DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: This makes me want to cry, and practice harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post
Not really. There's many forms of jazz, even the term jazz isn't well defined. Chicken is chicken and there's only one flavor of it - chicken. That's why I said it's more like "I don't like food".
There are many ways to prepare and cook a chicken, it's still chicken, it just has variation from added ingredients. Not all chicken dishes taste the same, not two chickens taste absolutely identical.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost View Post
There are many ways to prepare and cook a chicken, it's still chicken, it just has variation from added ingredients. Not all chicken dishes taste the same, not two chickens taste absolutely identical.
I don't know if that analogy is at all that different because there seems to be some kind of attitude towards the chicken no matter how you cook it. Even if you can't taste the chicken anymore if you know it's chicken you will not eat it. I call it stupid. I can't possibly say I don't like some single ingredient at all because that would mean I have tried it at every possible context and that isn't possible. That's why I keep open mind with everything in life, music and food and try not to make such generalizing statements.

For example I hate blue cheese. I have never eaten anything good with blue cheese in it. But I still can't say there's never going to be anything good made out of blue cheese. And I do realize that most of my life I have eaten stuff that has nothing to do with that flavor. So I won't go all the way and generalize that all the cheese in the world has to be horrible and nothing good will ever come from it and it isn't even worth of further investigation.

But this seems terribly out of topic already. I don't think I will have anything to add anyways.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPW View Post
I don't know if that analogy is at all that different because there seems to be some kind of attitude towards the chicken no matter how you cook it. Even if you can't taste the chicken anymore if you know it's chicken you will not eat it. I call it stupid. I can't possibly say I don't like some single ingredient at all because that would mean I have tried it at every possible context and that isn't possible. That's why I keep open mind with everything in life, music and food and try not to make such generalizing statements.

For example I hate blue cheese. I have never eaten anything good with blue cheese in it. But I still can't say there's never going to be anything good made out of blue cheese. And I do realize that most of my life I have eaten stuff that has nothing to do with that flavor. So I won't go all the way and generalize that all the cheese in the world has to be horrible and nothing good will ever come from it and it isn't even worth of further investigation.

But this seems terribly out of topic already. I don't think I will have anything to add anyways.
Look, I agree with you, being a more open minded individual. But I'm still not going to try force someone that tells me they don't eat chicken to admit it is a great food.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:21 PM
wy yung

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
As a teacher you need to get over what you think is best for the child. Not everyone likes or wants to play it. Infact, I personally hate Jazz drummers. To me they overplay massively for what others play around them and have a obsession with making the beat "interesting". What his father wants may have been suggested by the child for all you know and his father is trying to tell you. Ask the kid if he wants to play Jazz.
You need not worry. I am well aware of my own fanaticism and do not allow it to interfere in any shape or form. Nothing in this world is ideal. Even ideal isn't ideal.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Top notch. But, I still think Taiga-kun would floor him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQqr43TYoNo
Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 AM

Pffffft! I don't like his shoelaces and I don't think drummers should wear hats (while playing)!

I think the kid is great and I hope he stays at it and goes far. I wish I had his skills. Way to go, kid!

Last edited by Toad; 04-09-2011 at 06:15 AM.