DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 AM

Default Finally getting there

On November 16, while working with my table saw, I put two fingers, index & middle, into the blade. I cut all the way through the last knuckles on those fingers. After working through some pain while playing, I am finally "almost" there.
I cannot use my index finger 100% yet, but have compensated somewhat, and do not have full control, but can play at a level I can enjoy. All the while, getting better.
I am auditioning for a band on Tuesday. I feel that confident. It will only get better.
On the flip side, I have not had the confidence to run the table saw. I'm not afraid of it, I just don't have control of my fingers enough to try it yet. With the warmer weather, it won't be long.
Moral of this story... be careful with your digits.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Finally getting there

Wow, that makes me wince! But I'm glad you've healed up and are continuing to play - especially with an audition coming up. That's good news. Congrats! Another proof that desire for drumming will help with healing after accidents!
Old 03-13-2011, 08:50 AM
jorn

That's good newsvindeed. I am glad you are getting better and still have the joy of playing drums!!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Gold Member

Very sorry about your accident. I lost the tip of my left index years ago and understand how difficult and depressing this can become. Glad to hear you are recovering and following your heart's desire. Rock on brother.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Silver Member

Now we can work on getting that fork out of your face;-) You wouldn't be the Stevo who staples his testicles to himself by any chance?
Old 03-30-2011, 01:43 AM

you didn't lose the fingers, so you must definitely be meant to still be drumming....gotta be thankful for that i bet. so go show them how drums are supposed to be played!
Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Wow, ouch! Glad to hear you're recovering, good luck with the audition. have you tried using a "pusher stick" for the saw? My Dad made one when he used his saw, looked like a 12 inch wooden ruler, with a notch at one end, looked a little strange, but it worked and wasn't so heavy or cumbersome that if it did get nicked by the saw it was not going to get kicked back at you.

take care
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 PM
wy yung

I want you to understand that you can get through this. Back in the mid nineties I fell while loading out gear and broke my back. I never thought I would play drums again. I could not walk but I still had my practice pad.

Here I am years later back to being a pro drummer. Not so much performing as teaching, but I am happy doing what I love.

Keep your chin up. Keep trying. Keep loving drumming.

My thoughts and my heart are with you in this. I look forward to keeping track of your progress.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM
HMNY
This message has been deleted by HMNY. Reason: off topic, threah "hijack", sorry
Old 03-31-2011, 03:39 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo View Post
On November 16, while working with my table saw, I put two fingers, index & middle, into the blade. I cut all the way through the last knuckles on those fingers. After working through some pain while playing, I am finally "almost" there.
I cannot use my index finger 100% yet, but have compensated somewhat, and do not have full control, but can play at a level I can enjoy. All the while, getting better.
I am auditioning for a band on Tuesday. I feel that confident. It will only get better.
On the flip side, I have not had the confidence to run the table saw. I'm not afraid of it, I just don't have control of my fingers enough to try it yet. With the warmer weather, it won't be long.
Moral of this story... be careful with your digits.
Stevo,

Do you ever get the feeling that drumming and the act of holding a drum stick for long periods of time have helped your fingers and hand to recover? Just curious.