DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM

Default Notes vs Online Lessons

Hey drummers... I have questions for you: what is better way of learning to play on drums (Notes, Online Lessons or just like me by ears) Could I play really good if I dont use notes? (but I know how to play those things without notes)

Im asking this becase Ive just found new personal teacher in my town and he said that the way Ive been playing till now is great like I can play a lot of rhytms/fills/chops/etc... but he thinks that the problem is that I dont know how to read notes really fast and it is unprofesional so how can I get improved if I dont know what Im playing thats what he said.

So what do you guys think about this issue (Im sorry for my english Im from SLOVAKIA ,hope you understand what I wanted to ask :) PEACE OUT!
Old 03-29-2011, 06:04 PM
wy yung

Default Re: Notes vs Online Lessons

IMO one on one lessons with a qualified teacher is best. Add to that intentive listening, transcription, playing with others etc all help. There is no one way. Online lessons are not as affective as being in the same room with a teacher who is able to see exactly what the student is doing.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:07 PM

I think all serious musicians should learn to read music. Just my opinion, though. I believe it helps you progress faster and teaches you more about what you are doing behind the kit than just sitting there and trying to copy what your favorite drummer is doing.

But obviously, step one is having a good instructor. :-)
Old 03-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Gold Member

I learnt reading drum music on my very first day of drumming. I'm so glad I did. However, it shouldn't take you long to learn the notation.

Davo
Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 PM

I know how to read the notation... but I dont like playing with that only if I wanna learn some lick so I find how is it written and then I practise it.
But for example if I play Bossa Nova or Songo beats I dont need to use notation cause I already know how to play pattern of those rhytms and I just add there new things and that my teacher doesnt like at all, he has exactly written what he plays in which songs. Does profesioanal players also have written every single rhytm?
Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 PM
wy yung

I am not really comprehending what it is you ask. I do not have rules as to how any groove must be played. I am a professional drummer who leans to the whatever works idea. I like to be maleable. One groove is not enough for multiple ensembles. One must adapt to various situations. There are many ways of doing the same thing. Which is why we study so hard to become competent.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:38 PM

So the OP's problem is that he can actually read music. He just can't read it fast. He also more freely interprets sheet music and doesn't actually play it note for note. His teacher wants him to play everything note for note and he wonders if you need to do that to be a drummer.

Since I'm not a pro drummer by any stretch of the imagination I'd rather leave this question up to the pros. My gut feeling though is that if you're doing a musical you'd better play what's on the sheet or you'll be fired. If you're in your own band though you are free to improvise.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:01 PM

Thank you Duracell you understand what is my problem and thank you for great answer :)
Old 03-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duracell View Post
Since I'm not a pro drummer by any stretch of the imagination I'd rather leave this question up to the pros. My gut feeling though is that if you're doing a musical you'd better play what's on the sheet or you'll be fired. If you're in your own band though you are free to improvise.
Any pro would agree with this. What you're supposed to play depends on the situation. And yes, some situations do require note-for-note accuracy (musical theatre, tribute bands, other perfectionist musicians). You might have little or no interest in these situations right now, but you might change your mind in the future, and so your instructor is trying to prepare you.

Learning to write the notes yourself is great for improving your understanding. Eventually, you may want to play things that are so complicated, or have to remember so much material, that it becomes necessary to write them on paper.