DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:22 AM
Platinum Member

Default What's your worst gig?

Back in the day ,played a gig in Hayward CA at a club called the Alpen Glow.

We were scheduled to go on at about 8.

Walk into gig and another band is shooting a TV spot for a local public access TV personalty ( powder blue tux and all ) .

It's 6:30,then 7 ,then 8 ,the bass player has to go to work a 11 and they are just reshooting over and over.

It's 9:30 and finally it's time to set up and the club owner asks up if we brought our own PA,his costs $25 bucks to rent.

WTF?

We say screw you ,set up a spare bass cab as a PA and play the gig.

Bass player barely gets out to work on time and we say thank you ,we won't be back.

Karma is a b!tch as they say,the club owner got busted for a couple of keys of coke a few months later.

Too bad:)
Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: What's your worst gig?

Once somebody's amplifier broke. The guitar player borrowed an amp but it sounded really bad. Really bad.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:00 PM

Went all the way to Flint to play some place that we hadn't before. We find some place to park, two go to go see what the load-in situation was, and three of us stay with the gear and played hacky-sack. So it's dusk and there's broken syringes in this parking lot and it's almost a half hour until the singer and guitarist come back. We find out that the set time list we got was backwards and we were actually supposed to play first instead of last, and they're not going to stay open another 40 minutes for us. They apologized and promised us another show, and we've since played it twice and it was fun. If you see a bloody "AJ" monogram on the wall of the 432, it's because I busted a knuckle on my tom rim last time and I didn't want it to be for nothing.

Anyways, we're headed back home and I'm calling everybody that I can think of that would want a private metal concert, since we don't want this to be a total waste. One girl actually thinks it would be cool, but it wouldn't work tonight, so she asks us to play her open house instead. A month before said open house, she left home or got kicked out and moved to Flint.

We end up inviting a bunch of people over to watch us play in my basement. Of all of them, two girls show up, one being our biggest fan/photographer and the other her foreign exchange student. We bust out all the strobes and blacklights to make it more exciting/hard to see. We run through our set and then me and the guitarist jam while everyone else plays pool and raids the fridge.

I guess it wasn't that bad in hindsight. But it's not the first time we've played for two people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankowske View Post
I am the best drummer in the world.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:37 PM
"Uncle Larry"

My worst gig, I walked out on. 3 guys were supposed to set up on a 4 x 4 stairway landing in an Italian restaurant.

Then the manager started joking saying I could set up on this landing and the 2 other guys could set up on the landing across the room. As they were all laughing, I was too, but after I was done fake laughing, I said, Yea, I'm outta here.

I really did not like the guy who hired me in the first place. He was very rude to my wife at a jam once, and he is just a crappy human being in the first place. I told him, I couldn't believe he dragged me all the way out here in rush hour traffic for this. Then I told him never to call me again. I just don't suffer fools well.

The other 2 ended up doing the gig on the 2nd floor, where no one was, and they got stiffed by the manager at the end of the night, so I was glad I bagged it.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

My very first public gig. It was outdoor private party with two bands. We used the other bands PA. I was part of the other band for a while and thought we were good friends and parted as such. But I swear they sabotaged the monitor feed. I was hearing my band mates sound bouncing off of a wall of rocks and buildings about 200 feet away and was decidedly behind the beat! They were all looking at me like I was an alien. I was too young and green to realize the monitor feed was the issue. We manged to make some adjustments but the whole night was a struggle and I am certain it did not help us sound like a tight band.

There was a positive to the night however. I got together with the girl that became my wife a very sort time later. Still with her 35 years later!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

>a local public access TV personalty ( powder blue tux and all )

This is how bad the guy was:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvDufiN69g4
Old 02-20-2015, 07:03 PM

We were hired to play a party at an apartment complex clubhouse. We were to get a portion of the door. Just after set up, a vicious thunderstorm popped up with lightning cracking everywhere. A few minutes later, the power was knocked out and stayed off for about three hours. By the time the power came back up, there was nobody left, so we ate free pizza, packed up and went home.

Nobody's fault, just one of those things...
Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 PM
Platinum Member

Not my worst gig,but after New Years the local AF of M would hold a dinner buffet for all the dues paying members.

Since it was after New Years (best paying gig of the year) members would talk about how the show went.

One polka group remarked about all the free booze they got at the gig,but the accordion player got so wasted he threw up on his instrument in the middle of a song on stage.

Ah,nostalgia!

Had another friend that at a gig ,got so wasted he thought he would do a Jan Hammer guitar pose with his Yamaha DX7 synthesizer while on stage.
No straps and can you say dropped it and it busted into more than a few pieces?
Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I was hearing my band mates sound bouncing off of a wall of rocks and buildings about 200 feet away and was decidedly behind the beat!
Something similar happened to me once. I was playing a gig and carpenters next door were hammering away. It was impossible for band members to distinguish between the hammer sounds and drum sounds. Our timing was way off.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:11 PM
Platinum Member

We were invited to support the King Crabs, Jimmy Nails band before he did Spender etc back in 1980. It was at a local CIU club on a Sunday lunchtime. When walking to the stage I clocked the lunchtime audience and thought "I dont want to be here" Talk about rough, never seen so many scowls,tatoos, cigarettes and scars.

We were a post punk 4 piece doing all original stuff and were using the headliners backline and kit.

The kit was a nightmare for me. The King Crabs were an R n B band and the drummer had his hats locked open for that sloshy sound. I used a lot of complex hats patterns at the time so It sounded awfull and threw me. Also the hats were set very low so I was constantly whacking the back of my left hand with my right stick, my hand came up like a baloon after the set. The kit was covered in tape and the BD seemed to be full of pillows, there was virtualy no rebound from the pedal.

We smashed through 8 songs and got off the stage waiting to see what Jimmy could come up with. During the break a stripper came on!!! My wifes face, and that of the other guys spouses, was a sight to see. There for a Sunday out they were looking to reason to get out.

Although a Sunday lunchtime the girl on stage took everything off, a big surprise to me as she looked like a young housewife. This was proven when her husband whisked her away to shed her clothes at another club.

I have to say, though, Jimmy and the band were great, that guy can play the harmomica.

Just to say, my hand finaly recovered last week, 31 years on.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:34 PM

I was in a math rock band that was booked to play at this cafe/bar with a performance space at the front of it. The guy who ran the cafe booked the shows, he'd heard mp3's of us, so was aware of what we sounded like (loud). Two songs in he comes up to the singer and says that we're too loud, and if we don't stop playing and leave he will call the cops! So we played one more song, for the hell of it, while he mimed making a phone call and then ran towards the back of the cafe where I'm assuming the phone was. We then packed up and left, bringing the crowd who'd come to see us with us, leaving him with a nice quiet and completely empty venue!
Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
math rock band ?

My fave was Don Caballero from my neck of the woods in SW PA.

First heard them at a CD store around the Pitt campus back in the 90's.

Didn't hear that term till much later on.

Not too much airplay around here(wonder why?).
Old 02-24-2015, 01:34 AM

Set up for a show in SF. The gig was supposed to start at ten and my band was on at 11:00. We get in, load our amps and drums on stage at eight. The opening act rolls in at 8:15 and starts setting up. Slowly. The drummer unpacks a 9,000-piece kit and takes his sweet time blocking our gear. He's assembling the thing from nut-and-bolt status. They have their crap together by 11:00 and start to empty the club with what sounds like a free-form unmusical exploration. All we can do is wait for it to be over so we can unload and go home without playing a note.

Good times.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcajon64 View Post
Set up for a show in SF. The gig was supposed to start at ten and my band was on at 11:00. We get in, load our amps and drums on stage at eight. The opening act rolls in at 8:15 and starts setting up. Slowly. The drummer unpacks a 9,000-piece kit and takes his sweet time blocking our gear. He's assembling the thing from nut-and-bolt status. They have their crap together by 11:00 and start to empty the club with what sounds like a free-form unmusical exploration. All we can do is wait for it to be over so we can unload and go home without playing a note.

Good times.
Most of the gigs we played in SF were OK,but I remember we played the Stone (now a strip bar on Broadway)and the table at which our roadies and following were seated (about 20 people)got kicked out because one of the roadies let an underage chick have a sip of his beer.

When they say no underage drinking ,they mean it.