DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Good In-Ear Earphones/Monitors for drumming?

yo!

whenever i want to play with music by myself or during concerts using monitors and all i've always used my average in ear earphones(audio technica) and while they're great for just listening to music on your ipod they really suck when it comes to being like monitor earphones and blocking out enough sound from your drums/guitars etc.

i dont really want to get monitor earphones though i also want something that is comfortable enough for simple listening.you know,a little of both(audiophile and monitor)

so it'd be great if you recommended me some good ear phones that can work as monitors well! by the way is it good to use monitor earphones to just listen to music on your ipod? meaning if i get monitor earphones they will work well for both purposes(listening,monitor)?

dont mind spending a few hundred dollars btw but nothing over like....400. looking at eytmotic and shure.

Last edited by whoreian; 06-29-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: a little more detail!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Good In-Ear Earphones/Monitors for drumming?

You can try the Shure SE215 ($99) or the SE315 ($200). Both of those are great for everything.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Pioneer Member

I've used the Shure ec2 iso phones quite a bit and they look very similar to the SE215 pair. See if they come with the replaceable foam plugs, they isolate better than the rubber ones.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:10 AM
Silver Member

I'll second the SE215's. I have the SE115's that I got right as they were discontinued and they are great for in-ears. They isolate pretty well, but if you need more you can always make some custom ear molds for them, either professional ones or even these:

http://www.howtogeek.com/57481/how-t...-ear-monitors/

http://www.amazon.com/Radians-Earplu.../dp/B004EYKEPY

I'm planning on getting the Radians mold and trying it, simply because the regular foam tips sometimes wiggle out a bit. I think the molded ones would stay in longer.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:30 AM

For the past few months I've been using a pair of Shure SCL5 in ear monitors. They're dual driver, sound great, seal well and have a durable cable. This model has been replaced
in the Shure product line by the SE425 which has field replaceable wires.

I think the bass response is particularly good. I use these with a Shure PSM400 system which has a limiter to keep the guitar players from giving you a stomp-pedal lobotomy.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:47 AM
Gold Member

I use the JH-16s....best money ever spent. 8 drivers per ear....stunning clarity.

F
Old 06-30-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
I use the JH-16s....best money ever spent. 8 drivers per ear....stunning clarity.

F
omg you use JH-16s!!?!?!?! they're super expensive! my goodness i cant imagine the quality of the sound coming out of those...you must be a very happy man hahaha
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoreian View Post
omg you use JH-16s!!?!?!?! they're super expensive! my goodness i cant imagine the quality of the sound coming out of those...you must be a very happy man hahaha
I use the best stuff available (if I can swing it). I subscribe to the notion of 'you get what you pay for' and the JH16s are worth every dime.

F
Old 07-01-2011, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian View Post
I use the best stuff available (if I can swing it). I subscribe to the notion of 'you get what you pay for' and the JH16s are worth every dime.

F
damn i need to find a pair in my country to listen....my ears would melt
Old 06-21-2012, 10:36 PM

I have been using Alclair (used to be LiveWires) for the past 5 or 6 years and I am totally happy with them. I have a triple driver system and they give plenty of low end without being muddy. I have been wearing in ears of some type for the past 8 years and I wish I had started using them much earlier as I am sure my hearing would be much better. If you are considering In Ears I would give Alclair a call and they can help you. Alclair.com is the website and they will be able to help find monitors that suit your needs.

Happy Drumming.

Tony
Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 AM

These are at the upper end of your limit but I can certainly recommend them:

http://www.alienears.com/products/18...-crd-mitr.aspx

Problem I found without the ambient hole is that they work too well. Now I am in a band that only uses an inner ear system - it doesnt matter so much.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 AM
Gold Member

Get a Shure p4hw and a set of their earbuds and you will never need anything else, use the foam sleeves instead of the rubber ones and they will isolate better as well as stay in your ears without fear of them coming out by accident. I have been using one for over 10 years and have never had a problem using it no matter what system i needed to tie into at any venue. It clips on your hip and has 2 lines in that can be either 1 stereo in or 2 mono in's and allows you to pan between them, ( i put my vocals in one and the FOH in the other), you control your own volume, has built in limiter and eq settings, runs off battery or phantom power and has adapters for xlr or 1/4". The Unit sells for about $279 and around $100 for the earbuds.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 AM
Anthony Amodeo

I used Sure SE215 for years and loved them .....they crapped the bed about 3 months ago and I bought a pair of Beats ear buds and they are 10x better than the Sures...the sound quality, comfort, design and overall quality is far superior

the flat cables will never dry out and crack on you and they come with bendable ear brackets that clip on to the buds so you dont have to wrap the cable around your ears

they are about $130.00 and worth every penny
Old 06-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Platinum Member

Not to hijack... I've been toying with the in-ears idea. I've been stuffing in foam ear plugs and blasting cans over the top of them. Wouldn't piping that much sound (from in-ears) directly into your ear canal do quick damage to your hearing? I'm ignorant on this so enlighten me please.

My Band
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Not to hijack... I've been toying with the in-ears idea. I've been stuffing in foam ear plugs and blasting cans over the top of them. Wouldn't piping that much sound (from in-ears) directly into your ear canal do quick damage to your hearing? I'm ignorant on this so enlighten me please.
I dont think Ive damaged my hearing at all

been using them for years

they seal off the sound pretty well so you dont have to turn them up very loud

kinda like earplugs that sound comes out of ...you can keep them pretty quiet and still have them be very affective

Ive always been protective of my hearing....its all I have
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 AM
Gold Member

you have full control of the volume with IEMs. So you can dictate how much of the mix you want to hear.

F
Old 06-23-2012, 05:11 AM

Really happy with my Etymotic Research HF-5's . . . low price too. It will take a few weeks to get used to shoving the plugs into your ears, but it's well worth it. Custom fit would be better, I'm sure. I just use the large tri-flangers.

Very low price - I've never lost mine, but if I did it wouldn't be TOO bad. Not like losing a $400 set!

I can ride on the back of the bus and only raise the volume about 10% to hear as well as alone in my bedroom. I will admit that the lows get muttled in that kind of situation, but there is really no way around that.

-sheldon
Old 06-23-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post
I used Sure SE215 for years and loved them .....they crapped the bed about 3 months ago and I bought a pair of Beats ear buds and they are 10x better than the Sures...the sound quality, comfort, design and overall quality is far superior

the flat cables will never dry out and crack on you and they come with bendable ear brackets that clip on to the buds so you dont have to wrap the cable around your ears

My HF-5's have both the problems you mentioned. I'll be taking a look at the Beats when these go out.

-sheldon
Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvdadrummasum View Post

Which model, please?

\,,/
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
...I use these with a Shure PSM400 system which has a limiter to keep the guitar players from giving you a stomp-pedal lobotomy.
HaHa. Great feature!

\,,/
Old 06-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Jack Boyd
This message has been deleted by Jack Boyd.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Anthony Amodeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Boyd View Post
Which model, please?

it says Tour on the box
they are the flat Monster cable collaboration

here is a pic
Old 06-24-2012, 01:26 AM

Klipsch S-4. Excellent sounding especially the bass and the isolation is off the charts. (Make sure they go in your ear right. They go in a bit far. If you don't get excellent bass they aren't in right)
Old 06-24-2012, 03:09 AM

before you shell out big money, try out the skull candy ink'd earbuds, for 10 theres literally nothing better

ive used lots of different headphones up to 200 and the ink'd earbuds always come out on top

even if they break they are so cheap it doesnt matter
Old 07-07-2012, 10:56 PM

My Etymotic Research HF-5's just shorted out on the left side. This is the second time it's happened, and this is actually a replacement pair they sent me about a year ago. The warranty technically expired last week (bad luck!), so I'm hoping they send me another pair. If not, I'll likely go for the Beats.

Love the sound of the HF-5's, but I can't have them breaking every year. Too expensive.

-sheldon
Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreg View Post
My Etymotic Research HF-5's just shorted out on the left side. This is the second time it's happened, and this is actually a replacement pair they sent me about a year ago. The warranty technically expired last week (bad luck!), so I'm hoping they send me another pair. If not, I'll likely go for the Beats.

Love the sound of the HF-5's, but I can't have them breaking every year. Too expensive.

-sheldon
Hey..iv been a drummer since i was 6 and iv tryd so many inears and headfones while drumming at my church..im 17 now and from all my experience the best headfones ive ever used are the WESTONE UM3X they r amazin..you can go to www.westone.com and find them.they're abit priceybut they are worth it..my father has them and thet come with a 2 yr warranty and they have lasted 3 yrs so far..i plan on getting the ES5 by westone..i highly recomend the.UM2 and the UM3X..HOPE THIS HELPS!..:)
Old 09-29-2013, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
There are two reasons why I would strongly recommend molded IEMs like Sensaphonics. And this is one of them. You want some 20dB+ of isolation to which you can add low levels of monitor mix so that the overall level at your ears isn't excessive.

I think you can get the single driver version for about the same as sleeves and Shure buds.

The other thing is that having used both consumer buds and molded IEMs, it is a real pain when the bud starts slipping out. You loose bass response and start getting more stage noise. Molded earpieces go in, stay in, and if they're well made and soft like the Sensaphonics, are much more comfortable to have stuck in your ears for 3 hours a night.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:12 PM

As Aeolian said;
+1 on the Sensaphonics - The ambient external noise cut is 37db. I've used Vic Firth earphones for quite some time, and the cut on ambient external noise is 28db tops. Another thing to consider is whether or not you sing back up and whether or not you play and are very animated facially. Singing and the like move your jaw, which results in minute changes in your ear canal structure. This is the primary reason why I decided to go with Silicone IEM's. Also, if you get IEMs, make sure you get a pair with Field Replaceable Wires.

Below is a rundown on the process to get fitted and have them built.

After quite a bit of research I decided to go with Silicone rather than the Acrylic. I chose to go with the folks from Sensaphonics rather than ACS for this first pair.

Went to an audiologist from Sensaphonics Certified Audiology Network and was really pleased to meet and work with him. After he completed my ear molds, we spoke for a few moments and I decided that I would come back in an hour when he had a free appt, and have my hearing checked. I wanted to get a baseline for where my hearing was prior to getting into the IEMs. I should note that I have made a commitment to my hearing and have protected it where possible. That said, when I was in the Mil in the early 80s, we did not use hearing protection on the range or any other time. I've also been to concerts sitting in the 8th row, and had ringing in my ears for 2 days after that. I communicated all this to the audiologist after the test. When I came out he said that I should be a spy, as my hearing is outstanding. I shared the ear damaging stories with him and he indicated that those events must not have crossed my permanent damage threshold. I was surprised.

Sent in the molds on Mon 9/16 and received my 2X-S IEMs 9-27. They built them in under a week. The organization provided outstanding comms and was quick to return my call & email. Upon receipt and checking them out, I am thrilled as they cut ambient external sound by far more than 28db (like my Vic Firth isolation headphones). Indications are that the ambient external noise cut is in the 37db range; Holy Cow!! When you wear them you can understand why some musician's don't like them as they make even normal speaking difficult unless you read lips. I can understand how in a performing environment with the crowd noise, would make speaking with people (with these IEMs in), next to impossible. I'm OK with the trade off. My hearing is worth it. Prior to these IEMs I performed with ear plugs in my ears and a JBL wedge to my left over my shoulder. I still use the wedge, but just for the bass 'feel' it gives me.
Attached Images

Last edited by G-2; 09-29-2013 at 03:51 PM.