DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Listening to Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
creation

A comma would have gone a long way. :)
Dude. I'm not baiting you. If you don't want to have a discussion, that's fine, say that. But I'm honestly asking you to describe what you think happens during the act of creation. I'm curious. I'd love to discuss it. If not, that's fine, too, but come on.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 01-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
What do you think happens when we create (artistically)?
There have been a lot of studies on this topic, (none of which I've read, ha ), so here's my rough & ready take on it.

I think when we talk of the brain alone we are talking in the realm of the rational, the pre-meditative, even the innate understanding of patterns, symmetry of notes, chordal relationships, all the memory- related stuff that Ken mentioned.

The act of creativity I suspect somehow involves our other senses in a way that might even be beyond our ( at least mine ) current understanding. The heart, feelings, the emotions within, our association of sound with primal feelings, colors, moods all come into play in our moment of self expression.

The issue here is the role of the ear in this process. Is that the only input into this incredible sound making machine called the human being?

As an interesting aside, and sorry for going all zoological for a second, but elephants, as many of us know communicate with sub sonic- sounds which travel as vibrations through the earth.

What some of us might not know is that the elephants use their leg to receive these signal vibrations. They kinda lean on one foreleg, shifting all their weight onto it for maximum clarity. These creatures with these massive ears, using their legs to listen? Interesting!

What this has to do with the price of eggs, or deafness, or Beethoven, I have no idea.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Dude. I'm not baiting you. If you don't want to have a discussion, that's fine, say that. But I'm honestly asking you to describe what you think happens during the act of creation. I'm curious. I'd love to discuss it. If not, that's fine, too, but come on.
Several years ago, I was at an event with the composer Elliot Carter. Since he is the most renowned living American composer, and 100 years old, the NY Phil has been doing a lot of his music and having retrospectives on his art. I have been a long time listener to his music, he's a legend. It was very exciting to meet him and listen to what he had to say. I asked him a question that was very academic, something like I could see how he was influenced by Copland in this specific piece. He laughed at me, as if to say, you can never quantify what happens in the act of creation. Several months ago Carter was on Charlie Rose with Daniel Barenboim and James Levine. it was interesting to watch the academic, intellectual 'insights' of Barenboim and Levine, and see the snicker in Carter's face, and the gleam in his eyes as he very covertly poked fun at them. I knew that snicker and that gleam; but at least now I felt I was in good company.