DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-21-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Set up/Breakdown

This is the one element of playing I like the least. I'm sure it's been a topic here before. But to play a gig, and having only one set, breakdown-pack everything up, load it, haul it in, set it up, break it down.... The worst part of playing for me.
Does anyone else feel this way?
Old 11-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Default Re: Set up/Breakdown

Better get used to it and accept it as part of the whole "being a drummer" package, if you can't, you're in trouble. Then you get in a band where you have to help move the p.a. system.
I spent many, many years moving my drumset (heavy Sonors) from my upstairs room to rehearsals & gigs & back, it's a drag but you have to do it until you have the resources to buy a second or even a third drumset to avoid all the gear shlepping. I'm 47 now & have drums in my practice room, rehearsal studio, and in my drum van for gigs but trust me, it didn't happen overnight.
Another thing which changed my perspective about gear moving was that I was an extra help stagehand at my local arena for 18 years. After you load a few dozen shows that have 10 or 12 semi trucks full of extremely heavy gear, you quickly realize that moving your drumset is really no big deal at all.
Good luck & remember, lift with your legs, not your back ;~)
Old 11-21-2008, 05:57 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Stevo, you should do what you have to to get a 2nd set, so your workload is halved. And with all due respect to you, stop the whining and man up. Sorry for being unsympathetic but it needed to be said. There are people who would love to have that "problem" You should count your blessings instead of cursing them.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:25 PM

if we wanted to be p#*#*sies then we would be a guitar player....or even a singer! lol
Old 11-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

I actually enjoy setting up and breaking down, as long as I'm not in a hurry to do so. There's something zen about it.

Now, my marimba on the other hand, takes about 45 minutes to break down and load into the car, 45 minutes to unload and set up, another 45 minutes to break down and load out, and another 45 minutes to set it back up at my house. That's 3 hours of loading/unloading/setting up/breaking down heavy gear. I only take the gigs that are worth that much trouble, needless to say. And, compared to this, a drum set is cake to transport!

When I start going down the dark path of, "man, it's times like these I wish I played the flute" or "if I wanted to move this much stuff for a living, I would have gotten a job at a moving company" rants, that's when the gigs never seem worth it. If I just focus on the positive and keep my mood up, then there's no problem with loading. That's what works for me. I know some people who this never works for. The whiny young musicians of today that stick with it become the unhappy old bitter musicians of tomorrow...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I actually enjoy setting up and breaking down, as long as I'm not in a hurry to do so. There's something zen about it.

Now, my marimba on the other hand, takes about 45 minutes to break down and load into the car, 45 minutes to unload and set up, another 45 minutes to break down and load out, and another 45 minutes to set it back up at my house. That's 3 hours of loading/unloading/setting up/breaking down heavy gear. I only take the gigs that are worth that much trouble, needless to say. And, compared to this, a drum set is cake to transport!

When I start going down the dark path of, "man, it's times like these I wish I played the flute" or "if I wanted to move this much stuff for a living, I would have gotten a job at a moving company" rants, that's when the gigs never seem worth it. If I just focus on the positive and keep my mood up, then there's no problem with loading. That's what works for me. I know some people who this never works for. The whiny young musicians of today that stick with it become the unhappy old bitter musicians of tomorrow...
I also enjoy the physicality of the drums and transporting and setting them up. It makes you pause and think about life.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:52 PM
lewisn27

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum1977 View Post
if we wanted to be p#*#*sies then we would be a guitar player....or even a singer! lol
for singers it's like
MIC, check
*plug in*
im done.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
for singers it's like
MIC, check
*plug in*
im done.
Isn't the *plug in* part was for the sound man? :-)
Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM
lewisn27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Yeah, but it's basically all they have to do.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Aw, c'mon, man! Don't be so hard on the singers. They have it pretty rough, too, you know. Sometimes they even bring their OWN mic! Oh, the humanity...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Gold Member

I am fortunate enough to have a drum tech who does my dirty work for me...sometimes. He's a college student, so I have him for summers, some fall dates, some winter dates. The other dates, I am on my own. I find that I actually enjoy setting up more than having him set me up...as Caddy said, there's something zen about the whole thing...bonding with the drums, so to speak. But for breaking down after a long show, I always prefer having my tech. Still, I find that when he's not there, the adrenaline/post-show euphoria is enough to make me not really upset about breaking down and packing up at all.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
This is the one element of playing I like the least. I'm sure it's been a topic here before. But to play a gig, and having only one set, breakdown-pack everything up, load it, haul it in, set it up, break it down.... The worst part of playing for me.
I hate it too, but I have a gig kit for my main band, a gig kit for my pick-up gigs and another for rehearsal, and one more for the house so I can practice. There's NO WAY I'd want to set up and break down my kit that much, so I eventually bough other stuff for the different things I do drumming wise.

Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 11-21-2008, 10:11 PM

Yeah, it's a drag. I minimize the effort by having a gigging kit and a playing kit, as others have said. Also, I use smaller kits (4 or 3-piece) and smaller drum sizes. I go with the lightest weight stands possible while still maintaining stability. A hardware bag with wheels helps a lot too.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, it's a pain. In school we had to haul all of our own stuff and load in the cars or on the buses.

Now that I'm gigging again, I have to do it all. Like others have said, if you can, get two kits. One for gigging/rehearsals and the other for practice.

While buying drums and stands and trying to upgrade and put together a decent set to see what kind of set I really wanted to buy, I accidently got enought drums to put together 2 complete 4 piece sets, all the same color. I bought some new stands and cleaned up and polished my old ones I had from my school days. Now I have two decent kits - one to gig with and one to practice with. I keep one at our rehearsal / venue and one to practice. All I do is haul my cymbals around in a cymbal bag.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yeah, I hate breaking it down.
And guitar/bass players just have to take their amps and guitars, we have to take everything...
Old 11-22-2008, 03:42 AM
Silver Member

The only time I really don't enjoy it is when my band is in a rush and everyone's waiting on me.

I've driven our guitarist to every gig for the last 7 months, (probably around 60-70 gigs) and he'll do one trip from the car, set up all his stuff and then sit down and have a coffee while I'm still doing my second trip from the car. Luckily I travel light, so it's two trips max. also takes me about 7 minutes to have my kit ready to go.

He used to get me to park in the loading bay, but I've since decided it's not worth it. I'll do my two trips in, then have to go and repark my car while he lounges around. I'd much rather make him walk.

Also: we order food close to the end of our last set, then when we pack up it's ready to eat. Trumpet puts his trumpet away, folds his music stand, double bass puts his bass in its case, guitar put his guitar away and unplugs his amp. Then they all sit down and tuck into pizza while I'm still taking my cymbals off their stands. This infuriates me: if you're not going to help me out you can have the decency to wait before you start eating.

When I have time to breathe I enjoy setting up and breaking down.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:57 AM

Well, some general info; I have been playing for over 30 years. I have done the one night stands, playing two to three different gigs a weekend and the practices. So, I'm not new to this. And to be honest, anymore, the band I'm in doesn't play out all that much. Yup, I know this sounds like I'm whining. And I usually can't wait to play live. So I guess I'm not Hatin' on it too much. But it is the one (and only) downside for me.
As to some of your other comments: Most of the time I get set up before the guitarists, keyboardist, and I sit back and hit my practice pad until they are ready for a sound check.
Did not mean to sound whiney, unapreciative of having these opportunites, just stating that for my vast love of playing the drums, it is the one part I enjoy the least.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well, some general info; I have been playing for over 30 years. I have done the one night stands, playing two to three different gigs a weekend and the practices. So, I'm not new to this. And to be honest, anymore, the band I'm in doesn't play out all that much. Yup, I know this sounds like I'm whining. And I usually can't wait to play live. So I guess I'm not Hatin' on it too much. But it is the one (and only) downside for me.
As to some of your other comments: Most of the time I get set up before the guitarists, keyboardist, and I sit back and hit my practice pad until they are ready for a sound check.
Did not mean to sound whiney, unapreciative of having these opportunites, just stating that for my vast love of playing the drums, it is the one part I enjoy the least.
I don't really see you as whiny and unappreciative, but this IS the instrument we've chosen, so whatever downfalls are attached to it we will have to suffer them.

Of course it's up to you to weigh the options that exist today that would allow you to downsize and make life easier for you. I prefer to use BIG drums, and of course with that comes the backaches of LIFTING it all!! C'est la vie, there's nothing but a choice to be done about it and that was my choice.

You simply must figure ways to make the cartage portion as painless as possible and if that means more than one kit, well, unfortunately you'll have to figure out a way. It was expensive, but I managed it and I found it was worth the investment in the FOUR kits I use to make it so I'm not always setting up and breaking down equipment.
1 kit for the main band - stays with the bands equipment van.
1 kit for the pickup gigs - packed and ready to go.
1 kit for rehearsal - RIMS Headset - always set up where we rehearse.
1 kit for personal home use - always set up at home.

Yeah, that's quite an investment, but if you think about it, the only kits that have to be "good kits" are the gig kits, the rest could be junk as long as it works.

You'll figure a way that will work for you even if it takes time. Just keep going for it!!

Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 11-23-2008, 01:37 AM
Senior Administrator

setting up is meditative for me. the only time i don't like it is if it has to be a rush job or in the dark.

breakdown is always a pain because after a gig i want to chill and chat, shower and sleep. the last thing i want to be doing is winding cables.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 AM

set up and tear down time and effort is one of the reasons I use a small kit.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 AM

It's a love/hate relationship for me. If I'm at a gig and have plenty of time to setup I'll enjoy it since I'm excited to play. But I HATE being rushed to set things up, it leads to me forgetting to tighten certain things and overall problems during our set. I've gotten used to it though since my band plays a ton of shows (atleast one a weekend, sometimes 2) so it's not that big of a deal to me.

What helps a whole lot is when your kit is setup at your house just the way you like it, mark where everything is. Use a sharpie to let yourself know how high each stand is and how far the legs go out and put tape around legs on your carpet, although that might not come in handy since most places have their own carpets.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
setting up is meditative for me. the only time i don't like it is if it has to be a rush job or in the dark.

breakdown is always a pain because after a gig i want to chill and chat, shower and sleep. the last thing i want to be doing is winding cables.
j
Fortunately we use a pretty small PA without a lot of cables and it's mostly put away by the time I finish casing up my kit. But then it's time to CARRY everything out. Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!! Me achin' BACK!!

Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Old 11-26-2008, 04:42 PM

Getting there is the best part for me.
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post

j
I've always told club owners & bands I'll play for free but you'll have too pay me to set up & tear down my kit LOL.It's just part of playing drums you better get used to it or start playing kazoo or something LOL

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 11-26-2008, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sharples View Post
Getting there is the best part for me.
That's my kind of drum hauler............sweet.

Bonzolead
Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM

Thanks built it myself gets a lot of attention in the city I wish my drumming would someday it will.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks built it myself gets a lot of attention in the city I wish my drumming would someday it will.
Got to give me the specs:it's a chevy but what year,drivetrain,besides paint job any other custom features. Totally cool ride keep at it and you'll be showing up in a bad-ass ride and playing bad-ass also.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 11-26-2008, 06:34 PM

1947 Chevy Sedan Delivery got a Mustang front end and rack & pinion, 400 cui two Hollyís on a tunnel ram, nice performance Cam Turbo 350 B&M trans And right now I am Tubing it out for more tire in back you can see more on my space.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=162449111
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2008, 06:37 PM

No the car is not in the house thats my Garage pissed my wife off when I did it over, before her kitchen.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No the car is not in the house thats my Garage pissed my wife off when I did it over, before her kitchen.
very nice,you runnin' a 400 ci chevy? you're garage looks very cool what gear you runnin' also. about how many hp?

Bonzolead
Old 11-26-2008, 08:30 PM

Never had it dynode but its got to be around 450 hp I am changing the gears with the tub job but I havenít decided what I am going to run yet. I like to be able to drive it to the Grocery store too.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it's part of being a drummer, but you're also part of a BAND and it never hurts to remind the other guys of that. Suggest making setup/teardown a team effort where everybody works equally until it's done. If you point out how much more time you're putting in than them, most people would help you out, especially if these guys are your close friends.

Of course, that means you have to be cool with the other guys setting up drums for you and teaching them how to do it. If you can't then, well, you gotta do it yourself.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:02 AM
Silver Member

I haven't gigged out but I've "roadied" for my friends' bands. And I think it's lousy for band members to just load up their own gear and leave the drummer to fend for himself. Just my opinion.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:49 AM
Silver Member

Not a problem with my band's gigs, 'cause we usually have to load in & set up our own PA. So yeah, they get their gear loaded in & set up faster than me, so then they start on the PA. Usually we all get finished at roughly the same time, just in time for me to set levels. (I usually run sound for us as well.)
Old 11-27-2008, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
I haven't gigged out but I've "roadied" for my friends' bands. And I think it's lousy for band members to just load up their own gear and leave the drummer to fend for himself. Just my opinion.
Perhaps I'm the exception to this opinion, but I really don't care for people to help me with my rig. I like things broken down & packed a certain way, & I really don't care to explain it over & over to well meaning people. As far as toting everything out to my van, I have a certain order to how things are loaded, & when others bring out my stuff it just messes with my head trying to inventory stuff & keep track when I didn't bring it out myself.
After 32 years of gigging, I can do it myself quicker & more efficiently so I just politely tell folks "Thanks, but I've got it" if they ask if I want help. The only help I ask from my band mates is to please get their guitars off the stage & make a path.
Nine times out of ten I have my gear loaded before the others have even begun to pack their stuff up. We have a sound & light man who deals with with his stuff which is great, & we all haul our own gear, I like it that way. I participated in the group effort of moving the show in a band vehicle for years, it usually ends up that one or two people do 90% of the work. I won't be doing that again.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Yeah it sux. I'm 37 just hitting my career stride and just being able to buy everything i need.

I have 4 kits:

1. main "studio kit" stays in the practice studio, main "recording" kit. i refuse to "gig" with it unless i've got a show with a crowd of 1000+

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j.../bubinga13.jpg

2. Primary "gig" kit for bars, clubs, regular shows. Alaways "broken down" and lives in the backseat of my truck 75% of the time:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...Diatribe11.jpg

3. Pearl rhythm traveller for emergencies and extremely limited space venues:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...traveller2.jpg

4: Old Faithful vintage Ludwig kit that i have in the confides of home:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...es/ludwig2.jpg

Yeah, Steve-O if you've got the space and the cash i'd invest in a small drumkit just for playing out, it makes life so much easier. If not, I'd say downsize your kit as far as you can without sacrificing playability. I'd like to haul around my monster bubinga 11 pc double bass kit but it's just not realistic (until of course the day i sign onto a million dollar tour, then i'm gonna hire bobby rock, tico torres and Rikki Rokket to be my drum techs, bwahahaha!!!!!)
Old 12-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

I guess I'm just an oddball in a lot of different ways.

I went the other direction and went away from multiple kits down to just one. I used to have a gig kit and a practice kit, but my cymbal bag generally stayed with the gig kit and my practice kit never got any use. Plus, although the practice kit was nicer, the gig kit was smaller and easier to move, so it got more play time. Anyway, I finally decided to sell both kits and upgrade to a REALLY nice kit. I don't usually move the whole thing, though- I usually just bring out the stuff I need and leave everything else set up at home.

I play guitar in my band. For an "average" gig (that is, more than just a 40 minute set), I'll have 2-3 guitars, a folding guitar stand, my pedal board, at least 3 cables, guitar amp, guitar mic and stand, DI box, and maybe even a couple of mic cables to tear down... and that's assuming the vocal mic and stand are house. Needless to say, my drummer is usually torn down about the same time I am. Our bassist, however... she chills out for 10-15 minutes and then unplugs her bass and is just about ready to load. Jerk. :-)
Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
1947 Chevy Sedan Delivery got a Mustang front end and rack & pinion, 400 cui two Hollyís on a tunnel ram, nice performance Cam Turbo 350 B&M trans And right now I am Tubing it out for more tire in back you can see more on my space.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=162449111
Sweet set up and nice ride
Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM

I actually enjoy the set up process. I love getting to a gig an hour before the rest of my band, grabbing a beer and taking my time to make sure everything is how i want it.

The breakdown is what i hate. Not because i hate to break it down but because its always three in the morning and i had just played for 4 hours.

I used to take my kit to a gig set it up, break it down after that, take it back to the practice space the next day and set it up for self practice, then break it down and move it to where the band practices for rehersal, then break it back down for another gig. This was week after week after week. Needless to say, i started setting up less and less at rehersal. I think at one point i was practicing with just kick, snare and hi hat.

Anyway, now i have a gig kit that pretty much stays packed up except for gigs (twice a weekend) and a practice set that stays partially set up in the rehersal space.

In my opinion the only thing better then working with you kit and setting it up and looking good is actually sitting behind them and playing to a crowd.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:52 PM

For me, it's a love hate relationship. I don't mind setting up because of the anticipation of playing. I love playing. It's the load ins that irk me. I HATE difficult load ins, you know the kind where you have to go through the kitchen, or you have to wait for an elevator in a 73 story hotel, there's two service elevators, but only one is actually in use, or you have a flight of stairs to climb and descend...HATE them. Break down is cool too. Especially after playing a great show and the crowd loved us...love talking to the audience. I also love the time by myself while I set up. No one to step over or say excuse me to. I always get to gigs 2 1/2 hours early if I have to set up my mics and cables. An hour and a 1/2 if I just have to set up my drums alone. Good time to myself. Get to chill and kind of relax before I play. Which is my preference. Plus, getting there that early allows me to help the rest of the band with the PA. And they get there early too. So we all get to hang and chill once everything is set up. Good stuff. Bad load ins still suck though!!!!!!