DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:52 AM
Silver Member

Default Space Aliens at the local bar

I've been playing with a new band for the past few months. We now have almost enough original and cover tunes to do three sets. We're looking for some places to play. Tonight I went to a bar to scout out an open mic for the band to play at. I have not seen anything like this before. They had a drummer, a guitar player, two singers, and the guitar player sang too. But, they played behind a Kereoke sound track.

I figured I was there so why not play a set. But that was before I knew what was going on, they had a sign up sheet for my name, and then they gave me a list of songs to choose from. That was different, usually I would just play what tunes everyone else wanted to play and it was decided when everyone was ready to play.

It was just so strange to me to watch this partial live and partial recorded music. I told them I was a drummer, again before I knew what was going on. While watching the band do their opening set, I must of had a look on my face like I just saw space aliens land on Earth.

I have to assume that this type of thing has been going on for a while and it is only me that has never seen this before.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:12 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Space Aliens at the local bar

Wow! I’m with you. I’ve been to lots of jams. Never heard of that before.
Crazy..........

Old 01-04-2019, 05:16 AM
Silver Member

As I said, I told them I was a drummer, but before I knew what was going on. One of the singers approached me and asked me if I'd like to sit in. I simply said it was against my religion to play Kereoke. She did not like that too much.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

Yes, a drummer buddy does this one night a week for probably a year now

Similar setup, drums, two guitars, singer. The karaoke machine supplies the bass, keys, a click to the drummer, and the lyrics on a screen for the singers that sign up.

The karaoke machine has 400 songs in it, and the band has no idea what songs will be selected.

Not my thing. But it exists.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:04 PM

Sounds like hell. Why would anyone find this enjoyable?
Old 01-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
As I said, I told them I was a drummer, but before I knew what was going on. One of the singers approached me and asked me if I'd like to sit in. I simply said it was against my religion to play Kereoke. She did not like that too much.
Hahahahaha! My thanks to you personally for that!

Sitting in already has enough variables — now we have to endure every “singer” in the place? This kind of thing hastens the extinction of live music.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:16 PM
Administrator - Mayor

We have a bar here with a live band that does live Karaoke. They can play almost anything. You fill out a request for a song you wish to sing and they play while you sing live.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

I had a bar job in my teens and used to loathe karaoke night with a passion.

The same people singing the same awful songs awfully every week absolutely dripping in reverb to try and mask the fact they can't sing in tune.

Getting flashbacks!
Old 01-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Various places can have very different open mic sessions. I'd go find another venue.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
We have a bar here with a live band that does live Karaoke. They can play almost anything. You fill out a request for a song you wish to sing and they play while you sing live.
No doubt the band needs a large repertoire, but frequently, you get lead vocalists whose command of the material is shaky at best.

A bit off topic -- I was in a bar with a cover band (forget their name) near the Gulf Coast, in a club in the Mercato shopping mall. Great band, fantastic singers, doing a nice mix of RnB, funk/disco, pop, and the female lead vocalist could nail a lot of Shakira and other Latin pop. Sweet, sweet band. Chatted up the drummer and bassist -- they work 5 nights per week. GD does this ring any bells?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottliver View Post
I agree... Personally I would not enjoy going out to see and hear that. Then again Karaoke is a thing... so I can see certain people eating this up.

Hasn't this been going on for awhile with top artists. I've heard about artists performing huge crowds with no band {cough} {cough} Britney Spears {cough}

Bottom line, things change and much of it passing my ass up.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
Now that's something that requires extremely capable + versatile players!
Old 01-04-2019, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottliver View Post
It is IMHO.

I tried to attend one my buddy's gigs. I mean, trying to navigate 400+ songs without a setlist has to be something to see, right?

After about 20 minutes, I wanted to shoot myself. I had to leave.

Listening to so many random drunks who can't sing trying to front a band is painful.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
No doubt the band needs a large repertoire, but frequently, you get lead vocalists whose command of the material is shaky at best.

A bit off topic -- I was in a bar with a cover band (forget their name) near the Gulf Coast, in a club in the Mercato shopping mall. Great band, fantastic singers, doing a nice mix of RnB, funk/disco, pop, and the female lead vocalist could nail a lot of Shakira and other Latin pop. Sweet, sweet band. Chatted up the drummer and bassist -- they work 5 nights per week. GD does this ring any bells?
This band plays at C.J.s on Treasure Island Florida.

www.cjsontheisland.com
Old 01-04-2019, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

I play along to recordings in my basement. but that is mostly to learn things. When I play with living breathing musicians, I enjoy being able to shape the sound and direction of the music. Everyone reacts to everyone else. I just cannot express in words how revolting it would be to play Kereoke.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:01 PM
Administrator - Mayor

The band is playing live music, jamming, and people from the crowd are singing. It's a lot of fun from what I see. They aren't playing along to music. They are the music
Old 01-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

I've been meaning to try out the local Korean Karoake place. Though from what I understand, Karoake is expensive where you rent a small room and invite only close friends.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
I had a bar job in my teens and used to loathe karaoke night with a passion.

The same people singing the same awful songs awfully every week absolutely dripping in reverb to try and mask the fact they can't sing in tune.

Getting flashbacks!
When I was in college I used to have to run sound for karaoke nights. Now that is some difficult stuff.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:51 PM

Sounds just a little like playing the Rock Band video game. But it definitely has to be more involved than that. I would have to hear and see such a setup. I'm not sure if I would like that. Playing along with music in your ear to practice and learn a song is one thing. But I would like a bit of spontaneity and improv when I play.

I don't know, could be fun.
Old 01-05-2019, 03:54 PM
Gold Member

I think live band karaoke would be pretty cool. Seems like a good way for a cover band to do some gigs, especially if they have issues with finding a good vocalist. Don't really get the whole band+recorded track thing though. If you wanted to still be able to do the bouncy ball thing, you could just have it clicked out and all that.

Honestly, I could see a good band be able to make some good money off of this kind of idea.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Not much different than the trend I've read about here with band's playing live with backing tracks of other/ additional instruments. That seems to be widely accepted. Not my thing but I see it here all the time.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarina View Post
I agree... Personally I would not enjoy going out to see and hear that. Then again Karaoke is a thing... so I can see certain people eating this up.

Hasn't this been going on for awhile with top artists. I've heard about artists performing huge crowds with no band {cough} {cough} Britney Spears {cough}

Bottom line, things change and much of it passing my ass up.
With Britney there's no one onstage who's performing live. That girl can't even lip sync! Her voice coach probably told her to go long, very long,
Old 01-15-2019, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
I've been playing with a new band for the past few months. We now have almost enough original and cover tunes to do three sets. We're looking for some places to play. Tonight I went to a bar to scout out an open mic for the band to play at. I have not seen anything like this before. They had a drummer, a guitar player, two singers, and the guitar player sang too. But, they played behind a Kereoke sound track.

I figured I was there so why not play a set. But that was before I knew what was going on, they had a sign up sheet for my name, and then they gave me a list of songs to choose from. That was different, usually I would just play what tunes everyone else wanted to play and it was decided when everyone was ready to play.

It was just so strange to me to watch this partial live and partial recorded music. I told them I was a drummer, again before I knew what was going on. While watching the band do their opening set, I must of had a look on my face like I just saw space aliens land on Earth.

I have to assume that this type of thing has been going on for a while and it is only me that has never seen this before.
As strange as this may seem, I would honestly dig this if I was out at a bar.

You mean I can get up onstage for karaoke and not sing? Even better I get to play some drums?!

Haven't heard of this before, but seems like it could be a hit with a bar crowd. Having a band play at this particular establishment... eh probably not the best venue.

Were people switching out after every song like a regular karaoke session? Or was the same group of people on stage the whole night?