DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:40 PM

Default Re: Attention Tune-Bot Owners!

Here is a video review I did of the Tune-bot that may help answer some of the questions posted here.
Check it out..
Danny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKBi98s29vE
Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Danny,

Most excellent video! I believe you really hit a few key points:

1. Trust your ears for the overall sound of the drum you prefer first and not just tension
2. It really works best at the fine tuning and as a tool to get you back to where you like

I just picked mine up this weekend and spent about an hour with it at first. I tried their recommended head tension for my 10" tom and felt for my drums & heads it was a bit low. I went back to the tuning my ears (and that particular drum) preferred and used the Tune Bot to fine tune.

What I found with my snare was very much the same as your video. My ears had tuned the snare within just about 1 hertz difference. For the experienced tuner this tool helps with consistency and yes being able to save settings is the absolute selling point.

The difference mode is the key selling point. I think it's this mode that really makes you understand the relation between the head and the bearing edge as it is pulled every so slightly in any given direction.

A trick I picked on also was when I was adjusting the tension of the drum it sometimes helped to apply slight pressure to the head. Somewhat acting as a measure to every so slightly re seat the head following adjustments I made. Once last check with the difference mode would verify the adjustments I made.
Session Work
Old 11-02-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, I capitulated & bought one. Just spent about an hour with it, & already noticed some annoying things;

1/ readings (yes, I've read the instructions & used the filter button) are not very consistent. I can hit next to one lug & the Tunebot will give me various readings + or - 2Hz.

2/ How close the Tunebot is to a lug seems to affect reading reliability.

3/ & this really bugs me, it can give me a higher reading for one lug that I can hear is in fact lower than the lug it's comparing to. In other words, it's sometimes, but quite frequently getting it the wrong way round.

4/ Even when it says I have all lugs absolutely the same, they're not.

Now, I have noticed quite a difference in repeatability performance when placed on a drum with heavy metal hoops compared to our segmented hoops. Segmented hoops are sonically very active, so I'm going to mount the Tunebot on a mic stand & see if that isolation improves it's performance.

Only an hour in, & desperate to be proved wrong after dropping some coin, but thus far + not impressed. I know my time with the device has been short, so I'm hoping familiarisation will improve matters considerably. Bottom line is though, if it's not giving accurate readings, it's no bloody use to me :(
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

I get much more consistent results than that, though I will note that my results got much better over time. Keep in mind that small variations in where you strike the head and how hard you strike the head do have a measurable difference in the pitch. There's a certain amount of finesse in getting a strong enough tap so that the Tunebot picks it up, but not so strong that you're getting a slightly different tone out of the drum. Skip the mic stand, just hold the Tunebot in one hand and a stick in the other, and move your key from lug to lug as you need.

It does take a little familiarization and practice, though.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
I get much more consistent results than that, though I will note that my results got much better over time. Keep in mind that small variations in where you strike the head and how hard you strike the head do have a measurable difference in the pitch. There's a certain amount of finesse in getting a strong enough tap so that the Tunebot picks it up, but not so strong that you're getting a slightly different tone out of the drum. Skip the mic stand, just hold the Tunebot in one hand and a stick in the other, and move your key from lug to lug as you need.

It does take a little familiarization and practice, though.
Yes, I got the strike dynamic variation, & expected it. So you find holding it in your hand provides more reliable results? I can see the reasoning behind that, as I'm already finding out that hoop type, especially highly resonant hoops, affects results. I still can't work out why it indicates one lug to be lower than another when my ears are telling me the reverse is true. Even factoring in overtone interference & various harmonic affects, it still doesn't make sense.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
So you find holding it in your hand provides more reliable results?
I hadn't really studied the behavior too closely, but I think I probably do get better results moving the Tunebot from lug to lug, rather than holding it in one spot. It's probably the difference between "works" and "works better." I can't say with absolute certainty since I haven't sat down and tried to directly compare the results of handheld vs hoop-mounted. I think it does matter more on larger drums. Bass drums, absolutely, I hold it in hand. Rack toms, dunno, depends on my mood. I'm sure for lots of guys, getting the lugs within +- 2 Hz is a huge improvement in their tuning. I'm usually much more fastidious about tuning than that.

Also, it's sometimes helpful to park the drum on a pillow so the opposite head is muffled. That cuts down on a number of extra tones floating about and makes it easier to focus on the head you're tuning. I'm sure you know that; it's a common enough trick, but worth remembering if you don't normally do so when you tune by ear.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
I hadn't really studied the behavior too closely, but I think I probably do get better results moving the Tunebot from lug to lug, rather than holding it in one spot. It's probably the difference between "works" and "works better." I can't say with absolute certainty since I haven't sat down and tried to directly compare the results of handheld vs hoop-mounted. I think it does matter more on larger drums. Bass drums, absolutely, I hold it in hand. Rack toms, dunno, depends on my mood. I'm sure for lots of guys, getting the lugs within +- 2 Hz is a huge improvement in their tuning. I'm usually much more fastidious about tuning than that.

Also, it's sometimes helpful to park the drum on a pillow so the opposite head is muffled. That cuts down on a number of extra tones floating about and makes it easier to focus on the head you're tuning. I'm sure you know that; it's a common enough trick, but worth remembering if you don't normally do so when you tune by ear.
Yes, got the reso head completely isolated. Here's what I'm talking about. Am I going mad? http://youtu.be/rlvTZDjjh30?hd=1
Old 11-03-2012, 12:00 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Yes, got the reso head completely isolated. Here's what I'm talking about. Am I going mad? http://youtu.be/rlvTZDjjh30?hd=1
This is just one of the problems and frustrations that I had with the Tune Bot. When hitting one tension rod area of the head it gives you a certain reading and then when hitting another area you get exactly what you're getting, the same reading but definitely not the same pitch, a deaf person can hear that, lol. Also, unit to unit accuracy... well there really is none. I firmly believe that people that can't tune by ear or differentiate between two closely spaced pitches, can neither hear the pitch differences that you are illustrating here. If the Tune Bot says that it's OK, they go with it no matter how it sounds.

Here a picture I shot a few months ago showing the inaccuracies of two Tune Bots. The results were rarely repeatable with unit one sometimes having higher readings than unit two. Maybe one out of every twenty triggers I would get the same results on both Tune Bots. In my experiences, it takes so much less time tuning an entire kit without the "help" of the Tune Bot.

After I made the above tests, I temporarily bought another Tune Bot that exhibited even looser tolerances than what the above photo shows. For the many people that have these and are having success with them, all well and good.

Dennis

Last edited by audiotech; 11-04-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I could be wrong, but it looks like you have the tune-bot set to "snare" while trying to measure a tom.

That will throw the unit off.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
This is just one of the problems and frustrations that I had with the Tune Bot. When hitting one tension rod area of the head it gives you a certain reading and then when hitting another area you get exactly what you're getting, the same reading but definitely not the same pitch, a deaf person can hear that, lol.

Dennis
Yes Dennis, how can that be so? And so far out too. It had me seriously questioning my hearing for a moment. I'm not so bothered about unit to unit consistency, as it doesn't dramatically affect performance, but not being able to recognise when something is so far out pretty much puts this on the train home for me. I'll keep working with it. Maybe it'll come good in some other area, like bass drum tuning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
I could be wrong, but it looks like you have the tune-bot set to "snare" while trying to measure a tom.

That will throw the unit off.
I'll have a look at that, but according to the instructions, the "snare, tom, bass" selection only applies to memory storage, so it's not a setting per se.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
This is just one of the problems and frustrations that I had with the Tune Bot. When hitting one tension rod area of the head it gives you a certain reading and then when hitting another area you get exactly what you're getting, the same reading but definitely not the same pitch, a deaf person can hear that, lol. Also, unit to unit accuracy... well there really is none. I firmly believe that people that can't tune by ear or differentiate between two closely spaced pitches, can neither hear the pitch differences that you are illustrating here. If the Tune Bot says that it's OK, they go with it no matter how it sounds.

Here a picture I shot a few months ago showing the inaccuracies of two Tune Bots. The results were rarely repeatable with unit one sometimes having higher readings than unit two. Maybe one out of every twenty triggers I would get the same results on both Tune Bots. In my experiences, it takes so much less time tuning an entire kit without the "help" of the Tune Bot.

After I made the above tests, I temporarily bought another Tune Bot that exhibited even looser tolerances than what the above photo shows. For the many people that have these and are having success with them, all well and good.

Dennis
A representative from Tune-Bot should comment on this.

thx

jorn
Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM

Andy and Dennis,

I thought I would jump in here, having done some videos about the tune-bot.

My experience is that it works best when you place the drum on a towel (or thrown or bed) to completely muffle the opposite head and be in a room with not too much resonance. I'm suspecting that other drums or resonating sounds can produce inaccurate readings.

It does take some time to get used to it and have it work for you. As someone said: you have to strike with the same force and at the same spot everytime or the readings will vary.

Sometimes I get readings which I know can't be right. Usually by clipping the tune-bot at another place on the rim solves it. It can also pick up overtones, the filter button usually solves this but not always.
Also I have more trouble finding a good spot to get good reading on snares than toms and kick drums.

I don't know of a snare, tom or kick setting. Like Andy said, it's for storing settings. I just press the on button and use it.

About inaccuracy: I own only one tune-bot so I have no idea if several tune-bots will give different readings.

I just tried this: I tried the tune-bot, iDrumTune app for iPhone and a Korg chromatic tuner at close as possible at the same time. Both the tune-bot and the Korg gave similar readings, occasionally 1 Hz more or an overtone. I had more different readings with the app, going up and down 2 to 3 Herz quite a few times.
So I could not reproduce very different readings on my tune-bot although mine displays rounded numbers on the normal setting, no decimals.

BTW: I'm not being sponsored by Tune-Bot, I had to buy my own one. Seeing the views my video got, I should still get one, hahaha...just kidding!
Old 11-03-2012, 05:01 PM
moretulife

I use the Drum tuner app on my iPhone, and you actually hold the phone in one hand aiming the mic towards each tap spot. So far it works great, and I always have it in my pocket. Very convenient.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moretulife View Post
I use the Drum tuner app on my iPhone, and you actually hold the phone in one hand aiming the mic towards each tap spot. So far it works great, and I always have it in my pocket. Very convenient.
The app is cool but there are 2 things I don't like:
- the iPhone doesn't clip to the rim so I can use one hand for striking and the other to make adjustments with a drum key
- after a while the screensaver starts working and then it locks. You have to keep tapping the screen to keep it 'awake'.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:18 PM
moretulife

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
- the iPhone doesn't clip to the rim so I can use one hand for striking and the other to make adjustments with a drum key
- after a while the screensaver starts working and then it locks. You have to keep tapping the screen to keep it 'awake'.
You can change the settings so that the Drum tuner stays put. Mine stays there until I close it. I also like the peace of mind of knowing that I am getting a good sound from my tap being so close to the mic. One hand holds the iPhone, the other hand holds the drum key, that I use to tap, and to turn the lug. Only need two hands. Don't need to use a drum stick. Just the one end of the handle of the key.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Andy and Dennis,

My experience is that it works best when you place the drum on a towel (or thrown or bed) to completely muffle the opposite head and be in a room with not too much resonance. I'm suspecting that other drums or resonating sounds can produce inaccurate readings.

It does take some time to get used to it and have it work for you. As someone said: you have to strike with the same force and at the same spot everytime or the readings will vary.

Sometimes I get readings which I know can't be right. Usually by clipping the tune-bot at another place on the rim solves it. It can also pick up overtones, the filter button usually solves this but not always.
Also I have more trouble finding a good spot to get good reading on snares than toms and kick drums.

I don't know of a snare, tom or kick setting. Like Andy said, it's for storing settings. I just press the on button and use it.

About inaccuracy: I own only one tune-bot so I have no idea if several tune-bots will give different readings.

I just tried this: I tried the tune-bot, iDrumTune app for iPhone and a Korg chromatic tuner at close as possible at the same time. Both the tune-bot and the Korg gave similar readings, occasionally 1 Hz more or an overtone. I had more different readings with the app, going up and down 2 to 3 Herz quite a few times.
So I could not reproduce very different readings on my tune-bot although mine displays rounded numbers on the normal setting, no decimals.

BTW: I'm not being sponsored by Tune-Bot, I had to buy my own one. Seeing the views my video got, I should still get one, hahaha...just kidding!
Thanks for your fine input Eric. I did have the drum in my video sample on a thick carpet (such that the carpet fibres are touching the bottom head), so muted as much as any other method. Other drums in the room were in cases, & the room is very dead. Before recording that snippet, I'd tried multiple rim positions, holding the unit in one hand whilst striking the head with the other, being fastidious in ensuring my strikes were consistent both in terms of position & dynamic. I must admit, I haven't tried the device on bass drums or snares yet. I will over the next week, as I'm spending a ton of time tuning multiple kits for a drum video session. I'll come back here with the results, but I don't have unlimited time to spend on trying a device that's meant to make life easier for me right out of the box :(
Old 11-03-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
You can change the settings so that the Drum tuner stays put. Mine stays there until I close it. I also like the peace of mind of knowing that I am getting a good sound from my tap being so close to the mic. One hand holds the iPhone, the other hand holds the drum key, that I use to tap, and to turn the lug. Only need two hands. Don't need to use a drum stick. Just the one end of the handle of the key.
Is your app called 'Drum tuner'? I can't find any setting to make it stay awake on my app.
Yes, you can tap with a drum key but I prefer using a stick. Seems to work better for me.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM
moretulife

Quote:
Is your app called 'Drum tuner'? I can't find any setting to make it stay awake on my app.
Yes, you can tap with a drum key but I prefer using a stick. Seems to work better for me.
Its your phone that is starting the screensaver not drum tuner. You need to change the phones settings. I find that the lighter you tap it, the better it works. That is why I use the key.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your fine input Eric. I did have the drum in my video sample on a thick carpet (such that the carpet fibres are touching the bottom head), so muted as much as any other method. Other drums in the room were in cases, & the room is very dead. Before recording that snippet, I'd tried multiple rim positions, holding the unit in one hand whilst striking the head with the other, being fastidious in ensuring my strikes were consistent both in terms of position & dynamic. I must admit, I haven't tried the device on bass drums or snares yet. I will over the next week, as I'm spending a ton of time tuning multiple kits for a drum video session. I'll come back here with the results, but I don't have unlimited time to spend on trying a device that's meant to make life easier for me right out of the box :(
Well, let me / us know. I see what you mean by that last comment. I don't think the device is equally useful for everyone. If you already can tune good by ear then you probably can tune faster without it. Having read some of your posts (and seen some of your excellent drums), I think that could apply to you.

In the past I lost track which note to tune to while tapping around a drumhead. The first time I tested the tune-bot, I already had the lugs pretty close without it. It helped me to tune the batter and reso heads in tune and get good sounding intervals between the toms.

Providing you get good readings, it also helps you learn to listen to small pitch differences, hearing a tone and seeing which pitch it is at. Nowadays, I tune the heads first without it and then use the tune-bot to check if the overall (fundamental) note of the tom is where I want it.

Edit: IMO, the more you use it, the less you need it.

Last edited by eric_B; 11-03-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Its your phone that is starting the screensaver not drum tuner. You need to change the phones settings. I find that the lighter you tap it, the better it works. That is why I use the key.
Yes, I can change the iPhone screensaver settings but I like it how it is now. I thought apps could have a setting not to let the screensaver kick in, like navigation apps.

I'll give the lighter tap a try.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
On the phone in Settings, General, Auto-Lock, set it to never. Then put it back when you are finsihed tuning.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM
moretulife

Quote:
Yes, I can change the iPhone screensaver settings but I like it how it is now. I thought apps could have a setting not to let the screensaver kick in, like navigation apps.

I'll give the lighter tap a try.
We are missing something here. I use a navigation app, and stays on while it is navigating, just like my Drum Tuner app does. My iPhone is set for 1 minute in the auto lock setting. You say you have a screensaver. Is this a special app, or are you just talking about your phone going black in auto lock?
Old 11-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Gold Member

For me I tune by ear and then fine tune with the tune bot. I use it on a regular basis. Normally I just use it once before a set or gig. Once my drums are dialed in beyond what my ears can do I can then equally move all the lugs to a higher or lower tension setting to get exactly where I want. So for me half science and half feel.

What I found is that even with the filter the reso head affects the reading when I am tuning on my setup kit. I then tighten or loosen any given reso head lug with good results.

Like others have said it works best when you mute the reso head ( I use my stool) and equally not when other instruments are making a lot of noise. Anyways I find with the Sonor lugs tune safe I am only ever making very small adjustments.

As others have mentioned you also have to hit, tap or play the head at the same points and with the same force to keep the readings consistent.

I really don't follow the chart that comes with the tune bot at all. Again I think if you know how to tune its a great tool for tine tuning and to repeat settings your ear likes.
Session Work
Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, let me / us know. I see what you mean by that last comment. I don't think the device is equally useful for everyone. If you already can tune good by ear then you probably can tune faster without it. Having read some of your posts (and seen some of your excellent drums), I think that could apply to you.

In the past I lost track which note to tune to while tapping around a drumhead. The first time I tested the tune-bot, I already had the lugs pretty close without it. It helped me to tune the batter and reso heads in tune and get good sounding intervals between the toms.

Providing you get good readings, it also helps you learn to listen to small pitch differences, hearing a tone and seeing which pitch it is at. Nowadays, I tune the heads first without it and then use the tune-bot to check if the overall (fundamental) note of the tom is where I want it.

Edit: IMO, the more you use it, the less you need it.
All good stuff Eric. It's the apparent inability to fine tune/recognise slight pitch variations that bugs me. I'm not a great tuner, I'm competent, no more than that. I can see a use for this device for storing pitches that I like in relation to a particular kit. As I'm having to deal with multiple kits, & in changing room situations, that's an advantage for me. I was also hoping to use it as a means of advising customers of tuning options. Early days with this device, so I'm hoping my initial experience isn't representative of it's total value. I'll report back :)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:36 PM
moretulife

For me these devices just give you that peace of mind that the drum is where it is supposed to be. A way to duplicate your settings each time. You still have to know how to tune, to get the drum to the point that the tuners will work properly. It is like having a second opinion with you of how your drum tuning is.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:43 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric B View Post
Andy and Dennis,

It does take some time to get used to it and have it work for you. As someone said: you have to strike with the same force and at the same spot every time or the readings will vary.
I always have a soft cloth between the table top and the drum to muffle the opposite head when I'm tuning drums. Like Andy, I have a limited time when performing these tasks and I get much quicker and more accurate and consistent results tuning by ear. I actually just use the Tune Bot that I have as a ball park triggered frequency counter for drums to get an idea where to adjust the parametric EQ on the board. In this respect it doesn't have to come down to one or two hertz difference as it does when trying to get a head in tune with itself. Having tried and compared three of these units, unit to unit accuracy is a joke.

Dennis

Last edited by audiotech; 11-04-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
We are missing something here. I use a navigation app, and stays on while it is navigating, just like my Drum Tuner app does. My iPhone is set for 1 minute in the auto lock setting. You say you have a screensaver. Is this a special app, or are you just talking about your phone going black in auto lock?
No app, I just have the standard 1 minute setting set. The navigation app temporarily disables the screensaver, the iDrumTune app doesn't.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I always have a soft cloth between the table top and the drum to muffle the opposite head when I'm tuning drums. Like Andy, I have a limited time when performing these tasks and I get much quicker and more accurate results tuning by ear.
I agree tuning by ear is the fastest way to tune, using tools costs time.

Quote:
For me these devices just give you that peace of mind that the drum is where it is supposed to be. A way to duplicate your settings each time. You still have to know how to tune, to get the drum to the point that the tuners will work properly. It is like having a second opinion with you of how your drum tuning is.
+1

Quote:
Having tried and compared three of these units, unit to unit accuracy is a joke.
That could be, I have only tried one. I would like to try more to compare.
But, to me it is not very important. As long as I get constant readings with my device, although, say, 2 hz too high or low everytime, it still helps me tune to the tone I want.

I can understand this being an issue for you and other people. I would think Overtone Labs have tested more than 1 device before putting it on the market so they could comment on this.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:34 AM

About the tune-bot being inconsistent, check my latest video: http://youtu.be/Cd4lnB_Abik?hd=1

I won't say every head was tuned 100% alike but they were pretty close.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
About the tune-bot being inconsistent, check my latest video: http://youtu.be/Cd4lnB_Abik?hd=1

I won't say every head was tuned 100% alike but they were pretty close.
I think the coated ambassador sounds by far the best
Old 11-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I think the coated ambassador sounds by far the best
I'd agree with that, although I thought the tuning in all examples was a little low so as to bring the best out of the drum Certainly some "flappy" stuff going on with the reso's. Although a brief appearance, I thought the Gretsch tom presented a bit more tone.

Nice job though :) I know it takes quite some work to put such comparisons together, & you'll never please everyone.

How did you record this?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:46 PM

Hey Andy,

Thanks for your feedback. I get your point. It also depends what you expect from your drums. Maybe I prefer a bit lower tuning than the optimal resonance and tone of my drums. I'm still experimenting with tuning though, it's already a lot better than what it used to be.

I'm not sure if the reso head was too low, I had the batter around a 3D# note and the resonant around 3G. As far as I know, the heads were in tune with themselves each time I mounted the tom. But later I also heard some recordings which sounded like the tuning was a bit off. A downside of using new heads, best to let them stretch overnight with higher tension.

The recording was done with the Shure mic as in the video, 2 Shure overheads and also a condensor mic about 1,5 mtr in front of the drumkit to get more room sound. Later the video and audio clips were synced.

Yeah, it takes quite some time to make these videos. Being in between bands at the moment I have some time so I can do some soundtests which I had in mind. And then it's not much more trouble to put them on YT so they may be useful to others as well.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Andy,

Thanks for your feedback. I get your point. It also depends what you expect from your drums. Maybe I prefer a bit lower tuning than the optimal resonance and tone of my drums. I'm still experimenting with tuning though, it's already a lot better than what it used to be.

I'm not sure if the reso head was too low, I had the batter around a 3D# note and the resonant around 3G. As far as I know, the heads were in tune with themselves each time I mounted the tom. But later I also heard some recordings which sounded like the tuning was a bit off. A downside of using new heads, best to let them stretch overnight with higher tension.

The recording was done with the Shure mic as in the video, 2 Shure overheads and also a condensor mic about 1,5 mtr in front of the drumkit to get more room sound. Later the video and audio clips were synced.

Yeah, it takes quite some time to make these videos. Being in between bands at the moment I have some time so I can do some soundtests which I had in mind. And then it's not much more trouble to put them on YT so they may be useful to others as well.
I think you did a great job there Eric, & yes, new heads do tend to wander a bit until they've settled for a few days + a bit of playing in.

Just for your interest, I'm about to put up a tom tuning test play video clip in the Drums section. Nowhere near as involved as yours. Just a bit of interest as I prepare for recording, & testing head combinations.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:09 PM

hi guys,

i'm a bit late to the party but thought i should chip in.

i had very good results with my little gretch catalina bob kit. the tunebot was deadly accurate and very consistent.

however i did have some problems tuning my ludwig supraphonic snare with the tunebot. I was getting inconsistent readings that were varying with each hit. i know that i'm hitting the drum very consistently and feel that is not the problem.

i'm guessing that my metal snare might be sending out more overtones and this confuses the device. i tune my drums on top of a cushion to dampen the overtones. however I then dampened the drum further by putting a piece of moongel in the middle of the drum. i found that the tune bot was then much more consistent for my metal snare.

might be worth trying if people are still having consistency issues? hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp84 View Post
hi guys,

i'm a bit late to the party but thought i should chip in.

i had very good results with my little gretch catalina bob kit. the tunebot was deadly accurate and very consistent.

however i did have some problems tuning my ludwig supraphonic snare with the tunebot. I was getting inconsistent readings that were varying with each hit. i know that i'm hitting the drum very consistently and feel that is not the problem.

i'm guessing that my metal snare might be sending out more overtones and this confuses the device. i tune my drums on top of a cushion to dampen the overtones. however I then dampened the drum further by putting a piece of moongel in the middle of the drum. i found that the tune bot was then much more consistent for my metal snare.

might be worth trying if people are still having consistency issues? hope this helps.
You might want to try a smaller piece of moongel.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 PM

I spent almost 2 hours playing around with my son's new 10" Tom and a tune bot. It's an 8x10, and it came out of the box tuned to a B and sounded really good. Kudos to Dale's for tuning it before they shipped it.

Thinking I'd tune the 10 and 14 to a 5th, I decided to tune the 10 up to a C. I used the tune bot to bring each lug to 219 top and bottom, which gives me a fundamental of 131 or C. But at 219 the reso head has this really odd whistling overtone. It wah wahs like it is out of tune with something. The batter does this too, but much less. I thought C was a normal pitch for a 10" Tom, so any thoughts on this. Is this pitch maybe slightly out of tune with the shell?

To see if it went away, I did tune the Reso up to 230 but it rings even more at that frequency. I didn't keep going up, but will that odd overtone go away at higher pitches, or should I go back to B which had no ringing and sounded pretty nice, but based on the below, B is pretty low for a 10" Tom. If it matters, it's a starclassic performer tom with cast hoops. Oh, as an edit, I posted here mostly because the pitches given in the Tune Bot tuning guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...QP6LVOOxsm-Igw are all higher than a B for a 10" Tom. Machine works well though :).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Armstrong View Post
I spent a few hours today using the Notes for Drum Sizes Guide referenced earlier and these are the values I came up with.

10" (10x8)-- Batter Lugs/ Reso lugs-- Drum Hz-- Note
C3# /138.6Hz-- 220Hz/ 220Hz-- 135Hz-- C3#
D3 /146.8Hz-- 240Hz/ 240Hz-- 144Hz-- D3
D3# /155.6Hz-- 260Hz/ 260Hz-- 155Hz-- D3#
E3 /164.8Hz-- 270Hz/ 270Hz-- 162Hz-- E3
F3 /174.6Hz-- 285Hz/ 285Hz-- 170Hz-- F3

I used even numbers for the most part to make things easier/quicker as long as I arrived at the Note target. I'm sure the resulting Drum Hz could be further tuned to almost exactly the Notes Hz if wanted.

Now that I have these values figured it should be easy to quickly set up the kit in 3rd's, 4th's or whatever.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:14 PM

Every drum is its own beast, don't force a drum into a pitch it does not like. However you don't have to tune top and bottom the same try some pitch bends that usually helps.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

TWerner,

have you tried med resonance numbers for your 10" and 14" toms?

the 10" would be 209 for top lug and 242 for bottom lug (C 3rd octave)

the 14" would be 140 top lug and 161 bottom lug (F 2nd Octave)

maybe your 10" drum does not like those higher tuning numbers, or the heads are not seated correctly? You could also try reseating the heads?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:56 PM

I haven't tuned the bottom up that much, but it makes that weird sound with the top head muted. It's a bit better when both heads are resonating, but I have funny hearing, and can still pick out those strange overtones. I'll tune the bottom head up to 242 and see if that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
TWerner,

have you tried med resonance numbers for your 10" and 14" toms?

the 10" would be 209 for top lug and 242 for bottom lug (C 3rd octave)

the 14" would be 140 top lug and 161 bottom lug (F 2nd Octave)

maybe your 10" drum does not like those higher tuning numbers, or the heads are not seated correctly? You could also try reseating the heads?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWerner View Post
I spent almost 2 hours playing around with my son's new 10" Tom and a tune bot. It's an 8x10, and it came out of the box tuned to a B and sounded really good. Kudos to Dale's for tuning it before they shipped it.

Thinking I'd tune the 10 and 14 to a 5th, I decided to tune the 10 up to a C. I used the tune bot to bring each lug to 219 top and bottom, which gives me a fundamental of 131 or C. But at 219 the reso head has this really odd whistling overtone. It wah wahs like it is out of tune with something. The batter does this too, but much less. I thought C was a normal pitch for a 10" Tom, so any thoughts on this. Is this pitch maybe slightly out of tune with the shell?

To see if it went away, I did tune the Reso up to 230 but it rings even more at that frequency. I didn't keep going up, but will that odd overtone go away at higher pitches, or should I go back to B which had no ringing and sounded pretty nice, but based on the below, B is pretty low for a 10" Tom. If it matters, it's a starclassic performer tom with cast hoops. Oh, as an edit, I posted here mostly because the pitches given in the Tune Bot tuning guide: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...QP6LVOOxsm-Igw are all higher than a B for a 10" Tom. Machine works well though :).
This seems to me as being just too much work, lol.

Dennis