DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:03 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Default I'm a jaded music industry guy

One of my friends on FB sent me this link, he was quite excited about it, then I go to see it and I'm kinda' "meh".

I mean no disrespect (well, maybe I do), but I thought it was funny as the first thing I felt was that Pearl Corporation had produced a stereotypical politically correct Latin drumming commercial, right down to the "call and response" of the group before they played. Since all instruments are Pearl instruments, and all players are wearing their super-cool Pearl collared t-shirts with the brand name emblazoned, I'm pretty sure they wanted me to buy some Pearl stuff.

They added Scott Johnson into the mix (he was the Blue Devils Drum & Bugle Corps drum instructor), and I had to chuckle out loud because all I could think was "there's a guy in this lineup who doesn't belong and he's playing a washboard".

You be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMBryZvsJQo

Again, I mean no disrespect, and I suppose it is cool to see different drumming genres mesh together to create grooves, especially one so rooted in traditions as Latin percussion is, combining with a guy playing a modern marching snare drum. But it still made me laugh as all kinds of meme's flashed through my brain as to what I was seeing.

I'm pretty sure I hear a washboard ;)
Old 07-25-2015, 12:43 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I'm a jaded music industry guy

The marching drum really jarred with me in that "jam". Although well played, it detracted from the vibe for me.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:00 AM
Administrator - Mayor

Good feel to it. Don't forget Latin bands will at times have on the same stage an accordion and a sousaphone. so anything goes.
The timbale player was playing something with his right hand down on the side of the right side timbale which I couldn't see. to

Last edited by GruntersDad; 07-25-2015 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:13 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Good feel to it. Don't forget Latin bands will at times have on the same stage an accordion and a sousaphone. so anything goes.
The timbale player was playing something with his right hand down on the side of the right side timbale which I couldn't see. to
He's playing a cascara pattern on the timbale shell with his right hand. Maybe the marching snare shoulda been a high pitched regular snare and the set drummers snare tuned lower. I appreciate the new modern marching snare sound but I totally hate it too.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bo Eder View Post
.... I appreciate the new modern marching snare sound but I totally hate it too.

Your marching snare sounds like a woodpecker - yeah baby!

LOL

Nice chops and groove though.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:03 AM
Platinum Member

It struck me as a Pearl advert with a kinda "Worlds Collide" theme. The playing was good, and the performers mostly appeared to enjoy themselves. Strange bedfellows can sometimes lead to far more interesting offspring, as we saw with union of Rhythm&Blues with latino rhythms in the late 50's.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 AM
Renegade

If you squint or close your eyes then you can't see the Peal logos :)

Listening to percussion jams tends to bore me, even with monster playing like this. Great idea, though. I thought it worked well and sounded good, woodpeckers and all.

Funny thing with the Kevlar military snare heads and double kick triggers - if you want to play super fast and you need clarity then you have to use very short sounds that make you sound like a woodpecker or an old modem. No way around it.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like BBs in a soda can to me. Whatever happened to the sound of a "snare"?
Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I've been saying this for years. Enough already. Tune to about 1/10th of that tension and see if you're still so squeaky clean. I really detest that tone and can't get on board.

Now get the HELL OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!

Rotten kids why I oughta....
Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Gold Member

No idea why people are hating on pearl so much.. i like their hardware. never owned their drums though...

But that blue drum, is that even a drum? it sound likes he just playing on a table top.. never heard anything pulled that tight..
Old 07-25-2015, 04:07 PM

I agree you are a jaded music industry guy! Nothing wrong with that.

I thought it grooved really well. These are some great players who blended together nicely. Thanks for sharing.

As for the snare sound; it was what it was - the monster chops and groove on display more than offset the tightness of the drum.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech View Post
But that blue drum, is that even a drum? it sound likes he just playing on a table top.. never heard anything pulled that tight..
Yes, it's a drum. It's a drum & bugle corps snare. To play one IS like playing on a tabletop. In fact, they can injure you if you're not careful.

Bob Davis

www.reconstructinghistory.com
Old 07-25-2015, 08:09 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBob View Post
Yes, it's a drum. It's a drum & bugle corps snare. To play one IS like playing on a tabletop. In fact, they can injure you if you're not careful.
And it takes 12 of them to thicken up the snare sound;)
Old 07-25-2015, 08:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
...which goes back to what Larry wrote: When you've got 12 of them playing at once, the playing has to be awesome and TIGHT, or else it sounds like a truckload of Wuhan china cymbals thrown over a cliff. :P

Bob Davis

Old 07-25-2015, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

Like this: https://youtu.be/_ool6RJs6Do

Bob Davis

Old 07-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

This is how I remember drum corp - silver dot or black dot snare heads. They seem plenty crisp to me. :)

https://youtu.be/GPiDCLcvITk

As for the vid Bo posted - it was just an ad wasn't it? Not much to get excited about one way or the other. Decent playing, looked like they were having fun.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
And it still doesn't make it-- listening from the stands, they're pathetically weak-- no power. And it screws up the sound of the ensemble-- the range where the snare drum is supposed to be is just empty. I like to compare this recording from 1978, with this one from 1987 (recorded by my friend Nate Beck, with the recorder under his uniform, the first year they used kevlar), with this one from 2011. The recording media are all different, but the experience of each of them is accurate.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:01 PM
Gold Member

Meh. Different strokes. (Har. See what I did there?)

The old stuff - and I came up in the late 80s and early 90s - just sounds tubby and muddy. I remember the challenge of transition, where the Kevlar made us realize just how sloppy we were as an ensemble.

There is nowhere for sloppiness to hide in a snare line playing modern corps drums. I like that.

Bob Davis

Old 07-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Platinum Member

Well, you don't know what you're missing. Hearing the Blue Devils or SCV on Ludwig drums in the early 80s was just an entirely different experience than this current thing-- way more viscerally exciting. The only people I remember sounding tubby were Phantom Regiment, who persisted in using non-cutaway tenors too long, and anyone using those slotted snares-- the Freelancers et al. I went to a Devs show ~10 years ago and was so disappointed I never went back. A great drumline, but it was about as pleasurable as watching Michael Brecker play an EWI-- you know there's something heavy going on, but you have to work at it to find it emotionally engaging.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:10 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddbishop View Post
Well, you don't know what you're missing. Hearing the Blue Devils or SCV on Ludwig drums in the early 80s was just an entirely different experience than this current thing-- way more viscerally exciting. The only people I remember sounding tubby were Phantom Regiment, who persisted in using non-cutaway tenors too long, and anyone using those slotted snares-- the Freelancers et al. I went to a Devs show ~10 years ago and was so disappointed I never went back. A great drumline, but it was about as pleasurable as watching Michael Brecker play an EWI-- you know there's something heavy going on, but you have to work at it to find it emotionally engaging.
The last time I went to a DCI show I felt the same way, and that was just two years ago. I have no desire to go now. I do, however, enjoy the US Marine Corps drum and bugle corps, and the US Army Old Guard. But the modern stuff can have it's new audience. I appreciate what they do, but there's no emotional connection for me these days.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

I think there's a lot more intricacy you can bring out from a modern battery ensemble. The very dry, very defined nature of the instruments means you can realize music you just can't get from the instruments of the pre-Kevlar era. A 2015 drum corps is a completely different beast than a 1985 drum corps, in every imaginable way.

Wow, this argument has been going on since the instruments began to change. I remember heated discussions on DCA corps buses - pitched bass drums vs BOOM BOOM, Kevlar vs Mylar, G horns vs Bb horns, amplified electronics vs analog, ad nauseum. Then, as now, the only way out with dignity for anyone involved is to agree to differ. :-)

It's probably what you "come up" with. I came up when tuned basses, quints, and kevlar were filtering down to the high-school marching band level, when the Crossmen were still in Philly and the Cadets were still in Bergen County. So that's all I've really ever known. I never knew the previous era, except for DCA shows involving the Caballeros (NJ) in the early 1990s; the Cabs were still "from goal line to goal line in block, counter-march, toss-the-baton" traditional at that time. Hell, they didn't even really have a pit. And, sadly, they kind of got made fun of for how behind the times they were. Killer horn line, though. Anyway.

I'm actually crushed I can't go to DCI East next weekend. From what I've found on YouTube of the 2015 shows, they're pretty killer.

Bob Davis

Old 07-26-2015, 03:34 AM
Platinum Member

I don't like the Kevlar sound, but I like the clip just fine. I must not be as jaded or something.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:06 AM
Silver Member

Love or hate the kevlar sound doesn't matter. People enjoy going out to watch drum corps shows. Even a small show like is happening in the closest town to me this upcoming week will draw a crowd 10 times larger than the most popular local band. When was the last time people here were able to play in front of crowds numbering in the thousands. The small local show will have about 3,000 people this coming week.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:28 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I don't like the Kevlar sound, but I like the clip just fine. I must not be as jaded or something.
My jadedness was not triggered by the kevlar snare drum. It was the clear blatant advertising, and the stereotypical latin percussion ensemble. I suppose the washboard player was an added bonus ;)

You'll have to forgive me when I say "stereotypical latin ensemble". Living in and around Los Angeles, it's a quite common thing to see, and they all do pretty much the same thing. Like when I hear rappers tellin' the crowd to "get their hands in the air", or the heavy metal fist pump.

This of course may lead me into another tirade, but I always find it amusing when people encourage each other to "be unique" in what they do. Yet, if they want to make a living, they must fit in somehow by emulating what the paying public wants to see. How bands like King Crimson manage to exist at all is staggering when you think about it.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:21 AM
Renegade

Quote:
... if they want to make a living, they must fit in somehow by emulating what the paying public wants to see. How bands like King Crimson manage to exist at all is staggering when you think about it.
So true! A great way to make a living if you can swing it :)
Old 07-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You'll have to forgive me when I say "stereotypical latin ensemble". Living in and around Los Angeles, it's a quite common thing to see, and they all do pretty much the same thing. Like when I hear rappers tellin' the crowd to "get their hands in the air", or the heavy metal fist pump.

This of course may lead me into another tirade, but I always find it amusing when people encourage each other to "be unique" in what they do. Yet, if they want to make a living, they must fit in somehow by emulating what the paying public wants to see. How bands like King Crimson manage to exist at all is staggering when you think about it.
Okay, I get you. Yes, I can relate to that. I guess I see less of this particular type of ensemble than you are receiving regular doses of, so it didn't strike that same nerve for me. But sure, over time, that stuff becomes very cloying and wears out its welcome.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

This (un)marching drummer has an amazing technique, but I fail to hear any music in his playing.

Here's a very musical ensemble, using only basic techniques ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVwJTXz7j98
Old 07-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

I don't get how you can be jaded by an advertisement being an advertisement?? It's not like they said.. hey look at what we just happened to film.. and they are all just randomly are playing pearl gear.. and wearing pearl clothing, what a coincidence!
Old 07-28-2015, 01:17 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STXBob View Post
Meh. Different strokes. (Har. See what I did there?)

The old stuff - and I came up in the late 80s and early 90s - just sounds tubby and muddy. I remember the challenge of transition, where the Kevlar made us realize just how sloppy we were as an ensemble.

There is nowhere for sloppiness to hide in a snare line playing modern corps drums. I like that.
+1

I was in Marching band and the snares were not tuned low by any stretch of the imagination!

This was when Drum and Bugle Corps was really coming on strong and the demise of Parade Bands and their sounds were in their demise!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Old 07-28-2015, 01:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
One of my friends on FB sent me this link, he was quite excited about it, then I go to see it and I'm kinda' "meh".

I mean no disrespect (well, maybe I do), but I thought it was funny as the first thing I felt was that Pearl Corporation had produced a stereotypical politically correct Latin drumming commercial, right down to the "call and response" of the group before they played. Since all instruments are Pearl instruments, and all players are wearing their super-cool Pearl collared t-shirts with the brand name emblazoned, I'm pretty sure they wanted me to buy some Pearl stuff.

They added Scott Johnson into the mix (he was the Blue Devils Drum & Bugle Corps drum instructor), and I had to chuckle out loud because all I could think was "there's a guy in this lineup who doesn't belong and he's playing a washboard".

You be the judge:

Again, I mean no disrespect, and I suppose it is cool to see different drumming genres mesh together to create grooves, especially one so rooted in traditions as Latin percussion is, combining with a guy playing a modern marching snare drum. But it still made me laugh as all kinds of meme's flashed through my brain as to what I was seeing.

Do we have jackets for the JMIG club? Let me know when mine is ready for sizing.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Hahaha! Then I'd be jaded about advertising that I'm jaded.

Get off my lawn!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

I'm not really into drum line, but after a quick comparison I think I preferred the old school sound. It's a like a lot of modern stuff .. very clean, too clean, almost sterile.

As for the OP .. I tend not to be a fan of adverts in general, or people trying to sell me things. I don't like the slick look of it, but the playing is kinda cool. It would never ever convince me to buy anything. Oddly Pearl has never done anything for me, I don't know why. Some brands just do it for me and some don't, even without seeing any adverts.. no idea why. It's probably the initial impression from there products.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:

You be the judge:

I actually really liked it. It's interesting combining the two. Still, there was an odd feeling to it. I've always liked the marching guys' technical skills, but not really as music. It seems too systematic, even when combined with the latin percussion instruments. The two don't mesh perfectly.

The commercialization of the video is just to sponsor the company, which I regard as neither good nor bad, just as accepted.
Old 11-27-2015, 03:00 PM

I just stumbled across this looking for something else.

I was fortunate enough to start out my journey in AfroCuban percussion at a workshop with these folks, about 20 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhsU9UcdeNQ

Simply put. That video is horsesh*t.
Old 11-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

^ agreed.

The supporting cast in that video is doing far more interesting stuff, musically, than the marching snare.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:05 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sKit View Post
I just stumbled across this looking for something else.

I was fortunate enough to start out my journey in AfroCuban percussion at a workshop with these folks, about 20 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhsU9UcdeNQ

Simply put. That video is horsesh*t.
But where's the washboard?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
But where's the washboard?
Here try these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqLFeLhyLi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInuHtWPigM

Then tell me if you still miss the washboard. :-)
Old 11-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Matt Bo Eder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sKit View Post
Here try these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqLFeLhyLi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sInuHtWPigM

Then tell me if you still miss the washboard. :-)
I was being sarcastic. I didn't really understand the marching snare idea ;)
Old 11-27-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. I didn't really understand the marching snare idea ;)
Oh I know, but check out the videos anyway.

Kind of funny that the guys in the original post's video were actually playing clave but weren't really en clave.