DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 PM

Default Re: 10 Best Drum Songs to Learn as a Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
That is different than basically having a student plan their own cirriculum, though. And I also think that, as a very beginner (the OP has had drums for three days and hasn't even had his first lesson yet), this is a very odd question. Seems like the teacher has NO plan at all, though it's possible that it's just a long term plan or something, and we don't know it.
Isn't it funny how some teachers are like this? I used to take guitar lessons with this guy whose style of teaching was letting the student take in a popular song and he'd teach you it. No note reading or anything. I remember taking Message In A Bottle by The Police to him and we worked on that for a little too long. Looking back, I just was not ready for that yet. My fingers could not stretch that far to play it. What I really needed are those spider exercises first. I didn't learn about those until long after I quit lessons with this teacher. The funny thing is he'd tell me about stories of other students working on songs with him for months. So he knew it was a problem. But maybe their point of view is that this is what the student wants? How can that work if they get frustrated like me and quit like I eventually did?
Old 01-20-2010, 12:13 PM

I think some of the songs mentioned are unrealsitic for a 'beginner'.

Rush's Tom Sawyer, for example, has big chunks in 7/8 and double bass drum figures, which if you've just started playing are maybe too ambitious.

I would go back though the eras and listen to some of the major artists/songs from over the last five of six decades of popular music.

Early Elvis, rock and roll, Beatles, Stones, Motown, The Who, Zeppelin, Sex Pistols, disco, Police, AC/DC, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, U2 etc. etc.

Try out songs of different tempos and don't forget shuffle/ swing/ 12/8 grooves.

Get these down and your ready for Tom Sawyer, and a whole exciting world of styles and techniques that lie beyond...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
Working on your left foot with the hats is much more important than double-bass.
I couldn't agree more. I would say that double bass drum isn't so important as working on hi hat and single bass drum. Double can come later if you so desire.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:37 PM

I think it's important to remember that it's not about 100% nailing every song. It's about getting the feel right.

Your favorite song might be easy to play aside from that one crazy fill or for example the fact that it's played with straight (and fast) one handed 16th notes on the hi-hat. If you can't play the fill replace it with one you can and if you can't play straight one handed 16th notes on the hi-hat use 8ths.

Note that I am not saying that you should just remove any part of a song you find difficult. Part of the fun is the challenge. However don't meander on and on forever on the same stupid fill when you could be learning something that's more helpful in the long run.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:44 PM

I've taught a few pupils single stroke, double stroke and paradiddle rudiments. Have hammered them a little with it, making sure they were up to bronze standard on vic firth, and now need to move the lesson on to make the rudiments seem a little more practical and stop them getting bored. Am looking to teach them songs that use the rudiments in em, and have hit a right block, haven't been able to think of anything for two days. Driving me nuts, can anyone set me off on the right track?

Ta, in advance.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Pioneer Member

I would also include some shuffles in those lists. Stevie Ray Vaughn would be a good starting point.

Some 6/8 blues would be good too.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:58 AM

First of all, before you get a double bass drum pedal, you should get a hi hat. I guess you could learn some Beatles, but I would suggest buying basic drumming by Joel Rothman which has everything from basic rock beats to jazz and snare drum. I'm not into learning songs on drums unless you plan on playing jazz.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:46 AM

I'm all rock so this might be a little biased.
1. Seven Nation Army-really easy/ gets you jammin
2. Come Together-gets you to think more with the sounds
3. Come As You Are-easist song by nirvana imo
4. In Bloom-fantastic fills for beginners
5. Man In The Box-helps develop four way independence
6. First Date-works out your hand speed/double stroke on pedal and fills
7. With Arms Wide Open-their drummer changed me completley
8. Don't Look Back In Anger-good for improvising and fills
9. Californication-helps out with the ghost notes and independence between hands
10. Meant To Live-gets you workin with the toms
Old 02-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Wow! Times have changed. The first two songs that my teacher had me learn were:

It never rains in California and Wipeout.

I like the suggestions most of you stated but seriously, some are a little advanced.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:17 PM

I would put a big asterisk next to those recommending playing with the White Stripes. I think "Seven Nation Army" is mostly in time, but a lot of their material has a more, uh, "organic" time feel to it, as opposed to a cleaner studio track. Meg uses this to a very cool effect, but it's not for practicing with, because it's kinda loose. 99% of pop music is recorded with a click these days, so that would be better.

And I'd like to join the chorus of those who say wait on the double bass. It will delay your progress on single pedal and grooving overall.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 AM

AC/DC... Nirvana...

Rush is like trying to buy a $5 million mansion after you graduate high school and youre working at McDonalds... Run for the hills too.

Learn to play then expand!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 AM

I think this song would even get Peter Erskine's chops moving. Mentioned before, but...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdUR51HjSNU

I am almost 49 years old and this song is still something that is most awesome to play...

Sorry, just this is something that you must talk about after you listen to it... and, since it's 8:00 and I'm home with no one to talk to.. Well, you guys are it..!
Old 02-17-2010, 03:39 AM
Rebel

AC/DC ~ Live Wire, Down Payment Blues.

The Cult ~ Love Removal Machine.

Black Sabbath ~ Lady Evil.

Cactus ~ Evil, you must work on this one.

Van Halen - And The Cradle Will Rock.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:42 AM

Hey, try a song like Smoke on the water by deep purple. A standard rock beat which is fun to play. Also AC/DC is fairly easy but really fun to play.

Try these:

Highway to hell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oOtb...eature=related

Back in black - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXaZmY52gHM

Rock and roll train http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lermqfhhJx4
Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 AM

Songs you already know by heart ;-)
Old 02-18-2010, 05:30 AM

Living after midnight.......Judas Priest
Old 02-18-2010, 07:01 AM

I've found that "Watt's local - Royal Crown Revue" is very effective in getting kids into old boring music.

its a swing feel tune by a current band. Kids even think its an old song, so they stop thinking anything old is boring.

get this song.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:09 AM

ive started playing again for the last 4 months after a 20 year hiatus. At this point I can play passably and comfortably

Ah Leah By Donnie Iris
Riders on the storm by the doors
There goes the neighborhood by Sheryl Crow
The Chain, and You Make Loving Fun by Fleetwood Mac
Baba O Reiley By the Who
Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones
BAck In Black by ACDC
Billie Jean by Micheal Jackson
Cocaine by Eric Clapton
Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots

and a few others but I like these songs and they are not that difficult.

Last edited by shadowtick; 02-20-2010 at 07:16 AM. Reason: omited info
Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member

I might have a little different philosophy on this, but I don't see any reason not to go straight to a double pedal if that's what a new drummer really wants. Because what was that larryace said about "burning desire"? You have two limbs hitting every other drum on the kit, so why should the kick be so special?

Speaking of Tom Sawyer, I was already working on that song before I had a kit. Granted there wasn't much of it I could get right, and it took a few years to completely figure it out, but I had pretty well nailed it by the time I left high school. Of course there were a lot of simpler things that I was working on at the same time like learning rudiments and groove and all that, but that song was my Mt. Everest from the word 'go' and I was elated every time I learned a new piece of it. It's okay to set the bar high like that.

And that jazz list? I'd add Take 5 to it. It has such a natural flow, what better way to get into odd time than to not have to get all mental and math-y about it?

I also second the SRV bluesy 6/8 stuff. I'm amazed how lousy I am at that style (probably because I've never liked it!), but you can't escape it. I wish I'd have made friends with it sooner.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Hi Stevie Beginner,

I'm interested to comment on your question as I have tried to do a similar thing, although I was looking for ten or so straightforward songs to play with a band.

Here are some of my suggestion.

1. 'Honky Tonk Woman' by the Rolling Stones. Really simple easy paced groove, with one small simple fill. Played in the pocket, feels really nice though. 'Beast of Burden' is also a good one to start out with, but might be so straightforward in the second half that you doze off!

2. 'Sharp Dressed Man' by ZZ Top. Quicker, but not quick - a classic rock n roller. There are some fills, but short and pretty easy. Long repeated sequences mean that you need to learn how to count your bars.

3. 'Whole Lotta Rosie' by ACDC. Slightly harder than the other two, but still pretty straightforward, and awesome fun to play. Find a decent guitarist, and you will have a ball.

4. For something contemporary, with a trad twist, try the Muse version of 'House of the Rising Sun'. You are sure to know the tune, and this version is loud, fairly straightforward, and again lots of fun to play.

5. I have also enjoyed Deep Purple's 'Smoke on the Water'. Different kind of drum beat on this with 16ths on the hi hat and some pretty challenging fills, but this can be a fun challenge of a song as you start to improve.

These would be my five suggestions. Of course there are loads of others, and remember to stuff that you enjoy.

One thing that helped me greatly with these was using drum tabs. Obviously, it's good to read music, but tabs can be a quick and easy way to get closer to the 'real thing' when learning a new song. Personally, I find it quite hard to 'hear' drum patterns when listening to a song. Tabs have variable accuracy, but like I say, helped me a load.

Enjoy! James
Old 02-21-2010, 05:53 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by legobeast View Post
Hi Stevie Beginner,

One thing that helped me greatly with these was using drum tabs. Obviously, it's good to read music, but tabs can be a quick and easy way to get closer to the 'real thing' when learning a new song. Personally, I find it quite hard to 'hear' drum patterns when listening to a song. Tabs have variable accuracy, but like I say, helped me a load.

Enjoy! James

+1 , I fully agree with this. helped me a lot also and still does
Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM

I'm sure I'm super late to respond to this post, but when I JUST started out drumming I tried covering Metallica's The Day That Never Comes, Run to the Hills and For Whom the Bell Tolls. I practiced those songs for like 2 months straight. The second i thought I was ready I moved on to much more difficult Metallica songs like Blackened, AJFA, Master of Puppets, and a few Black album songs and more. I even started trying out some Slayer songs, on their South of Heaven album, so they weren't the fastest Slayer songs, but they still kick you ass.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 AM

(This is not in order)
The whos Who are You
u2 sunday bloody sunday or bullet the blue sky
The Ramones (any songs)
Sex Pistols (any songs)
Flaming Lips Free Radicals
Led Zeppelin When The Levee Breaks or Moby Dick
Oasis Live Forever
White Stripes 7 nation army
Dead Weather Die By The Drop
Nirvana (any songs off of the Nevermind album)
Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 AM
Jennygirl

Hi.

I'm still beginning but... some of my very firsties were...

Yellow - Coldplay
In a Place - Coldplay
Nothing else matters - Metallica
Come Together - Beatles
Old 10-13-2010, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

i'm still new too, my firsts were:

Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynrd
Today - Smashing Pumpkins
Heart-Shaped Box - Nirvana
Old 10-13-2010, 07:29 PM

Last year, my 6 year old played 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes at his school talent show. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkVUQHp9Q0w

He has learned a few other covers that are really cool songs and not too hard at the same time.

Holiday by Green Day
For Whom The Bell Tolls by Metallica
Enter Sandman by Metallica
1901 by Phoenix
Starlight by Muse
Brick House by The Commodores
Yellow by Coldplay

A few or those songs aren't totally beginner but they are not all that hard either. What we have done is pick an easy song like Yellow from Coldplay and go search for that drum cover on You Tube. Chances are that if you have found a decent cover of that song (beginner) that same person will likely have a bunch more pretty easy covers that they did when they began. YouTube is filled with wannabe's and there is tons of horrible drumming but there is an endless amount of great stuff to learn from as well.

This guy is farily new to drumming and has a bunch of pretty easy songs. I am not saying he's perfect but a pretty good place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ecamposdrum

This kid is pretty good too: http://www.youtube.com/user/Drummer0992

One of my favorites is Martin Periard. He doesn't have much that is easy but if you are a visual learner like I am, most of his stuff is amazing: http://www.youtube.com/user/MartinPeriard2009
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Pioneer Member

So you say you like all types of music. Why don't YOU pick out your favorite 10 songs and give them to your teacher. No one here knows what bands and songs you prefer. There is no right or wrong answer for you to give your teacher.(Though if you are thinking Rush and Dream Theater that might be a bit of a stretch as a beginner)

I'd make a list of song for him that you are VERY familiar with and love listening to.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:26 AM

I am also a beginner drummer. My teacher is teaching me some songs that I think are great for beginners! They are:
Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Dive - Nirvana
Heart Shaped Box - Nirvana
Highway to Hell - AC/DC

Hope this helps!
Old 10-15-2010, 11:54 AM

I am also taking drum lessons and the first song I played is Addicted by Simple Plan. The other songs I use to play are my favorite like Here Without You - 3 Doors Down, He's Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon, Everything - Lifehouse.

Last edited by psylocke24; 10-16-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Here's five more to add to your list:

You're All I Have - Snow Patrol (1/4 Note)
It's Beginning To Get To Me - Snow Patrol (1/4 Note)
Fight For Your Right - Beastie Boys (1/4 Note)
Another One Bites The Dust - Queen (1/8 Note)
Turn - Travis (1/8 Note)

DN
Old 10-15-2010, 09:29 PM

My first few songs were...

Rage Against The Machine - Down Rodeo
Spoon - Don't Make Me a Target
Collective Soul - Shine
Old 10-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Silver Member

The first song that I learned to play was "Warning" by Green Day.

I think that many here forgot what it's like when you're first approaching a drumset... You have no speed, no tempo and no coordination whatsoever.. About Tom Sawyer.. C'mon, get serious. And a lot of songs from bands like Nirvana or The Ramones, yeah, they're simple, but too may of them are just too fast for a begginer (well, at least for me they were)!!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the term "begginer" here, but I think that with just a couple of months taking lessons there is no way you can nail Smells Like Teen Spirit. If by begginer you mean a year or so taking lessons, well yeah, sure you can.

Anyway, my reccomendations are: Warning, Macy's Day Parade, Pulling Teeth, from Green Day. Just simple, steady solid beats with almost no fills, really fun to play and perfect for developing your tempo.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:42 PM

like most of the guys on here have said - AC/DC all the way. I started on AC/DC
Phil Rudd is the perfect teacher.
i love playing their songs, you really feel the rhythem and flow.
try these songs: Nervous Shakedown, Ballbreaker, Rock and roll damnation, Rocker, Big Balls (some say its a dumb song, but its fun to play to)...

Ramones is pretty straight forwards but requires alot of staminer to play because most of their songs are real fast
Old 11-18-2010, 06:02 PM

I played along to a lot of Tom Petty stuff when I was getting going. If you get the anthology best of, there are loads of pretty simple fun grooves to play.

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going!"

Old 11-18-2010, 06:15 PM

As some people have said, its all about what songs YOU want to do. So you should probably pick some favoured tunes of your own or something. Although I totally get that your asking for some help on different songs.

My first songs I properly learned were...
Hallowed Be Thy Name-Iron Maiden
The Trooper-Iron Maiden
Phantom Of The Opera-Iron Maiden
Critical Acclaim-Avenged Sevenfold

I'm obviously a big maiden fan so I just had to learn some songs by them!

So choose some songs you really like!
Old 11-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Quick noob question... How do you guys get to play all these songs? Do you play along to the complete songs drumming on top of the song's drum, or do you have to buy special play along DVDs or CDs with the drums removed?
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 PM

Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit- why is this always put forward in these things?

Its not an easy song- Grohl plays an adapted Bugaloo- as far as I'm aware.

Not exactly 4/4 money beat groove basics is it.

PLus Tom Sawyer? Really- no wonder so many crap sets end up on Craigslist after being hit for 1 week!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 02:55 AM

12:51 by the strokes and Island in the sun by weezer very simple beats and no really big changes in the songs.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldo_psf View Post
Quick noob question... How do you guys get to play all these songs? Do you play along to the complete songs drumming on top of the song's drum, or do you have to buy special play along DVDs or CDs with the drums removed?
When you're starting out, it's nice to play along with the drums on the track. Try to listen closely and make sure that you're lining up well with them. There are some play along things out there (for example, http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68899), but I definitely wouldn't choose songs to learn based on whether or not you can find drumless tracks. The most useful way to use drumless tracks is to record yourself over them. Then again, it's also useful to record yourself over normal tracks.

As far as actually hearing the songs while playing, I used to just crank my boombox, but now I put in earbuds under these: http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...set?sku=443953.

Back to the original topic: I always find that working on songs I really like is the most motivating and fun, as others have implied. You can use the songs posted here as a guide (I started out with the Beatles, pop-punk, and 90's rock), but you should pick ones that you like. Later on you can pick songs that have a technique you want to learn, but at the beginning I'd say it's most important to just learn a lot of songs and spend a lot of time behind the kit. That way, you can start feeling what it's like to be a drummer and start to see how we do things.

Good luck!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:24 PM

I started to compile a list of the easiest songs to play drums along too on my website's blog. I came up with a list for easy songs to drum to that were released in 2000 as well as a list for 2001 with the intention of adding the next year whenever I got the time.

Some songs are a lot easier than others and beginners can be playing at very different levels to each other but here is the list I did for 2000...

* It's My Life - Bon Jovi
* The Cedar Room - Doves
* Good Fortune - PJ Harvey
* Trouble - Coldplay
* The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret - Queens Of The Stone Age
* Coming Around - Travis
* Catch The Sun - Doves
* Mr. E's Beautiful Blues - Eels
* With Arms Wide Open - Creed
* The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang
* Natural Blues - Moby
* Rock DJ - Robbie Williams
* Music - Madonna
* The Real Slim Shady - Eminem
* American Badass - Kid Rock
* Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus
* Why Does it Always Rain on Me? - Travis (Swung)
* Stiff Upper Lip - AC-DC
* Minority - Greenday (Swung)
* Only God Knows Why - Kid Rock
* South Side - Moby & Gwen Stefani
* Rock Superstar - Cypress Hill
* Mope - Bloodhound Gang
* Thank You For Loving Me - Bon Jovi
* Desert Rose - Sting
* I Try - Macy Gray
* Stan - Eminem & Dido
* Telling Stories - Tracy Chapman
* Sour Girl - Stone Temple Pilots
* Satellite Blues - AC-DC
* Letting the Cables Sleep - Bush
* Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols
* The Way You Love Me - Faith Hill
* The Great Beyond - R.E.M
* Angels - Robbie Williams
* Yellow - Coldplay
* Maybe Someday - The Cure
* Say it Isn't So - Bon Jovi
* Go Let It Out - Oasis
* Breathless - The Coors
* Rise - Gabrielle
* Aisha - Death In Vega

And here for 2001...

* How You Remind Me - Nickelback
* Hash Pipe - Weezer
* Island in the Sun - Weezer
* One More Time - Daft Punk
* Yellow - Coldplay
* Warning - Greenday
* Sing - Travis
* Side - Travis
* Clint Eastwood - Gorillaz
* I'm Like a Bird - Nelly Furtado
* Sail Away - David Gray
* Trouble - Coldplay
* Turn - Travis
* Family Affair - Mary J. Blige
* I Want Love - Elton John
* All the Way to Reno - R.E.M.
* Can't Get You Out Of My Head - Kylie Minogue
* Alcoholic - Starsailor
* This Is Love - PJ Harvey
* Hotel Yorba - The White Stripes
* It Wasn't Me - Shaggy
* Juxtaposed With U - Super Furry Animals
* Have A Nice Day - Stereophonics
* Powder Blue - Elbow
* Newborn - Elbow
* F.E.A.R. - Ian Brown

It's in no way complete but I hope you find some of those suggestions useful!

Rob