DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Default I'm getting a Ludwig (Bonham) Maple Kit . . .

. . . that's it really. I'm just crowing. Picking it up next week.

Can't wait to get playing it. I expect the scale of it will take some getting used to after my Sonor 22 BD kit. Moving around from that high tom to *two* floor toms will be a struggle at first I guess.

In anticipation I'm also expecting:

Puzzling over how to tune it. I went up in 4ths on my existing kit. But this'll have that extra fl tom.

Will there be head vibration issues on the massive 26 BD?

How the hell will I reach round to that extra floor tom? I so won't be used to that. Prob will gig with just one fl tom I reckon.

Anyone got one?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: I'm getting a Ludwig (Bonham) Maple Kit . . .

Congratulations on the kit. I don't have the Ludwig Bonham kit but I have a 100% maple Mapex kit in Bonham sizes and a virgin BD. The first thing I'll offer since this was also my first time going with a 26 inch kick is that I had a little be of that vibration thing happening after my first round of tuning. I quickly found a post in this forum (thank you Drummerworld) that recommended tuning the batter side head higher, this results in air moving faster and may get rid of the extra vibration. I applied the recommendation and it worked 100%. I get no vibration on the batter side of my BD.

Animal Life Savers
Old 01-10-2013, 07:26 PM
Gold Member

if you are porting the kick ,the vibrations shouldn't be an issue. The biggest adjustment will probably be the placement of your rack tom.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 PM
The Old Hyde

hitting the second floor will surprise you because its very easy . Make sure to position it a little further away from you than the on closest to the bass drum so you dont have to pull your arms in to hit it.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM

is that a centennial kit? i got the 5 piece dragster (20x24, 8x12, 15x16, 16x18), and i love it. i replaced all the heads with clear ambassadors, and it is positively thunderous. the floor toms are like diving into a swimming pool that's just the right temperature. i can't wait to hit 'em. i don't know of this "vibration" you're speaking of. as soon as i ditched the stock taiwanese remos, and got an emad2, and clear (that's right, clear) ambassador reso, the kick came alive beyond my expectations, and very forgiving. tight or loose, it really doesn't seem to matter, so i tune it in the middle. it has a lot of sustain and tone, and warmth when played lightly. massive attack when i lay into it. as far as tuning the floor toms, i never tune to a specific note. you may end up outside that drum's sweet spot, and that's drum cruelty (a punishable offense). my floor toms ended up liking being jaw. very low and sonorous. the 16 and 18 ended up at dissonant pitches, which actually makes them sound more cataclysmic. sometimes i set it up with one floor tom on each side- i love having a floor tom on the left. it opens up a world of possibility. these floor toms needed isolation feet, btw. they sounded like tupperware, and danced around like electric football players until i put the pearl air feet on them. you'll know when you get them tuned so they really sing. they hold tune really well, too.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Here's Bo playing my old kit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj7iw...ature=youtu.be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebe zeit View Post
Moving around from that high tom to *two* floor toms will be a struggle at first I guess. How the hell will I reach round to that extra floor tom?
In many ways, things only have the power you give them. Forseeing problems sometimes "makes" problems. Get the kit, set it up .... play it. There's a good chance you'll be fine. Also, there are other ways to position your drums.

Quote:
Puzzling over how to tune it. I went up in 4ths on my existing kit. But this'll have that extra fl tom.
14. 16. 18. 26 .... you'll have plenty of separation, there.
Quote:
Will there be head vibration issues on the massive 26 BD?
That depends on a few things, including your technique. Also, how strong your foot is, what kind of pedal you play, the beater, and how tight you tension your heads.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 AM

I have a Classic Maple kit in the Bonham configuration. I would recommend tuning higher than you might expect you need to, the resonant head a minor 3rd higher than the batter, and do not use "JAW" tuning on the bass drum. In other words, check out the Jeff Ocheltree clips on how Bonham tuned. Have fun, they're a different animal, but a blast all the same.
Here's my kit...
Name:  DSCN0218.JPG
Views: 2433
Size:  191.9 KB
Old 01-11-2013, 03:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam! View Post
I have a Classic Maple kit in the Bonham configuration. I would recommend tuning higher than you might expect you need to, the resonant head a minor 3rd higher than the batter, and do not use "JAW" tuning on the bass drum. In other words, check out the Jeff Ocheltree clips on how Bonham tuned. Have fun, they're a different animal, but a blast all the same.
Here's my kit...
Attachment 53764
Good god that is so gorgeous!

So many threads about tuning the 26"- batter on mine is almost 2 turns up from JAW fyi.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Puzzling over how to tune it.
Have a look at this. It might be a bit of help.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Platinum Member

Puzzled how to tune? Start from what you know. Then change it if it doesn't work out. I too, have went with "just above wrinkling" tuning, and maybe tensioned it a bit more, but it sounds awesome. I'm not sure the drum needs to be tuned so high. If I get into a situation where it doesn't sound good, I'll do something about it, but right now I'm really happy.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the replies, guys. The one I'm getting is the natural maple. Picking it up on Monday.

I'll probably shoot for the high tuning and try the reso higher than the batter thing. I like my drums tuned pretty high and ringy as it is. Looking forward to experimenting.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Gold Member

Congrats on the new kit Liebe Zeit.

I would recommend putting the 18" floor to the left of the hats............I moved my FT there a few years ago and love it now...............makes me change up my fills and I wish I'd have done it sooner.

Good Luck with it and can't wait to see the pics.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 AM

Crow away! Congrats on your new kit.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
Congrats on the new kit Liebe Zeit.

I would recommend putting the 18" floor to the left of the hats............I moved my FT there a few years ago and love it now...............makes me change up my fills and I wish I'd have done it sooner.

Good Luck with it and can't wait to see the pics.
+1- same set up for me. Looks odd but feels great.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Finally I got it set up. I'd had it two weeks but was waiting to put new heads on before setting up in my drum dungeon. Anyway, I've had an hour on it so far. Lovin the big boomy bass drum (to felt or not to felt? is a question on my mind right now). Lovin the extra tom tho I've now got a bit of a sore back :D

Name:  Ludwig.jpg
Views: 2028
Size:  947.0 KB
Old 01-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Beautiful kit, congratulations and enjoy. I opted to go with felt, and nothing else in the bass.

Animal Life Savers
Old 02-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

I'm not totally convinced by the Bonham tuning. High-ish ring-y batters I like, but having the resos much higher still seems to be killing the resonance. I started with my resos a 4th higher on my toms but I'm slackening em off over time. The bass and snare can handle a much higher reso tho
Old 02-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Platinum Member

Cool set man. You may want to check out Bo's thread on his new vintage Ludwig acquisition from Conway's collection. If the stand is suffocating the sound of your rack tom, there are some good tips in there on how to get that tom to sing.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
I'm not totally convinced by the Bonham tuning. High-ish ring-y batters I like, but having the resos much higher still seems to be killing the resonance. I started with my resos a 4th higher on my toms but I'm slackening em off over time. The bass and snare can handle a much higher reso tho
First...LOVE that kit! Im surprised to hear that the higher resos are killing your resonance, its usually the opposite, they make the drums tone a lot better when tuned higher. they actually work instead of just plugging the bottom of the tom. it sounds like you know how to tune if you mention a 4th higher, have you tried even tighter? is it all the toms or just the rack? a lot of people say that the snare stand kills those rack toms.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Hyde View Post
First...LOVE that kit! Im surprised to hear that the higher resos are killing your resonance, its usually the opposite, they make the drums tone a lot better when tuned higher. they actually work instead of just plugging the bottom of the tom. it sounds like you know how to tune if you mention a 4th higher, have you tried even tighter? is it all the toms or just the rack? a lot of people say that the snare stand kills those rack toms.
Cheers. I gigged it for the first time on Sat, and I can't face gigging without it now, but I guess I have to when supporting on pub gigs.

Anyway, I hear ya, Hyde. I'll have a mess with the tuning. It's just I thought maximum resonance came from equal tuning each end so that the reso has maximum sympathy with the batter.

The rack tom's the most resonant of all the toms.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:13 PM
The Old Hyde

Quote:
Cheers. I gigged it for the first time on Sat, and I can't face gigging without it now,
i hear you on that, i would hate to leave those home! youll get the tuning at some point. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I thought maximum resonance came from equal tuning each end so that the reso has maximum sympathy with the batter.
I'm using different heads for the batter and the reso and I've found that this method doesn't work too good for me.
I've found that most of the times when you tune the tom reso heads about a 3rd higher that's where it opens up nicely.

I am not by any means an expert in tuning, but I think having the same tension on both heads doesn't necessarily mean that they are going to resonate the same way since they perform different duties on the drum. The batter is being hit, while the reso head reacts to the air moving inside the drum.. I could be wrong tho.

Great looking kit!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:03 PM

Solution for floor tom issue: Put it to the left of your snare.

I AM THE HOLY CORNHOLIO! I NEED TP FOR MY BUNGHOLE!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

If the ft's aren't as resonant as the tom, tighten the resos even more.
There is a point where they will even resonate too much, but as you go up a bit at a time, you'll find the spot the drum will do what you want, for the way you are playing them.

Different head types will take different tensions too. When I used Ludwig Clear Mediums on the bottom, they were cranked. The ft's sounded great though. Nice full tone and good projection. Coated mediums didn't need that much tension.
Coated Ambassadors even less.

Have fun experimenting!
Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 AM

I LOVE my maple Bonham kit!

FAV Slingerland C.O.B deep snare...1970's..WHAT a sound! :)

I've since replaced my 9 X 13 tom with a 10 X 15...and I use Remo heads. I LIKE the LUDWIG reso on the Bass drum..looks kinda' cool, and my Scot family crest adds a bit of color.

Avedis Zildgian cymbals...and that ride? It's a 24"...bigger than most contemporary bass drums nowadays.

Sometimes I just use 3 conventional double-braced cymbal stands and tom stand instead of the rack.

Last edited by Destroy1; 02-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.