DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:08 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Lady Gaga on the Oscars.

Always thought she was a Madonna wannabe ..::. still do.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
Are the badges facing outwards?
No, they just cover the bits you want to see.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachikara-Tharakan View Post
I knew it...she got it all from the boy on her left.
Mick must be standing on a box in that shot, there is no way he is taller than Charlie.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
If that were the case all of the Hair bands, KISS, Motely Crew and a host of others who are never themselves on stage, but only acts, could never be accepted as musicians using your example. Liberace, Elton John and his glasses collection, all showmen, but still musicians. Billy Joel, composer and piano player, certainly a mucisian.
And your point is???

Back to Gaga. Decent voice when singing the standards but I couldnt name one of her solo hits. I only know her through the media commenting on her outfits, and the stuff she did with Tony Bennett.

There are a lot of talented female artists out there writing there own material, Gaga has a decent voice but so far she is a triumph of form over function.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Back to Gaga. Decent voice when singing the standards but I couldnt name one of her solo hits.
How do you make Lady Gaga mad?

Poker face

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 02-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
And your point is???

Back to Gaga. Decent voice when singing the standards but I couldnt name one of her solo hits. I only know her through the media commenting on her outfits, and the stuff she did with Tony Bennett.

There are a lot of talented female artists out there writing there own material, Gaga has a decent voice but so far she is a triumph of form over function.
I think if you read my post my point is quite clear. wsabol was making a statement that he couldn't take any musician seriously, " and their woredrobe(sic) choices and their musical choices fit the overarching message of their work," as if their costumes fit the song when indeed they were, as is Gaga's, just an attention getter. part of the show.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think if you read my post my point is quite clear. wsabol was making a statement that he couldn't take any musician seriously, " and their woredrobe(sic) choices and their musical choices fit the overarching message of their work," as if their costumes fit the song when indeed they were, as is Gaga's, just an attention getter. part of the show.
Are you saying that the Santa at the mall isn't the real Santa, and David Bowie isn't really a space alien from Mars?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I'm not saying anything else. Seems that some people read half a post and then are so busy trying to write a response they don't remember to read the other half. Have fun.....
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM
Silver Member

I've always seen Lady Gaga as someone who stands out from other artists, not just because of her outfits either. She's the only one that seemed to have her own agenda rather than following the monster that the pop music industry is.

The ridiculous outfits and acts are all just attention grabbers, it's how she plays the game and she does it well. If it gets people talking about you it's working. She made her haters and they give her all the advertisement she needs.

She's a real musician and seeing her in studio with Tony really solidified that for me. It's clear that she has a lot of fun making music and that's what it's really all about.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Gold Member

This thread is similar to the Neil Peart thread a couple weeks ago. Some people cannot seem to separate taste and preference from talent and skill. I never owned a single Michael Jackson record/CD, not my taste, but if you cannot see his talent then you are not looking at the performer objectively. And yes I do believe singers are musicians.

I have a guilty pleasure of watching American Idol. I enjoy seeing these people rise, or fall, to the occasion. And there is talent there. Forget the BS about creating a star, I am not into that.

My point about AI is that I saw Lady Gaga working with the contestants a couple years ago and was impressed with her then.

I think it was Gruntersdad that brought up Liberace. A perfect example of talent that is wrapped in a very bombastic character. Nonetheless a very talented musician.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I totally dismissed her without really knowing anything about her, my ignorance. My opinion of her did a 180 after seeing that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

I feel like I owe Ms. Gaga an apology for dissing her.
The whole "meat" dress a few years ago didn't help her cause when it came to taking her seriously.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I think the support given to music acts by labels in the removed past provided more than just time for musical development...it provided time for personal development.

Gaga's limited exposure to other acts out on tour while playing a supporting role hasn't given her as much time to mature and make decisions about how she wants to be presented.

Now she might be a bit stuck with her selected persona...though I will not be surprised if she transforms much like Bowie did from the 70's to the 80's.

Another reason for acts to have a development period, imho.

...though taste and talent don't always covariate.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmulcahy1 View Post
The whole "meat" dress a few years ago didn't help her cause when it came to taking her seriously.
The "wear a strange garment" thing has been done forever though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-GxX8ELnCw

^^
Another remarkable talent given a lot of crap for wearing a strange dress.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:52 PM

I didn't see the Oscars (it's not my thing) and I can't say I'm into Lady Ga Ga, but if she does actually compose her own songs regardless if you like it or not, I think she has earned some respect.
She said in an interview once that she got her stage name from the Queen song Radio Ga Ga and that she was a fan of the band. She even worked with Brian May.
Freddie Mercury said in interviews that you had to do something outrageous to get yourself noticed when you first arrived on the scene. Hence he wore the glamrock outfits of the era. He also said that people were often disappointed when they met him because they expected him to be strutting around like he did on stage. I think Lady Ga Ga has taken a lot of this philosophy and shaped it to her own means. Freddie changed over the years and I think in 10 years Lady Ga Ga will be quite different and probably more mature (not meaning that in a patronizing way but very probably a musical way) than she is now.
Like Freddie she may well say that she looked ridiculous back then, but it worked.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It was a poor attempt at a joke. I was saying that I dont take the bands mentoned seriously anyway, regardless of what they wear.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
The "wear a strange garment" thing has been done forever though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-GxX8ELnCw

^^
Another remarkable talent given a lot of crap for wearing a strange dress.
I thought this was going to be a link to Conchita Wurst.

But then I remembered, she is always beautifully dressed.