DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:19 PM

Default Noise from the snare

When i hit my bass drum the snares starts to vibrate as well. Can even hear it as noise on some recordings. The snare drum is a 1971 acrolite. I suppose i am used to have it a little loose, is there any thing else i can do?
Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Noise from the snare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcHAFgafPkE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNNGBVA66Hk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq6oDRwhk-I

Hope this helps
Old 06-02-2013, 03:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
When i hit my bass drum the snares starts to vibrate as well. Can even hear it as noise on some recordings. The snare drum is a 1971 acrolite. I suppose i am used to have it a little loose, is there any thing else i can do?
Make sure your strings/ribbon are absolutely even in their application of tension across the wires. Detune each lug either side & at both ends of the wires by about half a turn. Just those two actions will minimise buzz, but you need to experiment a little. Good tuning will reduce buzz too. The more overtones the drum produces, the more it will vibrate in sympathy to external influence. Lastly, snare buzz is part of a live kit sound. It makes it real, it signifies it's a live acoustic instrument. Once minimised, embrace that buzz, just as a bass player embraces the sound of his fingers moving up & down the strings. It's part of the deal.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:04 AM
Gold Member

I've also found that an excessively "buzzy" snare can be helped by trimming off some of the snares with wire clippers. I take them from either side and of the center evenly so that there's still a symmetrical pull on the wires. You probably wouldn't want to do that with vintage snares on your drum, but it's a good way to experiment with fine tuning your drum for desired response and less buzz. I believe Gavin Harrison gets his snares down to as few as 8 strands.
billbachman.net
Old 06-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

The question is, ok that may take some of the buzz away, what will it do to the sound of the snare?
It's hard to get rid of the buzz without changing anything else. You can try putting the snare a little further away from the kick (this is easier if you have a bionic right leg) or in some forums you read about a mini kind of screen between the kick and the snare although I would not know how to fit that in comfortably. I agree with Keep it simple, learn to live with it.
Otherwise: e-drums don't buzz :)
Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 PM

You can also put a dot head as a reso. Get the 4" dot, and if there is a muffle ring Round the perimeter, carefully cut it away with a razor blade.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

tuning

learn it

love it
Old 06-05-2013, 05:03 PM

Snare buzz is one of life's few guarantees, just like death and taxes. Only e-kit drummers are exempt. You can rarely hear it in a good live setting (especially un-mic'd) and if it bothers you that much in studio, it should be easy to eliminate from the master copy. I've come to accept snare buzz, and acknowledge that all the things you might do to eliminate don't out way the end result, and in the end, you can never completely get rid of the buzz.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
tuning

learn it

love it

And, to some extent, get used to it.:)

I recently learned that most of the buzz comes from the tuning of the other drums.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

I kind of like my buzz. It gives weight to my toms, you know? There's a bigger sound overall from the rest of my kit.

Also: What everyone else said.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

I've always put a thin strip of duct tape on the reso head where the snare ends are, just big enough for the ends to seat against. The reso head itself was extremely tight, as was the snare itself. I also use a wider snare, like a 30 strand. Honestly I had more problems with wire breakage (yes I know why, would replace them about every 4-6 months) than I would snare buzz.

And yeah, what everyone else said too.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Gold Member

I have never had too much of an issue with this. I suspect it is because I really crank my snare reso. Nothing else is close enough in pitch for sympathetic vibrations.