DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Default Our own worst enemies

This post is a response to one that Jay posted a week or so ago. That one was about a great player he knew that had a kit that was basically held together with duct tape. however he still made it sing and now he is moving to NY I think.

I was looking at my bass player last night at our practice and I was so jealous- he has a guitar, an amp and a lead. Thats it!

I am fortunate I feel to have a good kit - I would like a couple of additions and a few better cymbals but on the whole I feel lucky.

I read a lot of posts about people wanting more stuff- they have 12 cymbals but just cant resist that new cymbal etc etc etc.

Guitarists for the most part are on a par with drummers I feel with effects pedals et all and Maybe keyboard players- I have never seen a pro keyboard player that does not seem to have about 6 keyboards around them on top of each other.

My point here was are we the ones to blame for 'wanting' all this equipment of have we been suckered in by the corporations and Ad-men that tell us that we need all this extra crap?

Just wondering if there is another group of musicians that seemed to be consumed about gear as much as drummers?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Our own worst enemies

With us dirty stinkin drummers, we are always looking for challenge and variety. A 5-piece kit with 4 cymbals should be enough for anyone but for some reason, we (or maybe I'm just thinking of myself here) think that adding some roto toms, a darbuka and one of those hanging spiral cymbals that Zil makes will be that "extra something" that will set us apart from the crowd. Hell, why not add a clave block or two and don't forget the Factory Metal Cross Crasherz!!!!! Damn it, I need more cowbell!!!!!! In fact, I need an entire set of cowbells. And everybody knows that one china cymbal isn't enough! You need a RANGE of chinas from nearly microscopic in size to 24 feet in diameter! Now we're talkin! I need to get a bigger van. Maybe a Winnebago.

In all seriousness, though, maybe we need to address the issues of challenge and variety by perfecting technique. Also, I've found that interjecting a bit of variety can be done cost-effectively with just a few minimal purchases. For example, get a double bass pedal. That's a $300 way to persue a completely different style that will keep a drummer busy for quite some time! That's a freakin deal! Furthermore, it's not a whole lot of extra gear to carry around. Also, a set of roto toms isn't a bad idea. It's nice to have a higher-pitched option for fills and accents. And maybe the clave blocks aren't a bad idea either. Christ. Listen to me. I've got problems!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy View Post

Just wondering if there is another group of musicians that seemed to be consumed about gear as much as drummers?
Name:  collection.jpg
Views: 2694
Size:  71.9 KB

Old 01-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Out there in the real world, guys who make a living playing jazz in clubs do not have 8-12 grand to lay down for a custom kit.:) (And if they do, they certainly don't bring it into the clubs.)

I saw Marko Marcinko with Dave Liebman play the hell out of a Yamama Tour Custom. Paul Motian plays those natural Gretsch Renown drums, can't be too expensive. I think one of his cymbals is cracked too. Most guys use a good mid-range kit.

I have an M Birch kit and I think it is better than any kit I had back in the day, and costs less. I good mid-range kit with nice heads can sound really nice, if you tune it correctly and oh yeah, know how to play it.

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 01-08-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
This post is a response to one that Jay posted a week or so ago. That one was about a great player he knew that had a kit that was basically held together with duct tape. however he still made it sing and now he is moving to NY I think.

I was looking at my bass player last night at our practice and I was so jealous- he has a guitar, an amp and a lead. Thats it!

I am fortunate I feel to have a good kit - I would like a couple of additions and a few better cymbals but on the whole I feel lucky.

I read a lot of posts about people wanting more stuff- they have 12 cymbals but just cant resist that new cymbal etc etc etc.

Guitarists for the most part are on a par with drummers I feel with effects pedals et all and Maybe keyboard players- I have never seen a pro keyboard player that does not seem to have about 6 keyboards around them on top of each other.

My point here was are we the ones to blame for 'wanting' all this equipment of have we been suckered in by the corporations and Ad-men that tell us that we need all this extra crap?

I'm a gear head, always "putting together" another kit. But my guitar player is a gear head too, he's got scads of cool guitars and amps and guitar gizmo's.

It's a disease and the only cure is More COWBELL! L0L!!

Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Attachment 23405

Oops.

This was quite a while ago and not all of these are mine. The small ones aren't. The light acoustic and the classical are my Dad's. I have a couple of different guitars now...

In fact, only three of these are mine. I have five now.
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Gold Member

We are not the only ones with the gear issues...I went to college with plenty of guys who had to have more guitars and their related toys as well as horn players wanting more than one...as one said earlier...its a disease. We are all infected!!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
We are not the only ones with the gear issues...I went to college with plenty of guys who had to have more guitars and their related toys as well as horn players wanting more than one...as one said earlier...its a disease. We are all infected!!!!
I have a general instrument problem. It's not just guitars, but I have a collection of the weird and (occasionally) wonderful. Part of me at one point last term liked the look of the Baritone Sax, but fortunately sense prevailed...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

It's interesting you should say that about your bass player because i used to be the bass player in a band and i was on this bass forum and it's just incredible the stuff you can get, power outputs of 1500-2000w from one head, rackmounted FX, speaker cabinets with 8x10 speakers or 2x15" speakers or maybe just one 21" speaker. My dream bass amp cost well over £1000 and 4 10" speakers which were orange! And the basses, don't get me started. Some people had basses worth upwards of £4000. One guy owned 40 different basses. One guy owned 3 ampeg bass amps, a total of 24 10" speakers.

One guy on the forum, however when i showed him my drumkit pictures said that he could hardly believe that his drummer's ride cymbal cost more than his bass!

What i'm trying to say is that with all different instruments you get very expensive stuff because people buy expensive stuff. But you also get those who don't feel such a need. Or just can't afford it. In fact it's not just musicians either. Practically every activity from fishing to rally driving has it's own set of products and the associated expenses. And of course you're always gonna get big companies making big expensive stuff and making it look like people need it. Of course you are going to get people who don't really need it or know how to use it as well as spoilt little kids who have been playing for 2 months and want "daddy" to buy a £5000 gibson tom delonge guitar just so he can hang it on his wall.

To answer your question i think there is a bit of both elements here. Obviously people get duped into buying stuff because it's shiny (as i have mentioned in other threads about the Zildjian ZXT titanium) or it's well advertised but it's also about what you want in life, not just about what drums you want but also how you are going to make your money. There are people who live on £90 a week as a musician and love it because it's what they want to do. There are others who spend almost all their money on their drums. Some people on the other hand make a lot of money and are very good at drumming but just have a 4 piece kit with 3 cymbals (4 if we want to call the hihat 2) because they don't need any more.
For the most part, however, i would say that people by nature just want the best that they can get (just look at the credit crunch). Whether that's to do with advertising or just because that's what people want is a topic for debate but i would say advertising probably has a huge effect on most people, even just a nice photo can make someone want to buy something. I'm not saying by any means we should go communist and not buy any nice drum gear but just don't let the pretty pictures and hyperbole catch you out.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-08-2009, 09:29 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

And there's always an excuse. My excuse is that I need a short-scale bass as well as my normal one because I have smaller hands than most. I can attest to a short-scale working for me as well, because I've played a couple. And I want a nice Telecaster and a Jazzmaster, possibly an SG and a 12-string and another acoustic 'for alternate tunings'.

There's always another excuse, isn't there?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Man, I'm not even going to try to justify all of the drum stuff that I have. I used to try, saying, "well, THESE cymbals and THIS snare work for such and such a gig, and THESE cymbals with THIS kit work well for this application, and THESE...". I'll admit, I'm still a gear-head. I love to go to the used shops and try out a bunch of cymbals and snares to see if any of them float my drumming boat, but I know that I have way more than I need. As a drummer who enjoys the wide palate of sounds that you can get out of drums and cymbals, I like having lots of sounds available. Often times, I'll buy a snare or cymbal (used, of course--read my signature) that I've been wanting to try out and play around with it for a while. Then, I'll turn it around and sell it for what I paid for it, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

Unfortunately, I'm this way with other instruments, too. I have a few guitars that I use for different sounds, a few amps, a few cowbells, some woodblocks, a few triangles, etc... I'm very picky about the timbre of the sounds that I'm producing when making music. I wish I could get away with being happy with a simple representation of the desired sound, but my personal convictions won't let me if I know that I could make a sound that is more pleasing or expressive of the tune's particular mood...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Name:  John-Entwistle-a.jpg
Views: 17753
Size:  37.1 KB
Fender Precision Bass (sunburst, refinished to white in 1965)
Epiphone Rivoli semi-acoustic bass (sunburst)
Gibson EB-2 semi-acoustic bass (natural)
Mosrite Ventures Bass
Danelectro long-horn bass
Fender Jazz Bass (sunburst)
Rickenbacker 4001S bass
Gretsch 6070 Hollow Body Bass
Gibson EB-3 bass
Fender Bass VI
Vox Cougar Sidewinder IV V272 bass in a burgundy-grain finish
* Custom “Axe” Jazz bass
Custom-made “Spider” bass
Fender Precision Bass (slab body) in Olympic White, with maple neck
Sunburst Fender Precision Bass with rosewood fretboard and tortise shell pickguard
“Frankenstein” Fender Precision Bass with maple neck (made from several different Fender basses, and Entwistle's main stage and studio bass from 1967-1971)
Vox Violin Bass
Fender Precision Bass with rosewood fingerboard (black)
Rickenbacker 4005 hollow body bass
Gibson Thunderbird IV bass (both "Reverse" and "Non-Reverse"-styles)
"Fenderbird" basses (consisted of Gibson Thunderbird bodies (mostly "non-reverse" styles) and maple Fender Precision bass necks)
Rickenbacker 4005LS "Lightshow" hollow body bass
Alembic Series I basses
Fender “Explorer-Bird” (studio only)
Rickenbacker 4001 prototype 8-string bass (white)
Alembic Explorer bass
Custom Peter Cook “Lightning Bolt” bass
Modulus Buzzard graphite basses
Warwick custom Buzzard JE
Alembic Spyder Bass
Status Graphite JE Buzzard Bass
Warwick (bass guitar) Buzzard LTD 2003
Warwick (bass guitar) Cruiser bass (2005)

But he's Bass God. He deserved all that stuff
Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

The Epiphone Rivoli is the only bass I've ever played and felt like a God playing. A friend of mine owns a very early Gibson Epiphone (before they were a 'budget' line) from the 60's (pretty sure it's the limited-run '61) and it is the sweetest bass I've ever played. It's just phenomenal. Short scale, the perfect neck and such a sweet, sweet sound; despite the lack of tonal options. It also has a passive bass boost which I refer to as the 'filth switch'. Fortunately he feels the same way about my acoustic guitar, so we're even there at least.

This is in reference to Entwistle owning one.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
And there's always an excuse. My excuse is that I need a short-scale bass as well as my normal one because I have smaller hands than most. I can attest to a short-scale working for me as well, because I've played a couple. And I want a nice Telecaster and a Jazzmaster, possibly an SG and a 12-string and another acoustic 'for alternate tunings'.

I have small hands too but i play a 5 - string bass. At the end of the day it's all to do with the player.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I have small hands too but i play a 5 - string bass. At the end of the day it's all to do with the player.
Oh I can play a 4-5 string fine. I have tried a 6 string and didn't like that at all. But I don't always feel entirely comfortable playing a full scale length. I must admit, playing the intro to 'Red' by King Crimson gets mightily uncomfortable. Nasty bass chords.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:41 PM

I think I was just wondering what is the bare basics you need to drum- bass snare and hats?

I know if I had a kit with 30 toms and 60 cymbals Steve G could still groove all over me with a tupperware container and a stick-

So that got me wondering- I understand there will always be different people with different outlooks in life- some will always want the bes they can, others will have to make do and use duct tape etc.

I just wondered if anyone else thought that some of these companies feed into a 'crutch' mentality - telling people they will be better if they only have this new cymbal lathing technique etc etc.

I know if I go out and buy a $900 cymbal pack- it will not make me a $900 better drummer.

Also every drum shop I have ever been in - the extra's or add ons area are always 6 times the size of the just the basic sets areas
Old 01-09-2009, 12:13 AM

I play with a pretty big kit, but that doesn't stop me from using African hand drum technique on the counter at work because its nice and holy, making it pick up all the dynamics and accents you throw in there. It all comes down to the player and how you think about playing, yes I play with an 8 pc kit with all top line zildjian cymbals, that I picked out because they sounded the best to me by ear. But I get by with my pad and sticks in the break room, and any miscellaneous glasses of water, cookie tins, plastic wrappers under my feet, table edges, and rubber chair arms that find themselves at hand...

(My coworkers that aren't musicians hate me.)

9 years of blasturbation.
http://www.facebook.com/ferretpercussion
Old 01-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh I can play a 4-5 string fine. I have tried a 6 string and didn't like that at all. But I don't always feel entirely comfortable playing a full scale length. I must admit, playing the intro to 'Red' by King Crimson gets mightily uncomfortable. Nasty bass chords.
So practice. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a short scale just don't pretend that you couldn't play a full scale bass if you tried. Because i certainly can play all manner of powerchords, plus i try to play any songs from standard to drop B tuning without retuning even if it's in drop tuning which is quite challenging but fun. How small are your actual hands? Because my middle finger is 3.5 inches long. I remember some woman complaining about playing a 5 string because she had the same size fingers.

Quote:
I know if I go out and buy a $900 cymbal pack- it will not make me a $900 better drummer.
Well yeah i guess if you used the guitar hero measure of how much money you get being based on how well you play then no you definetly would not.

Having said this my opinion has always been that how good you are at drumming is never about how good or bad your kit is but how much you actually want to play and improve your skills. So maybe some people will have a bigger desire to learn if they have a decent kit.

EHs Music Facebook Page

Last edited by eddiehimself; 01-09-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Silver Member

Everyone should have priorities. If your bills are paid, if you're out of debt, no harm done by buying stuff. I say from a fiscal standpoint, buy used, pay only what you could get back by selling it or you're losing to depreciation (no brainer). If you lose by buying, THEN you're your own worst enemy.

But then again, who is richer? The man who has everything or the man who needs nothing?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I'm perfectly happy playing a 4 or 5-string, I just feel more comfortable on a shorter scale 4 or 5-string. It's like how my Strat feels completely different to my other electric; smaller neck makes it different to play. Without getting the ruler out, my hands are in fact smaller than most people I know and that includes the ladies. So pretty small.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
... It's like how my Strat feels completely different to my other electric;
Interesting aside. ( sorry for the hijack, OP ) How so, Duncan?

I was sitting with my giutar player friend the other day who owns ( amongst other lesser axes ), a vintage '72, and American classic, a Mexican made, and a JamesTyler Custom ( a REALLY expensive LA custom Strat copy with awesome engineering ).

The Tyler, the American Classic, and the Vintage are some other the best guitars I've ever played, but each, in its own way.

What is it IYO, that makes a Strat a Strat?

p.s- here they are

Name:  sy's guits.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  88.0 KB

left to right: James Tyler, American Classic, PRS (?), Mexican, Gibson (?)
Old 01-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Looks like a PRS Custom 22. Not sure.

My Strat is a little different to most - it's the Lite Ash model, which has an old-fashioned v-shaped neck. It did take me a while to get used to it, but the best description of the way it plays is 'sprightly' and it's an adjective I'd use to describe most Strats that I've played, even though mine is a little different. In contrast, I also own a PRS Santana SE (one of the cheaper line, made in Korea) which has a wide and shallow-ish neck profile and a 24.75 scale length as opposed to the Strat's 25.5 and it has a pair of humbuckers rather than the (slightly higher output version) single coils.

As for what makes a Strat a Strat? A combination of sound, feel and probably history. Many guitars feel like Strats fundamentally in the way they play and quite a number sound similar (and obviously there are a number of different Strat lines) but I think a lot of it comes down to it being a 'Fender' and you holding a 'Fender'. That sounds pretentious as Hell and it is and it's not a rational thing, but it makes me feel good. Yeah, I like my Strat. And it's not like any other Strat because it's my Strat.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm perfectly happy playing a 4 or 5-string, I just feel more comfortable on a shorter scale 4 or 5-string. It's like how my Strat feels completely different to my other electric; smaller neck makes it different to play. Without getting the ruler out, my hands are in fact smaller than most people I know and that includes the ladies. So pretty small.
I know what you mean about a strat but personally i actually like the feel of a wide neck, shorter scale heavy stringed guitar. It sounds a lot more beefy as well. Fine yeah play a smaller bass if you like the "feel" of it but try to lay off the "small hands" excuse in future because there are plenty of people with smaller hands than you playing bigger basses ;) our bass player is a 14 year old girl so i doubt her hands could possibly be much bigger than yours and she plays my 5 string perfectly well.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I know what you mean about a strat but personally i actually like the feel of a wide neck, shorter scale heavy stringed guitar. It sounds a lot more beefy as well. Fine yeah play a smaller bass if you like the "feel" of it but try to lay off the "small hands" excuse in future because there are plenty of people with smaller hands than you playing bigger basses ;) our bass player is a 14 year old girl so i doubt her hands could possibly be much bigger than yours and she plays my 5 string perfectly well.
Just for reference, 18cm from the bottom of the palm straight to the top of the middle finger. You'd be surprised how many girls have bigger hands. All the same, I do need to practice and maybe it's just that my bass is slightly uncomfortable for the way I play it. Sure, my technique does need some work and I'm not going to make any statements to the contrary. Short scale basses are great even if you don't have small hands. They feel great to me at least and it's another option. I think maybe 'lay off' is a slightly aggressive tone, so if you have an axe to grind there, tell me. For now, benefit of the doubt...

I've done the heavy strings, shorter scale length on my other guitar. It's set up with a lower action but heavier strings. Works out to be just as easy to play, but in an entirely different way. The only guitar I've ever really struggled with was a double-necked Ovation and that was on the 12-string part. And that was purely because I wasn't used to it. That's my go-to 'rock' sound guitar and my Strat tends to be for pretty much everything else, but seeing as it's a slightly higher output Strat than most, it does distorted well too. Right now I'm working on my fuzz tone, setting up my compressor and various pedals to do just that and it works well whatever is going through it. My bass sounds John Wetton-esque through it; which is kind of cool.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think maybe 'lay off' is a slightly aggressive tone, so if you have an axe to grind there, tell me. For now, benefit of the doubt...
Okay my hands are 17.5 cm same measurement so pretty much the same as you. As for the tone I do hear this excuse on a lot of guitar forums and i just think it's so silly because i have small hands and so do a lot of people who play huge instruments like double basses and you get others who are just like "oh i need to get a "faster" guitar". There's no such thing as a "fast" guitar, just a SLOW player! I'm not having a go at you MFB it just gets on my nerves a bit is all. I mean i bet Jimi hendrix or slash or joe satriani never said their guitar was too slow when they started playing.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Yeah, the 'faster' attitude is contrived. I can play the same material on all of my instruments regardless of the size of neck, I just get a better feel on one for certain material on one or other. Case in point, if I want to really dig in some big power chords, I like a chunky neck. Which I can grip. That's not to say it's any faster or any slower, it's just that I feel that that is more appropriate for what I'm playing at the time. It's more a mental thing and actually drummers often do the same think with their sticks. It's not just guitarists. What winds me up is this idea that a skinny neck equals speed. A skinny neck cramps your hands! You need something to grip when you're playing. I'm not a fast guitar player anyway generally speaking - so speed would never be an overriding choice even if the attitude did have a basis in what I see as kinaesthetic logic.

Apologies for my tone earlier - I'd just got home after a very heavy drinking session last night that involved about two hours of sleep so I was a little irritable. Apologies as such.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:36 AM

A good example to follow if you want to stop stupid or unnecesary gear buying is Dafnis Prieto,the man totally rocks he uses a standard 5pc and he doesn't even need bells for playing claves, the only "extra" things I've ever seen in his kits are just 1 jam block (ocassionally) and a frying pan. All parts (in songs) where some use weird sounds or this little extras (maxsplashes/stax for instance) he uses his own technique.

www.sensorama19-81.com
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 AM
wy yung

Quote:

Well I have 30 snare drums or so. But there is a valid musical reason....honest.

Kidding aside. I have recently had to hire a storage space for my gear. 1 problam I have is that as well as drumming I play percussion. If I thought that drummers need lots of gear, becoming a percussionist has shown me that drummers have it easy. My hand percussion, shakers etc, fits into 5 traps cases alone. Then there are sets of congas, bata, surdos, timbales, timbaus, tan tans etc etc etc. My bass player couldn't believe it when he saw it all in one place.

I don't feel guilty about this and nor should I or anyone else who has loads of gear. There are worse ways to spend money. Many people drink and gamble it all away. Buying a new snare drum is hardly a crime. I do not think I am suckered in by ads. I hope not anyway.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

Line6 Variax Duncan, I'm getting one for my birthday soon. You should too. So much tones, it's gonna be so cool.

Dirty hippy.

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 01-11-2009, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

Hell's bells, I'm plotting a replica of Terry Bozzio's kit just to see if I can play it! The flip side of that is, of course, that I won't be taking it out on gigs with my band. I let the circumstances of a musical situation whittle away my kit as needed. I know I've brought too much crap to a show when we start playing and I notice throughout the night that there's some items that I have not used all night. Next show, they get left behind at the jam space. I'm not into schlepping any more than I have to these days.

I should have joined a jazz combo.

(BTW, I'm serious about the Bozzio kit. Why should he have all the fun?)
Old 01-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tutin View Post
Line6 Variax Duncan, I'm getting one for my birthday soon. You should too. So much tones, it's gonna be so cool.

Dirty hippy.
Those things sound like your playing a guitar on a CD.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Everyone should have priorities. If your bills are paid, if you're out of debt, no harm done by buying stuff. I say from a fiscal standpoint, buy used, pay only what you could get back by selling it or you're losing to depreciation (no brainer). If you lose by buying, THEN you're your own worst enemy.

But then again, who is richer? The man who has everything or the man who needs nothing?
Totally agree, and sadly drumming comes down my priorities after living costs. But one thing i am grateful for with the lack of money is the things I've learnt. Like when I had only hi-hat, snare, base drum and a crash/ride as my kit and the sounds I can get out of that one cymbal or many different fills just using a base drum, snare and hi-hat.

I would love to have more money and more drum stuff but i can neither justify having just jazz cymbals and rock cymbals and funk cymbals. I have drum cymbals and same with my kit. I have a second hand kit that i use for everything.

But i can see some of the member of the this board who have bought their own house and have no financial problems, that is totally fine to buy gear.They have earn it.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:

Dirty hippy.
I'm assuming a 300? I told you about the time I borrowed the 700, right? That was a great bit of kit and the 300 is in the same league of awesome.

Tramp.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I'm assuming a 300? I told you about the time I borrowed the 700, right? That was a great bit of kit and the 300 is in the same league of awesome.

Tramp.
Tramp?! You with the beer in your avatar?! Calling me a tramp? Yeah, that's right... I'm judging you.

Yeah the 300, I would so love a 700. There's almost no difference in tone, but you feel a lot cooler with the 700.

And Eddiehimself, yeah, they do. It's pretty awesome, they have absolutely no electric hum at all. And right now I'm particularly annoyed with electric hum because it ruined my electronics lab the other day, couldn't get a decent signal. Rrrrrgh. haha

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 01-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Last time I formed a new band, I said "this time, I'm only playig a 4pc with a few cymbals! I am not going to carry a ton of gear to gigs!"

Right before we went to record our 1st single, the singer looks like at me and says " you think you could, like, hit more stuff in this song?"

So next you thing you know, I'm pulling out extra toms, extra cymbals, bells, and I think I had more stuff on my kit than my last band. LOL.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 AM
Silver Member

i could muster up the money to get this and that but...(this could be because i play jazz and dont need that many drums)....although i have 3toms and a snare...i could easily do with just the old ludwigs or rodgers which were a sort of three piece set...

i just try and have the few drums that i have sounding good.....clean them, change heads regulary, tune properly(thats the hardest!).....some of the greatest drummers had the bare minimum.....but made sure that they sounded good, i believe thats the way to go!...

if you know your drums you will know how to get multiple sounds out of each drum...not needing extras
Old 01-23-2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
haha

guitarists man

it's insane how much people will pay for a guitar. $2000+ for a Gibson Les Paul? what a rip-off. and then, they go and buy MORE guitars! you only need 1 unless you collect them or are rich...
Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Well that's just not true. Guitarists need a couple at least. Sure, you could probably manage with one, but what about an acoustic? Or a bass? Or if you're really serious about playing, guitars capable of different tones than the one you currently own?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And Eddiehimself, yeah, they do. It's pretty awesome, they have absolutely no electric hum at all. And right now I'm particularly annoyed with electric hum because it ruined my electronics lab the other day, couldn't get a decent signal. Rrrrrgh. haha
Not quite what i meant. What i was trying to say is that they sound digitised like all of these guitar amp sound emulators. Also if i wanted no hum i'd just buy a noise gate. Oh wait i did. No hum. Most of these devices also have a built in noise gate.

MFB don't forget different tunings as well. I must admit tho WI gibson les pauls are a rip-off. I doubt most people who play the guitar would ever notice the quality difference between an £800 guitar and a £2000 les paul, mostly because there isn't any. But yeah, different tunings.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

There's a point.

Actually in my experience the Variax is very natural sounding. Although it's not quite 'real' it really isn't far off. And gates are a pain.

On the other hand, I'm utterly with you on the tunings. And if anybody says 'oh you can just change it!' it doesn't work like that. New tunings require an entirely new set up of the guitar - particularly with regards to the intonation.