DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Unpopular Drumming Opinion Thread

I absolutely hate the look of long kick drums. It just looks phallic and dated. Like one day people will look back at a picture of some kid in a black V-neck and feathered, blond highlighted hair playing 20x20 kicks with a doublewide front hoop and make jokes about how silly the style was back then. Some guy will start a website touting the sonic benefits of the poor, misunderstood square kick and praise manufacturers that still offer them.

I also don't like this modern type that I see everywhere, the skinny kid, always plays with matched grip with eye-level crashes that are set perfectly flat. He plays with this exaggerated motion whipping his arms in some kind of a hack Moeller deal.

Also, I think I'm too young to be as negative as I am.

Oh, and I really dislike fusion. The tuning comment cracked me up.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-19-2014, 05:52 AM

I never liked roto toms.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

Any thread over three pages long (with the exception of the post your gear/video threads) has lost its mojo and starts to repeat itself.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Platinum Member

Any thread over three pages long has lost its mojo and starts to repeat itself.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 AM

Aussie drummers are better that American drummers!

We have Donati and ummm.....oh theres .....wait!.....no.....ahhhhh.......

Americans have Gadd, Colaiuta, Weckl, Beauford, Chambers.

Can you see what I mean?

Those American drummers.....pfffffffft!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post

No, Travis Barker is the best.

Wait what?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:55 AM

O and one more thing. I think Steve smith is one of the most boring, unoriginal drummers I've ever seen. I have taken private lessons with (for 3 hours), been to tons of clinics and a few gigs with his bands and I've even jammed with him. He's really really really good but he just tries to play like everyone else and everything he does is boring.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post

Hahahahaha! Haga!

Loving the outright honesty going on here.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 AM
Silver Member

Gear is overrated. One does not need an expensive shell pack, or just the right so and so heads, wood composition, etc, etc to get great drum sounds. A basic pearl vision or similar can sound great with a set of reasonable heads and tuning and is all that is really needed for excellent live and recorded sounds.

Modern metal drumming with all of its typical trappings is overrated, boring and mind numbingly self indulgent....played out, been done before, not impressive

Sticks4drums, Glen, is a good dude and I have enjoyed corresponding with him about drums, drummers, etc.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Gear is overrated. One does not need an expensive shell pack, or just the right so and so heads, wood composition, etc, etc to get great drum sounds. A basic pearl vision or similar can sound great with a set of reasonable heads and tuning and is all that is really needed for excellent live and recorded sounds.

Modern metal drumming with all of its typical trappings is overrated, boring and mind numbingly self indulgent....played out, been done before, not impressive

Sticks4drums, Glen, is a good dude and I have enjoyed corresponding with him about drums, drummers, etc.
Hey shemp....gotta agree with you on the gear thang...

I put in another post about finding a Tama Rock star DX on the side of the road

I got it home, put some G2s on the top and G1s bottom and boy howdy!!

That thing TALKS

It has much more presence than my Premier Genista

So free vs $2800 for drum sound? It isn't what you would expect

I too have had some good chats with sticks4drums

His drum kit collection is outstanding
Old 02-19-2014, 11:05 AM

Nobody (other than drummers) cares about the differences in drum & cymbal sounds. No-one has ever decided whether they like a band/will buy a record based on the percussion sound.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
... No-one has ever decided whether they like a band/will buy a record based on the percussion sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2S1I_ien6A&feature=kp

Nope, not ever.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Renegade

The only unpopular opinion I have is this one.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:04 PM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by shemp View Post

Just to comment on the gear point.

Kits such as Visions and Superstars, while fine drums, lack the projection of high end kits. It is my experience that high quality shells offer a greater range of tone and projection.

I base the above, not only on my 30+ years as a professional drummer, but also on my time spent teching and preparing kits for bands such as Primus, Smashing pumpkins, Pearl Jam etc. Also on my time recording and teching in studios.

I currently own 80+ high end modern and historic snare drums and 10 drum kits. So I have a little experience.

Oh by the way, I know not many have these as yet but I picked up a Sakae Trilogy kit, 12, 16, 20 & 5x14" snare. SUPERB kit! And so light and easy to carry. Tunes up easily, hardware is excellent. Be sure to check Sakae out.

Nothing unpopular really. I would like younger drummers to have more open minds and check out older drummers. I introduced a 14 yr old student who loves metal to Chick Webb and Louis Jordan today in class. He loved it. I then taught him an authentic 40's era RnB shuffle.

Loas of great stuff in the back catalogue. :-D
Old 02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

As much as I/we talk about great sounding drums, sometimes I think drums in general sound a bit crap, given all the research, hype, investment etc etc etc. I don't always feel this way but I think those of us who have heard and scrutinized alot of drums have some tolerance.

I can't offer a better solution but I think there must be a better way to fix a head to a drum at even tension and in tune than the lug system we're all using. It just seems primitive.

I don't have a problem with Glen, I just think there are plenty of other nice dudes around who DONT need to compulsively promote something, that he's a bit unnecessary.

I think some people on this forum are a bit stuck in the past, don't acknowledge new talent, have very stiff allegiance to drum brands that aren't necessarily all that great. And are a bit rude to top it off.

Shemp I think that's ridiculous because you own 14 kits.

Last edited by Duck Tape; 02-19-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

I think big kits are fugly.
I think people who own more than a main kit and backup kit are egotastical tossers. We get it, you have money. Just find your fav sound and sell the rest, theres no point.
I get more pleasure from building my own kit than buying another professionally built kit.
I think flat toms show a drummer has bad technique.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur drummer View Post
I like drum solos. Especially the long extended 15 or 20 minute solos like they had in the 70's. I wish today's drummers played more solos like those.
Toad lives! Karn Evil 9 lives!

What DID kill the long solo from the 60's and 70's?
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Tricks View Post
1. Drummers are at the bottom of the food chain because drums are the easiest instrument to play.
If that were true, I wouldn't be doing this. I like drums because it's a harder instrument than the stringed stuff I started on as a kid. Every time some "musician" has told me that drums are easy, I've handed them sticks and watched them be terrible.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee View Post
I think people who own more than a main kit and backup kit are egotastical tossers. We get it, you have money. Just find your fav sound and sell the rest, theres no point.
I get more pleasure from building my own kit than buying another professionally built kit.
I build my own so I'm with you there, but why do you believe owning more than a main kit is egotistical? Perhaps it is nothing more than having sets with different finishes you like. Some players sacrifice a lot to own different instruments. Those that have the money to own more ... whatever floats their boat. I only have one set but if I could I'd make more, if just to experiment.

Drums cost a lot for what you get compared to just about any other instrument out there. You have to really love drums to own multiple sets.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:07 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Egotistical tosser typing this! I love it. Most refreshing thread ever.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Because to me its pointless needing more than 2 kits. The only other reason you buy more is:
Look at me! I have more money than you and I can lord it over everyone else because I have more kits than you and that makes me better than you!

And to me that is how those people come across to me so I have no respect for them, talent or not. I know its a stupid thing, but thats why im posting it. Its an unpopular opinion of mine that wont be shared but I am not afraid to say it. The exception to this with me is an internationally touring professional musician, the likes of bermuda.

Oh christ, PS: I do not mean to attack anyone on this forum, it is not directed at anyone in particular etc. It is just a view and opinion of mine. PLEASE nobody take it to heart, those of you who have met me know im not a tw@t and such, its just a view, sorry if i offend anyone :s
Old 02-19-2014, 06:13 PM
"Uncle Larry"

You can't exclude Bermuda, he has the most sets of anybody! He doesn't need them all!

I need 4, 2 in my studio, one ready to go for gigs, one set up at a rehearsal space an hour from my house. I have 2 sets lent out, and I am looking to sell the other 2 but I can't bring myself to list them.

If this is what it feels like being egotistical, yea, give me more of that!
Old 02-19-2014, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

Curious question. Why 2 for the studio? Why not just 1? Or just use your gigging kit for that too? And one let one out? You can just sell it, but if its just for let i wouldnt really count that as "your kit", more a business venture. But id still say 2 kits in studio is 1 more than needed unless you teach with 2 kits, which i very rarely see as most teachers just put there students on the kit and only get on to show.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

My idols Charley Boy and Moonie never tried to read music....so I think, ability to read music is boring and without reading music and just playing from the head takes me to places like what Charlie boy is enjoying now...
Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Curious question. Why 2 for the studio? Why not just 1? Or just use your gigging kit for that too? And one let one out? You can just sell it, but if its just for let i wouldnt really count that as "your kit", more a business venture. But id still say 2 kits in studio is 1 more than needed unless you teach with 2 kits, which i very rarely see as most teachers just put there students on the kit and only get on to show.
I like 2 sets because I can interact with another person. Plus the 2nd studio set...it's my only set with a 24" kick. Vintage 1976 Luds that I unyellowed the wrap on. Pretty proud of that, not many people know how to do that. Typically, I have my 8 YO stepson on one kit trying to copy what I show him to play. It's just more interactive when I have other people over. I don't really need it, it's a want thing.

My gig kit is ready to go in my van, it lives there. No loading or unloading into my house is really convenient. Plus it's safer there than in my garage, and I always have a kit with me.

It's really about convenience, I would hate to have to break my set down, have to load it up, then at the end of the night when I am spent, I can just step out of my van and go to bed lol.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
My idols Charley Boy and Moonie never tried to read music....so I think, ability to read music is boring and without reading music and just playing from the head takes me to places like what Charlie boy is enjoying now...
In these days of education coming at us from all media for all ages (and I don't read either) I'd say that would be a very unpopular opinion. I would love to read, to be able to play other instruments, actually. My wife sight reads like reading anything else. Amazes me. Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks thing is what it is, I guess.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Take a look at the view and reply count on this thread that is rooted in negativity. Now consider this thread like "Pop music".

Look also at the threads about smart stuff and learning. Look at the low view and reply counts.

Maybe we can begin to change that somehow?

And perhaps music itself might get just a little bit better.

Be thoughtful, always. Don't be taken in by the negative.

Best Regards,
Bill Ray
http://billraydrums.com
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I like 2 sets because I can interact with another person. Plus the 2nd studio set...it's my only set with a 24" kick. Vintage 1976 Luds that I unyellowed the wrap on. Pretty proud of that, not many people know how to do that. Typically, I have my 8 YO stepson on one kit trying to copy what I show him to play. It's just more interactive when I have other people over. I don't really need it, it's a want thing.

My gig kit is ready to go in my van, it lives there. No loading or unloading into my house is really convenient. Plus it's safer there than in my garage, and I always have a kit with me.

It's really about convenience, I would hate to have to break my set down, have to load it up, then at the end of the night when I am spent, I can just step out of my van and go to bed lol.

Thats fair enough :) As I said, I never meant it as an attack or negativity, merely what I thought. There is a certain FB forum that has a guy who has about 18 kits and always buys new ones for cheap and once in a blue moon will sell another one. He even has 3 saturns in same config but different finish. I hate him haha, it drives me up the wall
Old 02-19-2014, 06:41 PM
"Uncle Larry"

No, man it's all good. Your opinion is valid. Not trying to change your mind. I am almost un-offendable. I like the honesty here. I guess I could be painted as someone trying to defend themselves, but really that's not the case. Everybody has certain truths they live by and that's great. It would be a tragedy if everyone agreed on everything. I like the diversity.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecore View Post

Drummers spend way to much time tuning individual drums, and not the entire kit (which is why your 13" tom is "hard to tune").
that doesn't make sense.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
No, man it's all good. Your opinion is valid. Not trying to change your mind. I am almost un-offendable. I like the honesty here. I guess I could be painted as someone trying to defend themselves, but really that's not the case. Everybody has certain truths they live by and that's great. It would be a tragedy if everyone agreed on everything. I like the diversity.
Good to know! I swear we have met once and LDS aswell (I know I met Andy and he was one of the nicest people I know, upsets me to know I can never afford one of his snares), but i always love reading your posts on here so i REALLY dont want to offend you. And to everyone else saying its a negative thread, I dont think it is, I think its a freedom of speach thread, an honest thread where people should not be scrutinized for having an opinion of there own. Especially when there opinion is labelled "negative". Just because someone hates some form of drums or sounds, doesnt make it negative.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
Thread check-in. Yep. He's posted about Charlie Watts.

Normal service can be resumed...
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
Thread check-in. Yep. He's posted about Charlie Watts.

Normal service can be resumed...
Huh?.............................
Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsinhisheart View Post
In these days of education coming at us from all media for all ages (and I don't read either) I'd say that would be a very unpopular opinion. I would love to read, to be able to play other instruments, actually. My wife sight reads like reading anything else. Amazes me. Just an old dog trying to learn new tricks thing is what it is, I guess.
It does make me laugh that people actively make excuses for not reading music. It really does. It sure should be an unpopular opinion because it's ridiculous!

If you can't, that's absolutely fine. My reading is poor and I accept that - but I will never try to encourage somebody to ignore reading because it 'limits their creativity' or 'takes away the heart' from their playing. If you can read, nothing is saying you have to for every gig - it's just another tool in your arsenal. It's one that opens up a rich world of educational texts and means you can speak a common, written language with other musicians.

In short, there is no disadvantage in learning to read. Would I actively encourage somebody to remain illiterate so that their spoken English is somehow 'pure'? Hell no. I deal with people that have literacy issues in my job every day and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Egotistical tosser typing this! I love it. Most refreshing thread ever.
egoTAStical. fantastically egotistical. not to be confused with egotesticle, which something all together different.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltzmann's brain View Post
...not to be confused with egotesticle, which something all together different.
Having met Larry, the image is far too disturbing for words.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
flat tom troll has flat toms.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Huh?.............................
It's a rule of this forum, like Godwin's Law. If a thread lasts a significant length of time, he will post something irrelevant referring to Charlie Watts.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
It does make me laugh that people actively make excuses for not reading music. It really does. It sure should be an unpopular opinion because it's ridiculous!

If you can't, that's absolutely fine. My reading is poor and I accept that - but I will never try to encourage somebody to ignore reading because it 'limits their creativity' or 'takes away the heart' from their playing. If you can read, nothing is saying you have to for every gig - it's just another tool in your arsenal. It's one that opens up a rich world of educational texts and means you can speak a common, written language with other musicians.

In short, there is no disadvantage in learning to read. Would I actively encourage somebody to remain illiterate so that their spoken English is somehow 'pure'? Hell no. I deal with people that have literacy issues in my job every day and I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be.
I think this whole thing comes from classical musicians sight-reading music exclusively. There are a lot of classical musicians who can't play unless they have music in front of them, which really means their aural memory is underdeveloped (unless they've never seen the piece before, in which case that's a pretty amazing skill). An over-reliance on reading is not good, same as a total inability to read music is not good.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What makes you think that?