Conservitorium study or gap year first?

gusty

Platinum Member
I really have to think about what I want to do next year, whether I go straight to the conservatorium in my closest city or take a gap year and apply the year after (and if i could I would like to apply this year, to see if I could get in). My reason for considering a gap year is because my girlfriend of two and a half years is pretty keen on taking one and staying in my town, then studying in the city the year after. Before you say anything like, 'don't do that just for a girl,'...I dunno, just don't bother, I won't respond to it. I plan to practice and work, maybe travel, but mainly practice during the gap year.

A few things...
Has anyone been in a position like this?
Does not taking a position at the con badly hurt my chances for the year after?
What would you do if you were in my situation? (hard to answer, but give it a go)

Just any response would be great, thanks.

If I were in your situation I would go to the conservatory. Don't let the girlfriend affect your decision.

I deferred from an arts degree and didn't end up going, my life got sidetracked by a girl and I landed up working to make ends meet. I have got a lot of maturity and life experience and it certainly helped transform me from a school student into a young adult but I look at friends now who are finishing uni and I wish I had those qualifications but I'm tied up in expenses so the opportunity to study keeps creeping further and further away from me.

If you're looking for a point there isn't really one, there are both pros and cons, just know a high statistic of deferrals don't go but if you think you will still want that kind of education in a years time, by all means, earn some money, take an overseas holiday or something, you don't get those opportunities as a student, just know that at that age life changes drastically in the space of a year

If you're looking for a point there isn't really one, there are both pros and cons, just know a high statistic of deferrals don't go but if you think you will still want that kind of education in a years time, by all means, earn some money, take an overseas holiday or something, you don't get those opportunities as a student, just know that at that age life changes drastically in the space of a year

I know you can never be certain but I'm convinced I'll still want this after a year. I've wanted to go to this uni for over 3 years now, doesn't sound like much but I've only been drumming for
a bit over 6 years.

I know you can never be certain but I'm convinced I'll still want this after a year. I've wanted to go to this uni for over 3 years now, doesn't sound like much but I've only been drumming for
a bit over 6 years.

And you're ready to put it off when you've already been waiting three years? I don't know, it's not the place of people on the internet to make potentially life changing decisions for you, just know that I broke up with the girl I left schooling for, the first two years were idyllic and I still can't fault them, the third year she changed, became self centred and the relationship stopped working. It was gradual, it took me a long time to realise it and eventually it was her that left me for someone else, she got bored and I couldn't give her enough. Not all relationships end like mine did but in hindsight, while I had two of the best years of my life, all I've got to show for it is experience and I might not accomplish my dreams now.

And you're ready to put it off when you've already been waiting three years? I don't know, it's not the place of people on the internet to make potentially life changing decisions for you, just know that I broke up with the girl I left schooling for, the first two years were idyllic and I still can't fault them, the third year she changed, became self centred and the relationship stopped working. It was gradual, it took me a long time to realise it and eventually it was her that left me for someone else, she got bored and I couldn't give her enough. Not all relationships end like mine did but in hindsight, while I had two of the best years of my life, all I've got to show for it is experience and I might not accomplish my dreams now.

Yeah, I am. From my point of view, my first year of uni just wouldn't be all that fun visiting the town every 2 or 3 weeks. But either way, that's not the main point, I just want some suggestions and examples of what can happen by putting it off by a year, whether it affects your chance of getting in etc.

Yeah, I am. From my point of view, my first year of uni just wouldn't be all that fun visiting the town every 2 or 3 weeks. But either way, that's not the main point, I just want some suggestions and examples of what can happen by putting it off by a year, whether it affects your chance of getting in etc.

I think if they will take you, they will still take you a year later, but then again, you might be up against tougher competition next year for a limited amount of places, without knowing the university I can't say. Just know that from personal experience, a lot can change in a year, you might not find you can go a year down the track.

Back