DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 02-21-2015, 04:44 PM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,500
Default Drummers you thought sucked,but...

turned out to be fairly good technically.

I remember seeing Dave Grohl(basher) and Karen Carpenter(pretty,but no talent) play and saying what a waste.

Then saw Grohl and Carpenter on YouTube clips and went whoa,they have decent chops.

Anybody you have second thoughts on?
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2015, 05:11 PM
Ghostnote
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Can't think of any drummers, but I went to a Chicken Foot show with Michael Anthony on bass and he was killer. Never know it listening to VH albums.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2015, 07:24 PM
Brian Brian is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New England
Posts: 1,392
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Karen Carpenter had great chops! Jim Gordon was another star-crossed drummer from that era that doesn't get the name recognition in this era, but had some ridiculous facility/chops/discipline that many drummers don't know about.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2015, 09:43 PM
barryabko's Avatar
barryabko barryabko is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 329
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Karen was a terrific drummer! Even though she was one of the most popular female pop singers she thought of herself as a drummer first.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2015, 02:08 AM
tamadrm tamadrm is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 5,819
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
turned out to be fairly good technically.

I remember seeing Dave Grohl(basher) and Karen Carpenter(pretty,but no talent) play and saying what a waste.

Then saw Grohl and Carpenter on YouTube clips and went whoa,they have decent chops.

Anybody you have second thoughts on?
Karen Carpenter.......no talent?..Are you smoking rubber bands? Forget chops,she had a great voice as well,and by all definitions,was an excellent musician as well.I'm not a big Carpenters fan,but give the lady her due.

Steve B
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2015, 02:57 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
Karen Carpenter.......no talent?..Are you smoking rubber bands? Forget chops,she had a great voice as well,and by all definitions,was an excellent musician as well.I'm not a big Carpenters fan,but give the lady her due.

Steve B
You misunderstood the point,seeing her drum at the time back in the 70's on TV seemed like she was a made up pop diva like so many others.

I caught her special on You Tube and saw her really play and went OK,she's not just another pretty face.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:39 AM
The SunDog
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

I entertain a lot of links via this forum. The standard run of the mill "i play along with" kind of crap. Mostly they suck. When I was very young and equally ignorant I couldn't tell a good drummer from an over produced hack. So yes, there are drummers I thought sucked who were/are very good......and vice versa.

Last edited by The SunDog; 02-22-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-22-2015, 06:22 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The SunDog View Post
I entertain a lot of links via this forum. The standard run of the mill "i play along with" kind of crap. Mostly they suck. When I was very young and equally ignorant I couldn't tell a good drummer from an over produced hack. So yes, there are drummers I thought sucked who were/are very good......and vice versa.
I once thought that Peter Criss was a petty good drummer.

But after reading an interview with Gene Simmons and watching a couple of videos of Kiss while straight,he's not all that good.

Turns out a lot of sound effects, lights and mind altering substances inflated my opinion of him.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-22-2015, 05:33 PM
uniongoon's Avatar
uniongoon uniongoon is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: caesarea over looking the lake southern ontario
Posts: 1,370
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

I have seen some really bad drummers, but they had better gigs than me.
__________________
See my Signia's
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73869
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM
DPTrainor DPTrainor is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 116
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

When I was young, I actually thought Ringo, Helms, Watts and Moon were lousy drummers. Oh my, I was so so ignorant. Well trained, but ignorant non the less. Years later I finally had a more informed frame of reference of music and understand now their brilliance and high musical talent. Today, I am still inspired by their musical depth and still learn from their example.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-22-2015, 06:54 PM
coolhand1969's Avatar
coolhand1969 coolhand1969 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 310
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

When I first started to play, back in the mid 80's, I was clueless. I thought Artemis Pyle was good and Steve Smith and Phil Collins were average. Got that one wrong.
__________________
Pearl Exports/Forums
Ludwig Vistalites
Paiste Alphas/2002's/PST5
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-22-2015, 09:47 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,266
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

I dont think any drummers suck. If you are a drummer you get my respect.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-23-2015, 05:15 PM
Pachikara-Tharakan's Avatar
Pachikara-Tharakan Pachikara-Tharakan is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, Germany
Posts: 560
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I dont think any drummers suck. If you are a drummer you get my respect.
my thoughts too bro.....all drummers are unique in my opinion...their own personality....the most unique was Moonie...which can be detected easily.... :)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-23-2015, 06:16 PM
MikeM's Avatar
MikeM MikeM is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 5,438
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

When I was a teen, Phil Rudd was the easy target. Now when I listen back to him all I hear is his massive pocket and wonder how I could have ever missed it. I think my epiphany with him came when Chris Slade replaced him the first time. He's great too, but it didn't have that signature feel.
__________________
My kit: It's not just good, it's good enough.

My Band
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-2015, 04:13 AM
coolhand1969's Avatar
coolhand1969 coolhand1969 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 310
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
When I was a teen, Phil Rudd was the easy target. Now when I listen back to him all I hear is his massive pocket and wonder how I could have ever missed it. I think my epiphany with him came when Chris Slade replaced him the first time. He's great too, but it didn't have that signature feel.
Totally agree. Drummers, on this forum, often suggest AC/DC songs as easy to play. True, Rudd has never even heard of a fill, but to lay it down, with the feeling he has is not easy. Charlie Watts is another one, sure his playing is not cluttered, but I have heard good drummers butcher Stones songs because they do not get it.
__________________
Pearl Exports/Forums
Ludwig Vistalites
Paiste Alphas/2002's/PST5
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-2015, 05:54 AM
DrumEatDrum's Avatar
DrumEatDrum DrumEatDrum is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,426
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Not sucked, but perhaps didn't get as much until later.

Dave Ghrol: When Nirvana got big, I didn't get what the big deal was and certainly didn't get why everyone was calling Ghrol such a great drummer. Competent, solid, right for the band, sure, but not great. But over time hearing/seeing what he's done with the Foo's, and various other projects, I get it now. And I even (somewhat reluctantly) admit he's influenced my playing.

Chad Smith. Again, competent, and right for the Peppers. Good player, but not quite the great some make him out to be. I didn't get why he was getting hired for so much session work, and why so many hold him in such high regard. Then I saw him live at one of the Bonham tribute shows. He came out and played Achilles Last Stand, and just rocked it, and played with so much confidence and energy, and yet barely broke a sweat. And I realize, yes, if I were hiring a drummer for a rock session, thats exactly what I'd want.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-2015, 08:31 AM
lefty2's Avatar
lefty2 lefty2 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: I live in near Wichita, Kansas U.S.A
Posts: 2,336
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

I thought John Bonham didn't know how to play the drums right, when Black Dog came out. I was only about twelve then, so I didn't have much sense. Come to think about it, I still don't have much sense.
__________________
Tama SC performer 2003 5pc.
Yamaha PTC 1988 5pc.
Zildjian A, K
Sabian AA,AAX,HH,
Paiste Sig.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-2015, 12:12 PM
mikyok's Avatar
mikyok mikyok is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Tipton in the mighty Black Country
Posts: 1,967
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Karen Carpenter is one I'd say I never thought could play but that's just ignorance and only listening to the voice.

Some of the old clips put up on youtube give her the credit she deserves. Plus when you listen to some Carpenters tracks you here little things on the drums in there and think yeah that's cool.

The dude from Animals as Leaders as well, from the recordings they sound so programmed but he pulls it off live. It's drumming by maths rather than feel and it spins you out trying to think about it.

I saw Carl Palmer with Asia and I knew he was top drawer and so is his family as I studied under his brother Steve for a year but hands down this guy is the best I've seen live. Not old enough to see Buddy Rich, he last played in Wolves in 1984 and I'd have been 10 months old.

I've seen people I've really rated disappoint live. Mike Portnoy being the main one the first time I saw DT I could see down the side of the kit and check his hands and feet and it wasn't as good as I thought it would be but I still love his playing on the albums up to Octavarium, very well thought out parts.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Naigewron's Avatar
Naigewron Naigewron is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bergen, Norway
Posts: 2,304
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
Can't think of any drummers, but I went to a Chicken Foot show with Michael Anthony on bass and he was killer. Never know it listening to VH albums.
Few guys can hold down those pounding 4th/8th/16th note chugging bass line grooves like Michael Anthony. Before Sammy Hagar replaced David Lee Roth, he was also by far the best singer in the band.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-2015, 05:29 PM
single-ply single-ply is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 224
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

I used to think Don Henley was sub-par when I was a kid. After years of overplaying I began to realize just how hard it is to play sparingly, and in service to the song. He may not be a technical wizard, but who cares. His playing is perfect for the music he plays.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-24-2015, 09:08 PM
barryabko's Avatar
barryabko barryabko is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 329
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Some of the old clips put up on youtube give her the credit she deserves. Plus when you listen to some Carpenters tracks you here little things on the drums in there and think yeah that's cool.
Just to clarify: The drummer on almost all of the Carpenters' studio tracks was the great Hal Blaine.

There are many clips on a YouTube of Karen playing live in which she showed her drumming skills.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-24-2015, 10:25 PM
Winegums's Avatar
Winegums Winegums is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 730
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by single-ply View Post
I used to think Don Henley was sub-par when I was a kid. After years of overplaying I began to realize just how hard it is to play sparingly, and in service to the song. He may not be a technical wizard, but who cares. His playing is perfect for the music he plays.
I thought this too then I realized that he's also singing while playing. If he played anything more it would intrude on the guitar sound which is such a key part of the Eagles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naigewron View Post
Few guys can hold down those pounding 4th/8th/16th note chugging bass line grooves like Michael Anthony. Before Sammy Hagar replaced David Lee Roth, he was also by far the best singer in the band.
Watching a Chicken Foot concert made me realize how much of a team Mike and Sammy are on vocals. They're both amazing and I definitely have to get tickets next time they're in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-24-2015, 11:49 PM
newoldie's Avatar
newoldie newoldie is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 719
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

[quote=barryabko;1331741]Just to clarify: The drummer on almost all of the Carpenters' studio tracks was the great Hal Blaine.

Yes- this is so well known now and documented. For years, I thought it was Karen until the internet opened my eyes about the Wrecking Crew and Hal's studio work.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-24-2015, 11:51 PM
newoldie's Avatar
newoldie newoldie is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 719
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by single-ply View Post
I used to think Don Henley was sub-par when I was a kid. After years of overplaying I began to realize just how hard it is to play sparingly, and in service to the song. He may not be a technical wizard, but who cares. His playing is perfect for the music he plays.
Henley is indeed a groove wizard for The Eagles' songs.
I often listen and play the game of 'what would I play' in a particular transition or fill. I always lose that game :)
If I think there should be more, Henley played less; I think there should be less, Henley accentuates better. I try to keep that in mind when performing Eagle covers.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-25-2015, 12:53 AM
coolhand1969's Avatar
coolhand1969 coolhand1969 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 310
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Not sucked, but perhaps didn't get as much until later.

Dave Ghrol: When Nirvana got big, I didn't get what the big deal was and certainly didn't get why everyone was calling Ghrol such a great drummer. Competent, solid, right for the band, sure, but not great. But over time hearing/seeing what he's done with the Foo's, and various other projects, I get it now. And I even (somewhat reluctantly) admit he's influenced my playing.

Chad Smith. Again, competent, and right for the Peppers. Good player, but not quite the great some make him out to be. I didn't get why he was getting hired for so much session work, and why so many hold him in such high regard. Then I saw him live at one of the Bonham tribute shows. He came out and played Achilles Last Stand, and just rocked it, and played with so much confidence and energy, and yet barely broke a sweat. And I realize, yes, if I were hiring a drummer for a rock session, thats exactly what I'd want.
Chad Smith really impressed me with Achilles Last Stand also. I knew he was a solid drummer, though not a Chili Peppers fan, but he really brought the power in that performance.
__________________
Pearl Exports/Forums
Ludwig Vistalites
Paiste Alphas/2002's/PST5
Vater 2B
Hardware Assorted
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-25-2015, 01:08 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,131
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

I never thought Ringo sucked at all, but there was a point where I thought he could have done certain things better....until I tried to play the parts I wanted to hear and realized how much they detracted. It was then that my regard of Ringo's playing....mainly because of his intelligent playing choices, began increasing. Among many, many other things, the guy knew what to avoid, and that's really important for the song's sake.
__________________
Levis/Hanes/Timberlands/Custom made socks
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-25-2015, 02:37 PM
steadypocket steadypocket is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Rich Redmond, drummer for Jason Aldean. Not that I thought he "sucked" but I let his animated gyrations behind the kit prevent me from fully appreciating what a monster player he is. While most of us could play the songs he does with Aldean, we can't play the songs like this cat. He's a schooled drummer who can play anything superbly. Super talent with great energy.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-25-2015, 03:51 PM
davidbehrens3.14 davidbehrens3.14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 149
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Phil Collins. Initially, I assumed he would be a showy, sub-par singer-drummer, but as it turns out, he is quite talented in both respects. His drumming and backup vocals on the album "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" are amazing. Also, his work with Brand X and some other bands is quite good.
__________________
It's not about your part... It's about what you're a part of.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Red Menace's Avatar
Red Menace Red Menace is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 2,809
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

I never liked that Bo Eder guy. I mean, sure he's a good drummer, not like that kid from Whiplash or anything, but he is a really negative fellow. You'd think someone with all those drums would smile more. :-D
__________________
Classy grip all day.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 PM
barryabko's Avatar
barryabko barryabko is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 329
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbehrens3.14 View Post
Phil Collins. Initially, I assumed he would be a showy, sub-par singer-drummer, but as it turns out, he is quite talented in both respects. His drumming and backup vocals on the album "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway" are amazing. Also, his work with Brand X and some other bands is quite good.
Also, listen to Watcher of the Skies.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-25-2015, 07:44 PM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I never thought Ringo sucked at all, but there was a point where I thought he could have done certain things better....until I tried to play the parts I wanted to hear and realized how much they detracted. It was then that my regard of Ringo's playing....mainly because of his intelligent playing choices, began increasing. Among many, many other things, the guy knew what to avoid, and that's really important for the song's sake.
Ringo is OK,but I don't get the feet worship of folks thinking Charlie Watts is great.
To me, Charlie does indeed suck.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-25-2015, 08:36 PM
JustJames's Avatar
JustJames JustJames is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Ringo is OK,but I don't get the feet worship of folks thinking Charlie Watts is great.
To me, Charlie does indeed suck.
Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGyOaCXr8Lw
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-25-2015, 09:14 PM
mikel mikel is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Midlands. England.
Posts: 2,266
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
Ringo is OK,but I don't get the feet worship of folks thinking Charlie Watts is great.
To me, Charlie does indeed suck.
Troll alert.

Charlie is not a flash or a technical drummer, but to claim he sucks, meaning his drumming does not fit the song, Is just pathetic. If you realy believe your own post I would suggest you are not a drummer, just a lurker.

Get real, the Stone can, and could, have any drummer they want and they chose Mr Watts. I wonder why?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:33 AM
pgm554's Avatar
pgm554 pgm554 is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 1,500
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Troll alert.

Charlie is not a flash or a technical drummer, but to claim he sucks, meaning his drumming does not fit the song, Is just pathetic. If you realy believe your own post I would suggest you are not a drummer, just a lurker.

Get real, the Stone can, and could, have any drummer they want and they chose Mr Watts. I wonder why?
>the Stone can, and could, have any drummer they want

Everybody has their price.

The Stones are an institution and living proof you do not need much musical talent in the music BUSINESS ,only good management and a good image.

Milli Vanilli proves the point.
__________________
Pearl MCX Gretsch Renown and many many Fibes snares.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-26-2015, 12:36 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 11,356
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm554 View Post
The Stones are an institution and living proof you do not need much talent in the music BUSINESS ,only good management and a good image.

Milli Vanilli proves the point.
I referred you back to 4 humble little albums last time you called their musicianship into the question. I can only take it you've never given them fair hearing. You wouldn't be trying to draw a parallel between Milli Vanilli and The Stones if you had.

Last edited by Pocket-full-of-gold; 02-26-2015 at 01:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 AM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPTrainor View Post
When I was young, I actually thought Ringo, Helms, Watts and Moon were lousy drummers. Oh my, I was so so ignorant. Well trained, but ignorant non the less. Years later I finally had a more informed frame of reference of music and understand now their brilliance and high musical talent. Today, I am still inspired by their musical depth and still learn from their example.
I still think Keith Moon was lousy and I've never seen or heard anything to address my misgivings even though I accept that I am probably misguided given by the number of top drummers who rave about him.

Saw a Who video on TV the other evening. Live in Texas. Awful. Just absolutely awful. Overplayed. All over the place timewise. Clearly and blatantly misplayed certain parts.

I shall keep on looking for examples to prove myself wrong.
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-26-2015, 10:47 AM
SquadLeader's Avatar
SquadLeader SquadLeader is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Near Manchester, Great Britain
Posts: 1,306
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Troll alert.

Charlie is not a flash or a technical drummer, but to claim he sucks, meaning his drumming does not fit the song, Is just pathetic. If you realy believe your own post I would suggest you are not a drummer, just a lurker.

Get real, the Stone can, and could, have any drummer they want and they chose Mr Watts. I wonder why?
It's all about opinions, and because someone doesn't share your's doesn't bring THEIR drumming credentials into question.

In answer to your final question. Maybe they're really good friends. Or maybe, like the Smiths, the head honchos were ripping the drummer off all the years they were together. Who knows.

Personally I quite like CW. Horses for courses. Not a Stones fan though. Bleurgh. But clearly enough are to suggest that they had something good going on.
__________________
I lost my bag at Newport Pagnell.....
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-26-2015, 02:09 PM
StaggerLee StaggerLee is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: maldon, essex
Posts: 851
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Ringo. i was young and jumped on the hate bandwagon.Then tried doing a lot of his stuff and a combination of left hand lead drum rolls and some actually tight playing makes him a hugely underrated and rather technical drummer.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-26-2015, 02:44 PM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,155
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Troll alert.

Charlie is not a flash or a technical drummer, but to claim he sucks, meaning his drumming does not fit the song, Is just pathetic. If you realy believe your own post I would suggest you are not a drummer, just a lurker.

Get real, the Stone can, and could, have any drummer they want and they chose Mr Watts. I wonder why?
Probably because he sucks! The Stones were all sucking in the 70's.

(What a douche, eh?)
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-26-2015, 03:30 PM
steadypocket steadypocket is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, MD
Posts: 1,005
Default Re: Drummers you thought sucked,but...

The older I get the more my perspective changes. I once thought greatness equated to technical proficiency. Not too long ago I felt that Ringo was a mediocre drummer at Best (see what I did there?), simply in the right place in the right time, with the right image. Many of us can play Rings (on a roll) around Ringo, but we'll never achieve what he did. His playing and unorthodox fills were perfect for the songs--songs which formed the soundtrack of countless lives. Simon Phillips, a superior drummer to Ringo in just about every metric, and probably my favorite drummer ever, would have surely made those songs sound great. Wouldn't have sounded like Ringo though.

Moonie? It obviously wasn't his timekeeping that made him a great drummer. He was the right player for that band, in that time, however. His crazy, unorthodox, over the top busy playing made songs like Won't Get Fooled Again such classics. A unique approach to drums resulting in a style that hasn't quite been duplicated by anyone else. That's what makes him great.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com