DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 AM
Platinum Member

Default What's the deal with this?

OK. After getting a bit of an inner heat from Joe Morris' thread about the dangers of playing an eKit and then jumping on an aKit (great story, Joe!), I began to ask this question:

If so many people jump to eKits because they don't want to bother anybody, yet they want to be drummers, doesn't that mean you want make noise?

In a light-hearted way I'm saying, if you're not prepared to deal with the sound issue, maybe drumming (or anything musical) isn't really for you. My parents, and now my neighbors know they live next to a drummer, and they don't complain. I have to listen to my 10-year-old neighbor squeek away on her clarinet and I don't cringe. There's a budding rock combo playing in a garage up my street that absolutely sucks, but they do it. All musical instruments make sound. For some, they make noise until you learn how to make it sound right (violins, horns). But that's the point of playing a musical instrument, right?

Can't those of you who have neighbors talk with your neighbors and see if you can't strike some kind of accord? This idea would really put a dent in eKit sales. Nobody talks to anybody anymore. My neighbors know anytime during the day I could be playing. When the sun goes down, I stop at a reasonable time. I try never to play before 9AM, too. I have pads to play on, but as we've been discussing, pads don't try to flat-out replace my acoustic drums as electronic kits promise the buyers to do.

I think if you're brave enough to say, I want to learn how to play drums, then you're brave enough to figure out how to make that happen without hiding in a burrow, unknown to us, until you think you're ready. Nobody is ready! Get out there and play. I won't pay money to have some introverted geek with no social skills fronting a wedding band. I'll pay for an entertainer, though. And how do you learn that if you're not brave enough to declare to the world you're learning how to do something alot of other people won't tackle?

My apologies to all the introverted-geeks-with-no-social-skills who may be lurking here, but I think you guys get my point, right? To be a drummer, especially, means you're loud, it means you're actually the leader of the band, and it means you're the one holding it all together - regardless of what the singing guitar player thinks. Those are the kind of players we pay to see. Which one are you?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: What's the deal with this?

i'm a very loud drummer, the only reason why i'd get an e-kit is because i want to practice past 7pm or before 9am, like you stated in unreasonable times.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
In a light-hearted way I'm saying, if you're not prepared to deal with the sound issue, maybe drumming (or anything musical) isn't really for you.
Mrs Pocket and a sleeping little Pocket feel exactly the same way. They'd both argue "drums aren't for them."

Get the point? :-)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:15 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

First of all Bo let me say if thats you in the picture "what are you doing this weekend"

Second of all I'm glad you liked my story. I had no idea that thread would end up quite the topic.

Third of all when I was very young at the age of 4 I started playing drums and taking lessons. We didn't have ekits in 1964. I'm giving away my age here. lol So yea, I played in my grandparents laundry room on the 2nd floor on my first acoustic kit. I remember my grandfather who's tv room was underneath the laundry room sitting 2 feet from the tv so he could hear it. No one ever complained especially him. When my mom and I moved into an apartment I set up a time schedule with my neighbors so I could practice. When my mother and I finally got our own house the neighbors complained and sent the police a few times. That didn't stop me either, I just told them I was going to play regardless. I didn't care if I was bothering anyone to be honest. I needed to practice and that was the end of it.

When I moved to Philly on my own and lived in an apartment I rented a practice space so I could shed. The moral of the story here is if you wanna practice on your akit you can make it happen you just have to want it bad enough

joe
Old 08-15-2011, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Mrs Pocket and a sleeping little Pocket feel exactly the same way. They'd both argue "drums aren't for them."

Get the point? :-)
I get it. Before this thread starts down the dark path of me appearing to have it made with the people around me, I'll apologize for my tone. I know it's hard on people to make noise around others who don't want to hear anything to disturb them. However, I think those people are also being unreasonable. I'm sure we've all been in a position of wanting something. So, you negotiate, you be diplomatic, you do anything so you can get to what you want. My wife doesn't like the noise, but she also knows it's important to me to do it, so we compromise. If you think it's impossible to compromise with someone, then we're no longer talking about just getting an opportunity to play drums on a regular basis, eh?
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post
First of all Bo let me say if thats you in the picture "what are you doing this weekend"

Second of all I'm glad you liked my story. I had no idea that thread would end up quite the topic.

Third of all when I was very young at the age of 4 I started playing drums and taking lessons. We didn't have ekits in 1964. I'm giving away my age here. lol So yea, I played in my grandparents laundry room on the 2nd floor on my first acoustic kit. I remember my grandfather who's tv room was underneath the laundry room sitting 2 feet from the tv so he could hear it. No one ever complained especially him. When my mom and I moved into an apartment I set up a time schedule with my neighbors so I could practice. When my mother and I finally got our own house the neighbors complained and sent the police a few times. That didn't stop me either, I just told them I was going to play regardless. I didn't care if I was bothering anyone to be honest. I needed to practice and that was the end of it.

When I moved to Philly on my own and lived in an apartment I rented a practice space so I could shed. The moral of the story here is if you wanna practice on your akit you can make it happen you just have to want it bad enough

joe
Sorry Joe, that's not me. But I do know her. And it was a great story, it's happened to me too! I wholeheartedly agree with you - if you want it bad enough, you'll make it happen. My life has been the same way. Maybe better because people were encouraging to me personally. It's when I had bad guitar players over that people called the cops ;)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:33 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hook a brother up if you know her. LOL.

I stopped my story at my apartment in Philly. Listen man, I was touring with a major act, taking care of my family making a killer living and my wife would still call it noise!!

I just used to laugh and keep playing. Now days I don't even have a kit set up at home and I have a 20x20 sound proof room in my house. I practice at the studio. I realize I am a very very lucky man and I still stand by what I said. If you want it bad enough you can work it out.

You let guitar players in your house!!! Whow, I think the lowest I have ever gone is I let a bass player in one time.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Morris View Post

You let guitar players in your house!!! Whow, I think the lowest I have ever gone is I let a bass player in one time.
I know. I learned my lesson that day. No more ;)

And to help you out, book your flights on Alaska Air. You just might meet.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:08 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Believe it or not I have played in Alaska. Anchorage on Spenard road or something years ago.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Oh I believe it. You might want to get gigs up there again ;)
Old 08-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
However, I think those people are also being unreasonable. I'm sure we've all been in a position of wanting something. So, you negotiate, you be diplomatic, you do anything so you can get to what you want. My wife doesn't like the noise, but she also knows it's important to me to do it, so we compromise. If you think it's impossible to compromise with someone, then we're no longer talking about just getting an opportunity to play drums on a regular basis, eh?
"Unreasonable".....well, I'll tell her....but I already know what she's gonna say. Drums banging away in the family home on and off from 5.30 ish til anytime around 7......and then some on weekends is "reasonable" enough. Outside of that, I have the practice pads....oneday it'll be an ekit.....so, I feel it IS possible to compromise. I just don't think "compromising" necessarily equates to me blowing ear drums out whenever it suits me.

I dunno why this bothers you mate. You're an old hand who's been round the block a few times and are good at what you do. You'd know more than anyone that there's is more than one way to skin a cat. It shouldn't matter how people choose to practice. What's important is that they're doing something....anything. It all works towards improving. I couldn't give a rats arse if all people used to practice on were phone books.......beats doing nothing at all. More power to 'em.....however they decide to improve themselves. ;-)

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 08-15-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
"a rats arse "
Rimshots??????????????
Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Rimshots??????????????
Less wear and tear on the stick.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My apologies to all the introverted-geeks-with-no-social-skills who may be lurking here
Somewhat bruised by your gratuitous foisting of reality on me but apology accepted :)

I made lots of noise in my youth - played for hours every day. One time a jam at my place was interrupted by my Dad saying that "the woman next door is screaming" lol. I couldn't see her over the high back fence but I heard hysterical wailing. Couldn't make out a word she was saying but the meaning was clear. One time Dad had to bribe another neighbour with beer to keep him sweet. Another time a council man broke up a band practice we were having in a scout hall during the first song - he had two Dobermans with him too lol

Now I'm living in close quarters with very thin walls. One time I tried playing the kit on a Sunday afternoon - very very quietly. That lasted about 60 seconds before the woman upstairs complained. So I tap on my little pads.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Looking back as an adult, I was super fortunate that my family let me bang away as much as I wanted from 8:30 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. and I was a practice-aholic. I kid you not, the least I shedded everyday was 3 hours per day and the most 8 or 9 hours.

Now being a homeowner and a neighbor, I can only imagine how many lives I made miserable in my hood. Cops came and went and I always listened.

The best was when neighbors would come over and watch me play then politely request me from playing on a certain upcoming day that was important to them for a party at their home. I always had the greatest amount of respect for them and 100% of the time I did it.

That being said, I now have my music room set up in a part of the basement that is surrounded by three walls of concrete block and no windows. The other wall is drywall.

I also play fairly lightly and at most 2-3 hours on any given day about 4 days per week. When the band (jazz trio) comes over we are still fairly quiet and my wife tells me it can barely be heard outside within 20 feet from the house. I do always make sure at any time, the windows and doors are closed.

I do not own an eKit but do see their place. For me, for quiet time, I work on playing brushes. Lord knows I have such a long way to go and so many more skills to develop with them and find that kind of time actually very valuable.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Playing an eKit is like hitting plastic golf balls in the back yard. You can't go to the driving range or play golf that day so you do the next best, or only plausible thing. Fore.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:21 PM

If the police keep getting called out to your place because you want to "rock on the drums" they can easily stop you by confinscating your ENTIRE drumset. I would love to actually see someone tell the police that they are going to keep playing regardless who they bother, gooood luck with that!

I am a drummer but i am also sensible enough to realize that most people do not want to hear someone "rockin on the drums" or any other instrument for that matter regardless what time of day it is. I have pratice pads and a pratice remo setup. It has worked fine for me and I have never bothered anybody.

I sure would love to see someone move into my neighborhood thinking they are going to disturb the peace at their own will lol. All of their music equipment would end up in an auction down at the local police department and I would be on the front row bidding :)

Nobody wants to hear anyone practicing, thats like fingernails on a chalk board.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM

Ummm.. I have a roland TD9KX which was hooked up in the garage, i put cardboard boxes up against the door and hung blankets around the walls and i still had the neighbours knocking on the door because they could hear me tapping on the rubber of the cymbals, ive had to move my kit to my lead guitarists studio due to the complaining.

Sometimes you just get snobby arsehole neighbours, imagine if i had an acoustice kit!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfern View Post
Sometimes you just get snobby arsehole neighbours, imagine if i had an acoustice kit!
No way I'd put up with that minute anal moaning. Take up the bagpipes!!!!
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting, I never considered the introversion angle on these things, but I think you're right- it's an element. There's a whole lot of shrinking from the arena going on these days- the drum cover thing is another example of that.

Another thing- and I know I'm being a cranky bastard here: there is no such thing as an "a-kit"- those are what we call drums.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Playing an eKit is like hitting plastic golf balls in the back yard. .
LOL!!! That made my morning.

I just recently started playing. One of the reasons I actually started is because I am the introvert. At 42, I have been dealing with a mild form of social anxiety disorder for most of my life. I get nervous and have a hard time relaxing even with my drum teacher, but it's better each time.

That could even be why I gravitated to the drums as a kid. The drummer is an integral part of the group but gets to be semi-hidden and out of the spotlight.

I realize now that it's something I should have dealt with when I was younger rather than cater to all my life. Right now I'm content to make "noise" in my basement but I know as I progress the need to seek out others to play with will grow stronger and stronger, forcing me out of my figurative, and literal, box. Playing with others or in front of a crowd will be a huge hurdle for me to overcome. Worst part is, it's something I should have dealt with when I was 14, and not 40. As a result I've missed a possible lifetime of doing something that I would have really loved to do.

Call it a mis-life crisis, or whatever, but I am commited to not only learning this instrument, but playing with a band, in front of a crowd before I check out of this life.

I live in the suburbs, and have my music room set up in the basement with 6" concrete, and an insulated 4" wall. At the moment I am still building out the basement and am planning on making the room as soundproof as possible, but at the moment it pretty much shakes the house. It's not loud enough to disturb the neighbors, but it rocks our house.

Out of respect for the other members of the house, I only practice without any pads when it's convenient for everybody. My wife is very accomodating and says I can practice whenever I want, but I still try to keep it down.

I bought an e-kit so that I could practice late at night, and it does work good for that. but as I mentioned in another thread; the rubber pads and cymbal pads are louder than my acoustic kit with pads.
My wife, two floors up in bed, can hear the sticks on the rubber pads, The acoustic kit with practice pads, while it sounds louder at the kit, the sound doesn't seem to travel as far through the house.

Once I got over the novelty of all the different sounds the e-kit can produce, I kinda lost interest.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Plastic golfballs is right, lol. Tony Williams said drums are a loud instrument, live with that! ( despite the fact that he could buzz roll as smooth n' soft as rats pissing on cotton wool )

My drumkit has spent years packed & stacked in a NYC high rise. Practice then, was a studio or a pad. Now I have the luxury of a home practice studio and an ekit in the bedroom (yes, Mrs Aydee is a very nice lady ).
The nicest thing about an Ekit for me is that you could jump up and work on an idea at any moment in time, day or night, for 2 minutes or for 2 hrs. A great tool but is it a real drum kit, no way. That how I see it.

There's no getting away from soundproofing,practice studios, friendly tolerant neighbors or a house in the woods

Old 08-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Todd's right - they are drums, not aKits. I was just trying to differentiate the two. I realize that if I differentiate between aKit and eKit, I'm making it sound as if you could substitute one for the other, and my whole point is that you can't.

And Pocket is right, I am an old-hand at this and I don't really care how you get where you want to be: be it drums, ePads, telephone books, whatever. I'm trying not to be judgmental about it, but when I survey how many people I meet and lots of people on this forum who want to play but don't want to disturb anybody, it kinda' bugs me a bit. It's like you wanna make music, but you automatically decide that you can do it without making a sound. That just seems a little oxymoronish to me.

Aydee is right - Tony Williams said the drums are a loud instrument - and I think we all need to deal with that. Of course, how you do it is ultimately up to you: be it ePads, phones books, or renting a studio, or padding up a basement. But as Joe Morris stated in his story, there is a danger to playing the pads and then transferring over immediately to some real drums. That was his point. I'm just saying if you ultimately want to be a drummer, then you must ultimately find a way to play your drums. Find a way to make that happen.

When I played the Zendrum exclusively, the thought had crossed my mind that maybe I didn't have to play regular drums again (especially after seeing Future Man with Bela Fleck) for a split second. But only for a split second.

I'm sure what I'm saying sounds controversial. I'm grouping people together and whatnot, and I know everyone has their reasons for wanting to keep the noise level down. But I say that's just building up stress on top of the stress we already have from everything else. And weren't the drums supposed to help with that? Isn't that why we all feel so good at the end of good practice session or gig on our drums?

To keep yourself in a position of being stressed out because you may be disturbing your neighbors can't be good for your mental drumming health, or your health in general. Which led me to questioning one's desire to play a musical instrument at all. If playing is such a joy to us, don't you think we'd find a way to make that happen as often as possible?

There's my deep tough for the week.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

When I was at AIM we were all required to practice on e kits or the sound of that place would have caused buildings to topple. At first I resisted it, but after a while it was like like adjusting to anything else. Now granted, when I first started out then tried to play the kit, it was a big pain for sure. But as time went on the adjustment issues became less and less significant until they weren't worth talking about. On a positive note I credit my ease with adjusting to different European kits to my time adjusting to e kits at AIM.

I realize that it's tough not always having the sound you get from that perfect acoustic setup back home. But we're also drummers after all and I think it would be incorrect for us to think that the rules aren't a little different for us...and that includes the e kit/different kit issues alongside the loudness concerns. We're also not entirely unique anyway. The brass players in my larger family put mutes in their bells when they live in apartments. So we're not the only ones. But over time they too have learned to adapt to the adjustments required to be successful.

Mostly I believe that equipment adjustments become more difficult when we mentally self impose more difficulty on them than necessary. If you think something is supposed to be hard, doesn't that generally make it harder?

To me, this is one issue not worth the extra sweat.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

First off, you're only looking at e-kits being used for practice.

Which ignores their other uses, which includes ease of for recording, accessing sounds that could otherwise not be obtained, expanding one's sonic pallet, and/or playing things that can't easily be heard on an acoustic drum.

Quote:
yet they want to be drummers, doesn't that mean you want make noise?

In a light-hearted way I'm saying, if you're not prepared to deal with the sound issue, maybe drumming (or anything musical) isn't really for you.
I agree here, but at the same token, on a purely philosophical level, if the idea of drums is to make noise, then why does anyone practice quietly? Why use brushes? Why practice dynamics? Why does not everyone play full on bashing 100% of the time?

Of course, those are silly questions, because the answer is there is more to drums than just making noise.

You might be able to play in your house during reasonable times, but if Scott Travis came over with his Judas Priest drum kit and set up in your house, do you think you're neighbors would feel the same way? Probably not.

That all said, I do agree that if you want it, you make it happen.

I've dragged my drums all over to have a place to practice. I've spent tons over the years on rental studios, and I spent more than I care to think about building my mostly-sound proof studio in my house. And yes, Scott Travis could set up in my room, and get away with it.

However, the other thing that you are ignoring is most people who buy a drums set have zero intentions of going pro, playing gigs, or taking the approach you or I have about drums. For the vast majority of people who buy drums, it is a hobby and nothing more. And I see nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

I play drums, i've arranged one hour per day were i can bang as loud and proud as i want, and im using it fully. I'd rather bang loud for an hour, than quiet for three. After all i can't just play every now and then, im sharing a room with my brother, but even if didn't im in the basement and my bass drum is making every glass on the table in the living room tremble.

When I started drumming my parents were like: Those ekits are so fantastic, you can play whenever you want!" And I was like:" I want the real deal, im playing drums, not guitar hero." And so it was, i had to deal with the consequences of the choice, but everytime I bang, I know i made the right decision.

It's not like i don't see how ekits doesn't have their place. I practised on a single pad for a year before i got my own kit (played somewhere else when i could). Can only say that i've improved tenfold after getting my own kit...

Then again, to me and akit was the right choice, but to some other fella, the best and only choice might be an ekit. I respect that. That was just my 25 cents. Enteresting post after all - made me think..
Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

I don't have a problem with eKits, they have their place, but I agree that eKits shouldn't replace real drum kits even for practice. Practice the way you perform. If you're performing on an eKit, by all means play and practice your eKit. But you can't expect to have a seamless transition from practicing on an eKit to performing on a real kit.

mattsmith, Brass players using mutes are still practicing on the instrument they perform on, whether its muted or not. An eKit is a completely different instrument. You can get silencer pads, mesh heads, all kinds of stuff to lower the volume of your while you practice.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post

mattsmith, Brass players using mutes are still practicing on the instrument they perform on, whether its muted or not. An eKit is a completely different instrument. You can get silencer pads, mesh heads, all kinds of stuff to lower the volume of your while you practice.
Mutes alter resistance which alters all aspects of breath support regulation. In the brass world there is no bigger adjustment because it requires a comprehensive (whole body) physical transformation, which one could probably not compare to a drum related timbre issue adjustment requiring a small, localized area of the body. That trumpet may indeed look like the same instrument you picked up before inserting the mute, but I would bet that to the brass player it's the equivalent of something entirely different. After all what could be more comprehensive and personal than the very air that flows through one's body?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Todd's right - they are drums, not aKits.
Todd is right. I couldn't agree more.

But to shake it up, my great-grandfather said the same thing about guitars. [shakes fist......damn you Les Paul!!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
You can get silencer pads, mesh heads, all kinds of stuff to lower the volume of your while you practice.
But they still don't sound like drums.....even the humble mute is a rather disappointing substitue. An e-kit, for the most part, can replicate that sound. As I said on Joe's thread, I know what I'd rather hear.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 AM

Another fun thread !!

OK - I play electronic drums because:

- they sound fantastic when they are "tuned" properly
- I have a "real" job and can only play before 8am and after 5pm
- they are excellent to record with (and I use the electronic kit mostly in my studio)
- I would need a warehouse and millions of dollars to afford the equivalent acoustic instruments

Not all drummers want to play in bands and live - and just because one likes playing drums alone / quietly or in a private studio doesn't make one any less of a drummer. Note that I also like the loud aspect and "feel" of acoustic drums and this is why I have both a-s and e-s.

Many musicians I have played with have loved the sound of my electronic kit and have requested that I use that instead of my acoustic kit - and some musicians have requested the opposite.

When I was a young fellow I did play a large acoustic kit in suburbia for years - never got complaints - and they were LOUD!!! Ironically, when I lived in the country with the nearest house more than a mile away (in as straight line) I had people come around and complain about the noise. Similarly, when we tried to rehearse in a factory in a heavy industrial area I also got complaints - go figure those ones out????
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 AM

I got an E-kit because my mother made me :'( Luckily she has seen the light and now I'm saving for an A-kit and she says she will get me a crash for christmas! I love living at home!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:26 AM

Bleh, right after i submit a post on Joe Morris's thread, I open this one and realize the post would have been better here... and what's with the spam post right after mine on that thread? You can read it, or to sum it up, I think my e-kit is the second most important educational tool next to my drums.

Anyways, to chime in on the noise and neighbors thing, I've had 3 new neighbors in a year since i started playing again (I wonder if I had anything to do with that lol) A few days after they move in i always come over with the wife and kid and introduce ourselves and warn them that they've moved in next to a drummer... I tell them that I understand that the noise can sometimes be "annoying" because I'm practicing, not performing... part of practicing is playing the same thing, sometimes over and over for a solid hour and that can get old, i understand that... i give them my cell number and let them know that if they ever need me to stop playing, text or call me and I'll happily jump onto my e-kit or pad and that I will rarely ever play early mornings or past 10pm... they have always been very receptive to my candor and I've always gotten a compliment on my drumming anyways!

Polly, I had the same kind of thing happen to me when I was very young... My parents let me use the pool house as a practice room and I distinctly remember my Dad chuckling to me about our neighbor screaming "oh god not again" every time I started playing... although I never quit playing, i think that happening in my young years definitely affected my drumming attitude... it's like i'm hyper aware that I'm being very loud, and sometimes it has almost held me back... In the past, when I've taken a break from a shedding session and gone outside and heard neighbors all around me outside in their yards, and when I come back in and resume, I notice I play less confidently and solidly because I'm subconsciously trying to play softer... it sucks... does this affect anyone else?
Old 08-16-2011, 06:33 AM

That was a very inspirational post Bo! You helped remind me why I do it :)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
But to shake it up, my great-grandfather said the same thing about guitars. shakes fist......damn you Les Paul!!
Right, "in my day..."--- I think maybe a guitar-style midi controller would be more analogous- a Synthaxe, or whatever.

Quote:
Todd's right - they are drums, not aKits. I was just trying to differentiate the two. I realize that if I differentiate between aKit and eKit, I'm making it sound as if you could substitute one for the other, and my whole point is that you can't.
Ha, I know- sorry to nitpick your language- you know what you're doing...
Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Right, "in my day..."--- I think maybe a guitar-style midi controller would be more analogous- a Synthaxe, or whatever.
Hey!!....I never said it was a particularly good argument......it was a feeble attempt, you know it and I know it. But it was the best I come come up with this morning in my hungover state. I've never said I wasn't a "difficult" child.
I'll now bow out gracefully with no further commotion. :-)

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 08-16-2011 at 08:24 AM.