DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQleyR View Post
I think this whole thing comes from classical musicians sight-reading music exclusively. There are a lot of classical musicians who can't play unless they have music in front of them, which really means their aural memory is underdeveloped (unless they've never seen the piece before, in which case that's a pretty amazing skill). An over-reliance on reading is not good, same as a total inability to read music is not good.
I've met a lot of players like that. I used to play in a swing band with a few saxophonists that had an exclusively Classical background and I pointed it out as an issue more than once. Sometimes, you do need to go 'off-script'.

My contention is that people generalise that particular 'Classical musician issue' towards all reading. A healthy balance is what's really necessary to play effectively in a wide range of genres. A decent balance can be achieved by learning to transcribe, playing from those transcriptions and then memorising them. The ability to improvise without written music is important as well and sometimes playing purely from ear. If you can do all of these well, you're in a very good place indeed.

I would never encourage somebody to actively avoid reading, though. I think it's a misconception that's generally thrown around by those that have never bothered themselves as some kind of high-and-mighty justification. Can I read well? No. Would I encourage others to read? Yes - because it means that they might not make a few of the mistakes that I did when I was learning to play.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
What makes you think that?

Partly because most of the times i see them they are from travis barker wannabes. Partly because of an article in rhythm magazine about how it dramatically increases the chances of carpal tunnel, reduces drum rebound and is an all round negative thing to do.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:48 PM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
I think big kits are fugly.
I think people who own more than a main kit and backup kit are egotastical tossers. We get it, you have money. Just find your fav sound and sell the rest, theres no point.
I get more pleasure from building my own kit than buying another professionally built kit.
I think flat toms show a drummer has bad technique.
You are aware this is a business right? My drums are available for hire. I also need a wide variety of sounds.

I agree with Bill Ray. We should be positive. Amateurs should learn from professionals. Pros take time to leave comments on sites like this to help.

Flat toms show poor technical ability? This person should read, not post. Utter rubbish and a waste of time.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
You are aware this is a business right? My drums are available for hire. I also need a wide variety of sounds.

I agree with Bill Ray. We should be positive. Amateurs should learn from professionals. Pros take time to leave comments on sites like this to help.

Flat toms show poor technical ability? This person should read, not post. Utter rubbish and a waste of time.

1) Sorry I am not entitled to an opinion? It's people like you that shame this forum by scaring people into not being allowed opinions. Maybe you should be the one learning to grow up perhaps? As I stated many times, I am not attacking, just sharing opinions. As for flat toms I just expressed my reasoning behind it, I keep seeing that trend in new drummers who just watch barker, and its serious negative side effects.

2) Thanks for pretty much saying that I am an "Amatuer" because of my opinions? Il have you know I make my money from drumming, have been asked to do product demonstrations and have (so far, still getting higher) my grade 6 from trinity and guildhall.

I think you should stop resorting to insults just because of an opinion somebody has. Please go and oppress another forum.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Partly because most of the times i see them they are from travis barker wannabes.
Guess I can see that. Every time I see the guy play I wonder how that whole setup can possibly be comfortable. It really seems like he has to reach pretty far out to hit his high tom.

Quote:
Partly because of an article in rhythm magazine about how it dramatically increases the chances of carpal tunnel, reduces drum rebound and is an all round negative thing to do.
Without having read the article, it sounds a bit like they don't know what they are talking about. If you setup your kit low, it's extremely comfortable to hit a flat tom setup. The higher up the tom, the more I think you start needing some angle to make it comfortable. On the flip-side of the argument, I think when you have them flat, you definitely gain some power in the stroke as there's more arc, and you're moving down towards something as opposed to reaching forward.

What kind of angle was the article recommending?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Guess I can see that. Every time I see the guy play I wonder how that whole setup can possibly be comfortable. It really seems like he has to reach pretty far out to hit his high tom.

Without having read the article, it sounds a bit like they don't know what they are talking about. If you setup your kit low, it's extremely comfortable to hit a flat tom setup. The higher up the tom, the more I think you start needing some angle to make it comfortable. On the flip-side of the argument, I think when you have them flat, you definitely gain some power in the stroke as there's more arc, and you're moving down towards something as opposed to reaching forward.

What kind of angle was the article recommending?

It was an article on toms as flat as you would have them when placed on a coffee table (which is what i refer to). They refer to a minimum tilt of around 10 degrees from what I remember. I know it was a round number haha. It was followed by an article that stated how dangerous to your wrists trad grip is, not that it stopped me. But i think the poor technique part from me comes from every time i saw a drummer with flat toms they think they are travis barker or are ignoring the health aspects to just "look cool" which i think also shows a lack of technique. That is what I tried to get across in my opinion. Sorry I riled people!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:02 PM
wy yung

Quote:
1) Sorry I am not entitled to an opinion? It's people like you that shame this forum by scaring people into not being allowed opinions. Maybe you should be the one learning to grow up perhaps? As I stated many times, I am not attacking, just sharing opinions. As for flat toms I just expressed my reasoning behind it, I keep seeing that trend in new drummers who just watch barker, and its serious negative side effects.

2) Thanks for pretty much saying that I am an "Amatuer" because of my opinions? Il have you know I make my money from drumming, have been asked to do product demonstrations and have (so far, still getting higher) my grade 6 from trinity and guildhall.

I think you should stop resorting to insults just because of an opinion somebody has. Please go and oppress another forum.
Actually I just came back to delete that comment but was too late.

I will say though if you are relying upon magazines to form your opinions you are inexperienced. There is nothing wrong with having little experience. That comes only with time. Allow experience to help you with your opinions and forget what you read in magazine articles.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Actually I just came back to delete that comment but was too late.

I will say though if you are relying upon magazines to form your opinions you are inexperienced. There is nothing wrong with having little experience. That comes only with time. Allow experience to help you with your opinions and forget what you read in magazine articles.
I would not call myself inexperienced, but neither would i ever consider to say i know lots of what there is to know out there. I would consider myself a professional musician because that is how I have paid myself for quite a few spates. I will not say I am relying just on a magazine to form that opinion. I have three reasons why I do:

1) Watching people, as stated in a previous post I see so many travis wannabes that are god awful. Worst was a support act for All Time Low last year. But going to a music college you see worse there too.

2) The article.

3) I was one of them. I loved travis in +44 and tried it myself and found my abilities and technique never got better. I then got a jazz tutor, had a massive change in tom angle (now almost 35% aha) and havent looked back since those lovely days.

PS sorry if it seemed like I was having a pop at you mate, Just very much a hater of the banning of any freedom of speech or opinion, or in fact saying anybodies opinion is wrong and deserves an attack. It is what they think, that is it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It was an article on toms as flat as you would have them when placed on a coffee table (which is what i refer to). They refer to a minimum tilt of around 10 degrees from what I remember. I know it was a round number haha. It was followed by an article that stated how dangerous to your wrists trad grip is, not that it stopped me. But i think the poor technique part from me comes from every time i saw a drummer with flat toms they think they are travis barker or are ignoring the health aspects to just "look cool" which i think also shows a lack of technique. That is what I tried to get across in my opinion. Sorry I riled people!
For the record, I'm most certainly not "riled"... I was just curious. Logic dictates to me that a flat setup is actually quite, well, logical. It allows for the same or similar technique and flow around the kit.... That is, if the setup is low and you're not having to reach out like barker.

Here's is a shot of Benny Greb's kit setup. I don't think either one of us could say that he's having issues with rebound or technique, though granted we can't ask about any potential carpel tunnel issues, I just don't see that as a worry unless you're setting up too high.

See? Whole thing is low and flat. He's nothing like barker, and one of the more graceful players out there, in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the response, I was just wondering what made you come to the conclusion. For what it's worth, that magazine you're reading seems to have a lot of opinions that would fit into this thread, and I'd read it with a lot of skepticism.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
For the record, I'm most certainly not "riled"... I was just curious. Logic dictates to me that a flat setup is actually quite, well, logical. It allows for the same or similar technique and flow around the kit.... That is, if the setup is low and you're not having to reach out like barker.

Here's is a shot of Benny Greb's kit setup. I don't think either one of us could say that he's having issues with rebound or technique, though granted we can't ask about any potential carpel tunnel issues, I just don't see that as a worry unless you're setting up too high.

See? Whole thing is low and flat. He's nothing like barker, and one of the more graceful players out there, in my opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the response, I was just wondering what made you come to the conclusion. For what it's worth, that magazine you're reading seems to have a lot of opinions that would fit into this thread, and I'd read it with a lot of skepticism.

The difference I find with Grebb is that he is really rather tall, and so towers over his drums. Im talking the people that play that style kit who are 5ft5
Old 02-19-2014, 07:22 PM
wy yung

While the below may be true, your statement that people who play flat toms have poor technique is critical of the comfort level of other players. In effect you are telling them they are wrong. You are critical of their ideas.

In my 30+ years as a professional musician, very rarely has a conversation taken place where I and another drummer have criticised another over a personal set up. People set their kits up to suit their individual physicality. Who am I to criticise them?

If you are indeed a working professional musician, I would recommend that you irradicate these kinds of comments when speaking with other professionals. Otherwise I doubt you will be taken seriously. I am sorry, but you need to be careful with what you say in this industry.

I should have stayed with my original Thelma and Louise comment. No good can come of this thread. Negativity has no place in working with other musicians. In fact negativity is a sure way to get kicked off a tour.

Quote:
I would not call myself inexperienced, but neither would i ever consider to say i know lots of what there is to know out there. I would consider myself a professional musician because that is how I have paid myself for quite a few spates. I will not say I am relying just on a magazine to form that opinion. I have three reasons why I do:

1) Watching people, as stated in a previous post I see so many travis wannabes that are god awful. Worst was a support act for All Time Low last year. But going to a music college you see worse there too.

2) The article.

3) I was one of them. I loved travis in +44 and tried it myself and found my abilities and technique never got better. I then got a jazz tutor, had a massive change in tom angle (now almost 35% aha) and havent looked back since those lovely days.

PS sorry if it seemed like I was having a pop at you mate, Just very much a hater of the banning of any freedom of speech or opinion, or in fact saying anybodies opinion is wrong and deserves an attack. It is what they think, that is it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Vintage 1976 Luds that I unyellowed the wrap on. Pretty proud of that, not many people know how to do that.
Please explain. My Pearl kit is supposed to be white but is more like teeth. Looks like it has spent its entire life in a coffee and cigarettes test facility. Minus the color, the wrap is in good shape.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The difference I find with Grebb is that he is really rather tall, and so towers over his drums. Im talking the people that play that style kit who are 5ft5
yea, that kind of goes with my earlier assessment. If say, you're real short, or have a huge bass drum that won't allow you to setup the tom below the "comfort zone", you might have to do a bit more tilting. I'm almost exactly 6ft tall, depending on what time of day you measure me... I love most of the stuff on my kit to be relatively flat, but almost never lift my arms up when I'm playing. It's all right there, and my arm angle doesn't change, because the angle of stuff on the kit also doesn't change much. See how Benny's high tom is only a inch or two above the snare? That's what I'm talking about. Looks perfect to me!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Mike_In_KC

To everyone who is taking this thread seriously....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cxNR9ML8k

MM
Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Please explain. My Pearl kit is supposed to be white but is more like teeth. Looks like it has spent its entire life in a coffee and cigarettes test facility. Minus the color, the wrap is in good shape.
Larry un-yellowed the WMP or white marine pearl finish from Ludwig which, if anyone owns from the 70's and prior is now yellowish. Its almost un-noticeable until you see how it really should look.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:34 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Let's have a frank and open discussion about how great my opinions are, should we ?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:39 PM

I don't like getting new stuff.

Truly, this is because getting additional stuff isn't any fun unless I'm actually using it - so my real problem is *time* (no pun intended... okay, maybe a little) but still.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
Larry un-yellowed the WMP or white marine pearl finish from Ludwig which, if anyone owns from the 70's and prior is now yellowish. Its almost un-noticeable until you see how it really should look.
Yeah I want to know how you un-yellow my wrap so it no longer looks like teeth. What is the "secret" to it?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Let's have a frank and open discussion about how great my opinions are, should we ?
Let's! Oh let's!

Go Henri, go Henri, go Henri!
Old 02-19-2014, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
yea, that kind of goes with my earlier assessment. If say, you're real short, or have a huge bass drum that won't allow you to setup the tom below the "comfort zone", you might have to do a bit more tilting. I'm almost exactly 6ft tall, depending on what time of day you measure me... I love most of the stuff on my kit to be relatively flat, but almost never lift my arms up when I'm playing. It's all right there, and my arm angle doesn't change, because the angle of stuff on the kit also doesn't change much. See how Benny's high tom is only a inch or two above the snare? That's what I'm talking about. Looks perfect to me!
Well what I meant was when short people have the tall people set up as it were :P Sorry for any confusion.

Quote:
While the below may be true, your statement that people who play flat toms have poor technique is critical of the comfort level of other players. In effect you are telling them they are wrong. You are critical of their ideas.

In my 30+ years as a professional musician, very rarely has a conversation taken place where I and another drummer have criticised another over a personal set up. People set their kits up to suit their individual physicality. Who am I to criticise them?

If you are indeed a working professional musician, I would recommend that you irradicate these kinds of comments when speaking with other professionals. Otherwise I doubt you will be taken seriously. I am sorry, but you need to be careful with what you say in this industry.

I should have stayed with my original Thelma and Louise comment. No good can come of this thread. Negativity has no place in working with other musicians. In fact negativity is a sure way to get kicked off a tour.

I find myself a very positive person, who is used to taking a LOT of pranks for being "the drummer". Including but not limited to:

Putting talc on my coated snare drum head just before the performance and not telling me.

Replacing snare head with paper on rehearsals.

De-tuning my floor tom before start of gig.

Shower-gel on drumsticks.

Flour in drumming gloves.

Filling my pearl free floater full of water with a piece of blu-tac to hold the water in at the vent and waiting for it to fall loose during the gig so i get soaked.

But I guess I shall ammend it to:
Drummers who are too short for flat toms shout poor technique to me.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post
Yeah I want to know how you un-yellow my wrap so it no longer looks like teeth. What is the "secret" to it?
It's all here:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ght=unyellowed

And brush your teeth with straight baking soda, rinse w/ peroxide. It will unyellow them too. Baking soda will NOT scratch your enamel in case you are hesitant.

Last edited by larryace; 02-19-2014 at 09:26 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM
Mike_In_KC

I don't think the kid featured in the "African drumming" thread sounds very good at all. I imagine that once I am good that I will appreciate the kid - but as of now it sounds like noise. Props to the kid for being expedient and having an honest hustle.

MM
Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 PM

might be a little late, but I dont see how some of the posts got hostile in this thread. its just a thread for unpopular opinions. you post something that is your opinion. youre probly gonna see something that you dont agree with. but its not directed towards you, or anybody. thats what the thread asked for. get it out in this thread so you dont spew it out somewhere else lol!

anyways, im on the "dislike jazz" side too. ive listened to it, i can watch and say that every body playing is technically skilled, but it doesnt appeal to me sound wise in the slightest. and its usually the drums that i cant stand! im not gonna knock anyone for playin it but im not gonna commend them too...

same opinion with a lot of metal too.

and i enjoy some classical music. that might be a little unrelated.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Gold Member

"same opinion with a lot of metal too."

This is my unpopular opinion. Cannot relate to all of the various sub genres of metal. Blast beats don't impress me musically. Physically maybe. Screaming does absolutely nothing for me. Add to it the lot of backers that think anyone not playing metal is not good.

As for jazz I do like a fair bit of it. Lots of blues too. But in both areas when that habit of playing the same note or same small pattern over and over again comes up, I change the station.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Opinions are NOT all created equal. Far too many are ill concieved or ill thought out or irrational or overly emotional or unfactual or born from inexperience or unfamiliarity or intolerance or a lack of understanding or forsight or thought or sound judgement or reason.

This thread is living testament to that. Too believe otherwise is simply to fool oneself.

[I doubt it'll get any more unpopular than that.]
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
ill conceived, ill thought out, irrational, overly emotional, un-factual, born from inexperience, etc.
Against that background, I guess it's ok to mention I like chimes then ;)
Old 02-20-2014, 12:26 AM
Platinum Member

I secretly love the Mapex Saturn badges. How can you not love them? They're big, they're bold, and they say "here I am world, deal with it".
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Opinions are NOT all created equal. Far too many are ill concieved or ill thought out or irrational or overly emotional or unfactual or born from inexperience or unfamiliarity or intolerance or a lack of understanding or forsight or thought or sound judgement or reason.

This thread is living testament to that. Too believe otherwise is simply to fool oneself.
I was just about to post an unpopular opinion of mine regarding my 60 years of drumming experience with traditional and matched grip techniques.

But now I don't want to post it. I'm thinking that my opinion might be wrong..................

Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I was just about to post an unpopular opinion of mine regarding my 60 years of drumming experience with traditional and matched grip techniques.

But now I don't want to post it. I'm thinking that my opinion might be wrong..................

Bear in mind of course, that all this is just my humble opinion. It may well be ill concieved or ill thought out or irrational or overly emotional or unfactual or born from inexperience or unfamiliarity or intolerance or a lack of understanding or forsight or thought or sound judgement or reason.

But hey, at least I'm not deluded enough to believe it holds fast purely because it's mine and based on nothing more than a whim. And that opinion may certainly be swayed with the presentation of new evidence, experience, logic or fact.......like 60 years experience with trad/matched, for example. :-)
Old 02-20-2014, 01:04 AM

Quote:

Flour in drumming gloves.
if you wear drumming gloves, you deserve it. just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

I was wondering who would be the first one to get the jimmies all rustled about this thread. Honestly I love watching the touchier members of this forum get all in a tizzy when someone says something they don't agree with. Like you've never had to deal with a mindset that doesn't align with yours before.

That's my unpopular opinion. I also miss Crazy 8's on here,

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-20-2014, 01:15 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltzmann's brain View Post

I used them for a while following a wrist sprain, not wanting to aggravate it any more than needs be.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
I was wondering who would be the first one to get the jimmies all rustled about this thread. Honestly I love watching the touchier members of this forum get all in a tizzy when someone says something they don't agree with. Like you've never had to deal with a mindset that doesn't align with yours before.

That's my unpopular opinion. I also miss Crazy 8's on here,
i think it's been very civil. one of the best threads here in a long time. and very entertaining. i'm glad it hasn't gotten ugly and gotten itself locked. just my opinion.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Against that background, I guess it's ok to mention I like chimes then ;)
Chimes Of Freedom

Well far between sundown's finish and midnight's broken gig
We ducked inside the drums thunder barkin'
As majestic tubes of bells struck shadows in the sun
Sayin' it may be the chimes of freedom bashin'

Bashin' for the drummers whose strength is not to shine
Flashin' for the musicians on their unnamed road to shrine
And for each and every underdog basher in the night
We gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

Well in the city's melted furnace unexpectedly we watched
With faces hidden here while the bands were tightenin'
As the echo of the gigging bells before the blowing rain
Dissolved into the wild bales of lightnin'

Yeah giggin' for the audiences yeah giggin' for the ears
Giggin' for the chimeless the abandoned and forsaked
Yeah giggin' for the outcasts burnin' constantly at stakes
And we gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

And then through a cloud-like curtain in a far off corner flashed
There's a hypnotic splattered mist was slowly liftin'
Well electric guitars still struck like arrows
Fired but for the ones condemned to drift or else be kept from driftin'

Well giggin' for the searching ones on this speechless secret trail
For the lonesome haunted lovers with too personal a tale
And for each young heart for each channeled soul misplaced inside a bell
Yeah we gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

Well starry eyed and laughin' I recall when we were caught
Trapped by an old track of vows for the bells suspended
As we listened one last time and we watched with one last look
Spellbound and swallowed "Has the giggin' ended?"

Yeah giggin' for the achin' ones whose wounds cannot be nursed
For the countless confused accused misused strung out ones at worst
And for every hung out person in the whole wide universe

Inspired by Bruce Springsteen
Old 02-20-2014, 01:28 AM

god, i hate chimes, tambourine, and flutes. they should be illegal.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltzmann's brain View Post
He should take one of his drumming gloves off and slap you across the face with it as a duel challenge.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:38 AM

With the same heads and tuning, my Stage Customs sound just as good as my Recording Customs.

Dutch
Old 02-20-2014, 02:41 AM

MY MIDNIGHT CONFESSIONS

Tuning differences aside “most” snare drums sound about the same to me.(GASP!)

Tuning and head differences aside, expensive drum sets do not sound better to me. (WTF, get marketing on the phone…quick!!!)

Most vintage kits look junky. (OMG! That's it. Stop him...call the MOD, STAT!)

IMO, DW’s are among the least attractive, (long silence) it’s the lugs, (sound of cheering) .

Now that I’ve insulted just about everybody…only kidding, sort of.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:57 AM
Platinum Member

Here's another one...

I think all other drumming forums are boring. I spend like almost zero time in any of them. I'm not sure why I spend so much time in this one. I guess I've just become familiar with a few of you. The only other forum I've joined is DC and I've only 29 posts total since Sept of last year. I like to lurk in r/WTF but I've never posted there. One of the funniest places on the web, IMHO.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Chimes Of Freedom

Well far between sundown's finish and midnight's broken gig
We ducked inside the drums thunder barkin'
As majestic tubes of bells struck shadows in the sun
Sayin' it may be the chimes of freedom bashin'

Bashin' for the drummers whose strength is not to shine
Flashin' for the musicians on their unnamed road to shrine
And for each and every underdog basher in the night

Well in the city's melted furnace unexpectedly we watched
With faces hidden here while the bands were tightenin'
As the echo of the gigging bells before the blowing rain
Dissolved into the wild bales of lightnin'

Yeah giggin' for the audiences yeah giggin' for the ears
Giggin' for the chimeless the abandoned and forsaked
Yeah giggin' for the outcasts burnin' constantly at stakes
And we gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

And then through a cloud-like curtain in a far off corner flashed
There's a hypnotic splattered mist was slowly liftin'
Well electric guitars still struck like arrows
Fired but for the ones condemned to drift or else be kept from driftin'

Well giggin' for the searching ones on this speechless secret trail
For the lonesome haunted lovers with too personal a tale
And for each young heart for each channeled soul misplaced inside a bell
Yeah we gazed upon the chimes of freedom bashin'

Well starry eyed and laughin' I recall when we were caught
Trapped by an old track of vows for the bells suspended
As we listened one last time and we watched with one last look
Spellbound and swallowed "Has the giggin' ended?"

Yeah giggin' for the achin' ones whose wounds cannot be nursed
For the countless confused accused misused strung out ones at worst
And for every hung out person in the whole wide universe

Inspired by Bruce Springsteen
That was awesome...........I have to admit, now along with you, Andy, and Bruce by proxy, I love chimes and need to get another set