DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:06 AM

Default New kick pedal vs. ride cymbal dilemma!

Hi folks,

I'm an improving drummer looking to upgrade my kit to help my playing and/or extend the sound. At the moment I have a Tama Hyperdrive kit with HHX evolution hats and 16" crash, 16" 2002 crash and a Paiste Signagture 20" Full Ride. All is cool except for the ride - it produces a fanstastic range of sounds, but has just too much sustain and volume for my needs. Playing wise, my biggest drawback is my kick work. Although I am working on this, I think I need all the assistance I can get.

So, the dilemma is, should my investment (I have about US$ 200 to spend) be in a better kick pedal (currently using a basic single chain Big Dog) or a spare ride. Am considering either getting a Mapex Falcon pedal or a Zildjian K 20" ride. The ride will probably cost a bit more, even through Ebay. I suppose the big issue is, will a better pedal be worth it in terms of helping me improve my kick work, or will it not make much of a difference, in which case the new ride would be a better deal.

It would be great to hear any of your thoughts?

Cheers
Old 10-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: New kick pedal vs. ride cymbal dilemma!

I think those Paiste Signature rides sound fantastic. Not sure if you need a quieter one. However, I don't know what a Big Dog pedal is. Is it flimsy? Cheaply made? If it functions anything like an Iron Cobra Jr. or a DW5000, not sure you'll find anything that would feel better or different. Perhaps an Axis, Pearl Demon, or Trick would feel different, but the rest of them would all be a foot plate attached with a strap or a chain and controlled by an extending spring to bring it back. If your Big Dog does this already, you wouldn't need another pedal either.

What if you took that money and spent it on a good professional teacher for a few lessons?
Find your local hero and take a lesson. I took a lesson with Ed Shaugnessy once (kicked my butt for an hour and gave me three sheets of paper of stuff I still work on to this day). I have numbers of others I'll eventually ring up for a lesson soon. Sometimes a lesson with a real working pro can give alot of insights into your own improvement.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the comments Bo,

Great idea on the lessons. Sadly, it's not that easy for me, as I'm in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and although there are a bunch of drummers here, I'm not aware of any teachers. I guess it's really important, but seems like an expensive option when compared with books, DVDs for learning or hardware for building sounds.

The Big Dog pedal is probably comparable with the Tama Iron Cobra Junior. It's is a bit flimsy, since it doesn't have a base plate, but works pretty well. I guess the biggest constraint for my kick playing is technique and the lack of sufficient practise.

For the ride, the Signature Full is beautiful. The only problem is that it's got an awesome sustain, which is probably good for some applications, but gets in the way of others. I suppose it's not so much a quieter ride I'm after - more a ride that has a shorter sustain. Sounds samples of the K 20" sound just perfect - but like a lot of good cymbals, it doesn't come cheap.

Any other views out there on the pros and cons of a new ride sound versus a better pedal. Does the type of pedal used not make much difference to the easy of playing the kick? Has anyone had experience of using the Mapex Falcon. I've seen some pretty good reviews in the Drum magazines.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. James
Old 10-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legobeast View Post
Any other views out there on the pros and cons of a new ride sound versus a better pedal.
This comes down to a "Wants vs Needs" argument. Sure you want both of them, but which one do you feel you actually need to get the job done?......get that one first and save your coin for the other.

At the end of the day, you can play on anything.....cheap cymbals (I know the Sig. is not cheap...but you get the point), crappy pedals, stock heads....they all work. That's not to say that you should be content to keep the same gear forever, but if you keep that in perspective then it makes it easier to decide which one will benefit you most.

I note you say "Playing wise, my biggest drawback is my kick work"......just remember, you play the pedal, the pedal doesn't play you. Upgrading pedals is fine and whilst a new pedal may give you an extra 1%, it certainly isn't gonna miraculously change your footwork over night.....only time, repetition and practice will do that.

So can you play what you want to play on the pedal you have? Is the sound of the Sig. ride really too washy for you? Determine which upgrade would make you happiest and roll with that option......then start saving for the other.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Gold Member

Sounds like you can deal with the ride for a while but you need a good pedal to really give you some motivation and make you happier to be playing.
The Falcon pedals are awsome and I think yould be happier with the pedal than a new ride.
Get a new ride later. JMO.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I note you say "Playing wise, my biggest drawback is my kick work"......just remember, you play the pedal, the pedal doesn't play you. Upgrading pedals is fine and whilst a new pedal may give you an extra 1%, it certainly isn't gonna miraculously change your footwork over night.....only time, repetition and practice will do that.
Totally agree with your post Pocket, but I will sight a recent observation. My son was complaining that he couldn't get his doubles clean on the pedal that came with his Pearl Vision kit. I thought that was BS, so I tried it. Much to my amazement, it was true. The pedal was really difficult to get working. Tried adjustments, etc, but really no improvement. He got a new pedal last week, & boy, what a difference that made.

Ok, maybe my kick skills aren't the best, & some uber player could probably get that cheap Pearl pedal to work OK, but there was a big difference. I can choochoo double on a single pedal all day long. On this pedal, I couldn't even pull off a heal down bossanova for more than 10 seconds!
Old 10-24-2010, 11:23 AM

Depending on your skill level the pedal may not help that much, or may you may not even notice a difference. Better pedals are better, but cannot ever make up for skill. A good drummer can play on any pedal if they have to. As for the ride, you have a great ride already but if you are unhappy with the sound, why not try and sell your current ride and use that money to get a different ride? Or you can do what I do and just stick a piece of duct tape on it, it will take out a lot of the wash and some volume. If you are looking to upgrade something I'd say the pedal though because it sounds like you are still on a beginner pedal, and you should upgrade, but I'd save up for the perfect one you want because that's something that you will probably have forever.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 PM

Thanks for all the comments folks,

I suppose I'm moving toward the thinking that the pedal may be the best investment for now. I have a cheap pedal, and have tried REALLY cheap pedals, and there was a significant difference there, which was a help for someone like me with 'improving' technique. I think the adjusting potential on a better pedal might help a lot. Anyone else had experience with the Falcon?

I have tried moongel on the ride, but that somehow seems to kill ALL of the sound reducing the overall quality a lot - in total contrast to the rings I have on my toms which seem to improve the focus a lot without detracting so much from the sound.

Should be able to trade in some other gear to cover me for the pedal, and dream of the K ride for another day.

In the meantime, I suppose that first point on the lessons was spot on. My prob is the lack of teachers here, but I have heard that there are some folks who do distance tuition through the internet. Maybe there is a thread on that, but if anyone has info on possible options for that, it would be great to hear! Thx. James
Old 10-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Gold Member

The Falcon pedal is amazing. Its the smoothest pedal Ive ever played and the features and adjustability are world class. It also looks great and has semi long boards. Its the best conventional (non Axis or Trick or custom) pedal on the market IMO.

Check out this site...

www.falconpedal.com
Old 10-25-2010, 12:09 AM

If you play kick more than a ride, then I'd upgrade the kick first. I use this type of judgement for most of my purchases
Old 10-25-2010, 01:47 AM

Reading everyone's comments, IMO the best thing you could do is invest in a good solid pedal. I used to have trouble with my kick drum too and a new pedal made it much nicer to play my kit so I found I was practicing more and had a solid pedal to get power into the kick drum.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 AM

Well what kind of pedal do you have now? do you play with any groups right now? If your pedal is so bad that it's holding you back from improving then I would invest in a really nice pedal, and it will last you pretty much forever. And like you said 200$ isn't really enough for a worthwhile ride, so I would say either get a nice pedal now or save up a bit more for a nice ride.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the new responses on this folks,

My existing pedal is a Big Dog basic (i.e. not the double-chained 'pro' version). There is not a lot of adjustment potential, so I do have the feeling that an improved pedal could help my currently pretty mediocre footwork. Interesting to hear that very positive feedback on the Falcon. That sounds like it might be the best investment.

I'm not playing in a band at the moment, and mainly work on my own to improve with DVDs and books. Even with those, however, I can feel the limitations. I got the Thomas Lang DVD, and DO NOT want to look at it again! It's just way too scary! Sometimes, seeing really good technical players is soooo demoralizing! Am sure that a Falcon will not encourage me to dare to watch again (will stick with Tommy Igoe for the time being!), but it may help me get closer in time! Like one of you said, investments that will develop with you are often the best ones to make.

I suppose kick technique is something that should get more attention than it does. Perhaps it's because it's not exactly that easy to do a bit wherever you are, unlike hands work which you can practise so easily with a pad and sticks.

Anyway, cheers for all the REALLY helpful comments, and if there are any more, please go ahead. Even though I'm far far away from most of the community, this forum is a great way to feel 'connected'.

Thanks. James
Old 10-25-2010, 07:22 PM

Hey man, good luck with whatever you do get. Now, are you sure it's the kick pedal that's holding you back? Remember there are legendary players out there that just used a ludwig speedking and were able to do quite a bit with it. The thing is when you do get a new pedal, it'll take time to get used to it so you'll probably start off a little worse than you do now. Over time though you'll get better and a better pedal will help you get there faster.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Kick pedal is basic. You need to cover your basic needs first. Pedal. Throne. Snare. Hats Ride Crash. Put some moongel or some sort of choke on your cymbal to cut the sustain and volume, easy workaround. It's a good cymbal, just tweak it. Get the pedal so you have no excuses. I use a DW 5000. 139 USD. Great simple effective pedal, the "Speedking "of the current era IMO. I don't even think about it.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM

Thanks guys,

Throne - check, snare - check (the standard on the Tama Hyperdrive works pretty well with a Evans powercenter head), hats - check, crashes - check and ride - check. Moongel - check (though it seems to disintegrate after a while in the heat of the Indian Ocean coast!).

I am still a bit bothered by the common statement that the great used to play awesome kick stuff with the simplest of pedals. Still, I guess it's fair to say that for those of us mortals who have other jobs and can't afford multi-hour practise sessions on a daily basis, having a decent pedal should give us a bit of a leg up. Am certainly hoping that's the case.

Larrace, just curious - what did it take for you to get your DW5000 up and running as your speedking. Did you put in a lot of dedicated time just on the pedal work, or did the speed come slowly as you played more and more music?

Thanks again for all the really useful advice. James
Old 10-25-2010, 11:33 PM
Gold Member

Once you get a great pedal you are gonna be really exited to play your drums and your gonna totally look foreward to practicing.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:40 AM

That's a really encouraging comment, Homeularis!

Now, I was thinking that the Mapex Falcon would be the best pedal investment, but have seen that there are also some great review for the Tama Speed Cobra.

Anyone know of any comparisons of these two kick pedals out there? Thx. James
Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legobeast View Post
Hi folks,

I'm an improving drummer looking to upgrade my kit to help my playing and/or extend the sound. At the moment I have a Tama Hyperdrive kit with HHX evolution hats and 16" crash, 16" 2002 crash and a Paiste Signagture 20" Full Ride. All is cool except for the ride - it produces a fanstastic range of sounds, but has just too much sustain and volume for my needs. Playing wise, my biggest drawback is my kick work. Although I am working on this, I think I need all the assistance I can get.

So, the dilemma is, should my investment (I have about US$ 200 to spend) be in a better kick pedal (currently using a basic single chain Big Dog) or a spare ride. Am considering either getting a Mapex Falcon pedal or a Zildjian K 20" ride. The ride will probably cost a bit more, even through Ebay. I suppose the big issue is, will a better pedal be worth it in terms of helping me improve my kick work, or will it not make much of a difference, in which case the new ride would be a better deal.

It would be great to hear any of your thoughts?

Cheers
Homeularis is correct in what he says. The Falcon truly is an awesome pedal I switch between this and my Sleishman regularly just to spice things up but currently I'm using the Falcon. It comes with so many things that you wouldn't get from a regular pedal. It comes with 2 different cams 'Pursuit' for power and 'Glide' for smoothness. It also comes with chains and straps and the conversion is easy. I currently use the straps and my single pedal ability has never been better.

It is true what some people say though sometimes it is technique and not the equipment however bad equipment can hinder progress. The Big Dog was my first pedal upgrade and I found it to be ok for starting out but when I got my Iron Cobra after that, it made a huge difference but I also started thinking about the logics of how a pedal works, and this can really help with things you find difficult. I use the slide for quick doubles now and I find I can execute it just knowing how my pedal responds to certain foot movements.

In my opinion I would go with a pedal upgrade because you say your ride is beautiful if that is the case, people in the audience will probably think the same thing. If you really are serious about foot work, invest in a decent pedal there is nothing wrong with that. After all you don't have to practice on beginner gear because the sooner you get accustomed to a pedal that you can play for years and years the better.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Here's my 2 cents....

I don't now what type of band you play in Legobeast, ie: are you in a working band or if you play for fun as opposed to getting paid.
As a working drummer, I would be more concerned about how I sound as opposed to my level of technique. Like was already said, a better pedal will not improve your kick technique very much. Sure, we all like to play nice gear but at the end of the day practice will give you better results, on ANY pedal!
Old 10-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishthump View Post
Here's my 2 cents....

I don't now what type of band you play in Legobeast, ie: are you in a working band or if you play for fun as opposed to getting paid.
As a working drummer, I would be more concerned about how I sound as opposed to my level of technique. Like was already said, a better pedal will not improve your kick technique very much. Sure, we all like to play nice gear but at the end of the day practice will give you better results, on ANY pedal!
But surely using the bass drum is a vital part of how a drummer sounds and if you can't execute a stroke properly it's going to stick out by a country mile. I have seen countless drummers with good hand technique but terrible foot technique and it sounds awful, despite what the drum kit sounds like.

Correct practice can achieve good results on any pedal however he might be having to put in twice as much work because he can't get his pedal feeling the way he wants it to which is bad.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
But surely using the bass drum is a vital part of how a drummer sounds and if you can't execute a stroke properly it's going to stick out by a country mile. I have seen countless drummers with good hand technique but terrible foot technique and it sounds awful, despite what the drum kit sounds like.

Correct practice can achieve good results on any pedal however he might be having to put in twice as much work because he can't get his pedal feeling the way he wants it to which is bad.
I understand what you're saying, I'm just assuming the OP has a basic level of technique, ie - single strokes, which allows him to play the vast majority of simple grooves.
From what I've seen and read of the Big Dog pedals they seem well made, have adequate adjustment and have a good feel to them. Anybody who has been around for a few years knows that even the bottom range pedals these days are light years ahead of the gear beginners got saddled with in the past.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishthump View Post
I understand what you're saying, I'm just assuming the OP has a basic level of technique, ie - single strokes, which allows him to play the vast majority of simple grooves.
From what I've seen and read of the Big Dog pedals they seem well made, have adequate adjustment and have a good feel to them. Anybody who has been around for a few years knows that even the bottom range pedals these days are light years ahead of the gear beginners got saddled with in the past.
Ah I see what you are saying. Yes in that case I agree however he says his ride sounds beautiful so a pedal might be the better option anyways.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM

There is nothing wrong with the Big Dog pedals, they are great. I use one myself and feel no desire to upgrade. A new pedal won't improve your playing. Only practice will. Spend money on cymbals and time on practicing :-)
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1 View Post
Ah I see what you are saying. Yes in that case I agree however he says his ride sounds beautiful so a pedal might be the better option anyways.
Well he says his ride is "too loud". I know how I would solve that problem... just play louder! But that's just me!
Old 10-26-2010, 02:30 PM

Hmmm! Some good debate going on here! Not sure I'm getting much the wiser!

It's hard to cut through all the hype that the manufacturers put out. The new pedals seem to have a zillion improvements that are all supposed to bring improvements to kick action - how much of that is BS and how much is fact? It takes my mind even to sticks - is it really worth spending loads of money on the latest Vic Firth custom blah blah, or doesn't it make more sense just buying some Stagg seconds.

Unfortunately, with kicks, I don't have the chance to try before buying, but what I do know is that there was a massive difference between a cheapo pedal that came with my first (electronic) kit and the Big Dog. The Big Dog kind of works OK, though I just sense that it's lack of adjustment capability means that I'm not getting anywhere near the optimum action that I could get were more adjustment possible. But then, never having tried a fully adjustable pedal, I don't know.

Is there no real advantage to be gained from being able to adjust a pedal?
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM

Well, the fact that you're feeling such a marked difference between your old pedal and your Big Dog tells me that your Big Dog must be of decent quality!

But the fact that you can't test a pedal before buying one is not good news. I think any pedal needs to be tried out before you buy it.

Adjustment IS impotant on a pedal, but I don't think it is as important as the pedal having a good feel in the first place.

Exactly what can you adjust on the Big Dog?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

I have to say, the only useful adjustment that I ever really made on any kick pedal is spring tension (um, and I still end up at medium!). I have Pearl Eliminator (double) pedals which have a fair bit of adjustment (many different angles, footplate position forward/middle/back), spring tensions, etc) and I always end up adjusting everything back to how it arrived in the box.

Honestly I only bought that pedal because I wanted a double kick pedal. My old pedal was just fine too, and the new pedal didn't make me faster. It was practising that improved my playing. (I can highly recommend getting a double pedal though...)

My point is that I never got any significant improvement in my playing from the pedal itself. You're better off investing time in practicing instead! (and by the way that doesn't cost anything)

Your ride cymbal sounds nice too so I wouldn't let it go just yet. Before you look for a new one, try a little tape on the underside to dampen it, or just wait a while until you like it more! (years ago I wanted drier and drier rides, now I like more more under/overtones - funny how your tastes change with time). Remember also, that when you play with a band the sustain is less noticeable (same with the ring of your toms) - it gets lost in the overall band sound so might be less of a problem than it seems in isolation.

Whatever you do, if you are going to buy, I would say PLAY it before you buy it. Whether it's a pedal or a cymbal, you will be able to tell the difference and you will be happier with your choice. (and if you're buying a cymbal, take your other cymbals with you when trying it out, to see how it fits with your setup)

Either way, have fun choosing.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:07 PM

Significant adjustable elements are the spring tension and the length of the beater
Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM

I think it would be worth the money to find a teacher who is a foot technique expert and ask them about books, DVDs, and pedals. Keep saving until you can buy pro quality equipment and know exactly what you are looking for.

Also, check this out:

http://www.unburyingthebeater.com/

-sheldon
Old 10-27-2010, 11:38 AM

Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the Big Dog pedlas. Big Dog pedals are better than the pedals used by Buddy Rich, Tony Williams or Elvin Jones. I am not a Big Dog salesman or anything. I don't care what pedal you use. I am just trying to say that getting a different pedal won't improve your playing. Only practice will. Don't believe the pedal hype.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinozalove View Post
Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the Big Dog pedlas. Big Dog pedals are better than the pedals used by Buddy Rich, Tony Williams or Elvin Jones. I am not a Big Dog salesman or anything. I don't care what pedal you use. I am just trying to say that getting a different pedal won't improve your playing. Only practice will. Don't believe the pedal hype.
I have to agree. About 5 years ago I switched to a DW5000TD after playing a Speedking for nearly 20 years. Now, as good as the DW is it has not improved my playing one bit. It's simply has a smother action and is much more robust than the Speedking.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:49 PM

So it looks like there is a bit of a consensus emerging!

It's not the pedal, but the pedaller that matters.

So, I can save the money for the pedal.....

.... and I can save the money for a quieter ride too, as that's fixed with a bit of tape

.... actually, maybe I should have saved the money for the whole kit

..... why heck, air drumming is loads of fun - can't think why I ever dreamed of a real kit!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

Equipment always matters. It wont make you an incredible drummer (you have to do that) but it will definately help you to play better both phisically and give you a mental edge by making you confident in your gear and more relaxed.
Not to mention, you will be happier and again, more motivated.

This is just my opinion but it definately works for me, without a doubt.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Yeah, it may be all physcological but it 's always nicer to play good gear. It ups your game in my opinion.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 AM

But more seriously this time....

Yep, that's somehow also an important ingredient - how you feel about what you are sitting behind.

It might well have been possible for me to become Buddy Rich by working away tirelessly on my cheap electronic kit....

Well, errrr, nah - Maybe not Buddy Rich!

...but investing in a real kit with real cymbals has helped me up to a new level, and a lot of that is down to the sheer joy of sitting down behind something that looks and feels just great!

The point about hard work is really really valid, however - there's nought like it, and I will certainly take from this discussion a renewed energy to focus more on the feet. It's been great to read all of these totally helpful comments. Cheers guys.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member

I have bought so many pedals over the years I have lost count. That said I would definitely buy a sick ride cymbal over a new pedal (if I didn't have one already).