DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM

Default Cymbal recommendations?!

Hey all, I'm looking to upgrade my cymbal setup and I've gathered what I want from my cymbals, although I'm not exactly sure what's out there. I really like 'brilliant' crisp cymbals that have long sustain but have a keen dislike for dry cymbals. I've had my eyes on the Zildjian K Custom Hybrids, the Paiste Signature and Dark Energies and also some Meinl Byzances.

Could anybody recommend some cymbal lines? Are the one's I mentioned suitable???

So many questions!!

Gah!!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cymbal recommendations?!

Sounds like Sabian AA's, Paiste 2002, Zildjian A's should be added to your list to check out too. There are so many good cymbals out there, you just have to check them out. Check out what your favorite players are using - that's how I started. I wouldn't have checked out the Zildjian Ping Ride if I never saw that old Steve Smith ad when he was playing for Journey and he talked about how his Ping Ride is his favorite cymbal.

Likewise, when I heard Peter Erskine play with the Jaco Pastorius big band using a Zildjian K ride (it just said 'ride' on it), I had to check that one out 'cause he got a great sound out of it. That's how the process started for me. Joe Morello using Paiste 602's had me checking out the 2002's (the 602s were discontinued when I started playing - but they're back now). Steve Gadd on New Beat hi-hats....the list goes on and on.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 PM

I'd suggest checking out Sabians too. The options they have available are endless and they sound fantastic, IMO. Zildjian and Paiste are great choices too, and I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those, but you should definetly play on some different ones before you fork over the cash so you KNOW you'll be satisfied with your purchase.

I have to admit, I'm a bit jealous that you are upgrading your cymbal setup. I can't wait until I get a little more money saved up and I can do the same! Goodluck.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

if you like brilliant cymbals check out danny carey's paiste setup (look him up on wikipedia). he is a big lover of brilliant cymbals.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Do go and play them somewhere as well, I tried 3 "identical" sets of cymbals next to each other and each "identical pair" sound totally different to each, personally it's something I'll never buy over the internet ................................................. again :-)
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 PM

I have the K Custom Hybrid Ride and absolutely LOVE IT. I went to PASIC 3 years ago and hit every ride in production at the time from the big 3 and this was the best sounding to me. The crashes in this line are a bit too dark for me. I have a set of A Customs (brilliant as they all are) in 15/16/17 and get a great fast response, but the sustain isn't very long. Worth a look, anyway.