DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:16 PM

Default Question for the pros: The road to a dream.

I've become much more serious about drums again lately. Probably the most serious I've been since high school when I was playing in 3-4 bands, gigging multiple nights a week, attending percussion camps, etc. Thanks to the advice of Matt Smith, I've begun private studies with Craig Harber, Director of Percussion Studies @ AIM. I auditioned for a band Tuesday night and had a decent time, they asked me to go play a festival with them this weedend, but it still had a bit of that "garage band" feel to it. I had to decline their invitation because I'm hopping a plane tomorrow night to go to Wichita, KS to play a gig this weekend. The older I get and the more I try to enjoy playing rock music, I find myself to be continually drawn toward what I would call "cleaner" music: jazz, blues, swing, even country. I guess what you might categorize as more "dynamically appealing" music.

Anyway, here's a dumb kid's dream and the real question:

To play tasteful music mostly in the studio. I was listening to a Brad Paisley record this morning, and I thought to myself, "now that's some real music from some talented musicians." It's more than just a catchy tune. It's jazzy, swingy country. I loved it!
The gig this weekend is with my Dad, who is a gospel music hall of fame pianist, but he doesn't play full-time anymore. We're playing some Ray Charles tunes, and I love that type of music.

So how do I get from here to there? I'm 28 and married (no kids yet). I have a job as an engineer that pays the bills. I'm not in a position either socially or economically to drive around the county trying to be the next big rock band; but I would love to do more than just play drums in my practice room and church on Sunday mornings. What is a real/feasible outlet for this? How do I go about pursuing this dream? I'd love to play full-time for a living, but I can't just quit my job until I have other income to replace it.

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to your input and advice.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Question for the pros: The road to a dream.

Well this is sort of an impossible question to ask. I think you will learn, the fun is in the getting there. I would bet if you actually became a full time drummer, you would then start searching for something else? I always thought I wanted to be nothing but a pro drummer, but myself, am never satisfied. I got out of it full time when in my thirties because I realized what I was chasing, was not all I dreamt it to be.