DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: The worst gig of my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingman View Post
Maybe I will. If so you will always be able to use your own gear at my place! But like I said, if all drummers were to band together and refuse to be treated with disrespect by the owners etc of these venues and stopped playing said venues until things changed then then we would actually see change because they would have no bands to play. No bands equals no money. Thats when change will happen. But as long as you have drummers that are willing to undercut those that are standing for whats right it wil never change. And that just makes it hard on every musician in the long run as we will continue to be at the mercy of the venue owners and staff.

With all that said Im sure that there are still some of us, I hope the vast majority of us, out here that will go above and beyond to stand our ground for what we feel is right. We may not get fair treatment 100 percent of the time. And sadly we may have to deal with a crappy kit now and then. But at least it will be known that we stand up for ourselves, in a respectful manner I might add, and we dont just go along with whatever anyone tells us to just so we don't make waves. I just think so many drummers are so used to being treated like crap that we don't even bat an eye when it happens.

I really do go out of my way to be friendly, accommodating and overall easy to be around and work with. I just feel that if us musicians continue to let people take advantage of us, in any way not just this topic, there is no doubt it will keep happening. And why not? If no one rocks the boat it will just be business as usual. But I truly believe change for the better is always possible in any situation no matter how unlikely it may seem!
Problem with you and your posts and I actually genuinely don't believe you intend to do it, is you are demonising, and belittling, drummers who just get up and get on with the gig without pissing and whining about it.

It's in the language man.

And it's pressing people's buttons. Self-righteous little spats such as "as long as you have drummers that are willing to undercut those that are standing for whats right it will never change". Standing for what's right? What the hell does that mean? You mean standing for what YOU think is right. Don't presume to think that YOUR idea of right is everybody's idea of right, the punters, the venue owners, singers, guitarists, drummers. I tell my band "hey guys I'm not playing this gig...I don't like the kit" they get themselves a new drummer. Period. But I wouldn't do that. Only a bell-end (in my humble opinion) would. But that doesn't make me right and you wrong, or vice versa. It just means we have different opinions and attitude t'wards the subject.

It's really quite irritating. And I think that's partly the reason people have got a bit hot under the collar with you.

Your attitude is all wrong on this....and it's been perfectly evident right through the thread. You have had numerous drummers come on to say "hold there....you're wrong on this". You dismiss them all as being somehow inferior because of their can do attitude to gigs and a little bit of adversity.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Everyone?

Would "everyone" include those pesky punters...y'know the reason you're acshly playing?

"Hey, let's go to the Slug and Lettuce...I see they've got 4 bands playing tonight!"

"Nahhhhh....stuff that! I'd rather go to the Drunk Skunk. They've got 2 bands playing...so that's twice as good!"
Those club/venue owners eh, wanting to fill the club by putting four bands on rather than half filling the club putting two bands on.

Complete and utter bastards they are. No respect for drummers
Old 03-25-2015, 01:28 PM

The borrowed guitar comparisons being made aren't even in the ballpark. Guitars are all built the same for the most part. No one is gonna hand you a 3 string guitar to replace your six. The worst that can happen is you don't have the same position switch or pickups. But if you're Neal peart and you're stuck with a 5 piece, certainly you can make it work but it'll impact the musically significsntly.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patz View Post
The borrowed guitar comparisons being made aren't even in the ballpark. Guitars are all built the same for the most part. No one is gonna hand you a 3 string guitar to replace your six. The worst that can happen is you don't have the same position switch or pickups. But if you're Neal peart and you're stuck with a 5 piece, certainly you can make it work but it'll impact the musically significsntly.
The only reason the guitar example fails, is, once again, and someone on here completely fails to get this into there head, TIME!!!!! A guitarist can walk on stage plug in and is ready to go, 10 seconds tops, thats why they dont need to use a supplied guitar.

And..... we have already agreed, a number of times, we would all love to use our own kits, all the time, but sometimes its not possible, so the more, how shal I say, adaptable among us, make the best of it and enjoy the gig without whinging.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You don't think they all have a different feel, shape, weight, different tuning, different amps, different pedals ?

A half decent guitarist would still make it work. But it's not even an issue because of practicalities.

A half decent drummer can play a one up one down kit with two cymbals for prog rock without it having any seriously detrimental effect on the overall music. Absolute fact because I've seen it done in practice.

We ran a charity gigathon about 2 years back. 5 bands. My mates band agreed to play it. Signed prog-rock. Drummer used something like a 2,765 piece electronic Roland kit (I exaggerate but it seemed that way). At least six, maybe even 7 toms.

I discussed it with him..."man, we got a problem, we can't set that damn thing up. And others will struggle to use it".

"no problem...I'll use yours".

(Mines a one up one down Gretsch Mod)

"you sure?"

"course...it's your charity gig mate."

Then of course to compound that, he's a bloody leftie.

He just got the hell damn well on with it. And played superbly and beautifully. And they sounded superb. The gig was a success. Everyone made it work.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquadLeader View Post
You dismiss them all as being somehow inferior because of their can do attitude to gigs and a little bit of adversity.
I have a foot in both camps here. A "little bit of adversity" is part of the landscape, but outright extremes are another matter, that's just a lack of professionalism on the part of someone, & that I will always fight against.

A sub par kit (i.e. battered heads, poor tuning, lacklustre hardware, number / sizes of drums, etc) is something you work around if necessary, but an utter piece of crap that's falling to pieces, or a kit that's set up in extreme positions but cannot be adjusted (that goes for lefties too) is unacceptable. Ok, when faced with the extremes, if the gig is worth the effort, you run with it. If not, you bail. Judge "worth the effort" on whatever basis applies to you (earning necessity, bandmates needs, band / personal reputation, promotional opportunity, etc).
Old 03-25-2015, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
But if you're Neal peart and you're stuck with a 5 piece, certainly you can make it work but it'll impact the musically significsntly.
Yeah. I'll just bet a player of his ability wouldn't have the musicality or creative foresight to make a snare, kick and hi hat work for him.

Turn it up! He'd still shake your tree if you gave him a friggen' cardboard box and asked him to tap along to a Rush gig.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Yeah. I'll just bet a player of his ability wouldn't have the musicality or creative foresight to make a snare, kick and hi hat work for him.

Turn it up! He'd still shake your tree if you gave him a friggen' cardboard box and asked him to tap along to a Rush gig.
Too right.

I've seen street drummers in Manchester (they play just near where I get a tram), carry.....CARRY....their kit to their patch and play as well, if not better, than most drummers I've heard on the circuit (including myself), including established drummers in large, well-respected bands.

Not hard to play better than me mind...I've heard 2 year old infants having a tantrum bash things around in a more creative way :-)

Last edited by SquadLeader; 03-25-2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Maybe I will. If so you will always be able to use your own gear at my place! But like I said, if all drummers were to band together and refuse to be treated with disrespect by the owners etc of these venues and stopped playing said venues until things changed then then we would actually see change because they would have no bands to play. No bands equals no money. Thats when change will happen. But as long as you have drummers that are willing to undercut those that are standing for whats right it wil never change. And that just makes it hard on every musician in the long run as we will continue to be at the mercy of the venue owners and staff.

With all that said Im sure that there are still some of us, I hope the vast majority of us, out here that will go above and beyond to stand our ground for what we feel is right. We may not get fair treatment 100 percent of the time. And sadly we may have to deal with a crappy kit now and then. But at least it will be known that we stand up for ourselves, in a respectful manner I might add, and we dont just go along with whatever anyone tells us to just so we don't make waves. I just think so many drummers are so used to being treated like crap that we don't even bat an eye when it happens.

I really do go out of my way to be friendly, accommodating and overall easy to be around and work with. I just feel that if us musicians continue to let people take advantage of us, in any way not just this topic, there is no doubt it will keep happening. And why not? If no one rocks the boat it will just be business as usual. But I truly believe change for the better is always possible in any situation no matter how unlikely it may seem!
Well Said!!! I'm with you.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You don't think they all have a different feel, shape, weight, different tuning, different amps, different pedals ?

A half decent guitarist would still make it work. But it's not even an issue because of practicalities.

A half decent drummer can play a one up one down kit with two cymbals for prog rock without it having any seriously detrimental effect on the overall music. Absolute fact because I've seen it done in practice.

We ran a charity gigathon about 2 years back. 5 bands. My mates band agreed to play it. Signed prog-rock. Drummer used something like a 2,765 piece electronic Roland kit (I exaggerate but it seemed that way). At least six, maybe even 7 toms.

I discussed it with him..."man, we got a problem, we can't set that damn thing up. And others will struggle to use it".

"no problem...I'll use yours".

(Mines a one up one down Gretsch Mod)

"you sure?"

"course...it's your charity gig mate."

Then of course to compound that, he's a bloody leftie.

He just got the hell damn well on with it. And played superbly and beautifully. And they sounded superb. The gig was a success. Everyone made it work.
I'll reaffirm my stance..guitars are all the same. 6 strings and no more than a few frets difference. Shape and weight should be a non-factor. Adjust the strap and go for it. Amps are all easily set to the desired spots fairly quickly. I doubt anyone shares a pedal board much but if someone experienced with a board was told where the distortion and delay were, it would be fine.

And I agree wholeheartedly that a drummer should be able to make it work. I can do any of my songs on a smaller or larger kit, but I use a pretty basic setup and I don't get overly fancy. I really was just making the point that although someone like Peart clearly is capable of making something smaller work, it would still have a significant effect on what he's created with his normal setup. Would it sound bad? Of course not, but it wouldn't sound the same. Some people take their art more seriously. I don't.

And I'm not defending the OP's desire to only play on his own kit. It's unrealistic, and I actually think kit sharing would be a fun challenge. I've never done it, but I do play on 3 different kits every week and they range from crap to ok to really nice. One of my toms floats around during songs and occasionally one of the hihat stands will break loose, but I deal with it. If all else fails, keep time somewhere and ride it out.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post

Of course he can.lol. I said it would impact the music. His piece of art would not be the same. A guitarist still has 6 strings and 22+ frets to work with.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'll reaffirm my stance..guitars are all the same. 6 strings and no more than a few frets difference. Shape and weight should be a non-factor. Adjust the strap and go for it. Amps are all easily set to the desired spots fairly quickly. I doubt anyone shares a pedal board much but if someone experienced with a board was told where the distortion and delay were, it would be fine.
Totally wrong, with respect.

You could also say that every pool cue is the same, every tennis racket is the same, every violin is the same.

Yet pros will spend thousands to have the right shape, and weight. And they'll carefully protect that piece of kit for likely the rest of their life? Why is that? Just sentimentality?

Every guitar is the same just like every 16" floor tom is the same. Or every 14" snare. You persuade Guru that their hand made snares are the same as a Pearl snare of the same dimensions
Old 03-25-2015, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You persuade Guru that their hand made snares are the same as a Pearl snare of the same dimensions
Damn! We've been busted. Our rebadging scam didn't fool you eh! ;)
Old 03-25-2015, 07:47 PM

Well DMan I guess you have your answer. For some, it's every band for themselves. GIG at any cost and shame anyone who say's "hey, wait a minute".

And, due to the seemingly endless repetition of judgmental insults "from a select few" and since there seems to be no further meeting of minds, I suggest you reply to them no further. Their arguments ended when they started the insults (and you took the high road). Good for you. You have my respect. Rant over.

Now, to the many that had good and helpful things to say, I say thanks. I always enjoy the conversation and debate. Your ideas are helpful to me. I'm still learning and listening and your experience really matters to me. See you on other threads. :)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
Well DMan I guess you have your answer. For some, it's every band for themselves. GIG at any cost and shame anyone who say's "hey, wait a minute".

And, due to the seemingly endless repetition of judgmental insults "from a select few" and since there seems to be no further meeting of minds, I suggest you reply to them no further. Their arguments ended when they started the insults (and you took the high road). Good for you. You have my respect. Rant over.

Now, to the many that had good and helpful things to say, I say thanks. I always enjoy the conversation and debate. Your ideas are helpful to me. I'm still learning and listening and your experience really matters to me. See you on other threads. :)
Climb down off your high horse feller. It's debate. And your pal has dished out a reasonable amount of 'judgemental insult' as you put it, and ironically so have you.

All in all it was reasonably respectful throughout. It got a bit prickly but we're all adults and no-one swore at anyone else.

All's I'll say is maybe, just maybe, you two are actually wrong on this.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

& next time you want to share my kit, don't even think about asking to adjust it. I like it exactly how it is ;)
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Another way to say 'infinity flexible' is 'lacking internal integrity'.

Get your gigs contracted...refuse drum equipment share riders....otherwise your work on the music can be for not.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post

Im with you man. Thanks for the kind words :-)

No matter what negative things have been said to me I hold no Ill will towards anyone. I just agree to disagree. I've just taken a stance on these issues in the way I see things to be. However someone wants to handle a situation is up to them. Its not like Im going to go up to them on the gig, or anywhere else, and start bagging on them. Ill just roll with things my way and they can roll with things their way. But no matter what God bless em. I wish them the best!

And just for the record, my internet has never been to demonize or belittle anyone here that I disagree with. I just wanted to let everyone know that.

Last edited by drummingman; 03-25-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
& next time you want to share my kit, don't even think about asking to adjust it. I like it exactly how it is ;)
Looks like a Gumtree ad
Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Im with you man. Thanks for the kind words :-)

No matter what negative things have been said to me I hold no Ill will towards anyone. I just agree to disagree. I've just taken a stance on these issues in the way I see things to be. However someone wants to handle a situation is up to them. Its not like Im going to go up to them on the gig, or anywhere else, and start bagging on them. Ill just roll with things my way and they can roll with things their way. But no matter what God bless em. I wish them the best!

And just for the record, my internet has never been to demonize or belittle anyone here that I disagree with. I just wanted to let everyone know that.
Back at ya for my part.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Back at ya for my part.
Thanks! I wish you the best man :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:36 PM
Gold Member

Here is a point I think you are missing.

"If I am told that I have to use someone elses kit and me and my band feel the gig is not worth the trouble then we will decline the gig."

Using another kit is so much trouble you would turn down the gig? I just did a gig this past weekend and used a shared kit. The only things on it that were in a spot I am used to is the bass drum, snare, hi hat, one tom and one crash. Guess what I used the most?

And add to it that you were complimented on your playing so you are wicked upset over a personal preference, not anything that had to do with the reason you're there, your music. It rings shallow.

I do understand the confusion causing you to begin the night upset. But seriously the music is important and if you get to play in front of people that is a great thing. Enjoy it by not letting secondary issues ruin it for you.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

I love it when there's a backline kit. Means I don't have to haul/setup/breakdown/haul my own gear. Maybe I'm just way lazier than the rest of you.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

I'm ok with sharing a kit a gig. I can swing it on most kits with no problem.

That said, I did once have to put the hustle on a clueless promoter that tried to get 4 bands to share a kit at a larger gig. A little smooth talk and the promise of a quick teardown will get you very far. More bees with honey.

As promised, I was off the stage within 5 minutes for the other band to setup. If that gig got off schedule it wasn't because of me.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 03-25-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
I love it when there's a backline kit. Means I don't have to haul/setup/breakdown/haul my own gear. Maybe I'm just way lazier than the rest of you.
I'm the exact same way! It means I have to haul less and spend less time setting up! And saves some wear and tear on my kit! As long as you can configure the kit in a way that is semi easy to adjust to. Like Drummingman, I too would be frustrated to jump on a kit where I couldn't access the bell of the ride, be able to move toms/cymbals because of memory clamps, etc...
Old 03-25-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Not to be a complete jerk, but you don't know much about guitars, do you? One clear cut issue with this is that not all guitars have 6 strings. Plenty of bands play with either 7 or 8 string guitars now. It's not uncommon at all actually. It's similar to a drummer having very specific parts that are carried with double bass and the backline kit having a single bass drum and single pedal. Yes, it could work in theory, but it wouldn't make any sense and would greatly impact the music. Not to beat a dead horse here.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

And I agree wholeheartedly that a drummer should be able to make it work. I can do any of my songs on a smaller or larger kit, but I use a pretty basic setup and I don't get overly fancy. I really was just making the point that although someone like Peart clearly is capable of making something smaller work, it would still have a significant effect on what he's created with his normal setup. Would it sound bad? Of course not, but it wouldn't sound the same. Some people take their art more seriously. I don't.

And I'm not defending the OP's desire to only play on his own kit. It's unrealistic, and I actually think kit sharing would be a fun challenge. I've never done it, but I do play on 3 different kits every week and they range from crap to ok to really nice. One of my toms floats around during songs and occasionally one of the hihat stands will break loose, but I deal with it. If all else fails, keep time somewhere and ride it out.
I own quite a few guitars.

I can assure you they're all very, very different. You have no idea what you're talking about.

That's a side issue though.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobDB View Post
Not to be a complete jerk, but you don't know much about guitars, do you? One clear cut issue with this is that not all guitars have 6 strings. Plenty of bands play with either 7 or 8 string guitars now. It's not uncommon at all actually. It's similar to a drummer having very specific parts that are carried with double bass and the backline kit having a single bass drum and single pedal. Yes, it could work in theory, but it wouldn't make any sense and would greatly impact the music. Not to beat a dead horse here.
I had absolutely no idea that you could get 7 and 8 string guitars.

That's bloody interesting is that.

Mind you, my mate on guitar struggles with 6 quite enough :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 PM
Platinum Member

Those of you who have been saying all guitars are the same may want to consider some of the ways in which 6 string guitars differ:

Differences in feel:
Radius of the neck
Fingerboard material
Fret height and thickness
Action (distance between strings and fingerboard)
Gauge of strings (heavy vs. light)

Differences in Construction:
Solid vs. hollow vs. semi-hollow body
Weight
Shape
Number of pickups
Pickup type - single coil vs. humbucker

The irony is that despite the portability of guitars, a guitarist can and will pick up another, potentially very different guitar to her own and be able play the song of their choice.

When you can carry your drum kit over your shoulder, then you can always insist on playing your own kit.

TBH, I really don't get what all the foot stomping, hair tossing and pouting is all about.

You want to play drums live, play drums.

You want to have everything absolutely controlled? Stay at home and make youtube covers.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:56 AM

I actually feel pretty good when I do a kit share gig and manage to make a decent job of it. Makes me feel proud. Best gig I've ever played was on a shared kit, the cymbals were so high I nearly had to stand up to reach them, and the floor tom was so low I missed it the first couple of attempts (and then when I hit it, it felt like banging into a bowl of custard the head was so loose).

I did my first ever audition at a studio with a house kit. (And I got the gig).

But hey, each to his own. As someone else has said, there's no right or wrong, we can all make our own rules for what we want to do and don't want to do, and where we will or won't play.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzDrummer View Post
I'm the exact same way! It means I have to haul less and spend less time setting up! And saves some wear and tear on my kit! As long as you can configure the kit in a way that is semi easy to adjust to.
Yeah, less wear and tear on my gear is a positive I've considered as well. For backline gigs, I bring my stick bag, cymbal bag, throne, snare, and kick pedal as these are the only critical things I would imagine swapping out. I've only ever used my own pedal and sticks though. All the backline or house kits I've used have been good enough to pretty darn nice. I think it also helps that I'm a small-kit player anyway, so as long as the key pieces are in place, I'm pretty good to go.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:33 AM

Wow, reading all the posts it is clear a nerve was struck.

I would always rather use my kit. I play in a cover band, so we don't do as many multi-band gigs as the original music bands. Occasionally we will do a benefit for charity where there is one kit, and I make the best of it. Sometimes it's fun because the supplied kit will have something cool that mine does not. Sometimes the setup is weird to me and I have to deal with it.

What is kind of funny is that we all debate which brand/wood/acrylic shell/series/suspension mount/head/cymbal etc..etc.. is best, and some really have strong opinions on what they want or like best, and then the opportunity to play in front of a crowd comes and you don't get to use all this awesome gear that you put so much thought and money into.

I do have a gig coming up in April where I have to use someone else's kit. I plan on contacting the other drummer to touch base and bring my own seat, pedal, snare, and cymbals. It is only one set and close to home, so I am hoping to have fun- after all if you are playing the drums- how bad can it be?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron s View Post
What is kind of funny is that we all debate which brand/wood/acrylic shell/series/suspension mount/head/cymbal etc..etc.. is best, and some really have strong opinions on what they want or like best, and then the opportunity to play in front of a crowd comes and you don't get to use all this awesome gear that you put so much thought and money into.
Yeah, good point, but it's a double-edged sword. Since I put so much time/work/research/money/etc into my kit, I'm not too keen on bringing it to a dive bar gig where there's a not-so-remote chance of beer getting spilled on it or some other mishap. On the other hand, in a nice venue in front of a large audience, it would be nice to have my "signature" kit on stage rather than a backline kit. But I think not having to haul my gear will be consolation enough for me in those situations.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron s View Post

?
That's actually a pretty fair point.

Personally, I don't give a toss about any/all of the above which perhaps colours my thinking. But yeah, good point well made.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy View Post
I actually feel pretty good when I do a kit share gig and manage to make a decent job of it. Makes me feel proud. Best gig I've ever played was on a shared kit, the cymbals were so high I nearly had to stand up to reach them, and the floor tom was so low I missed it the first couple of attempts (and then when I hit it, it felt like banging into a bowl of custard the head was so loose).

I did my first ever audition at a studio with a house kit. (And I got the gig).

But hey, each to his own. As someone else has said, there's no right or wrong, we can all make our own rules for what we want to do and don't want to do, and where we will or won't play.
Total mixed bag for me. I've played on some beautiful kits. One of them I specifically asked the owner how he got his toms sounding so beautiful and thanked him for letting me use them. Then there was Huddersfield
Old 03-26-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobDB View Post
I play guitar and grew up in a house full of them. I had a nice long, likely boring response, but I really hate never ending back and forth discussion on the Internet. If I was having this chat in person I'd have already gotten bored with it, karate kicked the air for no other reason than to look like the village idiot that I aspire to be, and found something else to appease my ADD brain. I respect your and everyone else on the Internet's opinion. We can disagree. It's what makes the world beautiful.