DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Best sticks for traditional grip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
I have actually believed it to be a sticks tip to affect it the most. :P I generally like round tips and reverse teardrop tips fro trad. and I always felt that oval tips made the sticks feel "choppy" at such an angle, do you know what I mean? I suppose a better question would be, "Should stick tip design be a factor for a sticks response and feel I will use in traditional grip?" What do you think?
That is better. For the most part, you should be able to do whatever you can do with matched also with traditional. I don't think that you should get a different response from a stick when switching between grips. After that, it comes down to personal preference.

I see stick tip design coming into play more in jazz where you can move the tip at gazillion different angles to produce different sounds. Especially that "point the stick right at the head and dropping it" stroke.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
I see stick tip design coming into play more in jazz where you can move the tip at gazillion different angles to produce different sounds. Especially that "point the stick right at the head and dropping it" stroke.
lol, that's a real stroke? I thought that was just something a person like me would do out of boredom...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

I would have loved to hear Buddy's answer to the thread's title.
My own little opinion is that of so many other's here...if it feels good to your hands then use those. It's kinda like shoes...
Old 06-06-2013, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I didn't want, "it's a matter of preferance" because I have read many of the posts here before I decided to join and that seems to be the answer to most questions.
Welcome to the forum :) There's a reason why questions are frequently answered with a personal preference reply, & it's more to do with the question than anything else. When I dig into the detail, it's apparent that a more specific question would be likely to deliver better targeted replies.

It seems like you've studied music extensively. I hope you can contribute here.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

I play both grips and I don't feel that which one I use affects my comfort level with a pair of sticks. That said, if one type brings you more comfort than another, I say you should go for it. Whatever works!

I'm not sure what you mean by angles, but if you mean that your left hand approaches the snare from a different angle towards the drum than your right, then it's not conducive to playing even strokes.

I know drum corps doesn't play tilted snares anymore, but there is a huge visual component to corps techniques. If you're talking about the great trad drumset players, many of them use a tilted snare at the drum set. I've come to find it gives me naturally even approach angles with both hands and for pure power for things like rimshots and backbeats, it's more comfortable. As many have pointed out, that's really the snare angle the grip was invented for.

However you achieve it, whether by tilting the drum or not, I think you want even angles between hands.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not copping attitude,
Mate, you need to argue less and listen more. That's just a fact.

I'll bet you everything you own that in ten years time, your replies to this thread will make you cringe. Honestly, it's time to start taking some notes.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I'll bet you everything you own that in ten years time, your replies to this thread will make you cringe.
I don't regret anything I ever say, I just learn from them. ;P anyways, from what I remember, are you from austrailia?
Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
are you from austrailia?
Yeah, but don't hold that against me. We're stuck here at the arse end of the world.......a hell of a long way from anywhere important or cultured, so it stands to reason that we're all lunatics.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but don't hold that against me. We're stuck here at the arse end of the world.......a hell of a long way from anywhere important or cultured, so it stands to reason that we're all lunatics.
My dad was in the navy and traveled the world, but he said that the one type of people he couldn't get along with was austrailians. He told me they would call him gay for being respectful towards women. But that's just what he says, I don't have an opinion because as of right now, I only know two austrailians. ;)
Old 06-07-2013, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My dad was in the navy and traveled the world, but he said that the one type of people he couldn't get along with was austrailians.
Nah, we're pretty easy going,............unless you're an American sailor. Then it's open slather.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't regret anything I ever say, I just learn from them. ;P anyways, from what I remember, are you from austrailia?
You forgot the most important part of PFOG's statement - "In ten years' time." lol

If your responses don't make you cringe, you will not have used those ten years well...
Old 06-07-2013, 05:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Hello,

I am a percussionist in high school, although I just graduated. I marched tenors during marching season and then I did snare in indoor. I noticed, however, that when practicing on snare, certain sticks seemed to feel... Better, when using traditional grip; like the system blue DC 50s, which seemed to work better at the higher angle that the left hand requires than the right hand. My favorite sticks are the Scojos, (ms5) since I prefer matched grip, but It seems as though the sticks don't work very well at the higher angle that the sticks need to be at and I have to pull my hand down to where my hand is in this awkward thumb on top grip, which is simply bad form. Basically, what I wanted to ask was, What sticks feel best for you when using traditional grip? Why do you choose that stick?
They don't make different sticks for different grips or certain grips. In chooseing sticks you should go by what feels comfrotable in your hands. I like thinner, lighter sticks as opposed to thicker, heavier sticks. It's really about what feels comfortable to you.

It could also be about what type of music you play. For instance, jazz players usually like thin, light sticks and meatal players usually like thick, heavy sticks. Like I said, it really depends on what sticks feel good in your hands. Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 AM
gf2564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fur drummer View Post
They don't make different sticks for different grips or certain grips. In chooseing sticks you should go by what feels comfrotable in your hands. I like thinner, lighter sticks as opposed to thicker, heavier sticks. It's really about what feels comfortable to you.

It could also be about what type of music you play. For instance, jazz players usually like thin, light sticks and meatal players usually like thick, heavy sticks. Like I said, it really depends on what sticks feel good in your hands. Hope this helps.
Actually for the last few years I have been buying my sticks from Danny Seraphine's CTA website. He/they designed the sticks with an indentation at the fulcrum part of the stick that really does cater to traditional grip but obviously can be used for matched, as well. I play both ways but do find the indentation very conducive to the traditional style. Just an FYI.........
Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
You forgot the most important part of PFOG's statement - "In ten years' time." lol

If your responses don't make you cringe, you will not have used those ten years well...
Oh no, you misunderstand, the solution is simple... We kill the batman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2564 View Post
Actually for the last few years I have been buying my sticks from Danny Seraphine's CTA website. He/they designed the sticks with an indentation at the fulcrum part of the stick that really does cater to traditional grip but obviously can be used for matched, as well. I play both ways but do find the indentation very conducive to the traditional style. Just an FYI.........
Seriously? I shall look this up for verification! :D
Old 06-07-2013, 03:11 PM
gf2564

Quote:
Oh no, you misunderstand, the solution is simple... We kill the batman.

Seriously? I shall look this up for verification! :D
Yes, I am serious...........ctatheband.com. I really like them. Danny formally used Pro Mark to produce these, now they are made by Zildjian.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Gold Member

If you are going to use traditional grip drum sticks, then you should be using traditional grip drum heads on which to play them and tune them with a traditional grip drum key.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
My dad was in the navy and traveled the world, but he said that the one type of people he couldn't get along with was austrailians. He told me they would call him gay for being respectful towards women. But that's just what he says, I don't have an opinion because as of right now, I only know two austrailians. ;)
Quote:
Nah, we're pretty easy going,............unless you're an American sailor. Then it's open slather.
When I was in the Navy all I ever heard about was how great Australia was and about how friendly the people were. Eventually my ship went to Perth and it was amazing - even for a sailor. A little out of the way for most vacationers but well worth the trip for anyone who can make it. I've never heard anyone say they didn't totally dig it no matter what city they visited.

But also, there were a lot of Texans in the Navy when I was in (I'm sure there still are) and I noticed that 9 out of 10 of them don't do deference or humility, so cut this kid some slack - the Big 'Ole "Don't Mess With Texas" is in play here.

My Band

Last edited by MikeM; 06-07-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM
gf2564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
If you are going to use traditional grip drum sticks, then you should be using traditional grip drum heads on which to play them and tune them with a traditional grip drum key.
The "jokes" just keep on coming; some funnier than others but........the guy ask a question, everyone had fun with it. I am just pointing out these are out there and CAN be useful for traditional grip. I am going to assume it was a serious question and I gave him a serious/potential option. Like all have said, it really is a personal choice; not a "one size fits all" type thing.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2564 View Post
The "jokes" just keep on coming; some funnier than others but........the guy ask a question, everyone had fun with it. I am just pointing out these are out there and CAN be useful for traditional grip. I am going to assume it was a serious question and I gave him a serious/potential option. Like all have said, it really is a personal choice; not a "one size fits all" type thing.
Joke? To which joke would you be referring?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 PM
gf2564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
Joke? To which joke would you be referring?
Take your pick, there are plenty to choose from............
Old 06-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
WTF?! Dang, I just HAD to jump in here on that one.

When I was in Iraq several years ago, the Aussies were THE BEST bunch of guys to hang around. Heck yeah, they're rowdy and all but that is merely part of their culture. Do a search sometime on the history Australia. It's actually really interesting.

So please don't cop your dad's attitude--or something resembling the attitude you've had on this thread--when it comes to Aussies. (I've got your back PFOG...)

You really should visit there sometime...just watch out for the drop bears.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And to cap it all, you're terrible at Cricket!

Sorry, I really couldn't resist. It's open season for our colonial relationship to sour.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

The best stick for traditional grip is straight sticks (as opposed to kinky or bi sticks). I like sticks for trad grip where the butt and of the stick extends halfway to the tip, or approximately mid stick. They look cute that way, when marching!
Old 06-08-2013, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Eventually my ship went to Perth and it was amazing - even for a sailor.
Well overdue to come back mate. I've made the spare bed, beer is in the fridge.....what's keeping you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
...just watch out for the drop bears.
Yes, the dreaded drop bear.

About the only thing more frightening than an insular Texan sailor! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
And to cap it all, you're terrible at Cricket!
I'm almost too scared to watch.

My god, it's going to be a belting!!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

Hang on Jules. You were meant to get argumentative and go on about how Ponting is brilliant.

Oh wait a minute...

You have some promising bowlers.