DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:04 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: THe Conway Slingerlands have been Rescued

If it's who I'm thinking that would be great news as you'd think they'd offer the long term stability that has been lacking under Gibsons ownership the last 20+ years.

Also they'd have the infrastructure for building, marketing and distribution.

It would be great to see Slingerland back. I have a very big soft spot for them.

Love my Radio King and the vintage kit I use at rehearsals.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:48 AM
Hollywood Jim
This message has been deleted by Hollywood Jim.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
John told me that the Slingerland name is up for bids at a price that I can't divulge, but if I told you the price you'd keel over dead. It's outrageous...

GeeDeeEmm
Outrageously high? Or outrageously low?
Old 10-28-2018, 10:50 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutaway79 View Post
Outrageously high? Or outrageously low?
High. In the millions. You pay the money and in return receive a piece of paper giving you the right to place a name on a drum set. It would take a much better business man than me to figure out if the name is worth that kind of money. Can you imagine how many kits would have to be sold to pay for that name? Maybe it's worth it, I don't know. The drum market is VERY crowded, and companies are going out of business regularly. Having a famous name could mean the difference between making it or not.

(I can already hear the response, "Gibson couldn't make it work." True. But in their case you have an irresponsible CEO, wacky investments in side businesses, and wickedly-high retail prices. I guess we need to think, "If Henry Juszkiewicz can't screw it up, who can?" Maybe their new CEO and team can at least save Gibson. https://www.billboard.com/articles/b...bankruptcy-kkr)

GeeDeeEmm
Old 10-29-2018, 04:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe it's worth it, I don't know. The drum market is VERY crowded, and companies are going out of business regularly. Having a famous name could mean the difference between making it or not.
They would have to offer the same designs and features from the past (with a few improvements perhaps). But didn't Gretsch take over some of Slingerland's equipment? And doesn't some guy who used to work at Slingerland sell drums with almost the exact specs?

http://www.chicagodrum.com/about.html
Old 10-29-2018, 05:07 AM
Platinum Member

Is it Stone Drums? I seem too to remember a guy named Billy on here who talked about them or possibly worked for them.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

It is Stone Custom Drum. They are making the 3 & 5 Ply Niles shells. Remember they bought all of the shell manufacturing equipment about 5-6 years back. www.stonecustomdrum.com
Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

I just purchased one of the Concert King Drum sets. I guess we can't say anymore that they have never been available to the public. I am the public. LOL
I'm excited to see what arrives.

Old 10-29-2018, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Stone drums! Yeah, that's it. They're using the same Slingerland lugs as far as I can tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYZ0V1NBt7I
Old 10-30-2018, 12:19 AM

Its on the way Hollywood Jim!
Old 10-30-2018, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLINGERLANDGUY View Post
Its on the way Hollywood Jim!
Thank you. Wow quick shipping!!!
Can't wait to see what they are all about. The sizes are just right for me.
Do the same kits come in different sizes? Can I get a matching 14 inch floor tom?

Thank you so much

Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by force3005 View Post
It is Stone Custom Drum. They are making the 3 & 5 Ply Niles shells. Remember they bought all of the shell manufacturing equipment about 5-6 years back. www.stonecustomdrum.com
Nope. I really should not have brought it up, I guess, since I can't reveal who it is. It'll show up in the MI press soon, I would think.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 10-30-2018, 12:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I just purchased one of the Concert King Drum sets. I guess we can't say anymore that they have never been available to the public. I am the public. LOL
I'm excited to see what arrives.

What color did you get, Jim?

GeeDeeEmm
Old 10-30-2018, 12:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What color did you get, Jim?

GeeDeeEmm
Walnut. It was hard to decide. The black probably has the best resale value.
Did you buy a set?

Old 10-30-2018, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Hey gdmoore28:

Since you got to see this stuff, are there any full sets of USA Conway Radio Kings? Will he be selling them? Soon?

Old 10-30-2018, 02:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nope. I really should not have brought it up, I guess, since I can't reveal who it is. It'll show up in the MI press soon, I would think.

GeeDeeEmm

Hey Gdmoore28. I just brought it, up because someone wanted to know the correct full name. I would not tell anyone because I don't know and it's not right to say anything I don't about.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:41 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Walnut. It was hard to decide. The black probably has the best resale value.
Did you buy a set?

Picking mine up in the morning! Still haven't decided on a color.

As for the Radio King sets, I'll have to add that to my question list.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 10-30-2018, 04:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Picking mine up in the morning!
HEY ! That's no fair. You gotta wait until I get mine..... LOL

Old 10-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Silver Member

Hey Gdmoore28 & Hollywood. Rremember we need pics of your new Slingerlands. Lots of pics you lucky dogs.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
HEY ! That's no fair. You gotta wait until I get mine..... LOL

Sorry, Jim - I just couldn't wait! The set is sitting here in my bedroom right now waiting to be unboxed, but I'm so tired from the 300 mile round trip (Hey, I'm an old guy!) that I'll probably wait until tomorrow.

And Force, I'll be taking pics and making a YouTube video so ya'll can see the unboxing process and the kits. I still have another trip to make to pick up the Slingerland WMP wrap that the entire kit will be wrapped in as soon as all supplies are on hand. These are the walnut versions of the Concert Kings. It'll be interesting to see how they look.

Now, for everybody that had questions:

- Are there any USA single drums available? Yes, but John is still counting and discovering exactly what he has. The invoice he received has been inaccurate, with some cool discoveries so far. At this point, he knows he has these USA singles on hand:
- (25) 13" South Carolina toms in lacquer wine red
- At least one Nashville 18" Studio King floor tom in lacquer sunburst
- Three each of 10" & 12" Nashville Studio King toms in lacquer sunburst
- Gene Krupa kits: SOLD OUT
- Several pallets of SINGLE PLY Radio King and Super Radio King snare drums - total of 41 snares - almost all of them in WMP, but there are other finishes, too. Price: $999.00
- Conway individual toms, 12"/14"/16"/18" in WMP, Violet, Natural, Black Pearl. Unknown number at this time.
- Almost all of the Conway drum sets are WMP, with a few other colors. These are all Modern Tour Jazz kits: 12/14/20 and 14"snare drum. Hardware is included. Price: $2995.00
- The Concert King kits are selling nicely. These kits are 12/13/16/22/14snare, and come in natural, amber, and walnut. Price: $999 including hardware kit.
- Found out today that John also has some Jam King kits in black, wine red, and metallic silver wraps. I didn't get a chance to see these kits, so can't say just yet what the shells are made of, sizes, or any specifics on the hard parts.
More info later.

That's it for today, kiddos. When I get any more updates, I'll pass them along.

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited by gdmoore28; 10-31-2018 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I still have another trip to make to pick up the Slingerland WMP wrap that the entire kit will be wrapped in as soon as all supplies are on hand. GeeDeeEmm
Hey Gee Dee:

Thank you for the great update. Where are you getting the Slingerland WMP wrap from??

Old 10-31-2018, 02:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey Gee Dee:

Thank you for the great update. Where are you getting the Slingerland WMP wrap from??

I'm getting it from John. He has a LOT of hardware, parts, etc that never made it into kits. He said he has "hundreds" of engraved hoops, tom mounts, all kinds of stuff.

I need to make some corrections on some specifics I gave about the Concert King kits that you and I bought. I did some research to determine when production ceased at the Conway plant and I came up with 1998, but that was when the Custom Shop closed. The kits we have are from the 2000-2005 period, so several years newer than I thought. Yes!

Secondly, after my research I'd concluded (and was told by others) that these kits had never been sold before. That turns out not to be correct. In fact, these kits were marketed directly to the public by Gibson thru their Music Yo online sales site. Darn. I have no idea how many kits were sold, but was able to find only one reference to the kits during another search.

Thirdly, it looks like the shells are made of alternating plies of maple and mahogany. John says that they are five ply with maple/mahogany/maple/mahogany/maple.

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited by gdmoore28; 10-31-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:25 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm getting it from John. He has a LOT of hardware, parts, etc that never made it into kits. He said he has "hundreds" of engraved hoops, tom mounts, all kinds of stuff.

I need to make some corrections on some specifics I gave about the Concert King kits that you and I bought. I did some research to determine when production ceased at the Conway plant and I came up with 1998, but that was when the Custom Shop closed. The kits we have are from the 2000-2005 period, so several years newer than I thought. Yes!

Secondly, after my research I'd concluded (and was told by others) that these kits had never been sold before. That turns out not to be correct. In fact, these kits were marketed directly to the public by Gibson thru their Music Yo online sales site. Darn. I have no idea how many kits were sold, but was able to find only one reference to the kits during another search.

Thirdly, it looks like the shells are made of alternating plies of maple and mahogany. John says that they are five ply with maple/mahogany/maple/mahogany/maple.

GeeDeeEmm
Very interesting. 5 ply. I’m dying to know what they sound like.
I love me some maple and mahogany. I’m not sure I will want to wrap them.
Why did you buy walnut color if you are going to wrap them?

Old 11-01-2018, 03:44 PM
Gold Member

Color didn't matter. And the Walnut kit just happened to be easy to get to. It was at the front of the line! I was very busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to fiddle with the kit, but I did pull the 13" tom out of the box last night and - whoa! That walnut color is MUCH prettier than I thought it would be. Almost a deep, dark red color. That was in my darkened room, though. It may look different in brighter light. And the finish was perfect. Same for the chrome that I saw on the other kits - deep and lustrous.

I'm going to be busy again today, so don't know if I'll have a chance to dig into them today, either. The suspense is killing me. But, a broken oven and work on my son's car has to take precedence. I'll be taking pics for everybody to see. You may beat me to it, Jim.

GeeDeeEmm
Old 11-02-2018, 01:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Color didn't matter. And the Walnut kit just happened to be easy to get to. It was at the front of the line! I was very busy yesterday and didn't get a chance to fiddle with the kit, but I did pull the 13" tom out of the box last night and - whoa! That walnut color is MUCH prettier than I thought it would be. Almost a deep, dark red color. That was in my darkened room, though. It may look different in brighter light. And the finish was perfect. Same for the chrome that I saw on the other kits - deep and lustrous.

I'm going to be busy again today, so don't know if I'll have a chance to dig into them today, either. The suspense is killing me. But, a broken oven and work on my son's car has to take precedence. I'll be taking pics for everybody to see. You may beat me to it, Jim.

GeeDeeEmm
“Your killing me smalls”

Old 11-02-2018, 06:08 PM

I've got the Krupa kit on the way and I couldn't be more excited. I'm a diehard Ludwig guy but my very first kit was a Slingerland. I've always said when I found the right Slingerland kit in the sizes I prefer, I was going to own it. They shipped out yesterday so I'll have them soon and I'll post pictures when I get them set up. It's going to make a nice addition to the stable and I can't wait to play them. For anyone wondering, John is a really nice guy and was a pleasure to deal with. He and I have talked almost every day since he made his original post. He gave me what I thought was a very fair price for the kit and the shipping, has answered all my questions, sent me pictures of what I asked about, and had everything on a pallet and ready to ship before he even received my payment. The shipment went out literally minutes after he received my money.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb View Post
I've got the Krupa kit on the way and I couldn't be more excited. I'm a diehard Ludwig guy but my very first kit was a Slingerland. I've always said when I found the right Slingerland kit in the sizes I prefer, I was going to own it. They shipped out yesterday so I'll have them soon and I'll post pictures when I get them set up. It's going to make a nice addition to the stable and I can't wait to play them. For anyone wondering, John is a really nice guy and was a pleasure to deal with. He and I have talked almost every day since he made his original post. He gave me what I thought was a very fair price for the kit and the shipping, has answered all my questions, sent me pictures of what I asked about, and had everything on a pallet and ready to ship before he even received my payment. The shipment went out literally minutes after he received my money.
WOW. Congratulations !!!!

I'd love to have a kit like that. YES John is a great guy to deal with.
I received my Concert King set today. Really nice looking drums. And it came with the real Slingerland drum heads.

It will take a few days for me to set them up and play them.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:18 PM

Hollywood Jim, Thanks! Your kit is cool too. Looking forward to seeing it all set up and hearing how you like them.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

Oh Hollywood. Puh-leeeeze tell me you hacked the cartons open with a utility knife like Uncle Larry did when he un-boxed his first Guru set on 9/26/2013! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT42...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-03-2018, 06:20 AM
Gold Member

Those are all made in Taiwan.
Old 11-03-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlin' Bones View Post
Those are all made in Taiwan.
Yeah, why do the boxes have “made in Taiwan” on them? Arkansas is not in Taiwan.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Gold Member

Slingerland Drums and Hardware Made in Taiwan or Product of Taiwan. Something like that on what looks like the kick box and floor tom box. High tom must have been nested in one of them. Another small box with Kg weight designations with what looks like a soft case.

So, new forum member joins and immediately starts posting about a mysterious find of a significant cache of NOS Conway Arkansas Slingerland drums that he found and will soon have for sale. Never a member before. Language a little off. Then one long-time member who lives in Arkansas starts posting, visits the still-mysterious and undisclosed location, sees the drums, and buys a kit, then another member does likewise, and all the while there are just a few pics posted (most of the same WMP drums) and no ordering information, then one of the members who ordered receives their kit and it's in boxes that indicate place of origin is Taiwan.

I dunno about all of this. I've been a skeptic since the start.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Slingerland Drums and Hardware Made in Taiwan or Product of Taiwan. Something like that on what looks like the kick box and floor tom box. High tom must have been nested in one of them. Another small box with Kg weight designations with what looks like a soft case.

So, new forum member joins and immediately starts posting about a mysterious find of a significant cache of NOS Conway Arkansas Slingerland drums that he found and will soon have for sale. Never a member before. Language a little off. Then one long-time member who lives in Arkansas starts posting, visits the still-mysterious and undisclosed location, sees the drums, and buys a kit, then another member does likewise, and all the while there are just a few pics posted (most of the same WMP drums) and no ordering information, then one of the members who ordered receives their kit and it's in boxes that indicate place of origin is Taiwan.

I’m on my cell phone right now. When I get home tonight I’ll clear it all up for you. Unless someone does it before then. Yes the Concert King Drum sets (the one I bought) was made in Taiwan about 2002. But the guy has a warehouse full of other Slingerland stuff too, Nashvilleg and Conway stuff. The only problem is he is selling stuff before he has listed everything he has. So if you are interested in Slingerland stuff you need to keep an eye on his eBay store. Or call him direct.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Oh Hollywood. Puh-leeeeze tell me you hacked the cartons open with a utility knife like Uncle Larry did when he un-boxed his first Guru set on 9/26/2013! ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT42...ature=youtu.be
You can rent my box opening skills, but I am not cheap.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
So if you are interested in Slingerland stuff you need to keep an eye on his eBay store. Or call him direct.

Links or info would be appreciated. I'm definitely interested in a set.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:24 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

It's been made clear from the beginning that the Concert King kits were made in Taiwan (just like almost everything made of metal on practically every kit you buy, regardless of price), while the other kits were made in Conway, Arkansas. Contact information is available on the ebay store site that was noted a couple of times earlier. If you'd like to confirm all of this, PM me and I'll give you John's personal phone number and you can hear for yourself. As I said earlier in this thread, I perfectly understand why somebody would be skeptical because you have to be in today's world - there are frauds in abundance. But I posted because I want to help spread the word that Slingerland lovers now have brand new USA and import kits, singles, snares, and parts available to them until stocks are sold out. The warehouse location has not been revealed for obvious reasons - they are housed in a number of rental warehouses that not guarded, for one. Giving out the exact location would be . . . let's say . . . irresponsible.

Anyway, I've talked at length to the owner, visited him at his home and at his workplace, been there to see it all for myself, was awestruck, and photographed it all and posted the visit for all to see. I don't know what else I could do to verify the story - and I made a very good friend in the process.

So, if I can get the links to work, here is my Concert King kit - same walnut color as Jims. I'm not even going to play them before replacing the heads, because those that are shipped with it are the typical no-name, worthless Asian-produced heads that are typically shipped with kits in this price range. Guess that makes sense, anyway, because any self-respecting drummer is going to replace factory drumheads with those of their own preference.

***Well, once again this site will not upload my pictures. Here's what comes up when I try:

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing."

What am I doing wrong????????

GeeDeeEmm

Last edited by gdmoore28; 11-05-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

John, the guy who is selling the Slingerland stuff, is the nicest guy you would ever want to deal with. If you are interested in buying any of the Slingerland stuff he has you either have to keep your eye on this site: https://www.ebay.com/str/neamusic or call him direct. If you don't want to miss out on something he has, I would advise you to call him direct. Send a message to gdmoore28 to get John's phone number.

Like I said before the frustrating thing about this is, John is still digging through his inventory to discover what he has.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:12 AM
Gold Member

Title of thread is "The Conway Slingerlands have been Rescued" First kit someone bought and received and posted pics of is Made in Taiwan. Enough said.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:21 AM
Gold Member

I remember quite well back in 2003-2004 when those Taiwan Slingerland kits were being sold new for $400-500. They had hardware packs for like $150. They were low end drums with a once famous name. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but they are certainly not worth $999.
Old 11-04-2018, 05:10 PM
Gold Member

Yeah...the only kits bought by the 2 members here and only kits for sale on eBay are Made in Taiwan and really have nothing to do with the original Slingerland or anything made in Arkansas. That's the only kits for sale on their eBay site, too. So far no Conway Slingerlands for sale. You' think they'd want to sell some of that Conway inventory first rather than Taiwan kits, especially since title of this thread is "The Conway Slingerlands have been Rescued". To me, it hasn't sounded quite right from the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
I remember quite well back in 2003-2004 when those Taiwan Slingerland kits were being sold new for $400-500. They had hardware packs for like $150. They were low end drums with a once famous name. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade here, but they are certainly not worth $999.
Old 11-04-2018, 10:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman View Post
Yep, that's the low end line that Slingerland was importing at the time. I think they are called Jam King or Jam Something, can't remember at the moment. He has a few of those kits, too, that will be listed on the ebay store some time in the future.

GeeDeeEmm