DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Anthony Amodeo

Default Re: Best Stick For Matched Grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I don't want to over-step my bounds here, but I think it's very important to practice several different sandwich grips in both hands. Try one half-sandwich in each hand for a while till you get the hang of it; focus on consistency and evenness with each bite. Gradually, you can introduce a stick into the mix, and the great benefit here is that you'll have limb-sandwich-independence. Never again will you have to play ride grooves with your left hand simply because you happen to be eating a sandwich.
dude!!!!!
I've been working on this all night and I CANNOT thank you enough .

my sandwiches taste better than ever....I don't need to put Tabasco on them .....and the tomato slices aren't falling out like they used to

I mean I am in no position to use pumpernickel bread or anything yet ......but rye feels great right now

anyway.......back to the sandwich shop
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Amodeo View Post
dude!!!!!
I've been working on this all night and I CANNOT thank you enough .

my sandwiches taste better than ever....I don't need to put Tabasco on them .....and the tomato slices aren't falling out like they used to

I mean I am in no position to use pumpernickel bread or anything yet ......but rye feels great right now

anyway.......back to the sandwich shop
It feels good to give back. I've learned so much about sandwich and burrito technique that it's almost a crime to not share with everyone here. Sometimes I see a guy eating a sandwich and it's really hard for me to not lift up his elbows a bit, or show him how to properly use a finger-snap motion for the second bite of a double-bite. I just don't want anyone to end up hurting themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady
But what is the best sandwich grip for playing metal?
Most metal guys prefer to use a double-sandwich approach. The technique is called "palm-finger". You kind of push the sandwich up to your mouth using the palm of your hand, then just as gravity starts to take over and pull the sandwich back down, tighten your fingers and make a pushing motion, keeping your wrist mostly static. Practice this until both bites are clean and the same size. You don't want un-even or sloppy bites.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Most metal guys prefer to use a double-sandwich approach. The technique is called "palm-finger". You kind of push the sandwich up to your mouth using the palm of your hand, then just as gravity starts to take over and pull the sandwich back down, tighten your fingers and make a pushing motion, keeping your wrist mostly static. Practice this until both bites are clean and the same size. You don't want un-even or sloppy bites.
That's where I've been going wrong. When eating fast, I tend to use my whole forearm, and I sometimes end up burying the sandwich (or burrito). It's really bad with the burritos, because the habanero salsa tends to fly everywhere, and it really burns my eyes.

Thanks a million, Doc! I'll get to work on the palm-finger technique for better control.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't want to over-step my bounds here, but I think it's very important to practice several different sandwich grips in both hands. Try one half-sandwich in each hand for a while till you get the hang of it; focus on consistency and evenness with each bite. Gradually, you can introduce a stick into the mix, and the great benefit here is that you'll have limb-sandwich-independence. Never again will you have to play ride grooves with your left hand simply because you happen to be eating a sandwich.
Quote:

These are epic posts!!

Thank you! haha
Old 06-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
That's where I've been going wrong. When eating fast, I tend to use my whole forearm, and I sometimes end up burying the sandwich (or burrito). It's really bad with the burritos, because the habanero salsa tends to fly everywhere, and it really burns my eyes.

Thanks a million, Doc! I'll get to work on the palm-finger technique for better control.
I'm right in the middle of publishing my new book:

"Unburying The Sandwich". Look for it in sandwich shops everywhere next month.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Silver Member

Dude!

After lunch I'll post my cover of Turkey Combo by Subway on YouTube.

I cut the foot long into (2) 6 inchers and totally devour at 240 bpm (bites per minute). It's awesome!

Sincerely,

The Dark Megalord of Eatmo

Jim Martin Music
Old 06-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Duuuhhhhhhhh...................
Attached Images

Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
looking forward to your answers........but I will most likely quickly discredit all valuable answers of quality players who try to help me

while we are at it ....I have a few more

what's the best hi hat stand for blues?

what's the best throne for country music?

what's the best cymbal felts for Zildjian medium K cons ?

what's the best shoes for playing metal?

what's the best suit to wear to a jazz gig ?

what's the best sunglasses for a sunny day ?

what's the best spoon for Cheerios ?

all open questions Arky :)
I use a spoon with holes in it because I am Lactate Intolerant
Old 06-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboyxx View Post
Dude!

After lunch I'll post my cover of Turkey Combo by Subway on YouTube.

I cut the foot long into (2) 6 inchers and totally devour at 240 bpm (bites per minute). It's awesome!

Sincerely,

The Dark Megalord of Eatmo

We all know Jersey Mikes covers get more yousandwhich hits than subway covers.

:-P
Old 06-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Gold Member

In the thread "best sticks for traditional grip", I explained that the butt end on trad grip sticks should extend half way up the shaft toward the tip. Just the opposite is true in sticks for matched grip. On matched grip sticks, the tip should extend about half way up the shaft toward the butt end. This is 180 degrees opposite of the traditional stick. Also, the fulcrum on matched grip sticks should be within 5" of the balance point, at lest on hickory sticks. It is not so crucial on maple sticks. The fulcrum point tends to "float" more on maple sticks, mostly because maple is lighter than hickory and will float better in water. It should be noted that this floating in water has a more debilitating effect on the maple stick, because it is more likely to warp, In that regard, traditional straight sticks are superior. I hope this helps . . .
Old 06-07-2013, 11:42 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
That's a trick. Pizza is not to be eaten with a fork. Just remember. With both pizza and burritos; "If you use a fork, you'll look like a dork!".
Quote:
Mapex Saturn

Watso are you OK? I mean someone already went there with the Saturns. And the "If you use a fork, you'll look like a dork?" Really? You're slipping man. Where is the real Watso? Sorry but you've raised the bar so high. You can't be running under it. I say this because I care.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mapex are made in china.....correct?

does this mean I can't use french grip on a Mapex ?

...and can anyone show me chinese grip ?

I really want to learn all grips

I know the G.I. Joe Kung Fu grip.I think that's Chinese.

Steve B
Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Watso are you OK? I mean someone already went there with the Saturns. And the "If you use a fork, you'll look like a dork?" Really? You're slipping man. Where is the real Watso? Sorry but you've raised the bar so high. You can't be running under it. I say this because I care.
I'll do as I please with the bar, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Neener.
Old 06-08-2013, 02:31 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
I'll do as I please with the bar, and there's nothing you can do to stop it. Neener.
Fine. As much as I hate losing.... you win. The bar is your domain, I can't argue that. I shall not judge your judgement or trespass into your Kingdom anymore sire. I do have your best interests at heart, and I want you to know that I am a loyal subject and am oneth your side. I will however moon you from the boundaries and fart in you general direction when your daily offerings displeaseth me, and this latest offering doth displeaseth me, methinks.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
I know the G.I. Joe Kung Fu grip.I think that's Chinese.

Steve B
I'll bet you do! Can you destroy Cobra with it? haha. TBH, I don't wanna know.