DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Default Mike Mangini" Drum

Mike Mangini's Dream Theater kit courtesy of Pearl Drums.
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Mike Mangini" Drum

I can understand the symmetrical kit, but why 4 bassdrums?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 PM

Ridiculous... I imagine it'll attract some eyeballs in the audience though
Old 08-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

4 Kick drums? Really? I don't think I would like sitting at that kit. I'd feel a bit claustrophobic I think.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
He has six, actually. He has two electronic kick pads too.

His reasoning is that they're three different sizes. Two 22" kicks as his main ones, then an 18" (or 20"?) to his far right and a 26" to his far left, for different sounds. His electronic pads can obviously be set to trigger any sound imaginable.

Basically, I think he just wanted a kit that would allow him to play just about anything that he could dream up, while keeping with his general ambidextrous style. It's a massive kit, but if anyone has the skills to use it all it would be Mangini.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Platinum Member

Is there somebody in there?

Steve B
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Pearl have dedicated a whole section of their site to that kit:
http://www.pearldrum.com/puredream/puredream.html
Old 08-30-2011, 11:33 PM
"Uncle Larry"

That's re-diculous. I like being able to see what the drummer is doing. He's too covered up.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
That's re-diculous. I like being able to see what the drummer is doing. He's too covered up.
I believe that's mostly the angle of the photo. He's actually pretty clearly visible, as you can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBmz39y5_28
Old 08-30-2011, 11:36 PM

I want it! I'd get lost, but I want it.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 PM

I think having a huge drum set like that takes away from style and finesse...
I see it with Neil Peart too... Both Mangini and Peart are worlds beyond my playing and don't get me wrong, they're awesome... But it's not quite as fantastic to watch as Buddy Rich playing a 5-piece kit for some reason.
I guess you can construct a million fills just by hitting 15 different pitched toms and whatnot, but it's more impressive to watch a thousand different fills on 3 toms and it takes more creativity to not do the same fill you just played.

Also, on the link Naigewron posted there's a video of him doing the first solo and his bass drums sound quiet and not like 22" bass drums should. is that the mix or did he do something to them?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's odd/interesting he has everything either very high or very low.

And while I get what he is trying to do with the 4 bass drums, the fact is with the size venues DT plays, by the time it's mic-ed and run through the PA, I seriously doubt the average person in the audience is going to be able to tell which bass drum he is hitting.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:27 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Thanks Naige...you're right , it's a little better.

I don't know why but the more drums there are, the less I like it. Too much over the top. The extra sounds don't do anything for me. It's the rhythm I'm interested in, not how many different sounds. Rhythm takes a back seat to the different sounds and visual impact. That's where he loses me. I don't care if you have 47 things to hit, give me a compelling rhythm with all that stuff! He had some nice moments for sure, but nothing rhythm-wise that sustained long enough IMO. His bass drums in that vid from Moscow sound like finger snaps on my little laptop speakers, really bad. Sorry Mike, gotta call em like I see em.

It's just too much bling and wow for me. I am more impressed when someone makes a 4 piece kit sound huge. It's much easier to make a huge kit sound huge lol.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 AM

1st...It's free. If pearl said sure, take whatever you want, your in D.T. you wouldnt?
2nd If anyone can play a kit like that its M.M. or Terry Bozzio.
3rd most of the posts I've read in this thread sound like a bunch old woman jealous of the young chick who got the prince. sayin...
4th be happy for the guy who gets to set it up every night. talk about job security.

P.S. Neil Peart has more style and finesse now then he ever did, and his kit is bigger.
Jojo Mayer is GOD.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphile View Post
1st...It's free. If pearl said sure, take whatever you want, your in D.T. you wouldnt?
Probably not

2nd If anyone can play a kit like that its M.M. or Terry Bozzio.
Thats for sure! And Cobham..or Chris Coleman, or Eric Moore.. or Gergo Borlai...

3rd most of the posts I've read in this thread sound like a bunch old woman jealous of the young chick who got the prince. sayin...
Sometimes old women dont want what the young chicks need..

4th be happy for the guy who gets to set it up every night. talk about job security.
Thrilled for Mangini! He wanted it bad, and he stepped up and got it! Give the man all the octobans he wants, I say!

P.S. Neil Peart has more style and finesse now then he ever did, and his kit is bigger.
Hmmm.. I'll stay away from this one. Sticks4Drums is gonna come after me with a stick..

Jojo Mayer is GOD.
Yes. the God of technique.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM

even if the kit wasnt free, I dout that M.M. payed for it. please correct me if I'm wrong ( I know you will. hehehe )

and yes I got the point of the answer to #1 ( at least you could sell it on ebay...oh, but you would'nt have to because you were in D.T:)

I agree with every thing else.
Here's to the OCTOBANS !!!
Old 08-31-2011, 08:51 AM

P.S.
Jojo Mayer IS God
Old 08-31-2011, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

It's his kit, his gig, & that's what he wants. Get with the program guys, IT'S A SHOW!!
Old 08-31-2011, 10:42 AM

Also, on the link Naigewron posted there's a video of him doing the first solo and his bass drums sound quiet and not like 22" bass drums should. is that the mix or did he do something to them?[/quote]

WOW

Do you really think what you hear on a concert goers crappy video recording is what the crowd and/or sound guy and/or the drum tech and/or M.M. actually had those drums tuned to and/or heard/played?
WOW...
I love this web site and all the insight that comes with it, but really?... really?
please , i'll have what he's haveing...it might help with the way I feel about most modern music. If you can call it that.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
WOW

Do you really think what you hear on a concert goers crappy video recording is what the crowd and/or sound guy and/or the drum tech and/or M.M. actually had those drums tuned to and/or heard/played?
I think he was referring to the first link I posted, which leads to Pearl's little site dedicated to that kit.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
It's his kit, his gig, & that's what he wants. Get with the program guys, IT'S A SHOW!!
Andy again you come in a ruin a perfectly good grouchy rant thread with your logic and your reason. I was just about to start ranting about how how his kit is too big and that I only need one bass drum to play my music...

...now I gotta go to another board a pick a fight with another Gretsch kit guy to pass the afternoon at work.

/sarcasm

Naigewron, thanks for the link. That Mangini fellow is a helluva showman and has some wicked chops too.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 08-31-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
WOW

WOW...
I love this web site and all the insight that comes with it, but really?... really?
please , i'll have what he's haveing...it might help with the way I feel about most modern music. If you can call it that.
Hey, chill out... You're talking about a different link than I was and I am not so naive about phone recordings ;)
Old 08-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
Andy again you come in a ruin a perfectly good grouchy rant thread with your logic and your reason. I was just about to start ranting about how how his kit is too big and that I only need one bass drum to play my music...

...now I gotta go to another board a pick a fight with another Gretsch kit guy to pass the afternoon at work.

/sarcasm
Sorry about that, shame on me: ) I'll put that right straight away:

Yeah, what a waste of space that Mangini guy is with his comedy drum department on a riser. If he played a real drum kit such as Gretsch, he'd only need a bass drum, snare & floor tom. The sound is that awesome, you've got all the variety you need right there. & what are those silly mortars hanging off that scaffolding tower? Looks like the back of a Libyan pickup truck!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaard View Post
Because all the big-kit bad-asses are doing it. OK, I'm sure it's to offer more voices, like any part of the kit, but come on.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks Naige...you're right , it's a little better.

I don't know why but the more drums there are, the less I like it. Too much over the top. The extra sounds don't do anything for me. It's the rhythm I'm interested in, not how many different sounds. Rhythm takes a back seat to the different sounds and visual impact. That's where he loses me. I don't care if you have 47 things to hit, give me a compelling rhythm with all that stuff! He had some nice moments for sure, but nothing rhythm-wise that sustained long enough IMO. His bass drums in that vid from Moscow sound like finger snaps on my little laptop speakers, really bad. Sorry Mike, gotta call em like I see em.

It's just too much bling and wow for me. I am more impressed when someone makes a 4 piece kit sound huge. It's much easier to make a huge kit sound huge lol.
But Larry, think about who he is replacing.

His JOB is to replace a guy who used a mega kit, and replicate 20+ years worth of recordings done on a mega kit.

How is he going to accomplish what he was hired to do on anything less?

I'm sure if he auditioned for the Rolling Stones, he'd be out there with a 4pc.

But when you get hired to replace this:

You have to choose the appropriate tools for the job.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:40 PM
"Uncle Larry"

By getting a mega kit like Portnoys...Mike is directly competing with Portnoy's modus operandi..

Hey whatever makes MM happy, I am not against it. But if I was the guy who replaced Portnoy, (fat chance lol) I would go much smaller, kit-wise, just so the comparisons can't be made. And also to signal a new direction, not try to replicate or out do Portnoy at his own game. Show the DT/Portnoy fans that it can be done just as well, perhaps better, with less.
But it's all good, I just personally think it looks rediculous with all that stuff up there. Really rediculous. It detracts a lot more than adds in my mind. If I had any set I wanted for free, I still wouldn't go overboard like that. It's not envy or jealousy either, just my opinion and preferences. But I am a nobody and Mike is a big star.
More power to Mike, he deserves all good things.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

I've never understood the whole thing about some drummers respecting others more if they have smaller kits. Would you respect a guitar player more if he played on a 3-string guitar? Or a keyboard player who used a 1-octave piano? How about a singer who has a half-octave vocal range?

I'm not saying the opposite should apply; I'm saying that kit size should have nothing to do with your respect for the player. Some players play their best with many sound sources available, while others do better with only a few. It completely depends on the style of the drummer. If you were to say that you generally enjoy the style of guys who tend to play smaller kits, that's another thing, but that's a completely different matter than basing your level of respect on how big the guy's kit is.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:53 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Naige, I think it takes more talent to make a small kit do the job than a big kit. I see this one bass player at the jams who plays an 8 string bass. It's just too much IMO. (Plus he kinda sucks). I'm very much 3 little bears when it come to drums, not too little, not too much, just the right amount.

Thank God for the Portnoys of the world though. If everybody was the same how boring would that be?
Old 08-31-2011, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Naige, I think it takes more talent to make a small kit do the job than a big kit.
Let me put it to you another way then: If Buddy Rich played progressive metal (assuming he had the interest and skills for it), do you think he would still use a 4-piece? I'm sure he could, but I'm thinking that he might have seen the need for a few extra drums and cymbals. What about if Mike Mangini played big band jazz, do you think he would use that monstrosity?

For what it's worth, here's Mike rocking a much smaller kit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00GXRzoJbiI

And here's an even smaller one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2e52J5aazQ

The point about both these videos is that Mangini's kit size is a stylistic choice; made on the basis of the type of music that's being played.

But hey, agree to disagree. I tend to like guys who play smaller kits too, but that's because most of my favourite drummers are guys who pound out rocking backbeats, and not chops monsters like Mangini.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
By getting a mega kit like Portnoys...Mike is directly competing with Portnoy's modus operandi..

Hey whatever makes MM happy, I am not against it. But if I was the guy who replaced Portnoy, (fat chance lol) I would go much smaller, kit-wise, just so the comparisons can't be made. And also to signal a new direction, not try to replicate or out do Portnoy at his own game. Show the DT/Portnoy fans that it can be done just as well, perhaps better, with less.
But it's all good, I just personally think it looks rediculous with all that stuff up there. Really rediculous. It detracts a lot more than adds in my mind. If I had any set I wanted for free, I still wouldn't go overboard like that. It's not envy or jealousy either, just my opinion and preferences. But I am a nobody and Mike is a big star.
More power to Mike, he deserves all good things.
But again, you're be naive.

Look at the audition tapes. The band wanted someone who COULD replicate Portnoy. It was a requirement to get the job.

If you went with your idea, you wouldn't have gotten the gig, because you were not doing the job were being hired to do.

You don't walk into a clients house on a re-wire job and say "i don't feel like using my normal tools today because I want to show this guy I can re-wire his house using less tools". You go with your van full of all your best electrical equipment so you can do the job right. Same thing.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:21 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Naige, I respect your views I don't think they are wrong or anything. But who said prog metal HAS to be played with mega kits? Does anyone play prog with basic setups? IDK.

I admit I should probably not even be discussing this because I'm not knowledgeable about prog. Maybe you really do need all that stuff?

I'll concede that I should probably exit this discussion, because I am not intimate w/ the genre, I am again just calling them like I see them.

And DED, I can't dispute what you said either.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:24 PM
sticks4drums

The square rack kills the Pearl kit for me. I do love the size of both of them. I love all the different tom sounds. If Mike showed up at a dream theater concert with a 4 piece he would probably be thrown out. :)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Naige, I respect your views I don't think they are wrong or anything. But who said prog metal HAS to be played with mega kits? Does anyone play prog with basic setups? IDK.
Noone says that, just like noone says that jazz HAS to be played on a 4-piece.

There are tons of guys in the prog metal genre who play 6-piece kits (four toms), and also a few who play 4-pieces (Mark Zonder from Fates Warning springs to mind as one of the most famous examples)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

One very simple reason would be that Mangini needs to sound somewhat like Portnoy. Thats the mandate. He will be performing all the DT material on tour and I believe a lot of the new drum parts are written by Petrucci/Rudess in the DT idiom.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

I admit I should probably not even be discussing this because I'm not knowledgeable about prog. Maybe you really do need all that stuff?

I'll concede that I should probably exit this discussion, because I am not intimate w/ the genre, I am again just calling them like I see them.

And DED, I can't dispute what you said either.
In a previous band I used to play with, we covered several Rush, DT and Tool tracks. I used to take a 4pc kit (albeit with a fair few cymbals) just out of principal. It used to drive the rest of the band mad (especially as the full kit was a 9pc), but my argument was always "if I can't play it on 4, I shouldn't play it at all). After all, anything over a 3pc is just voicing and window dressing! (I'm still a whore for it though!)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:31 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post

One very simple reason would be that Mangini needs to sound somewhat like Portnoy. He will be performing all the DT material on tour and I believe a lot of the new drum parts are written by Petrucci/Rudess in the DT idiom.

Well that is the obvious reason, but thanks for bringing it up. :)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ3000 View Post
In a previous band I used to play with, we covered several Rush, DT and Tool tracks. I used to take a 4pc kit (albeit with a fair few cymbals) just out of principal. It used to drive the rest of the band mad (especially as the full kit was a 9pc), but my argument was always "if I can't play it on 4, I shouldn't play it at all). After all, anything over a 3pc is just voicing and window dressing! (I'm still a whore for it though!)
You could play something similar with that kit, but nothing like the real thing. Sorry, wouldn't work for me. All the different tom sounds are a big part of both drummers music.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Well that is the obvious reason, but thanks for bringing it up. :)
Don't mini bash Abe, even slightly, or I'll force you to play a black Gretsch 3 piece in bop sizes! Also notice my signature change to further emphasise my shell construction impartiality;) :)
Old 08-31-2011, 11:36 PM

As a drummer, i'm phobic to my favorite bands getting new drummers. But it's relaxing to not hear those same fills Portnoy does over and over again. Straight 16ths and double kicking is just a way to say, "fuck it," if you ask me.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:41 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Don't mini bash Abe, even slightly, or I'll force you to play a black Gretsch 3 piece in bop sizes! Also notice my signature change to further emphasise my shell construction impartiality;) :)
Nice to see you finally coming around. :) Now if I can just get the whole world to play Saturns, Sabian, Remo, Dw racks, play monster kits, and celebrate Neil Pearts birthday, then my life would be so easy. :)