DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Default Back pain while drumming

Ive been playing for 10 years and am in my mid 20s. Ive tried taking the necessary precautions to eliminate back pain in my mid back.ie good throne, posture, drum placement. But i had a idea. What if im having this pain because i play in my garage. I mean what if it is because i play on a slope. I have also had trouble in the past with my drum rack due to the stab being non level. Idk i didnt use to have this problem. Im only 24
Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Back pain while drumming

how long has it been going on for?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAST View Post
I mean what if it is because i play on a slope. I have also had trouble in the past with my drum rack due to the stab being non level.
It would be easy to test your theory. Rotate you drum kit 180 degrees. Or 90 degrees. And see if your back still hurts.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAST View Post
Ive been playing for 10 years and am in my mid 20s. Ive tried taking the necessary precautions to eliminate back pain in my mid back.ie good throne, posture, drum placement. But i had a idea. What if im having this pain because i play in my garage. I mean what if it is because i play on a slope. I have also had trouble in the past with my drum rack due to the stab being non level. Idk i didnt use to have this problem. Im only 24
You need your stool to be level, the drums being un level are not that important, they can easily be leveled.

Work on leveling your stool first, you can do this with shims, or by removing a rubber foot or two if the tilt isn't too severe. Use a level on the stool top.

You'll whack your back out playing on an un level stool/throne.

You'll have to compensate for when you do get on a level surface, slope down in the garage means when you get on a level surface you'll have to raise your stool.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Some other thoughts:

if you are on concrete, this could have an effect - unless you have a carpet with heavy pad under it (ie like you would in your home) and not just a skid pad. There is no give to concrete.

You also may want to consider a throne with a back. I know there are a lot of opinions but Ive used a hydraulic roc&soc for more than 20 years and have no issues when i play. I only point this out because I do have back issues, which are not prevalent when i play.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:06 AM

I've said this before in this forum. I will highly advise you to take some Alexander Technique lessons, if possible with a person that works with musicians and you're problems will be gone.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Its possible Gro but is it not better to treat the problem rather than the symptom?

If the uneven surface is causing the pain, fix that and the problem is solved. If its not the practice room floor that's the problem then he may have a back issue. If so my choice would be a physio or an osteopath.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:19 PM

The problem is the posture, and that's what Alexander Technique teaches you, how to fix your posture whilst at the drumkit
Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM

It's likely the slope. My shop where I keep my drums set up is not level. When I originally set them up in there, I was facing "uphill," and had lower back pain when I played. I turned the kit around where I am now facing "downhill" and experience no pain when I play.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM

Hmm, i've been dealing with some of this as well, of course it does come down to posture - but this is directly related to technique, so maybe examine your hand and (especially) foot technique, to be sure you're approaching the drums in the most natural way possible for you. The height of your throne will have an effect too of course, so make sure you're not sitting too high (the most common problem), or too low.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

I'll give you the same answer that I got when I went to a doctors forum and asked about my drums. :)

Seriously though, in my experience, any sitting hurts my back..
Old 07-28-2014, 11:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
The problem is the posture, and that's what Alexander Technique teaches you, how to fix your posture whilst at the drumkit
No, as he said, the problem is probably the sloping floor, he has never had a problem until using this practice space. He said his posture is naturally good. Its no good him adjusting his posture to suit a sloping surface, when he plays anywhere else he will be out of kilter.

If you moved your kit 3 ft from your stool and played for any length of time you would develop aches and pains and it would be pointless working on posture to overcome the obvious problem.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

Just out of curiosity, by any chance are you using a motion (springs at the throne base) or a nitrogen charged drum throne?