dialogue box; I thought it might be one of those things where the computer exploded because of some weird logical paradox.

In fact the first thing it came up with was the Nicko McBrain thread. Huh.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

I've never put on a Beatles song and then said, turn it off Ringo sucks on this.

If John, Paul, and George thought that Ringo was right for the gig, it's pretty hard to argue that fact.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Gold Member

"Good"

And a lot better than me!

Peace and Love

GJS
Old 05-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Interviewer: "Do you think Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world?"
John Lennon: "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles!"

but seriously, he's certainly creative, musical, underrated, and has left quite an impact on the drumming world. All that stuff it says about him on wikipedia.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resohead View Post
I've never put on a Beatles song and then said, turn it off Ringo sucks on this.

If John, Paul, and George thought that Ringo was right for the gig, it's pretty hard to argue that fact.
+1. Nicely said Reso
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Ringo is my absolute favorite drummer.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plangentmusic View Post
I've performed singing and playing guitar, playing piano, playing bass and playing drums and I have to say, by far, drums is easiest. (Bass is hardest).
Sorry to continue the minor derail, but I have to ask. Did you play the other instruments/vocal before playing drums? If so, I'm thinking that a good portion of the general musician skills/ interpretation was already in your makeup, leaving the mechanics as the only challenge. That progression could easily lead you to the conclusion above, & quite understandably. As I've listened to your excellent clips, I'm regarding your observation as carrying a high degree of credibility.

Ringo - he was right for the band, & at the right moment in time. You have to compare his skills to the mean of skills in Liverpool pop at the time. As such, he was right up there, & got the job done. Even today, if you compared his skills to the average in modern pop, he wouldn't be too far off the mark. Drummers tend to concentrate their attention on the most skilled masters of our craft. I get that, but there's no getting away from the fact that the average standard of drumming in successful bands is way behind that of the very best out there.

Or is that really the case? Do we, as drummers, place too much emphasis on the drummers contribution rather than the totality of the performance. If being a great drummer is all about being part of the team that creates a great song, then maybe it's our collective benchmark that's parochial &, in the grand scheme of things, irrelevant.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Gold Member

He was perfect for The Beatles, that's all that matters.

His playing on the early albums isn't actually that bad. Quite fast and dynamic and it was obviously fitting for the early stuff.

His overly simplistic, almost rusty playing for the later day recordings also fitted perfectly. He was the perfect drummer for them. Fitted like a glove.

Nothing else matters when you're doing your job and playing for the song, which for a band like The Beatles is pretty key.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Tempered Clavier View Post
I typed "search" into the search dialogue box
Maybe typing in Ringo might have found you this http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=ringo Eight pages on Ringo ..... last entry, 5/26/12.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Pioneer Member

He was good enough, which is all that matters.

Technically could he touch any of the 'freaks', like buddy rich, dave weckl, jojo mayer, thomas lang, steve smith, etc? Probably not, but its about the music. People don't listen to the beatles because of the ripping guitar solos, extreme hi's and low's of the vocal world, or the ridiculously awesome drum beats, but because of the lyrics and the feeling/soul that the band provides.

Once again, he was good enough for the music he played, in my eyes.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:44 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Do we, as drummers, place too much emphasis on the drummers contribution rather than the totality of the performance. If being a great drummer is all about being part of the team that creates a great song, then maybe it's our collective benchmark that's parochial &, in the grand scheme of things, irrelevant.
100% agree with you Andy, and I'm guilty as charged to listen, judge and make an appreciation of a drummer's performance, it's kind of a trade default isn't it, same job, same instruments, we are probably doing it without realising it, we're bound to listen to the drummer, when one member post something, it's exactly what we're doing first, assessing the drum parts, the feel of the drummer, then, we consider the song, the style of music and appreciate (or not) the global picture, at least on such a forum, where drummers, drumming and drums is the main point of interest. But as far as a good song or a good band is concerned, I agree, our opinion to the skill of any given drummer, is almost irrevelant.

The Beatles are just the perfect exemple, good band, good songs, and they achieved an iconic level of popularity which will never be equalled and they influenced zillions of musicians worldwide, so is Ringo a good drummer? You bet he is, not the shadow of a doubt.

Talking of popularity, how influential were the Fab Four??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiRUO...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZyBb...feature=relmfu

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 05-28-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spelling and syntax... still doesn't sound right, nevermind
Old 05-28-2012, 10:46 PM
Platinum Member

Not good or bad, I would say he was a great drummer IMO. Great taste, great ideas. Some great fills. He was a perfect fit for probably the best rock group ever. I may be a bit biased because of my age but the foundation he helped create has touched us all.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plangentmusic View Post
I strongly agree with all you said -- excpet the notion that singing and playing drums is hard. I know most audiences think it's difficult because they assume the drumming is doing 4 independent things, plus singing, but that isn't really the case. For the most part. it's doing a single repetitive thing.

Didn't mean to derail the thread. Just sayin'--- if a drummer can sing at all, do so. It'll make you more employable.
I agree with you on this point.

And...Ringo is awesome!
I don't care what DMC says about him...
Old 05-29-2012, 12:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Wow, This is a great topic for a thread. Let me see if I have some opinions on this, since you are asking ...

I think Ringo is overrated and overplayed, like the rest of the Beatles. He has mediocre skills and does not often play with drive or zest and is scarcely audible in most Beatles songs. It is unusual when someone does not mention Ringo as an influence. He influences me only in that I try to avoid such bland playing.

Having said that, Ringo is also the most influential drummer in the brief history of western popular music and played in the most influential band in history. He inspired millions to take up the drums and has remained a relevant and important by not destroying himself, being a decent person and staying busy creating.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 AM

If you can play with Paul McCartney, John Lennon and George Harrison for more than a decade and not get fired, you are a great drummer.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

begs an interesting question...

What do you mean by 'good' and 'bad'?

Everyone seems to have a different interpretation.

I think its a great exercise to find specificity in comments...it helps me bust my prejudice and perceptual boundaries...

btw, no one throws their hair with a fraction of the style Ringo does....not even in the eighties!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Maybe typing in Ringo might have found you this http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=ringo Eight pages on Ringo ..... last entry, 5/26/12.
That's weird, because when I did type "Ringo" all it came up with was this:
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2012, 01:01 AM
Gold Member

Anyone who plays on that many hit records and albums under the influence of so many different substances deserves a medal!

I think Ringo is great in the Beatles, just so long as he doesn't sing lead! And the best thing in his solo show is Greg Bissonette.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Renegade

Quote:
Do we, as drummers, place too much emphasis on the drummers contribution rather than the totality of the performance.
Well said, Andy. Of course we do. We're drummers and, as a group, we will have a less objective view of a drummer's contribution than anyone else. Also, how do you know if a drummer inspires others to play better? Only by the music.

It's clear from comments from his peers that other musicians like playing with Ringo. His playing feels good, and he's always supportive, leaves space, comes up with some great ideas, and just generally "gets it".

Quote:
If being a great drummer is all about being part of the team that creates a great song, then maybe it's our collective benchmark that's parochial &, in the grand scheme of things, irrelevant.
The trick is to find really good players who'll put up with us :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I think Ringo is overrated and overplayed
Gotta love a guy who never quits lol ... so you would like to do this dance again? :)

Quote:
like the rest of the Beatles. He has mediocre skills and does not often play with drive or zest
The "mediocre" comment is patent rubbish. Paul is a huge talent. John had a magnetic personality and great imagination and daring. George had some truly inspired moments (eg. Something) and Ringo laid down some iconic drum tracks.

As for "does not often play with drive or zest" ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWdqh2PPvTI ... okay, you said "does not often" and that's a live clip before they went studio.

This time I think there is some truth to your claim, at least to my ear. Ringo's roots are in RnR and most of The Beatles' later music is far from that. I know the feeling, being an ex rock drummer in a lounge band. There's a constant sense of holding back. I think Ringo was learning on the fly, just as I am. If he's "mediocre" then I'm completely screwed because he did a much better job of his adaptation.

One thing I've learned, though, is that more zest and drive is not necessarily better, certainly not in the case of ballads. It really depends on what the song is trying to express. An extreme example would be John's I'm So Tired., which would sound ludicrous with zippy drumming. Horses for courses.

Can you post a link of an example? Every now and then I've listened to a Beatles song and felt the drums could be a tad more peppy but I can't remember which one/s.

Going back to "mediocre skills" ... what we have here is a songwriting and music production unit. Chops are a non issue in this musical situation - there is zero need for overt technical impressiveness. Gratuitous displays of chops in a songwriting environment just get in the way ... in the studio it would be seen as childish. There are no points given for degree of difficulty, only of helping realise the song's potential. Even Steve Gadd plays simply with James Taylor.

So a RnR drummer like Ringo had to change his game to fit Paul's and John's experiments. To the surprise of many Ringo managed to adapt with great inventiveness and style. His toms and crash cymbals sound great. Most of all, his playing was full of goofy charm, just like the man. IMO, as a songwriting drummer he consistently chose enjoyable musical options.

Think of the inspiration for other simple RnR drummers! This was a guy who showed how you could take a homespun self taught technique and still sound great in the context of brilliant songs! That's huge. Certainly for me. Ringo's naturally going to influence more young drummers than, say, Billy Cobham, whose abilities are too stratospheric for most players to consider apeing.

I don't think we can easily compare popular artists with those who play musicians' music. I love musos' music - after all, I'm a muso. But what I love about, say, M.O. and Trane is not what I love about The Beatles and Ringo.

Each has their own appeal. I have to admit that I am more inclined to judge fusion artists for their weak compositions (with some notable exceptions like Weather Report) than to judge The Beatles for playing without the same flair of jazzers, proggers, metallers and fusioneers. Give me a good song over "wow" drumming any day.

Quote:
... and is scarcely audible in most Beatles songs.
Examples? (apart from Got to Get You Into My Life)

Quote:
It is unusual when someone does not mention Ringo as an influence. He influences me only in that I try to avoid such bland playing.
Martin, having seen some of your music with fabulous drums and drumming, all I can say is that a Ringo influence isn't much use when you're playing gypsy jazz and hard bop. How could he possibly be an influence for you? I don't bring any Jeff Ballard influence into my lounge band either. Funny dat.

Sorry for the long post but the regulars here will know about DMC's crusade to bring realism to judgements of Ringo and I thought it might help to get down to the particulars rather than the usual "He's bad- No, he's good - No, he's bad - No, he's good" blah. I agree that he's not the drumming messiah, but he's far from just being a naughty boy ...

Last edited by Anon La Ply; 05-29-2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
I appreciate your perspectives, even though they happen to align with what virtually everyone else says, though. When someone asked for opinions on Ringo, I held forth on my beliefs about him being the most influential drummer who ever lived. Did you get that part?

Eventually, these threads become less a discussion of Ringo and more a discussion about the offensiveness of my unpopular and rarely-heard views about Ringo and The Beatles. But as long as I am getting people to at least have those diverse views enter their heads, then I have succeeded. In time, others may come to view The Beatles as embarrassingly over-played, nostalgic ethnic white music, in tandem with a common view of them as Gods among mortals. And I'm saying it like it's a good thing.

I suppose disliking Ringo will marginalize me, casting me as the Ringo Starr of the board. But leave the confines of this board and you may find my views are more widely held than you think.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by resohead View Post

Even if he is singing, lol?

Ringo rocks, as a drummer.

And, whoever did the engineering always made his drums sound great.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 AM
Renegade

Quote:
I appreciate your perspectives
If so then you should address my points rather than hoisting your noble self with your noble cause upon Ringo's cross in an act of glib martyrdom lol
Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 AM
Silver Member

She said she said. 'nuff said.

-John
Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Those people are idiots. It's not that he was the 'less talented'. One should ask the question, did he play what was right for the song? If so, then he's done it right. And he did alot of that right.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Also, keep in mind that rock drumming was in it's infancy in the early 60's.

He was as good as there was.

Things evolved quickly during the mid/late 60's and people started playing like Ginger Baker. Modern drummers of today have gotten completely out of control talanted in many different genres.

I'm old. I witnessed it first hand :)

Hell, I remember having the Ringo debate in high school in 1968 . My position was, and is, how would it sound if Ginger Baker or Jon Bonham played for the Beatles?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

Ringo was "right for the Beatles" just like Art Blakey was "right for the Jazz Messengers" and
on and on. Sure, the techniques required were different but that isn't the point here...it's
about being the "right fit".

Last edited by groove1; 05-29-2012 at 04:24 AM. Reason: word
Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
She said she said. 'nuff said.

-John

Damn fine point. If he wrote those parts, he was certainly doing something different than anyone else.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:05 AM
Silver Member

I'm probably going to annoy people here, for a change...

But...

Ringo confuses me, I change my mind about him often.
I think:

Technically he is not a good drummer

Musically he is a great drummer

It's the musicsl part that has me changing my mind about him. Sometimes I think 'yep, he nailed it, he really found the best beat for that part'
other times I think 'it's so basic that wouldn't a thousand other drummers have done this if they were in his shoes'?
And he was lucky to be given such great songs to put backbeats to.
plenty other drummers do what he does but becauxe their band doesn't recieve 'beatlemania' attention no-one cares about the drummer and no-one spends years dissecting deum patterns they learnt in their first weeks of playing drums and try to find some hidden genius to them.

He also has some quite original ideas though like on come together. Great part, it's not a beat but a drum riff, just as much a part of the song as the bassline.

Either way whether others would have played what he did or not he played what he played and it always seemed perfect for the song so he did his job more succesfully than many a more technical player.

Team player
Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 AM
SoCalSteve
This message has been deleted by SoCalSteve.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 AM

Could someone have played Ringos parts? Yes

Could someone have created the music that he crated through his drumming? No!

Everyone is unique. Its far past skill that makes a musician good, its emotion and conneciton to the music. Simple as that.

Each great musician out there that has had huge impact on the world did it by staying transparent to their emotions through their music and people have idendified with that. Look at LMFAO...Billboard song of the year? Its made an impact....they have created something that alot of people identify with. Or look at..welll.......1989-1994...need I say more?