DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Default Why aren't there any Keith Moon type drummers today ?

how come there are no drummers who play like Keith Moon of the Who... like playing with no hihats or unpredictable shuffles or chops...stuff like that??....".overdrumming".... could be another word.

or are there any??

just wondering :)
Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why aren't there any Keith Moon type drummers today ?

Because we have prozac.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

Professionalism has reared its ugly head since those days. Everyone is so busy giving the client what he wants and being reliable and all that.... I think Keith was just financial independent, so it allowed him to be who he was.

Sort of a different era then, I think. John Bonham made no bones about it that he would do whatever he had to do to make ends meet, hence all the construction work he's done. Keith probably would've done the same if the Who hadn't hit big. These days I know we all do whatever we have to do, but it's concealed more because our eyes are more focused on the drumming-as-career thing. So we're more willing to assimilate into the professional culture in hopes of getting to play the drums for a living. Keith really was one-of-a-kind in this respect.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quite simple there was & only will be one Keith Moon.

Bonzolead
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

I've actually often wondered about this, given I'm a huge fan of The Who.

There are numerous drummers who "over play" but most of them do it from a technical stand point, where as Keith did it from an emotional standpoint.

But I think it's not just a question of Moon, but having a band where one could get away with such playing. Pete and Rodger really got off on Keith's lunacy, and John really held down the band while Kieth was doing his thing. Not a lot of song writers and vocalists can hang with someone doing what Keith did, and not a lot of bass players are willing to deal with a drummer who's not doing much time keeping.

Bill Ward from Sabbath was similar in his approach, although Bill was trying to apply jazz concepts, while Keith didn't. But even over the years with Ozzy's bands, and the different guys who've been in Sabbath, that wild style didn't follow though.

I also think advances in technology and changes in sound played a small role. In the 60's and 70's, the drums weren't as up front in the mix, so a long roll around the toms sort of blended in. In the 80's, drum sounds got bigger, with huge kick and snare drum sounds. If you play a Keith Moon like roll with such a mix, the drums would kill the track.

A bigger reason is the drum machine, click tracks, and the mentality that a drummer should be more perfect. Be it consciously or subconsciously, people expect drummers to be more perfect these days compared to the 60's, and that's not what Keith was about. Although ironically, he was one of the 1st, if not THE first drummer to play to sequencers live on stage. He could follow a click better than many people give him credit for.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Professionalism has reared its ugly head since those days. Everyone is so busy giving the client what he wants and being reliable and all that.... I think Keith was just financial independent, so it allowed him to be who he was.

Sort of a different era then, I think. John Bonham made no bones about it that he would do whatever he had to do to make ends meet, hence all the construction work he's done. Keith probably would've done the same if the Who hadn't hit big. These days I know we all do whatever we have to do, but it's concealed more because our eyes are more focused on the drumming-as-career thing. So we're more willing to assimilate into the professional culture in hopes of getting to play the drums for a living. Keith really was one-of-a-kind in this respect.
Keith wasn't financially independent. Quite the opposite. He just didn't care.
He spent money as quickly as he could earn it. The Who also signed really bad management deals in their youth, so they didn't make as much money as other bands of similar stature during the 60's. For all their success, The Who often struggled with money issues, especially Keith and John.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Keith wasn't financially independent. Quite the opposite. He just didn't care.
He spent money as quickly as he could earn it. The Who also signed really bad management deals in their youth, so they didn't make as much money as other bands of similar stature during the 60's. For all their success, The Who often struggled with money issues, especially Keith and John.
Even so, I wish I could act like that. I bet we'd have alot less high blood pressure and stress cases in the world if there were a bit more Keith Moon in everybody, eh?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:19 AM
Platinum Member

A lot of us who are old enough witnessed music lose it's feel when Disco became wildly popular around 1977-78. Drummers were put into a creative straight-jacket.
It changed the scene forever for us and that's before drum machines became the norm.

Music had life and energy back then and it breathed. It pushed and pulled in a magical interaction between the musicians. Maybe someday we'll get back to popular music that isn't machine perfect but musical.

As far as Keith goes...well, he was very unique.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
how come there are no drummers who play like Keith Moon of the Who... like playing with no hihats or unpredictable shuffles or chops...stuff like that??....".overdrumming".... could be another word.

or are there any??

There are tons of them.

Unfortunately, very little music calls for it.

Even back in Keith's time, The Who was the only commercial band where that worked. And he still had a great respect for 2 & 4, there was just a lot of extra stuff surrounding it!

Bermuda
Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Not a lot of song writers and vocalists can hang with someone doing what Keith did, and not a lot of bass players are willing to deal with a drummer who's not doing much time keeping.

true....the intersting thing is when Roger and John released their solo works, the session drummers were not allowed to do what Keith did!...
I think it was THE WHO thing.....
Old 10-20-2010, 03:43 AM
Gold Member

*Ahem*

Who said they're not around any more? I'm sure there's someone out there who can drum like he can.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:44 AM
DSCRAPRE

I try to get a little bit of a Keith Moon thing going when I play sometimes. It usually sounds like crap, but on occasion, all the extra accents and fills can bring a song to another level. I wish that was more common these days, too bad.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Good thoughts all round.

I think you need a small band to do what Keith did. If there are any more than 3 or 4 musicians in the group and you'd need half the band laying right out ... and the drums would need to be further back in the mix, as said before.

Agree that there's no one like Moonie. Some think that's a pity, some think it's just as well ...
Old 10-20-2010, 05:44 AM

I'll say a sweeping statement here totally left field but the closest I hear to Moon these days and from years ago is Lars from Metallica

He does the most obscure fills, get him to play a straight 4/4 and he just can't help himself throwing in a cymbal to phrase the snare here, he die in a coma if you made him play Billie Jean........

it's this fght to be heard out front I reckon, they see or saw themselves as almost frontmen..........

Didn't Townsend say he followed Entwhistle for the rhythm, if he followed Moon he couldn't play it right
Old 10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Silver Member

There are guitarists and Bassists with minds/attitudes like Pete and Roger somewhere in the world ,..... they should be united and audition for a drummer!!

just a wild thought!
Old 10-20-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
true....the intersting thing is when Roger and John released their solo works, the session drummers were not allowed to do what Keith did!...
I'm currently working on learning "Under a Raging Moon" by Roger Daltrey. I haven't seen any videos of anyone completing the entire solo in the middle and that "live" performance of Roger in the club with the drummer "drum-syncing" to the original track just does... not... count.

I agree with others here that have said that it takes a special band to have the individual independence to allow a musician to just do their own thing like that.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

I would have to say, at least in recent memory (my recent memory), The Mars Volta when they had Thomas Pridgen.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Music has evolved since the 60's & 70's. Now days if you want to have a job you play 2 & 4. I have almost NEVER been hired by a band and been told to "play more"... Only once or twice.
YouTube
Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

My opinion maybe people just got wise - personally I think it was overkill.

There are still drummers out there who do totally in your face insane fills like Aaron Spears but it's just not constant which I think is a good thing.
Imagine a guitarist or bass player constantly playing it like Keith did the drums you'd pretty soon get bored of it and I certainly wouldn't think it was musical.
Don't get me wrong there were moments of sheer genius and absolutely brilliant drumming but sometimes the relentlessness I find way OTT almost to the extent it makes you ask if he needed to do that much was he actually that good or just thrashing - Just a different viewpoint.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
My opinion maybe people just got wise - personally I think it was overkill.

There are still drummers out there who do totally in your face insane fills like Aaron Spears but it's just not constant which I think is a good thing.
Imagine a guitarist or bass player constantly playing it like Keith did the drums you'd pretty soon get bored of it and I certainly wouldn't think it was musical.
Don't get me wrong there were moments of sheer genius and absolutely brilliant drumming but sometimes the relentlessness I find way OTT almost to the extent it makes you ask if he needed to do that much was he actually that good or just thrashing - Just a different viewpoint.
Good point. If you think about it, that's kind of why punk got a foot hold. People just got tired of extended guitar and drum and etc. solos. Keith was great for what he did. Everyone wanting to do what Keith did; not so much.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Keith played like that because he was playing lead drums,

the same way Entwhistle was playing lead bass and Townsend the lead guitar and Daltrey as lead singer-

Simple 2 and 4 drumming wasnt what the Who needed.

As much I admired him- someone previously said they wished there was more Keith in all of us- well unfortunately he died before 40 suffocated by his own vomit-

I think I'll keep my own life thanks
Old 10-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Rebel

The question is who will be the next: Keith Moon, John Bonham, Cozy Powell, Clive Burr (on sick leave). So far, Ian Paice and Bill Ward are still alive. Thank Heavens!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:

or are there any??

There are - we just don't get any gigs nowadays (wa wa wa waaaaa) - mostly because it's already been done.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And even when Keith died, they replaced him with someone who was the complete opposite in style in The Who.

The other tid bit was before Moon died, Pete planned on only bare minimal touring for the Who Are You album, and at the point, it had been years since The Who had done anything.

After Moon died, Pete decided to launch a full scale tour.

So it sort of seemed like their was an initial level of relief to not have to tour with the barrage of drum rolls.

Although Pete ended up so depressed over Keith's death, he himself developed a bad drug habit. And as the tours went on, Rodger would eventually become irritated over Kenny Jones' lack of Keith Moon style, and Rodger and Kenny end up in a war of words in the press over the way Kenny played, and to this day Kenny isn't fond of discussing his time with the band. Kenny was never fired though, he was simply just not invited to the reunion tours.

Although as cheesy as it is, I sort of feel bad for Kenny, as I discovered The Who as a youngster during Kenny's tenure with the band. I didn't discover Keith until a bit later on. It wasn't Kenny's fault he did what he did, after all, the band sought him out and gave him the gig based on their long term friendship (and Kenny had some some behind the scenes work with The Who in the past). So it's not like Rodger, Pete and John didn't know what they were getting when they named Kenny the guy.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
Keith played like that because he was playing lead drums, the same way Entwhistle was playing lead bass and Townsend the lead guitar and Daltrey as lead singer.
Exactly. That was the sound. There's no way you could have put a band like that together on purpose. The Who were one of the truly great rock bands, one of those freaks of nature that used to come along back then.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyIDWTOl17w

closest WHO I could find!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
That was pretty entertaining.... I'D go see them!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member

Poor Simon had one hell of an uphill climb to fill Moonie's shoes. Actually, IMO, he did a great job, but, how such a finesse rock groove machine as Phillips came to be chosen for that gig, I'll never know!
Old 10-21-2010, 04:29 PM

IMHO I feel Starsky is doing a pretty job of it at the moment-

However- they will never ever ever replace Entwhistle
Old 10-21-2010, 04:42 PM
DSCRAPRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post
IMHO I feel Starsky is doing a pretty job of it at the moment-

However- they will never ever ever replace Entwhistle
Ya know that you lost someone good when you needed to get a bass player and a rhythm guitarist just to fill his place.

Last edited by DSCRAPRE; 10-21-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Grammatical Wankery
Old 10-21-2010, 05:10 PM

Ditto on Entwhistle.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'd fork out some scrill to see that.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingStone000 View Post
I'd fork out some scrill to see that.
Youtube...type in drummerwronggig
Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 PM

Here are some recent recordings that I think have very inspired, and slightly out of context drum parts.
Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium - The album is great and full of flurries from Jon Theodore
Mars Volta - Bedlam in Goliath - Thomas Pridgen takes what Jon Theodore was doing and multiplies it three fold.
Damiera - M(us)ic - A much unknown gem of an album from drummer Brad McRae that mixes spiraling guitars in odd meters with a heavy pop feel.
The Sound of Animals Fighting - Rather heavy and punkish, but this drummer (don't know the name) really puts a lot of stuff into his playing. For metal like sections he trades between his floor tom and bass drum and gets a heavy thumping feel.

On the other hand, Keith Moon was one of a kind and has inspired many and anyone that tried to replicate that would fail as a professional because it's already been done.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

or are there any??

Brann Dailor of Mastodon is the 1st person to come to mind... and yea, Thomas Pridgen... But Dailor can't go 2 bars without a fill/flourish (i'm not complaining/knocking).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXgDK1QkjaE
Old 10-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6hz_k4xua0

You can tell which TMV albums are superior, because they have Theodore on them.
Such a solid drummer.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
The question is who will be the next: Keith Moon, John Bonham, Cozy Powell, Clive Burr (on sick leave). So far, Ian Paice and Bill Ward are still alive. Thank Heavens!
lets not forget about Carl Palmer that guy sounds better on a snare then most drummers sound on a whole kit.

Bonzolead
Old 10-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Platinum Member

one of my favorite moonie stories is when he drove a Rolls Royce into the swimming pool @ the Holiday Inn in Flint on his 21st birthday I believe......needless to say he was banned for life LOL.

Bonzolead
Old 10-24-2010, 11:47 AM

I think it has to do with a combination of how you learned drums and the industry. Most of us get taught to play a certain way, and stay with the beat, or even if you didn't have lessons you learn from listening to other drummers who are i guess more conservative in their drumming. Also I don't think a band or record company would put up with a drummer like that nowadays, the other band members would get pissed off, the record company would say that would never sell. It's also just hard to get a band to play in a way that allows the drummer to drum that way and still make the song good. I think it was sort of the right guy, in the right situation thing. I'm sure there are bands today with similar drummers, I just don't know of any.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Quite simple there was & only will be one Keith Moon.
Bonzolead
That's the answer, right there. Never be another Bonham, Rich, Mitchell or Ringo, either.