DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:43 AM

Default Index Finger Joint on Right Hand becomes painful during drumming

Hey

I haven't posted on these forums in a couple of years so forgive me if I'm rusty. I've been drumming in a band that has been somewhat successfully locally for around 4 years now. We recently took an 8 month hiatus due to college commitments etc but have got back into playing the last month.

Now, usually our practice sessions are between 6 - 8 hours of non stop playing. I've never had this problem before but the joint in my right index finger (the one halfway up the finger) starts to become agonizingly painful... this has happened twice. While on hiatus, I was regularly playing drums but never for this period of time.

I'm 22 now but when I was about 14 I broke my index finger quite badly and never went to hospital to get it set. The result is that my finger is straight until it gets halfway up, in which it tilts at about a 20 degree angle... a cool party trick for many years but now I'm beginning to think something might be seriously wrong.

Basically, I want to ask if anyone has had this problem before and what methods they've used to help it. I'll obviously be visiting my doctor in the near future but it's highly unlikely that he's a drummer. Is there any form of grip for the right hand that alleviates pressure on this joint. Or am I making a big deal over nothing, is the pain natural after such a long period of inactivity?