DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:28 PM

Default Re: I suck at power ballads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
As for our performance of it, it's nearly impossible to recreate the original vibe, but I've seen floyd struggle on it to, albeit they're entitled to, we're not.

Andy, for the record, you guys do probably the best cover band version i have seen.
I just wonder why, even when they are close to 'nailed', some songs just don't transmit the same?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
Andy, for the record, you guys do probably the best cover band version i have seen.
I just wonder why, even when they are close to 'nailed', some songs just don't transmit the same?
Floyd doesn't even try to play it (or at least the modern live versions I've seen) close to the record, a lot more distortion in the verses.

If you're in the studio with a ton of time and money, you are working towards that perfect, magical track. When you get it, it's clearly the one for a reason. You won't ever rebottle that lightning.

Plus, studio trickery - layers, extra instrumentation, effects, production.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

I think you can hear when someone is not really enjoying the song they are playing.

If you don't like the form of the music, it will show!

On a more tech side, try playing your snare a little behind the beat in general(a'la Jeff Porcaro) then stretch further back in places where dynamic change or punches like cymbal crashes do not seem to fit.

I really like Porcupine Tree's 'Half Light' as recorded in the Tilberg Concert - be sure to purchase if you like it. Find the video...its nice to see what he is doing as its kinda hypnotic and your attention goes to the song instead of the drum part-even when I concentrate and don't have the video image I get this effect.

Gavin really finds nice ways to make the song move without making his part overbearing or bland like many slow tempo/cut time songs.

Others to check out...'Send Her My Love' from Journey(Steve Smith), 'Warm Wet Circles' by Marillion(Ian Mosley) and 'Losing It' by Rush(NP).
Old 01-10-2019, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Are you sure its you that sucks and not the power ballads?
Old 01-10-2019, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEF View Post
Thank you. It's morphed since I posted a video here eons ago. We don't deliver it verbatim, it has our own minor tweaks & twists, but the signature elements are retained.

You're right though, it's a dangerous song to try & pull off. You stand zero chance of capturing the same vibe, & you have to take that on board if you're going to attempt it in front of a discerning audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Floyd doesn't even try to play it (or at least the modern live versions I've seen) close to the record, a lot more distortion in the verses.

If you're in the studio with a ton of time and money, you are working towards that perfect, magical track. When you get it, it's clearly the one for a reason. You won't ever rebottle that lightning.

Plus, studio trickery - layers, extra instrumentation, effects, production.
Agreed, & it's not even worth trying if your aim is absolute replication. We're lucky enough to have a damn fine guitarist in our ranks, but there's no way he can pull off precisely the same Gilmore delivery.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Gold Member

I'm with you, I change the station, when there is anything that resembles a ballad comes on. I do like the older Jazz Ballads, Summertime, Funny Valentine etc. I'm not sure why the modern ballads are so revulsive.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
I'm with you, I change the station, when there is anything that resembles a ballad comes on. I'm not sure why the modern ballads are so revulsive.
Hmmm - no "power" element to this, but it's certainly a ballad, & modern, & IMHO, wonderful. Recorded in one of my favourite places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeBfbFj55A
Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoB View Post
I can honestly say....that I truly hat.....'dislike'....EVERY song sampled in that commerical AND the band they rode in on!

Those are not ballads (power or otherwise). They are pieces of peroxide bubble gum wrapped up in leather and spandex....lol.

THIS is a ballad: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o1ASIT5DqN0
Old 01-11-2019, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Loving this old thread. I filled in for a band a few weeks ago and had to play ‘You make me feel like a natural woman’ fkrthe first time. That was an exercise in making a very slow 3/4 sound good without speeding up. Luckily they were excellent musos, which made it much easier.

In other bands I regularly play:
You raise me up
Unchained Melody
I Can’t Help falling in love with you
Donna
Simply the best
I’m loving angels instead
People get ready
Little Wing

My formula is generally: don’t play in tne first verse. Just play slow ride or hihat next, then add clicks, then change to snare, then sizzle the hihat, then build up crashes and big tom fills, then maybe come down to nothing again at the end. I sometimes deliberately push the tempo as the sing builds, to lift the energy, then pull it back at the end. If you have a good singer audiences love them.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:35 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hmmm - no "power" element to this, but it's certainly a ballad, & modern, & IMHO, wonderful. Recorded in one of my favourite places https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpeBfbFj55A
(music … "and on and on and") off!
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFFcuy_5k2Q
Old 01-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Quote:
(music … "and on and on and") off!
I'm now super hesitant to post our new single release here. Guess I can sneak it under the radar in the your playing section / ghost village ;)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm now super hesitant to post our new single release here. Guess I can sneak it under the radar in the your playing section / ghost village ;)
I liked the percussion part :), it was pretty good as ballads go.

This Saturday, I thought about it some. I think I like the ballads that were written for musicals or movies, which is where many of the early ballads came from. The modern reality show versions just aren't as good.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
When you play a power ballad, light up a cigarette and put it near your drum kit.
Close your eyes when you play.
Imagine you are in a Chicago nightclub in 1950.
Pretend you are playing the blues.

Pretend that you're slow dancing with a young Christy Brinkley. Does it for me.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm with you, I change the station, when there is anything that resembles a ballad comes on. I do like the older Jazz Ballads, Summertime, Funny Valentine etc. I'm not sure why the modern ballads are so revulsive.
Back then they had Rodgers and Hart, Gershwin, Billy Strahorn and others. These folks were real musicians who weren't ownwd by the record companies. "Ballad by committee" really doesn't work.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I liked the percussion part :), it was pretty good as ballads go.
No percussion part in our new single = I'm screwed. On a plus point, there's no wind chimes either ;)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdrum View Post
Back then they had Rodgers and Hart, Gershwin, Billy Strahorn and others. These folks were real musicians who weren't ownwd by the record companies. "Ballad by committee" really doesn't work.
I think the function is different also. The singers are actually telling a story acting and dancing and interacting with the pit orchestra.