DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Best Way To Get Sponsored?

If you want to get sponsored, I hope that you will be some day. I have known many teachers that have sponsors, including my high school band teacher, as well as many professional musicians. Best of luck in the music world! And I'm sorry about all of the jerks who think they are cooler than you.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:42 AM

A few questions for the like of Bermuda who know how this sort of thing works. I play in a Motown/Soul cover band. We play every Friday and Saturday night at weddings all over the North of England, as well as doing corporate work (Nike, Adidas, Glaxo SmithCline and others). We play to generally 200-300 people a night. We do club nights that can pull in 400 people on our name alone. We're headlining a weekend festival in October for 3,000 people.

I've played the same gear for 12 years (Pearl, Sabian, Vater, Iron Cobra pedals, Remo heads), because they are the brands I believe in and have been more than happy using. Would it be worth my while chancing my arm with some of these companies? I appreciate that they're not going to lavish me with free gear, but if I can get some sort of arrangement for getting equipment for a bit less that cost price I would be delighted.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheloph View Post
If you want to get sponsored, I hope that you will be some day. I have known many teachers that have sponsors, including my high school band teacher, as well as many professional musicians. Best of luck in the music world! And I'm sorry about all of the jerks who think they are cooler than you.
Welcome to the forum fisheloph. But responding to a 3 year old post and calling established forum members jerks is not really the best first impression for your first post. Please read the forum rules http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35129. It is also interesting to note that the person you were responding to (the original poster) has not logged into Drummerworld since 2008, so chances are he/she will not be reading your response.

Jeff
Old 07-13-2011, 04:45 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

There are a few factors involved in companies accepting endorsements, but primarily they want the most exposure to their target buyers. And every company has a different level of what they consider good exposure. For some, 3,000 people five nights a week isn't going to be enough.

It also depends on who the audience is. For hardcore jazz guys who are more likely to play to a mostly musician filled crowd, 150 people a night might be enticing to them.

But there's really no way of knowing unless you contact the companies. Some, or none, or all may be interested, and their deals will vary, and you're right, few companies are give anything away.

But it doesn't hurt to ask the companies!

Bermuda
Old 07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
And I'm sorry about all of the jerks who think they are cooler than you.
Some of us jerks are also more experienced than him. This thread hasn't been about him anyway since it became obvious his was just a hit & run post.

Bermuda
Old 07-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Cheers Bermuda. I might give it a go. I just don't want to end up with some exec sat in his office using me for his comedy material
Old 07-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by con struct View Post
Wouldn't you have to be quite famous to get such a deal? Why would a company sponsor someone that nobody's ever heard of? I'd guess that they'd want somone who is always out there in the public eye, someone who sells CDs and tours regularly with a well known band or singer.
when i got my deal with MAPEX back in '91 i was just lucky enough to find a company who was just starting to get noticed and my band was playing all over the country so a LOT of drummers who never heard of MAPEX came up asking me about them. a win/win for the company and myself at the time.

plus having a drum endorsement helped me get an endorsement deal with Aquarian, then later Attack for heads and Vic Firth for sticks.

wished i would have really pursued a deal with Paiste at the time though!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
when i got my deal with MAPEX back in '91 i was just lucky enough to find a company who was just starting to get noticed and my band was playing all over the country so a LOT of drummers who never heard of MAPEX came up asking me about them. a win/win for the company and myself at the time.

plus having a drum endorsement helped me get an endorsement deal with Aquarian, then later Attack for heads and Vic Firth for sticks.

wished i would have really pursued a deal with Paiste at the time though!!
Do you still have that endorsment?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Do you still have that endorsment?
in essence, yes. when i wanted a new drum kit back in 2006 i contacted Joe Hibbs at Mapex who told me just go to my local dealer, who was a Mapex authorized dealer, and select the kit that i wanted, which was my Pro M kit that you see pictured in my avatar that i still own.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 07-14-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
I do wish they'd make it easier to get drumstick deals for little guys though. I'd happily wear every piece of clothing that had Vater scribbled across every minute of the day just to get a discount at the moment. The cost of sticks is crippling my future as a drummer :(
I couldnt agree more(promark)!! I think i would have a few new cymbals if it weren't for the amount sticks cost!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:04 AM

Watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcGDe...&feature=feedu
Old 07-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sometimes a little bit of knowledge goes a long way............other times, it goes nowhere.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
in essence, yes. when i wanted a new drum kit back in 2006 i contacted Joe Hibbs at Mapex who told me just go to my local dealer, who was a Mapex authorized dealer, and select the kit that i wanted, which was my Pro M kit that you see pictured in my avatar that i still own.
Oh, that's cool.
Couldn't you choose a Saturn or Orion? Or did you like the sound that much? :)
Old 07-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
Oh, that's cool.
Couldn't you choose a Saturn or Orion? Or did you like the sound that much? :)
yes, i could have chosen any series. the Pro M had what i was looking for in a kit plus i was totally in love with the Vanilla Cream Pearl finish.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

The way to get sponsored is almost the exact same directions you'd get for going to Carnegie Hall. Short directions, at that.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
Welcome to the forum fisheloph. But responding to a 3 year old post and calling established forum members jerks is not really the best first impression for your first post. Please read the forum rules http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=35129. It is also interesting to note that the person you were responding to (the original poster) has not logged into Drummerworld since 2008, so chances are he/she will not be reading your response.

Jeff
Dear Jeff,

A harmless guy asked an honest question and received some pretty insolent responses.
For example,

"You feel that you're becoming developed enough to get a sponsorship pretty soon? From who? You got anything to offer them?
Do you honestly think that we all go around being "sponsored?"
It's a very nutty idea. I wonder where such an idea comes from.
Brother, you don't need a sponsorship. Wherever you got that idea from, drop it right now and just keep playing."

I don't know or care how good at drumming this guy is, or if he is an "established forum member." He treated someone asking him an honest question as if he was way beneath him. I don't care how good you are at drumming, making someone look stupid isn't a cool thing to do. So I tried to tell him that this "established forum member" isn't above him. This is a forum to help drummers not degrade them.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:46 AM

I played over 500 gigs last year (no joke), granted they were all in one of three venues at the same location, but I haven't even considered an endorsement of any kind. Probably because I assume the majority of people who watch me aren't musicians and therefore it's fairly pointless for me to advertise a company to non-potential customers.

I am a drummer I love playing if I ever reach the point where Yamaha, Zildjian, Remo and Vic Firth want me to endorse their products then sign me up! If not then no biggie I'll just carry on doing what I love!
Old 10-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dear Jeff...
Why do you keep bumping an old post? Remember the forum rules - Do not “bump” a thread to bring it back to the top of the page. The OP has not been here since he posted the question in 2008. You bumped it in July 2011 and again now in October 2011 (your only two posts on the forum).

Here's some newer posts that can be replied to:

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php

I do commend you - you did not call anyone names in your second post.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffwj; 10-13-2011 at 05:40 AM.