DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Set up/Breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinngadd View Post
Bad load ins still suck though!!!!!!
Funny you should say that. I just recently played a show where I had to back into the loading dock of the building...Huge trucks where giving me the evil eye for taking their space, had to walk all my gear through a hallway and into a service elevator. Once all my gear was in the elevator i had to walk through a contsruction zone through the back door of the kitchen. The kitchen was on the oppossite side of the bar so i had to carry everything through the kitchen and through the crowded resturaunt area before reaching the stage. I am normally out of a venue by 230am after breakdown but i didnt get out of this place till 4.

ugh.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Silver Member

I only gig about once a month on average, but I enjoy the process of setup and soundcheck, hanging with the band, it's all part of the fun for me. But I do have my mat and hardware marked with sharpie so everything is always in the same place, with a minimum of setup time.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
This is the one element of playing I like the least. I'm sure it's been a topic here before. But to play a gig, and having only one set, breakdown-pack everything up, load it, haul it in, set it up, break it down.... The worst part of playing for me.
Does anyone else feel this way?
Pffffssshhtt!! Of COURSE we feel this way!!!!

I was fortunate to have had an equipment manager for 12 GLORIOUS years. I was able to show up, play, get my cash and go home. I found it IMPROVED my drumming as I was in a better frame of mind and I didn't feel worn out from my day gig, moving the gear AND having to play.

It took out the frustration and anxiety of rushing around to try to get to the gig at a reasonable time to stake your claim on the real estate available on the stage and drag the gear, set up and hide the drum cases before the rest of the band arrived. If you were later getting there you'd have to set up elbow to elbow with the REST of the band and fight over stage turf while tripping over chords and other stage stuff. L0L!!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 AM
Silver Member

My band brings our own pa to shows but this is our typical saturday.
2pm at the practice space for load outs.
This takes 20 minutes.
Then we drive to Austin get there at around 5-6pm
Every body loads all the gear
By the time I'm set up the p.a. Is usually set up. I do my mics and cables and then we do sound check. This whole set up takes about an hour including sound check.

Then we eat dinner.

First set at 10pm
2nd set at 11:30
3rd set at 1:00

After the show I immediately start breaking down and then help roll cables.
Then we all load out. I'm usually in charge of packing the van.

We usually leave by 3am. Stop for fast food on the way home and get back to the space by 7am.

It sounds rough but I am usually pumped up after the show.

There are some bars in downtown where we have to load in the night before and load out takes 2 hours because of elevators.

I do have a spare practice kit though. Makes it easier.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:22 AM

It can get very old; however, I noticed through the years that other people complained more than I did. My dad used to say, "should have played the flute" and stuff lots. I was always eager to play out. Now, when I have to haul them to practice 2x week, then home, then gigs, that is rough. Right now we have a pretty good set up with our band. The band leader owns a "practice set" that I use for rehearsals. Sometimes I may bring my foot pedal or something, but basically just my gloves! When we play out I bring my kit, but, he provides me a mixer and mic stands, and mics for drums/vocals if I want. I think I will try out my new mics next time but still use his overheads. He provides cables as well. I have the mixer where I can control it. The sound man has one channel for drums from the mixer so he can turn up volume but not really mix stuff.
As long as I get there early enough not to be rushed, have plenty of time for sound checks, etc. I'm fine with it. I don't like being rushed either. It makes the performance seem like it's just thrown together and you worry how everything sounds. Once we've played a few tunes though, adjustments are made and then I can relax and JAM!

I can also add to the marimba players sentiments as I used to have full size set of vibes that I hauled several times a week. Very heavy, and yes it takes a while to set-up /break down as well. If I ever get any more vibes they will be small and lightweight.

Last edited by victoriousmusic; 05-07-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: forgot to add a comment
Old 05-07-2009, 05:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbike View Post
My band brings our own pa to shows but this is our typical saturday.
2pm at the practice space for load outs.
This takes 20 minutes.
Then we drive to Austin get there at around 5-6pm
Every body loads all the gear
By the time I'm set up the p.a. Is usually set up. I do my mics and cables and then we do sound check. This whole set up takes about an hour including sound check.

Then we eat dinner.

First set at 10pm
2nd set at 11:30
3rd set at 1:00

After the show I immediately start breaking down and then help roll cables.
Then we all load out. I'm usually in charge of packing the van.

We usually leave by 3am. Stop for fast food on the way home and get back to the space by 7am.

It sounds rough but I am usually pumped up after the show.

There are some bars in downtown where we have to load in the night before and load out takes 2 hours because of elevators.

I do have a spare practice kit though. Makes it easier.
WOW!!!! 8-0
I'll never complain about a "long night" again!!

If we're scheduled to play at 10:00pm, we'll leave at 6:30, 7:00pm, we'll get to a gig at 8:30pm load in check the gear and be ready to play by 10. We do 2 - 75 minute sets UNTIL 1:00am. If it's a 2:00 room we'll play 3 - 1 hour sets. Pack up, get our meals to go and be home at 4:00 to 5:00 am.

The gear NEVER leaves the van, the ONLY time we move it is to play a gig. We got it EASY compared to you man!!
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 05-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

I know i've had worse nights than that too. A Few weeks ago we got back from college station at 7 in the morning and had a 10 am roll call to get to soundcheck for a NOON gig.

it doesn't really bother me that much though. The only time it sucks is when there is a bad show which is really rare. We are always so excited and full of adrenaline that you don't really get tired.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:06 AM

I always used to enjoy the pre-show setup ritual, provided it wasn't too rushed. It's kind of therapeutic (sp?), it gives you time to ease into "the zone," and get anything that isn't drumming out of your mind before the show starts. Tear-down was different: more of a do-it-cuz-you-gotta-do-it thing, but once I had it streamlined it wasn't too bad.

Caddy, I hear you on the marimba setups by the way. If I never move another string of marimba keys, I'll die a happy man.