How do you save up for gear purchases?

Sell all the stuff I dont need/use and put money aside every week. Also, im single, no kids, only payments I have are my phone bill and rent (I rent out a studio in my parents basement.)

That would be me in about two months. Allows you to save up tons of money eh?

Don't buy other stuff.

Actually, I don't buy that much gear anyway. There's usually enough gig money that I can justify pouncing on a snare or cymbal when a killer deal comes along. That is, I use normal money from my Silicon Valley tech job, but rationalize it by saying I got that much in gigs that month which got used to buy gas, lunches and such, so it's a wash. Then I usually sell off something else I'm not using much to make myself feel better about the whole thing.

If I anticipate a major purchase like a new kit (if we end up doing house band for some jam night I'll buy some used $600 shell set so people aren't beating on my D'Amicos) or some PA equipment then I'll consciously reign in my spending on other things so that excess builds up.

Buy 'em if you need 'em, play 'em if you buy 'em.

I usually put gear purchases way down on the priority list for spending. Heads, sticks, etc. as needed, but I try to buy in bulk during sales and stockpile. I have a huge pile of spare hardware parts to meet most needs. I buy things that are versatile and meet most of my playing needs, last a long time, and can stand up to repeated setups and teardowns. As an example, I have had a few of my cymbals for over 20 years, my Yamahas are coming up on their 20-year anniversary, and I have used the same stands for over 15 years.

Any big purchases (and by big I mean more than $50) are painstakingly researched, and then I comparison shop and get the absolute best price anywhere. Usually a purchase of that kind is a year or two in the making.

Right now our absolute priority is paying off the house and getting a new car for my wife; following that we have some patio furniture, a new TV, and new computers to budget in the next three years. I have learned to accept that no matter all the new and cool stuff on the market, what I own (two sets, about 15 cymbals, three snares) covers all the playing situations I'm likely to be asked to play in my area -- I don't need anything else at the moment. Would I like some more stuff? Sure! But I'm choosing to be patient enough to wait until after these important life and home needs are taken care of. I had my wild spendy days when I was younger and it landed me in dozens of thousands of debt. After paying that off I feel I'm much better off buying wisely and being a good steward of the gear I own.

Funny to see this today, Paypal just upped my limit for the "PayForItLater" thing.

I've used this to good effect, getting 6 months with no interest, then just paying it off at the last minute.

I've decided to use the credit card companies in this manner. LET them give me interest-free time. I'll just use them like they've used me in the past. :)

Back