DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:33 AM

Default Need advice on painting my Pearl Export drums

Hello, I'm looking to paint my Pearl Export drums. I plan on buying a new set next year but for now, this is one I bought used years ago. They guy I bought it from had removed the wrap and repainted it himself. I would like to redo it in the color (Deep Blue) that I would like. This set will eventually be my practice kit and I plan on keeping it for quite some time.

I've done alot of reading and seen some videos and I think I have the basic idea, I just need some clarifications. I know I have to sand them (all hardware removed already) There are some blemishes that I would need a wood filler to fill then sand again. I know I need a primer, just not sure what kind or what color I should use. I would like to use Rust-Oleum Painters Touch 12 Oz. Deep Blue for the color of the drums. The things I'm unsure of is the clear coat and the sanding (what kind or grit) in between the paint and clearcoats. I would like a really glossy finish, just not sure of what product or method to use. Below is pics of My set and where I am with it so far.

The pics below show My set before I took it apart and where I am with the project so far. I would like to also know the best way to remove the paint from the inside of the drums without ruining the inside. The Blue Pearl is the color and looks I hope to achieve with a glossy finish.

Any help will be appreciated!!

Thanks!!

Chris
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Need advice on painting my Pearl Export drums

Have you considered drum wraps or did you definitely want to stick with painting?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:34 PM

I've done drum wraps on a set I had when I was young. I haven't found a company that has the color blue I'm looking for. Most of them just had a basic solid blue.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Okay, trying this again. First post here went to who knows where. My suggestion would be to use a medium grit sandpaper to begin the refinishing process. After a good sanding I would then use a fine grit to finish prepping for paint. Now this is a personal preference of mine but I would not use spray paint on them. Add a good coating of paint and let dry completely. Go over paint with some steel wool to remove any blemishes. Then begin adding your poly urathane coating. Let each coat dry and then use the steel wool before applying the next coat. Repeat process as often as you prefer. Hope this helps some.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:20 AM

Thanks Angus, that's interesting with steel wool. I haven't heard that one yet. So the polyurethane, that will give me that high gloss finish? Any idea on how many coats?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:21 AM

I used this on a cedar cabinet I redid several years ago and it still shines today. Just be sure and buy the high gloss poly.