DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 PM

Default Re: Attention Tune-Bot Owners!

Well, mostly I was learning how to tune a drum and how to use the tunebot. How much to turn a lug, how hard to hit the head and where... whether moving the tunebot mattered....
I think changing the tuning now will take 5 to 10 minutes per head, and I'll get faster. I'm a beginner at this!

make that 3 to 5 once I pick a pitch. longer to get the drum to pitch. So I'm a few cents shy of D now, and less ringing. Bottom is at 250, will go up a touch more on the bottom.

Last edited by TWerner; 11-28-2012 at 12:15 AM. Reason: new info
Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp84 View Post
hi guys,

i'm a bit late to the party but thought i should chip in.

i had very good results with my little gretch catalina bob kit. the tunebot was deadly accurate and very consistent.

however i did have some problems tuning my ludwig supraphonic snare with the tunebot. I was getting inconsistent readings that were varying with each hit. i know that i'm hitting the drum very consistently and feel that is not the problem.

i'm guessing that my metal snare might be sending out more overtones and this confuses the device. i tune my drums on top of a cushion to dampen the overtones. however I then dampened the drum further by putting a piece of moongel in the middle of the drum. i found that the tune bot was then much more consistent for my metal snare.

might be worth trying if people are still having consistency issues? hope this helps.
I have had much success tuning my toms and bass drum.. But when it came down to my Chad Smith Signature snare? ?I'm getting all kinds of whacked out readings.. I have not had a chance to get new heads. But that is the only thing I can think of. These heads are rather old, and this snare drum is rather sensitive. Just like your Ludwig. Hope this helps..
Old 12-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichArab View Post
I have had much success tuning my toms and bass drum.. But when it came down to my Chad Smith Signature snare? ?I'm getting all kinds of whacked out readings.. I have not had a chance to get new heads. But that is the only thing I can think of. These heads are rather old, and this snare drum is rather sensitive. Just like your Ludwig. Hope this helps..
Filter is on and bottom head completely muffled?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM

I may have missed it, but I read through the first couple pages, No one mentioned, and i don't think anyone noticed that when dude was showing the inconsistencies of the TB in the video, he had MUSIC PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND?? That may effect the performance of a microphone based tuner, no??
Old 01-22-2013, 01:19 PM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzology View Post
I may have missed it, but I read through the first couple pages, No one mentioned, and i don't think anyone noticed that when dude was showing the inconsistencies of the TB in the video, he had MUSIC PLAYING IN THE BACKGROUND?? That may effect the performance of a microphone based tuner, no??
I haven't heard the thread that you're talking about, but under normal circumstances this shouldn't affect the Tune Bot's display. The Tune Bot is an impulse type of sampler which is activated by the impulse noise of the stick hitting the drum, If you would take the Tun Bot near a music source under normal listening conditions, it shouldn't activate. I would imagine that the sound of the drum is much closer to the Tune Bot's sensing microphone than that of the music.

BTW, having tried two units, I'm in no way an advocate of the Tune Bot in any stretch of the imagination for use as a tuning device.

Dennis
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Gold Member

I use 10 12 14 16/22 with a 13 snare. tuned in F# Major. 14 tom is F#, 16 tom is lower C#. 12 tom is A# and 10 tom is C#. snare is F# and kick is F# as well . sounds just killer :)
Old 03-27-2013, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum4fun27302 View Post
I use 10 12 14 16/22 with a 13 snare. tuned in F# Major. 14 tom is F#, 16 tom is lower C#. 12 tom is A# and 10 tom is C#. snare is F# and kick is F# as well . sounds just killer :)

Drum4fun;

Can you post you lug frequencies top and bottom?

thx

jorn
Old 03-27-2013, 02:27 AM
Gold Member

Thing is. Once you drop that tension rod by half to a turn, the pitch goes down/frequency drops.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drum4fun27302 View Post
Don't you find you get a lot of sympathetic snare buzz tuned that way?
I tuned my son's 10 and 14 toms to 3C and 2F, and the 14" snare to 3F, and it was terrible. Moved the snare to a few cents shy of 3F# and snare buzz was so much better.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:59 PM
Gold Member

I don't have lots of it . Maybe because it is a 13" snare and things vibrate differently down there then on a 14???

To tell you the truth, I tunes the toms and left snare and kick alone. then droped the tension rods to get the decay I wanted. And then 2 days later, I check with the tuner "just to see". and everything was right on F# major. Was kinda "wow!!".
Old 07-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Pioneer Member

I have both the drumdial and the Tune-Bot, as I'm a sucker for anything new, particularly electronic.
I've come up with an interesting observation though.
In the past, while using the Drumdial, it was common practice for me to have the reso head on a tom, higher than the batter. A common setting for me was 78-80 on the reso, and approx a 75 reading on the batter.
Now, while experimenting with the Tune Bot's recommended, or calculated settings from their website, I have tuned a sample rack tom (13") using these settings. The Hz setting for the reso is predictably higher than the batter setting ( 196Hz reso / 182Hz batter), BUT when I check the drum using the Drumdial after, I show an 80 batter reading, but a 75 reso reading. I've never tuned my tom reso heads anything less than 78-82.
SO, does this now mean that I've been tuning my reso heads WAY too tight?
Now, we also know that a single ply reso will definately tune higher, faster with a higher reading than say a 2-ply coated Emperor on the batter.
I'm getting really confused over the settings on both these "tuning aids".
Any thoughts folk?
Cheers, Phil
Old 02-05-2015, 03:47 PM

Hi everyone, Brilliant site :)
Been playing drums for quite a long time and in truthfulness always tuned by ear and it sounds just fine, however in a fit of obsession I bought a Tunebot, it works fine and I've had no real problems apart from I play a 15 piece kit, an old Pearl Dyna family kit complete with Evans hydraulic skins, and here's my problem, the Tunebot will only give you 6 toms and it sounds terrible :(
Has anyone used the Tunebot with hydraulic skins?
And if you have does anyone have a recommended frequency for each Tom?
I was fine before I used it and now my poor Brian is so messed up I'm struggling to get the kit back the way it was
Cheers peeps
Glen
Old 02-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I haven't heard the thread that you're talking about, but under normal circumstances this shouldn't affect the Tune Bot's display. The Tune Bot is an impulse type of sampler which is activated by the impulse noise of the stick hitting the drum, If you would take the Tun Bot near a music source under normal listening conditions, it shouldn't activate. I would imagine that the sound of the drum is much closer to the Tune Bot's sensing microphone than that of the music.

BTW, having tried two units, I'm in no way an advocate of the Tune Bot in any stretch of the imagination for use as a tuning device.

Dennis
Dennis is right, it won't affect the tunebot. I actually tuned a piece of crap Backline kit at a loud Metal club while the soundguy had music blasting. I made this POS Pearl sound amazing, even the soundguy couldn't believe it.