DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:47 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default What makes....

Rock music rock music?

Or swing music swing music?

Anybody who thinks they can contribute...any genre is welcome. Show us what you got lol. They were just examples up front.

I'll start. I just saw a video the other day that attempted to answer the question, "what makes swing music...swing music?" It did it better than anything I've heard so far, which hasn't been much actually.

Walking bass, we know that. I forget what they said about the drums believe it or not. We know that part too. But the one little nugget I got from that I felt rang true was the call and response aspect of swing. Think Glenn Miller's "In The Mood" where the trumpets answer the saxophones (I think they are saxes but it could be other woodwinds in there too) I guess I never realized that was call and response.

So that's not definitive or anything, but it does offer a couple easy to understand nuts and bolts about one aspect of the genre.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What makes....

I thought it was the predominant triplet feel in swing music that made it swing. The reason you call it rock n roll is because you have a straight 8th feel going (the rock) grinding against the triplet feel (the roll).
Old 01-15-2019, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I thought it was the predominant triplet feel in swing music that made it swing. The reason you call it rock n roll is because you have a straight 8th feel going (the rock) grinding against the triplet feel (the roll).
What about hard bop? And what about rock drummers who swing very slightly, like Bonham? LOL

Personally, I got nothing.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Me, 20 years ago: "I hate when people use the cop-out, 'I know it when I hear it.' These things can be defined. Here you go... (insert 4,000-word definitions)."

Me, today: "I know it when I hear it."
Old 01-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

A big factor is the instrumentation. Swing implies a big band of saxes, brass and rhythm, maybe a clarinet or singer.

Rock implies guitar, bass, drums + vocal.

A string quartet could play an exact transcription of a swing or rock song, but it wouldn’t be actual swing or rock, just a string adaptation.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:35 PM
Gold Member

Rockabilly Swing?

Ask Elvis.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

"Can't You Hear Me Knockin" by the Rolling Stones, they are a rock band but the second half of the recording goes off on a jazzy sounding instrumental. But the song is still a masterpiece rock song from a great rock band.

I have no way to defining any music style. This isn't science.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Funk: Any music with a bass & drum arrangement that makes women dance like they wanna have babies.

Disco: Any music that ruins the funk.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

The record label putting the genre on the record sleeve?
The store putting the CD on the shelves?

Honestly there are so many genres and sub-genres now days that it is all pretty arbitrary.

For example "Swing" has different connotations based on generation and location. To one generation it is the music of the 30's-40's. To others it is the neo-Swing movement of the mid to late 90's. Even on top of that you have separate ideas depending on what area of the country you lived in, the 30's-40's swing of Texas and Oklahoma is a bit different than the swing of New York.

Likewise Rockabilly, is quite different from the 50s, 70s, and 90s.

That doesn't even get in to an act that might be squarely in one genre, but is heavily influenced by others too.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Times in multiples of 3 swing and times in multiples of 2 rock, is the simple way I think of it.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 PM
Platinum Member

Marketing makes music genres.

e.g. Country Music is the pop of 20-25 years ago...but sells better when packaged with good 'ol down home non-threatening ignorance(no offence to those that love real country-more of a statement of my music enjoyment limitations TBH).

Yes we hear a difference between these genres...but there is an infinite range of variation possible between these genres that is not readily available on the market...and the existence of genres(limitation of music out there in the in-duh-stry) is to allow market targeting and therefore maximization of profits.

Genres are arbitrary money making tools...like brands of toothpaste or underwear...all just different enough to allow targeting of the audience....where the reality of music is a continuum of pitch, rhythm, tambre and dynamic that has a functional social cohesion/healing component...not just a continuum of financial flow.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah Marketing is Marketing, can't stop lazy ass people. I would say Ace that in a real sense that Environment, Attitude, probably Clothing and Hair and Cars, are a big factor.. then play music accordingly. here are some examples.
Attached Images