DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:36 AM

Default Anti-Slip Drumsticks?

Are there any drawbacks for it?

Im finding myself struggling at this time controlling the sticks from slipping between my thumb and index finger so I was hoping this could do the trick
Old 11-26-2014, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Anti-Slip Drumsticks?

I'm watching this thread with great interest, as I had this issue early on as well, as does my neighbor. My sticks would often creep up as I played causing me to have to strategically shuffle them back down from time to time between beats.

Then I took a drum lesson and had my instructor fix my grip/stroke and ergonomics. It honestly hasn't been a problem since that lesson and subsequent month's practice. Now I see others wearing gloves, using tape, and buying sticky sticks, and feel like I might be missing out on something.

So I ask the community, is this not likely a technique issue, or are there styles, facets, and peculiarities of drumming that I've not yet encountered where slippage is a real issue?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:54 AM
Silver Member

i used to use ProMarks that had a texture coating on the grips years ago. They still have a "Pro-Grip" series but im not sure they are the same. I did not notice a change in feel, but if I recall they were good if your hands sweat. I would suggest just buying and trying a set an form your own opinions. That piece of mind would only cost you less then $15 USD. ;-)
Old 11-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

An effected stick may have a few issues:

1) Rim clicks may be softer.

2) If you play the butt end on the snare - like I do - you no longer have the grip portion in your snare hand.

The best method to solve both is to use tape on the affected fingers. I like Nexcare Waterproof Tape, and unless you wrap every finger and use a lot, one roll will cost far less (over several pair) than the factory coating on sticks.

Or, wrap the sticks yourself, which addresses the butt-snare issue (in which case, your rim clicks will also be clean.)

Of course, if you rarely break sticks, and you don't need rim clicks, then a coated stick will be your best bet from a cost perspective.

Bermuda
Old 11-26-2014, 04:11 PM

all drummers need to master the second nature micro adjustment

it should be automatic and happen without you even knowing

all sticks slip and rotate ... they are supposed to

I cannot stand dipped or wrapped sticks .... and wearing gloves is just ridiculous to me
Old 11-26-2014, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with WhoIsTony...Moving into a dynamic mobile agile grip helps a lot.

A stiff 'death' grip on a stick really accentuates anything impeding the friction between stick and skin.

I think letting the stick provide a larger amount of the applied force also helps reduce incidence of lost grip.

...all that said, rosin can be a good solution-but makes micro-adjustments harder...natural finish sticks have a great friction profile.(or sticks with the finish sanded off)

To deal with excessive sweat, industrial strength anti-perspirant on your hands before playing can help.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

I guess I'm kind of the rebel here because I use Vic Grip 5As. They have almost completely solved my stick-slipping problem. I got my pair for like $11 on musiciansfriend.com. They're great and they don't slip.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:54 PM
Platinum Member

I guess my only remaining question would be: What exactly are drummers doing when their sticks slip? Is it when they're trying to whip really hard, or trying to double stroke from RT to FT? I've gotta be missing something here.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

With all the emphasis of having a "loose" grip it's no wonder sticks are a flying. I injured my left index finger I haven't been able to bend it for a year or more (some posters have commented on the weird straight finger)-I adapted my grip to move my fulcrum to my thumb and middle finger-but it was so loose I got the rubber grips. I'm almost 60 and I thought it was arthritis or something or a bad strain. Couldn't ball my fist without the finger just sticking out. Funny thing is recently I was using an ax to hammer a stake and I missed hitting my index. Holly molly it hurt but within the day I could bend my finger and make a fist again. Yeah. Strange but true. Now I got my grip back but I'll stick that dang finger out again if I'm playing lightly and move my fulcrum from thumb index to thumb middle. It is like I keep giving myself the "finger". LOL
Old 11-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

"The best method to solve both is to use tape on the affected fingers. I like Nexcare Waterproof Tape, and unless you wrap every finger and use a lot, one roll will cost far less (over several pair) than the factory coating on sticks."
Now that's brilliant-I should have thought of that. LOL. And too it will make me more conscious if I slip back to giving myself the finger. ha,ha.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:06 AM
Silver Member

My hands are a little too dry, and sometimes for a quick fix I just make my fingers a little wet by licking them, but I normally use Zildjian Drumstick Wax.

Years ago, through my site I was approached by a guy who wanted to send me a box of wax, just to try it out. I liked it very much and I've been using it ever since.

Later he sold his recipe to Zildjian. I still have the original box with a blue sticker, as well as a few boxes of Zildjian's. One box in each of my stick bags, one at home, one in my studio. I can play without the wax, but it feels great with it.

It's pretty cheap and it lasts forever, and I remember John Riley saying, in his DVD I think, that he uses it too.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:47 AM
Platinum Member

OH BOY. I can finally log onto this forum again !!

Here is my story regarding anti-slip sticks. I never used anti-slip sticks. I stopped playing for many years. I started playing again at the age of 63. I noticed that I was dropping sticks once in a while, like every 10th song. I think my grip was a little weak.
I tried some Zildjian Drumstick wax. It worked great except that I found out that I was doing micro adjustment like Tony said. It was very natural to me. Moving the sticks in my hands as I play especially to reposition the fulcrum point of the stick. The wax would not allow me to easily do this.

Then I tried the Zildjian Black Dip sticks. Really great sticks. They worked perfect. However, After playing with them for a while the coating begins to peal off. A pair of drums sticks last me a long time. About 3 months or more. I donít use rim shots a lot. As Bermuda said cross sticking is an issue with coated sticks. When I cross stick I use one coated and one non-coated stick.

I then discovered the Vic Firth Vic Grip stick. The one with the red coating. Vicís coating does not peal off. It is now my stick of choice. Great drum sticks !

One other thing. One night I forgot my coated sticks. So I played all night with un-coated sticks. I did not drop a stick. And I play loud rock and roll. What has happened is; after playing for about 18 months I have re-developed a nice strong grip. However, I still use the Vic Firth Grip Sticks just to be safe.

NOTE: When I was young and playing a big concert I would get nervous. And I would get sweaty hands. I used to put a little soda pop on my hands to help grip the stick. I found out that perfectly clean dry hands are not good for gripping a drum stick.

Old 11-27-2014, 02:06 AM
Platinum Member

I agree Hollywood Jim about Zildjian black coated sticks. I've been using them too and they do fall apart which I noted one of my snares sounded way off and realized lots of little flakes of rubber had migrated at the edge of the head and rim, and altered the sound. Once I cleaned it out it was fine, but I inspect for invader rubber if I use them.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:30 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post

I cannot stand dipped or wrapped sticks .... and wearing gloves is just ridiculous to me
Hear, Hear!

I'm not one for tape or gloves (or barefoot playing either for that matter).
Old 11-28-2014, 12:45 AM

I'll throw this in because nobody's mentioned it yet. I use Headhunters drumsticks. They're made in Canada with Canadian Rock Maple (the ones I use, Maple Grooves), and have a proprietary natural wax finish applied that's supposed to get just a bit tacky as they warm up. I use Maple Grooves in 'BBB' and 'C' sizes, which are a little bit thicker at the neck & shoulder than your typical 5B/2B sticks, but because they're maple, they're actually lighter.

http://headhuntersdrumsticks.com/products.html

If that's not grippy enough, they also have 2 other grip options, Grip Control & Extreme Grip, but I've never had the need for it.

http://www.headhuntersdrumsticks.net/grips/

EDIT: I just had another thought...I play ice hockey a couple times a week. The sporting goods stores usually sell little round cakes of stick wax (brand name "Sex Wax", believe it or not) and you rub this on your stick blade after taping it up. It's resistant to moisture and helps the stick blade grip & rip the puck. That stuff is quite sticky on the fingers. I imagine this could be a cheap option, rub it on your stick if you have issues with sweaty palms...when playing the drums, that is! (Insert wide-eyed smiley here.)

Last edited by Coelacanth; 11-28-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:20 AM

When I was learning traditional grip I had the same issue with the stick sliding. By the end if a song I'd have covered the entire length of two sticks at least. This went on for months.

I didn't ever really practice solely technique, and especially not the sliding thing. My remedy was just to keep it in mind while playing. Not to force it. After a month or two it wasn't sliding any more and now, a year later, I have a good, solid fulcrum.

That would never have happened if I had used grip or tape.

When a child is learning to use a knife and fork they get better at it by just doing it. No special practice. If you had used a 'fork grip' or something as a child, imagine now going out to a restaurant and not being able to eat because they don't have grips on their forks.

Could lead to a sticky situation if you're ever at a jam night without your own sticks, etc. With drums it pays to be reliant on as little as possible I think.

Plus, the one time I tried the wrap it tore my hands up something awful. So I'm a little biased against it.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:18 AM

i havent been playing long, i practice rudiments on pad about 1 hr a day and on the jam on the kit about the same i dont loose the sticks, but after a while my grip is almost at the end of the stick and i have to readjust my grip. am i holding to loosely?or is this just something that happens?is tape or a sticky wax the fix? or maybie a fatter stick? i use vic firth 5a or 5b some with nylon tips thats what feels best to me, but i think as i get better i can see myself loosing the stick,
Old 03-17-2015, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

I don't care which brand of stick, if I wash my hands bf I play, I'll have no grip, the stick will slide. On a break and use the bathroom, nope, I don't wash my hands.

The oils that come out of my hands mixed with the prevailing dirt provides the perfect grip for me.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post

^This

My brother used to drop sticks all the time. So he started wrapping his sticks in this grip tape stuff, and even bought a pair of over-hyped pair of Ahead gloves. Guess what? He still dropped sticks. Because he had poor grip.

Aside from people with arthritis or other underlying physical conditions which would weaken grip strength, I just really feel like we tend not to hold ourselves accountable for the grip issue.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

I have some issues with sliding sticks, most often due to clean dry hands in a low humidity environment. I tried a set of the dipped sticks but find them to cause more friction and they do deteriorate leaving little imperfections I can feel. Not a big deal but not as comfortable. I do find some sticks to be slicker than others. I tried some Vic Firth black sticks that were just too slippery. I find I make some adjustments as the stick moves within my grip, no big deal. Also I think as you try to have a loose grip I tended to have issues until it became more comfortable, likely because of some minor adjustments made without thinking along the way.

I do have some arthritis in my hands and I wonder whether I will need to make some other adjustments later. I like that idea of tape on the fingers. Mght have to try that.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:19 PM

Dr. Zogg's Sex Wax, warm water formula ~ $2.00. I always have a puck of it in my stick bag. A light application on each stick gives me a good no-slip grip throughout the gig.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:20 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have had issues in the past and found that most of the fault is in concentrating on what I'm doing. I dipped my own sticks, even made a thread on it with photos, but that got to be tedious, so now I take a big white candle, the cheap dollar ones, and drag the butt end through a groove I made in it and that works fine. It does wear off in due time but leaves no mess and you can still feel the stick.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:48 PM

When i had grip issues (while using cheap, unfinished sticks), i just used hockey tape on the butt ends of my sticks. Worked great.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
So I ask the community, is this not likely a technique issue, or are there styles, facets, and peculiarities of drumming that I've not yet encountered where slippage is a real issue?
I was dropping a lot of sticks when I was green and had poor technique. The stick drops became less and less frequent as I got better and improved my technique. So now, I just keep a couple sticks within reaching distance for that rare drop. Never had an issue with the sticks "creeping up," as you described. (My struggle with creeping had to do with my kick pedal technique, but that's another story.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I have some issues with sliding sticks, most often due to clean dry hands in a low humidity environment.
This was a problem for me, as well. It may seem counterintuitive, but dry hands can be really slippery on some surfaces. I keep a small container of hand lotion in my gig bag to put on before the show and it helps a lot.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:36 AM

I'm sure others have mentioned this but...

Slipping is good! To play the drums, you need the stick to move. The tighter you hold the stick, the more you keep your sticks from moving. You want the least amount of friction you can get away with. When you are doing it right, it feels like you are losing control.

As far as sliding up the stick, I have a trick for you. Get in the habit of "listening" for the feel of the stick in your hand. Tune in to the touch, the vibration as the stick hits the drum, and the feel of the balance of the stick. Once you get in the habit of including this in your awareness, then you will never, ever have this problem again AND you will discover the superhuman ability to snatch a dropped stick before it goes more than a few inches out of your hand, automatically, without thinking. The best part is that this will not only improve your technique but your feel as well.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lamb View Post
Get in the habit of "listening" for the feel of the stick in your hand. Tune in to the touch, the vibration as the stick hits the drum, and the feel of the balance of the stick.
Very good point, I learnt about this on a practice pad and you know when you're doing it right because of the sound.

This is why I can't stand grip sticks/dip sticks/stick tape, if the stick is loose in your hand and you're relying on no friction for speed they will destroy your hands with really painful blisters. Plus they encourage over gripping.

Gloves take away all the feel.

I also had an issue with regal tip, they were overvarnished and I had to sand the varnish off before I could use them. I went through a phase of using quantum 9000s why did they stop making them!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

I use the Zildjian drumstick wax.

I bounce around between different sticks from different manufacturers. Some are simply more slippery than others. Couple that with drier hands in the wintertime, and it becomes an issue for me. I find the dipped sticks to be "too much." Gloves? No way! With the wax, I've learned to apply it for that "just right" feeling.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Ghostnote

I've tried different tapes, wraps, dips, etc, and they all seem to absorb some of the vibration of the stick to varying degrees and make it feel dead to me. I just rub my sticks with a candle now. I haven't seen Gorilla Snot for years, but if it's still available, it works really well too. I also use a non-greasy moisturizing cream before I play and that vastly improves my grip. I also tried rosin for a while and it was ok, but I prefer candle wax.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Zildjian & Vic have sticks dipped in rubber for added grip.
Same dip you can get from Home Depot for dipping your tools in.

Pro Mark has basic models (7A, 5A, 5B) available with a thick lacquer "grip".

Regal Tip also uses the thick lacquer on all it's models.

If your hands stay dry (like mine) then the lacquered sticks stick like glue. One of the main reasons I use Regal Tip.

If your hands tend to sweat, Zildjain, Vater, Regal Tip, & Pro Mark offer models with a raw "natural" finish. Once your hands get moist, the stick grips more...

Ahead, Vater, Pro Mark, & Vic Firth all offer grip tape as well.
YouTube