DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default RIP Brady Drums

I'm sorry if this is posted somewhere else on this forum, but here's what they posted on their FB account and website (http://www.bradydrums.com.au/):

It is with sadness that we announce our decision to close Brady Drums.
In recent years, our founder and master craftsman, Chris Brady has battled a number of serious health concerns, including a mild stroke. Thankfully, the stroke left no serious damage, however Chris still continues to battle two other chronic conditions.
Subsequently, regulations set forth by the Australian Corporations Act 2001 (Sect. 201(A)) required us to look at alternatives to our business structure and operations, including but not limited to, the possibilities of moving overseas, or an acquisition to a larger manufacturer or moving operations to another entity. Ultimately, none of these options would ensure that our vision for our instruments and how they should be represented would remain intact so we have chosen for the BRADY brand to have a graceful exit from the marketplace at this time, effective immediately.
The Brady family continues to retain ownership of the BRADY trademark. As his health permits, Chris will continue to develop new concepts and even handcraft the occasional BRADY drum from time to time, however we expect this to be sporadic and small-scale in nature.
We are truly, deeply humbled by the way that our fellow drummers around the world have embraced our handcrafted instruments with the same fierce passion we have had in creating them. As Chris was handcrafting his very first drums in garage of our home in Roleystone, Western Australia in 1980, he never could have imagined that his curiosity to seek out new sounds for drummers would have resulted in a worldwide reputation. We are proud that our unique BRADY sound has pioneered acceptance in the international marketplace for instruments crafted from exotic and indigenous species by other superb Australian companies like Sleishman, Fidock, Metro Drum Co, Red Rock Drums, Evetts Drums and SIA Drums.
We would also like to give recognition to the small handful of talented individuals who have worked alongside the Brady family to bring our instruments to the world, especially Ric Shinnick, Steve Essex, Darren Versaico, Craig Anderson and Lea Adams, the latter two whom have grown into an excellent craftsman. Thank you.
No words can adequately express our gratitude to you all for your 35 years of support. It has been a magnificent journey.

The Brady Family
Old 12-01-2015, 01:54 AM

Default Re: RIP Brady Drums

Maybe perhaps&possibly if they offered lower-ended&priced drums would they've still be able to stay in business?, as apparently it's the cost of the glue which makes them as expensive as a RR (Rolls Royce) not too mention raw material costs NOT inc labour of course!.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzodownunder View Post
Maybe perhaps&possibly if they offered lower-ended&priced drums would they've still be able to stay in business?, as apparently it's the cost of the glue which makes them as expensive as a RR (Rolls Royce) not too mention raw material costs NOT inc labour of course!.
Spot on.

And if my uncle had boobs he'd be my aunt.
Old 12-01-2015, 02:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe, perhaps and possibly, this is one of those time where it would have been best to keep silent and only be thought of as foolish?

Alas, you've allowed your mouth to open across three different threads related to this now. It's making it increasingly difficult to eliminate the "remove all doubt" part of the old adage.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:05 AM

Pocket does not freedom of speech come to mind?,
As i was just simply doing that :expressing MY opinions&MY viewpoints which obvisouly DON'T agree with yours or other posters on this thread&you know what?,
I'm fine with that but foolish ? or expressing my opinions&viewpoints? really? hmmm DONT think so BUT YOU'RE entitled to YOUR opinions&viewpoints as iam of mine let's just agree to disagree?!.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Pocket does not freedom of speech come to mind?,
As i was just simply doing that :expressing MY opinions&MY viewpoints which obvisouly DON'T agree with yours or other posters on this thread&you know what?,
I'm fine with that but foolish ? or expressing my opinions&viewpoints? really? hmmm DONT think so BUT YOU'RE entitled to YOUR opinions&viewpoints as iam of mine let's just agree to disagree?!.
Of course you are free to express your opinions. We all have that right regardless of how ill-conceived, incorrect, idiotic or unreasonable they may be.

We do not however, have the right to believe that our ill-conceived, incorrect, idiotic or unreasonable opinions can't be held up to scrutiny or otherwise challenged by counter argument.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:36 AM

This seemed appropriate..
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Glue - I read an interview with Chris Brady years ago where he said that the special glue he used in one drumkit cost as much as some other entire kits. Apparently it cured to the same hardness and response as the wood itself.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Maybe perhaps&possibly if they offered lower-ended&priced drums would they've still be able to stay in business?

You know, I don't know.

I've had lots of discussions regarding the "cheapening of a brand name" whenever a higher-end drum builder starts building cheaper drum sets. Some people believe that high-end drum builders should only build high-end drums and not delve into cheaper, lower-cost lines. While I like the idea of drum companies (like Brady) only building high-end drums, I understand the need of some companies building lower-end kits in order to stay in business. It's happened with several drum companies. As far as my opinion goes, I guess it's something like this: I like the romantic notion of a company only making high-end drums. It brings with it a certain level of mystique and pride of ownership. However, whenever a high-end/boutique drum company starts making lower-end drums, it sort of does something to that brand. For example, it's really not that big of a deal to see that OCDP logo head on stage anymore like it used to be in the mid-1990s. With that said, companies use the lower lines to support building the pro kits. I guess I have mixed opinions about it all.

Quote:
...apparently it's the cost of the glue which makes them as expensive as a RR (Rolls Royce) not too mention raw material costs NOT inc labour of course!.
Well, I don't perceive Brady as the kind of company that does run-of-the-mill Keller kits (not that there's anything wrong with a Keller kit! Heck, I own one). Are Brady drums over-priced? I don't know. Maybe to some they are, and to their customers, apparently not. I think when it comes to a certain level of musical instrument, some folks have a hard time understanding the economics of it all. For example, there is A LOT of difference between a $500 drum set and a $1500 drum set. Along the same lines, there are differences between a $2,500 set and a $5,000 drum set, but the difference isn't going to be as great as it is between the $500 set vs the $1500 set. Those small sonic differences and improvements cost a lot more once you reach a certain level. They are there, but they are going to cost. Some see the value in it while others don't. For me, it's not worth it, but for others it is. If someone wants to throw $5k at a drum set, have at it...just make sure to post pictures. :)