New kit but which new snare?

sped66

So after 20 years or so of playing I'm gonna get my first brand new kit. Always had a used set of various brands I'd pick up at a pawn shop or classifieds. I'm getting back to playing after a long break. Right now I'm playing a set of Pearl Export Selects with Sabian B8's. Nothing fancy but they sound decent and I'm just in love with playing all over again. I've ordered me a new set.........Mapex Meridian Maple 5 piece in the Supernova Burst, I have a Mapex Falcon Hi-Hat stand and the Falcon double kick pedal........awesome hardware imo. I have a ddrum Artist Series 14-Inch Shawn Drover Signature Snare that I like but I want a new deep wood snare. I just like the sound they produce. I'm looking at a Mapex Black Panther Big Cat 8x14 or a Sonor Black Mamba Maple Snare Drum 7x13. Trying to stay around 200 bucks on the snare. Any opinions on these two or maybe another deep wood snare in my range would be much appreciated. Thanks guys n gals.

I like 13" drums so I'd go for the Black Mamba, but it depends on what you feel about them. I've heard good things about OCDP's 13x7" Ash snares and their snare strainer is one of the best out there IMO. They also come with die-cast hoops and retail for $200... pretty much any Guitar Center will have some in stock, so you should try one out.

Taye Metalworks Stainless Steel $350 or so
Yamaha Vintage Maple (Apple Stain) $450 or so
Tama Starphonic Mappa Burl $4-something
Ludwig Acrolite....wow this thing rocks...14x6.5
Ludwig Rocker...again, WOW for cheap

Sorry, I did not read your pricing so forgive me if I missed your target...but I own these and I think they are superb...the Rocker was CHEAP and just slams!

Get the big cat. I have a 13x7 and its really cool but if you want power and presence a 14 is the best way.

Back