DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Why aren't there any Keith Moon type drummers today ?

I have to say I detest Mitch Mitchell and think he single-handedly ruined most of Hendrix's finest recordings.

Then I saw a video of him. And whilst I think he overplayed horribly, he was such a force of nature I started to see him differently. Maybe he was exactly what was needed at that time. A straight pro drummer would have made sure that Hendrix took the limelight and made sure Hendrix looked / sounded his best. Maybe Mitch just thought - I'm gonna take a risk and went for it.

Could you imagine having Moon in your band? It would be a nightmare. Total nightmare. As for drumming he had a unique style.

Bonham is revered but to watch him play is an education. He is all over the place and plays very inefficiently.

I'm speculating horribly but I'm guessing that none of these drummers were professionally taught. They look like they just started out with some basic ideas in their heads and went for it. They didn't worry about any form of convention they just followed their desires/sounds in their heads.

So we are only likely to find similar drummers these days from remote parts of the world with no internet access and no tuition. That's my view.

Davo
Old 10-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNA View Post
Also I don't think a band or record company would put up with a drummer like that nowadays, the other band members would get pissed off, the record company would say that would never sell.
Right on the nose. The record company would probably scrape a Moonie-style drummer off on the studio doorframe these days. "We'll sign you for a three-record deal on one condition... replace your crazy drummer."
Old 10-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Quite simple there was & only will be one Keith Moon.

Bonzolead
and only one "The Who"
Old 10-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Destroy1
This message has been deleted by Destroy1.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-London View Post
I have to say I detest Mitch Mitchell and think he single-handedly ruined most of Hendrix's finest recordings.

Then I saw a video of him. And whilst I think he overplayed horribly, he was such a force of nature I started to see him differently. Maybe he was exactly what was needed at that time. A straight pro drummer would have made sure that Hendrix took the limelight and made sure Hendrix looked / sounded his best. Maybe Mitch just thought - I'm gonna take a risk and went for it.

Could you imagine having Moon in your band? It would be a nightmare. Total nightmare. As for drumming he had a unique style.

Bonham is revered but to watch him play is an education. He is all over the place and plays very inefficiently.

I'm speculating horribly but I'm guessing that none of these drummers were professionally taught. They look like they just started out with some basic ideas in their heads and went for it. They didn't worry about any form of convention they just followed their desires/sounds in their heads.

So we are only likely to find similar drummers these days from remote parts of the world with no internet access and no tuition. That's my view.

Davo
Well, I guess that's as good a reason to avoid professional teaching as I've ever heard!!

Glad to say I'm from a remote part of the world too.

;-)