DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Which is harder to play drums or guitar?!?!

Apples and oranges. Still, both are equally hard.

The one thing that drummers have to do that is unique is we have to "pave the way" for the soloists. They don't have to do that nearly to the degree we do. Heck they can drop out when someone else is taking the lead. We have to be, and I hate to say it but it's true, subservient to most of the others. That takes security, humility and acceptance IMO. It takes a certain type of personality. To say, I'll give you what you need, have fun with it... goes beyond the bounds of actually playing the instrument and into the higher, social aspects of the music, the conversational aspect of it, the foundation we MUST provide for things to work. In other words when someone is talking, (playing a lead part) we should be listening (supporting, staying out of the way) not talking as well.

In a way we have the most thankless job in the band. So beyond the physical techniques that goes into playing the drums, it also takes a willingness to take the back seat to the others. Imagine your lead guitarist in that role of having to totally support everyone else without any limelight. Lol, right?. Imagine a great technical drummer that steps on everyone and doesn't have the consideration to get out of the way. Ugh.
Drummers must understand the role they play in the band, that's the biggest problem I see. They play lead drums in too many inappropriate spots and don't understand the role of the drumset in the music as well as they should. We support. The drums are NOT a lead instrument. (There's always exceptions, I am speaking broadly)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn-4 View Post
that sentence has no validity whatsoever
I think that just might have been a joke.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I think that just might have been a joke.
lets hope so for humanities sake
Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM
Administrator - Mayor

After much deliberation I would have to say, The Bagpipes.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
The only instrument in history that can devalue a neighbour's property faster than drums, lol!!!!
Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn-4 View Post
lets hope so for humanities sake
Humanity is quite safe mate. .

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 09-02-2011 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ever tried a thumb piano, GD?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
So is humanity really safe Abe? .....from you I mean......lord knows it hasn't got a prayer against itself.

I'm still squirreling away those pennies for our little sojourn in Bar-th-elona. Who knows....one of these days I might even get there. :-)
Old 09-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
So is humanity really safe Abe? .....from you I mean......lord knows it hasn't got a prayer against itself.

I'm still squirreling away those pennies for our little sojourn in Bar-th-elona. Who knows....one of these days I might even get there. :-)

Squrrel away, bud. Wouldnt that be 'fo' cool! Meeting a fellow DWer in qaint Bar-fa-lona. Great flameco guitairsts playing on the streets, btw... ( really hard techinque too....... all that plucking n' tapping on nylon strings.... ).

A little Sangria ( dunno, maybe we'll switch to beers after the token nod to the exotic local brew and hopefully after scarfing a few, the buildings will appear to melt right in front of us.. )

Few years ago I hooked up with Katman in Capetown. Awesome experience.. Andy's on my list too one of these days..

The world is not really safe anymore, but rest easy, its safe from me. We are all aritists ito some extent, and all artists are creaters not destroyers ( well they do have a tendency to destroy themselves every now and then.. ), BUT.

The danger to humanity usually somes from people who love staus quo and like way the 'furniture' is laid out. Pull a chair closer to the window and they get mad and break out in hives.. " put it back, please its not supposed to be there"!!

Which is harder ..Maths or Painting? Neurosurgery or Power lifting? To talk for an autistic kid or to stop talking for a bi polar kid?

Guitar or drums? which is harder?

Sometimes there are just no answers to certain questions and we should not expect to have them. As the great physicist, drummer, bongo player, juggler, and the solver of the Space Shuttle Accident ' mystery, and allround smart and philosophical guy Richard Feynman once said;

" Its ok to say " I dont know".

Last edited by aydee; 09-02-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Andy's on my list too one of these days..
Just tip me the nod Abe.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Just tip me the nod Abe.
Flying via Frankfurt mostly thesedays, Andy. Heathrow scares me, but one day I'll muster up the courage and raid your cellar..

Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Flying via Frankfurt mostly thesedays, Andy. Heathrow scares me, but one day I'll muster up the courage and raid your cellar..

Heathrow's an issue for sure. Being probably the world's oldest large airport, unlike many airports, it's grown in a sprawling manner rather than being designed as a finished concept. It is getting better though. They've done a lot of work recently, & it's a long way from being the worst out there IME.

Feel free to raid away Abe!
Old 09-03-2011, 02:00 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:

I own one Kalimba.......................
Old 09-04-2011, 08:21 PM

I can only speak from experience but after trying on and off for about fifteen years to play guitar even having proffesional lessons for a year I realised it never felt comfortable and I never had the ability to go further I decided to finally buy a crappy CB kit four months ago and it seemed so natural to me it was shocking how quick Ive been picking it up, dont get me wrong im not amazing by any stretch but I think it comes to natural ability I find drumming far easier myself to pick up, my abilities after four months outweigh my guitaring by miles. Saying that I obviously had rythmn from playing guitar so I wasnt learning an instrument from scratch so I dont think its what is harder its just how hard you find it and I will never go back to guitar because I was born to drum I just wish Id done it fifteen years ago!
Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Guitar is a much more difficult instrument to master than drums, because every guitarist I've ever met says so. How can so many guitarists be wrong, surely not, eh?
Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Guitar. Too many chords to remember and with my short fingers I can't manipulate the fretboard. Drums you have to learn rhythm and the guitar rhythm and melody.
I was going to say the same thing; I have a good sense of music and can bang around on a piano to a certain degree or a vibraphone and I play a mean air guitar but the actual fingering and the memory it takes to play half decent let alone really well, totally alludes me.
You spend a little time with someone who has never played a drum (s) and put them in a drum circle after a bit of instruction and away they go. Not so with guitar, wish I could though.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

Personally, I think that the drums are much easier to play.

Two hands and one foot on 4 large targets will get you by as opposed to 4 fingers, six strings and targets about 1/2" apart.

I tried guitar but got nowhere. Basic drums seemed to come easy.

If you are talking about mastering the drums, that may be a different story.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:36 AM

Depends how good you wanna be. On drums the scale goes from White Stripes-Tool (lol), on guitar, idk the scale but you can do straight power chords (not hard) or some Dream Theater stuff. I play both, and im naturally a drummer, guitar was hard for me to learn. But,drums, whether a natural or a slow learner, or not easy at all.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 AM

Honestly can't say for sure because I've never even touched a stringed instrument but guitar (and to a lesser extent bass) looks like it is a much harder instrument then drums just because of the dextreity aspect, not to mention memorizing endless amounts of scales, chords, ect. Trying to play and carry a rythm or beat and melodies and whatnot on those tiny strings looks like it would murder my brain lol. And from what I've seen (ahem, heard) from others it takes alot of fine tuned practice and years of shedin' just to get a decent tone out of the damn things...

What Would Ian Paice Do?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:48 AM

Check out my band The No Names!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-No...50738751676702
Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Nice topic.

I picked up guitar a week ago since i quit drumming. It was something i had on my mind for quite some time cause i find a guitar is a very powerful instrument with lots of possibilities. And i must say, even though i am just studying and trying for a week, it is clear to me that it is tougher than leather. A friend of mine got really good within two years which proves me that with dedication it can be done. Having a guitar and being able to play it opens doors that will always be closed for drummers. At this time i can almost play 'no woman no cry' and i am convinced that learning the guitar is going to be a quest that will often frustrate me so much that i will consider quiting. To prevent such situations to happen, i will never let anybody hear my playing from who i am not sure if they will respect the growing player, cause that is what has killed my love fro drumming too!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:30 PM

I play both guitar and drums, though mainly drums and I feel they are different difficulties at different levels. Guitar is much harder to pick up in the beginning than drums, however once you have the basics of guitar you can play a lot and sound quite decent. Drums takes more practice to get to the solid sounding stage if you playing anything more than basic 4/4 stuff. However it is much harder to get guitar to the natural improvising stage and truly master the instrument (I'm nowhere near yet) But I believe good drum solos are harder than good guitar solos, we also have to keep the beat. So in final answer if drums or guitar is harder, yes.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM

Having tried to play both, I think the guitar is clearly harder to excel at. That being said, put a guitarist behind a drumset and they will have a heck of a time playing even the most basic of beats while I think a drummer can pick up a few chords and play passable rythm guitar.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

Have to admit I have to doff my cap in respect to my strumming brethren but Guitar is patently a harder instrument to learn to play than drums.

From a personal perspective, I sat down at my first set of drums and was able to play a basic beat...never had a lesson. I just knew what to do from having copied what the guy in the next house to me was doing on my chair arm and leg.

I suspect (but cannot evidence) that a LOT of drummers have done something similar. I can't imagine that any drummer walked into a drum lesson without any clue as to how to hold a stick, play a basic beat etc. and learned from scratch. I'm probably wrong.

Whereas guitar....well I guess no-one has ever picked a guitar up from scratch and been able to play it

Now...in terms of the physical side of things I think drums are harder, physically, to play.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Silver Member

In many ways, guitar is easier; you have a single instrument to cover, you can play it at home in a studio apartment with neighbors complaining, etc. Most guitarists only know how to play a single instrument; drum technique, while portable between all our instruments, still requires specific techniques for each instrument.

I'd say it's not a one-to-one comparison, at all.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:10 PM

What's the best method for a drummer to learn guitar?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:15 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerfromsaturn View Post
What's the best method for a drummer to learn guitar?
Take procedure he learned to drum with and re-apply as needed.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Define play. I play both. I define myself as a drummer, but I have spent a lot of time playing guitar too. I tried guitar first when I was eleven, but it was too hard to teach myself at the time and I lost interest. It was easier to teach myself drums and I really enjoyed it, so I stuck with it and got the basics down.

When I went to tech school, I couldn't bring my drums with me. My roommate had an acoustic guitar, so I started playing it. By that time we were all playing power chords and that made it easy to learn a few songs and actually enjoy it. OK, I was 19 or 20 then, I still play guitar and drums now at 43. I still stink at guitar and my drumming is good enough for playing in a band. I can play quite a few more songs on guitar now, but I've reached a point on both instruments where the only way to progress is to spend lots of time practicing. On drums I have developed well and I see personal progress, but on guitar, it's always a struggle to get better and progress, and then if I don't play for awhile, I'll lose my gains quickly. You really gotta keep your chops up on both instruments, but I'd say guitar is harder in many ways. Then again, once you reach a certain point in drumming, it can also get very complex and difficult, as you all know, and those gains can go away just as quickly if you don't keep to a good practice schedule.

I don't know if this really answers the question. It is very subjective to where one's head is at musically. I know playing drums has certainly helped me learn to play guitar better, and on the flip-side knowing some guitar certainly helps me do better on the drums.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 PM

guitar...more versatile
Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Anthony Amodeo

how long is a piece of string ?

how much does a vacation cost?

how long does a project take?

...sorry ....just thought I would ask a couple more pointless questions with no answers
Old 12-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
how long is a piece of string ?

how much does a vacation cost?

how long does a project take?

...sorry ....just thought I would ask a couple more pointless questions with no answers
Man! You need a hug! :)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:19 PM

Everybody plays guitar. It can't be too damn hard.

I learned chords when I was really young, and my grandfather had me playing songs in a few hours.

I've been playing drums for over ten years, and I still suck.

Drums are MUCH more physically demanding. If you wanna play guitar, you have to spend a few days, or weeks coordinating your fingers to it. Drums? If you want a certain result, it's months of practice. You gotta develope this leg's speed; you gotta' get this hand more independent; oh man, I can't play 8th notes fast enough, I better work on my rudiments a lot this MONTH.

With drums, there are virtually NO shortcuts. If you want to play something you have to physically and mentally work for it. I know Guitar is physical, too, but drums are really hard on the entire body - not just your precious little wrists and fingers.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticksEasy View Post

I learned chords when I was really young, and my grandfather had me playing songs in a few hours.

I've been playing drums for over ten years, and I still suck.

Drums are MUCH more physically demanding. If you wanna play guitar, you have to spend a few days, or weeks coordinating your fingers to it. Drums? If you want a certain result, it's months of practice. You gotta develope this leg's speed; you gotta' get this hand more independent; oh man, I can't play 8th notes fast enough, I better work on my rudiments a lot this MONTH.

With drums, there are virtually NO shortcuts. If you want to play something you have to physically and mentally work for it. I know Guitar is physical, too, but drums are really hard on the entire body - not just your precious little wrists and fingers.
you have absolutely no idea what you are talking

zero

sorry but its true

you think strumming a few chords is playing guitar?

.....and...."you have to spend a few days, or weeks coordinating your fingers to it."

are you being serious?

you really have no idea what you are talking about......whatsoever.....nothing

my goodess
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Everybody speaks English. It can't be too damn hard.

(And then there's native speakers who are worse than people who've learned it as a foreign language. Can't be too damn hard... English is easy - to get into and getting understood. But takes way more effort to get it linguistically clean/on a high level/depending on the context. I see some parallels to guitar. It's easy to pick it up but once you start delving into it you'll see new horizons opening everywhere and notice you actually don't have enough lfetime to learn all there is.)

Hey, I agree with a lot what you said actually ;-)
Reading gva's post... Maybe I agree with some things you said ;-)
Old 12-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Yeah...of course, Paco de Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughing, John Scofield, Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Django Reinhart, and many, many, many more others... all these guys are playing real easy stuff... it can't be too hard isn't it...

Truth is... I can't play the guitar, I find drums much more easy, easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
you have absolutely no idea what you are talking
Unless he's joking of course...
Old 12-02-2012, 12:20 AM

i've been studying and thinking on this post since it's beginning.

several times i almost responded, but then thought better about it - as i felt i didn't have an answer yet. but now, i do. and the answer is.....

4 Years.

that's right. 4 Years.

it took me four years to feel in control of myself and the instrument. not that i have learned all there is to know about either instrument, that will never happen. after 37 years on guitar i'm still amazed when i learn a new pathway, road, outlook or perspective on guitar and i fully expect to keep learning more for as long as i'm a guitarist.

but it took me four years on both guitar and drums to feel like i can keep it in the road and handle what challenges present themselves. and to feel like i'm in charge of the instrument and not merely hanging on as best as i can while trying desperately to not get tossed off.

i feel like now (on drums) i have finally reached a point where i can comfortably experiment with ideas concepts and equipment in a rational way rather than blindly (with assistance from the more knowledgeable of course) stumbling in the dark trying to figure out the landscape and how it works.

after 4 years in i can tell you that they are equally hard to master. and by master i mean gain control of.

if your definition of master is to Top Jimmy or Buddy...then your mileage may vary.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM

Here's a thought experiment: If you took 200 non-musicians and gave 100 of them a year of guitar instruction and gave the other 100 a year of drum instruction. Assuming they all spent the same time practicing, which group would have better mastery of their instrument?
I think the drummers.

DW Performance Series
Ludwig Legacy Mahogany
Paiste
Zildjian
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fess View Post
Here's a thought experiment: If you took 200 non-musicians and gave 100 of them a year of guitar instruction and gave the other 100 a year of drum instruction. Assuming they all spent the same time practicing, which group would have better mastery of their instrument?
I think the drummers.
I think a lot of drummers are really not as good as they suspect after a year. I play both strings and obviously drums. To me, drums are the deeper instrument for expression. There's more to them, but unfortunately for threads like these, it's mostly in subtlety, feel, and understanding. Some drummers literally never "get it", and even though the same goes for string players, I find that in general, the goal of playing music on a guitar is easier. Everyone is different, but I know a lot of guitar players who feel that they "are where they need to be", they can express almost anything that comes to their mind on the instrument. On the flip, all the best drummers I know have adopted the "I will never be done learning" attitude and resign to the fact that there's just too much, specifically in drums to fully call them self a master.

So I think after a year of strict instruction and tons of practice, the guitar players will be further along in the goal of expressing whatever they want musically. The (good) drummers will just be coming to the realization that they suck, because they have developed their understanding and ears.

Frankly, I study drums in part due to the fact that I find it difficult. And before I started playing, I thought it must be easy to play the drums. After hitting my first skin, and realizing that even one stroke takes work/understanding to make it sound good, let alone the coordination between limbs and mind, I was hooked very quickly. It took years before I learned how many subtleties go into this type of percussion, and how deep the rabbit hole could be. It's not about memorizing/executing chords or scales, it's a different way to understand music.

That said, this is a stupid question. Music is creative art, and as such, subjective. Art can be as deep or shallow as you make it. I know plenty of amazing musicians who couldn't play the drums to save their grandmother.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 AM

I'd say it depends on the person as well. I've know people who can play awesome on guitar and couldn't play drums for their life and vice versa. I think there's neurological facts involved too. It took me a lonngg time to get where I am on the drums. Anyone can bang on drums, anyone can learn 4 chords. Hardest part of being a drummer is keeping time honestly. It ain't about all the rolls and whether you're playing whole notes or damn 32nd notes lmao! Depends on genre as well. You just trying to be rhythmic power drummer or are you trying to be dynamic? I think like one other gentleman said and from my experience in jazz, drums can be VERY difficult to gain past a certain point, not only timing.....but dynamics WITH the timing. It's one thing to play a beat.....its another thing to be a metronome. I've seen drummers who are very dynamic but can't keep time worth crap. I've seen basic drummers who can keep time like a clock but that's about all. But doing both....is another chapter. Guitar has it's difficulties as well. It's not just plucking and banging and timing either. It's experience and what you learn about music and theory. Drums are harder in some ways and easier in others really. Being an actual "dynamic drummer" i think might be more difficult actually, not to be bias. Only because I've met more dynamic and broader capable guitarists and most drummers I know are limited, usually to a genre, but can't adapt worth crap to others. You have to learn what syncs with what at any time in any song, not just "keep a beat". The levels of aggressiveness or gentleness and it's learning a mood to put yourself into for that genre and song. Reading other musicians vibes...to know when to do it and what to do.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Gold Member

Guitar is far more technically challenging than drums.

Hey, I'm a drummer, but I guess I'm the one in the 'drummers union' here who is stood at the back saying "ahem....guys....are we sure about this...."

If you get my drift.