DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Teaching drums to a 4 year old

Well at 4 years old everything is backwards.You cant tell him he will get all the chicks because he is well aware that all girls have koodies...so that wont work.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageludwigs View Post
All excellent advice here!

Someone mentioned earlier that very young kids need parental supervision while practicing, and I think this is very important. As such, I always make sure the parents are aware of the material I assign for practice. Teenagers and adults can direct themselves while practicing; parents need to motivate and keep track of what young kids do while they practice.
That is so true.

Up to a certain age children are 100% dependent on the parent/parents.They will look to them exclusively to know what to do.That is where society comes into play.Its not very common to see a five year old covering Rush tunes on youtube in the U.S.A.,but its very common to see a Chinese five year old covering Beethoven.One society is going to support but not crowd the child,where the other is going to go as far as taking a second job to make sure the child never sees anything but teachers for the instrument.Its the culture clash.One society wants the child to find its own way,and be supportive no matter what...where the other sees shame in such indecision.

So the approach to the young student,is really dependent on the parents.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:02 AM

I get calls from parents, all of the time, with 3-5 year olds. I once had a very young student and HAD to teach him because I was working at a music store. He never even went to school yet, but here I was , trying to teach him drums. He couldn't focus. He liked to look up at the ceiling while I as talking to him.

Now when I get these calls, I tell the parents to call me back after their kid learns to sit down and listen in school. In other words, they need to be at least 6 years old......unless they are extraordinary.

Dan
Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 AM

I recommend 15 minute lessons for 3-6 year olds. This suits their attention span.

Reward stickers / stamps go a long way too, children love them.

Turn everything into a game with rewards and positive reinforcement, and you really can't go wrong.

Drumkit is a great instrument for children of this age. All you have to do to get a good tone out of a drum is hit it with a stick - it sounds great right away, unlike guitar, violin etc.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:51 AM

I started teaching my son at about age 4. The number one goal was to make sure he had fun, whatever we did. However, I have some rules for him as well as all my students.

Rule #1 - When we play drums (real drums that are loud) we use ear muffs. No ear protection... No play drums!!!

Rule #2 - Put your thumbs on the flag!
Every Vic Firth drum stick has a flag on it. If you put your Thumb on the flag while holding the sticks you are very close to the perfect hand position. My son got so used to this, he would correct other drummers if they weren't putting there thumb on the flag... to him I guess a rule is a rule!

Rule #3 - Have fun!!!

Rule #4 Count Out Loud

Attached is 2 pdf files I made with drum exercises.
I originally made these for my son. However, every kid who comes over to play can sit down at the drums and do these exercises the first time. This is just the first 2 sheets.
So, I hope you like it... I hope this will help... Let me know.
Feel free to ask any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 8th Note Beats Page 1.pdf (270.3 KB, 362 views)
File Type: pdf 8th Note Beats Page 2.pdf (392.4 KB, 280 views)
Old 04-16-2013, 03:57 PM

nice one g7jon!

will be using them with a 5 year old!..

cheers from Aruba!..
Old 04-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g7jon View Post
I started teaching my son at about age 4. The number one goal was to make sure he had fun, whatever we did. However, I have some rules for him as well as all my students.

Rule #1 - When we play drums (real drums that are loud) we use ear muffs. No ear protection... No play drums!!!

Every Vic Firth drum stick has a flag on it. If you put your Thumb on the flag while holding the sticks you are very close to the perfect hand position. My son got so used to this, he would correct other drummers if they weren't putting there thumb on the flag... to him I guess a rule is a rule!

Rule #3 - Have fun!!!

Rule #4 Count Out Loud

I originally made these for my son. However, every kid who comes over to play can sit down at the drums and do these exercises the first time. This is just the first 2 sheets.

Some good stuff G7Jon
Old 04-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g7jon View Post

Rule #3 - Have fun!!!

Rule #4 Count Out Loud

g7jon,

My five year old loves the two exercises you posted. I set up a music stand right in front of his kit and those are the first things he practices before he goes into his regular routine. Would you mind posting some more? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:16 PM

Thanks Man,
Here are 2 more PDF's
Feel free to keep asking for more.
I don't want to just post everything at once.
I don't want anyone to bash what I'm doing either...
I've taken a lot of thought to do this thing.
It's helped me and my hope is it will help others as well.

Take Care,
Jon
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 8th Note Beats Page 4.pdf (385.5 KB, 257 views)
File Type: pdf 8th Note Beats Page 3-1.pdf (220.9 KB, 248 views)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

There's a lot you can do beyond hitting things. Can s/he distinguish higher notes from lower? Loud from quiet? Can s/he play quietly/loudly? Which drum is his/her favourite, and why? How many different sounds can s/he make on one single drum (doesn't have to use sticks, or hit the head ...)? Can s/he play a happy sound? A sad one? A colour? A picture? Can s/he play her name? A simple phrase ("Fish and chips")? A more complicated one ("I like fish and chips")?

And most importantly, can you have front row seats at the O2 when she plays there??
Old 04-21-2013, 11:32 PM

Thanks Jon, I really appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:18 AM
"Uncle Larry"

That's really great stuff there. I wish everything were that easy.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 AM

Pertaining to my Picture Exercises...
Once they can do a beat "As Written" I would also asking them to substitute the Cymbal (which in my exercise it looks like a HiHat, and I tell them it's the HiHat) for the Ride Cymbal. and then do that same for the floor tom.
It's funny cause when I tell them to do that, there eyes get super big... they may struggle for a minute but eventually get it. I also ask them to do all beats with right hand on floor tom. To me, this is the beginning of how we as drummer can start to be creative, using different drums as colors for our grooves and I explain that to them.
As my drum teacher, Chuck Flores, would write out example for me, He would tell me we always start learn something new, "As Written"... Then, we can start to add different syncopated ideas to make the "As Written" part more interesting, creative, etc...
I'm not going to get carried away with everything we can do with these beats, however I have students start to learn these beats the following ways:
1. As Written (Right Hand on HiHat)
2. Right Hand on Ride
3. Right Hand on Floor Tom
4. Left Hand on HiHat (playing open Handed)
Left hand playing 8ths on the HiHat and Right Hand on 2 and 4, snare.
Number 4 doesn't work well for every student, but I think it's good to have them try it.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:53 AM

This is great stuff g7jon. Writing those out visually is brilliant. Never seen that before. I know that visual explanations like this will work much better than anything else I've seen, at least for my son. I'm going to use those with him. Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:52 AM
Silver Member

I had a 3 year old come in today for a piano lesson. wouldnt touch the keyboard. picks up sticks, held them properly and played the kit without moving his arms except to reach the cymbals. Mostly wrist and a little use of his fingers which are tiny. Apparently he had never held sticks before.... I wish my older students had such a natural instinct for technique but i have reservations of teaching someone so young. Was just an odd experience.